The Players

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
So United have moved on from one extreme in Jose to the complete opposite in Ole when dealing with players and the outcome has been the same. So what manage is needed for this group of players and who.

Skills

Snitch
A competent coach (helps if he's purposefully not trying to shit the bed as well)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The players aren't good enough, no manager in the world would do anything with them

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's not the players fault we left our squad in a situation where 2 injuries makes it near impossible for us to win games.

I honestly think this is different from under Mourinho. Under him it looked like we weren't trying. Now it looks like a majority of players are trying but don't have any directive to go with it and are being handicapped by really poor squad management.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The players aren't good enough, no manager in the world would do anything with them
That's the easy way out, and not true. They aren't City, Liverpool, or even Tottenham level of quality, but they are far better than what they've shown the last few years, and especially this season.

Snafu17

They're not all the same players though. It's like we attempted to remove a tumour, but gave up have way through the operation, didn't remove the whole thing or stitched up the wound so we are now bleeding out.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Some of the players are terrible. Perreria, Fred, Young, Mata.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Exactly. Our squad quality is so desperately poor, no manager could get this team to perform at a decent standard.
Not really. The squad is poor but Ole has contributed to that by who he has let leave without replacing. We needed a midfieldee more in the sumner than we needed Maguire and it was obvious to everyone under the sun we didn't have enough goalscorers. A better manager would have stressed this better than Old has.

The set of players we currently have are also capable of performing much better than they are. They just muddle through games with no obvious direction or instructions.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The players just are not good enough. Mid-table standard (if that) and that is where we are. We sack Ole but what happens next? Until there is a fundamental overhaul of our squad we will continue to have the same conversations. We have bought sub-standard and largely crap players for 6 years now.

I do like the signings Ole brought in in the summer, particularly WB and Maguire, but they are surrounded by complete and utter dross.

charlenefan

That's the easy way out, and not true. They aren't City, Liverpool, or even Tottenham level of quality, but they are far better than what they've shown the last few years, and especially this season.
It is true. We have 3 sets of players

1- those who probably good enough to play for title winning sides if surrounded by WC players (Pogba, Rashford, Maguire)
2- those who are comfortably bottom half of the table PL players (Lingard, Mata, Matic)
3- those who belong in the championship/lesser European leagues (Andreas, Fred, Rojo)

Fact is our squad is comprised of mainly players in categories 2 & 3

Classical Mechanic

Agree, look at sides like Burnley and Bournemouth, their managers get more out of them than they should. Our squad is miles better than Burnley yet Dyche had them in 7th a couple of seasons ago.

jackal&hyde

So United have moved on from one extreme in Jose to the complete opposite in Ole when dealing with players and the outcome has been the same. So what manage is needed for this group of players and who.
A diferent group of players. The manager is not going to make a mark diference. The squad is sh3te and lacking in character.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Not really. The squad is poor but Ole has contributed to that by who he has let leave without replacing.

The set of players we currently have are also capable of performing much better than they are.
Which ones?

If United liquidated itself tomorrow I struggle to think of many of our players who would get into an Elite Club. DDG, Pogba, Maguire and maybe Martial.

The vast majority of our squad would end up at mid to lower league teams.

IrishMcD

It is true. We have 3 sets of players

1- those who probably good enough to play for title winning sides if surrounded by WC players (Pogba, Rashford, Maguire)
2- those who are comfortably bottom half of the table PL players (Lingard, Mata, Matic)
3- those who belong in the championship/lesser European leagues (Andreas, Fred, Rojo)

Fact is our squad is comprised of mainly players in categories 2 & 3
I agree with this bar completely disagreeing with you on Rashford. No where near good enough for a title winning team

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Who gives a shit about top 6?
It'd be a good start with this team, because it's undeniable that it needs reinforcements up front and in the middle. If they could consistently challenge for the top 6 this season, that would be a start at the very least that can be built on with a tactically sound manager who makes the right transfers happen but right now they're looking far off that.

ottosec

We probably need someone with Mourinho's skill and Ole's approach.

These players might not be the best, but they should be more than good enough to beat Palace, Alkmaar, Rochdale, Newcastle, and any other trash teams we failed to beat after the PSG game.

Copa Mundial

Not really. The squad is poor but Ole has contributed to that by who he has let leave without replacing. We needed a midfieldee more in the sumner than we needed Maguire and it was obvious to everyone under the sun we didn't have enough goalscorers. A better manager would have stressed this better than Old has.

The set of players we currently have are also capable of performing much better than they are. They just muddle through games with no obvious direction or instructions.
Curious as to what makes you say that? This group of players, under different managers have been utter dross for several years now.

Mata, Pereira, Rashford, Lingard, McT, Fred, Dalot have been given plenty of chances and have been average at best for so long now. These players should be nowhere near the first team.

jackal&hyde

Which ones?

If United liquidated itself tomorrow I struggle to think of many of our players who would get into an Elite Club. DDG, Pogba, Maguire and maybe Martial.

And Bissaka but yes, the squad is awful. This in on Woodward for not having a football philosophy in place at the club.

charlenefan

It'd be a good start with this team, because it's undeniable that it needs reinforcements up front and in the middle. If they could consistently challenge for the top 6 this season, that would be a start at the very least that can be built on with a tactically sound manager who makes the right transfers happen but right now they're looking far off that.
We've been consistently a top 6 side for the last 6 years? That's been the problem

Red00012

Agreed, players have actually got worse under Ole.

Rashford and Fred are at the top of my list. Fred has gone from bad to a league 2 player. A kid outplayed him today makkng his 1st PL start

Say Goodbye

Where do you think our squad stands in the league? I think our full team would be 6th. Without Martial and Pogba, about 9th. I also believe that many other managers in the Premier League could get us playing some half decent attacking stuff and that on paper we have one of the best defences.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Which ones?

I think that list is generous tbh. What I mean is that when you watch our performances a lot of the problems seem to stem from a lack of any organisation or tactical direction, rather than quality.

The players would struggle anyway, but we are THE least tactically organised team I have ever seen...i keep saying this but it's even the most basic things like working on corner or set piece routines, pressing as a unit, etc. It's impossible to say the players couldn't be doing better when you see them looking less prepared and organised than some school teams.

Curious as to what makes you say that? This group of players, under different managers have been utter dross for several years now.

Mata, Pereira, Rashford, Lingard, McT, Fred, Dalot have been given plenty of chances and have been average at best for so long now. These players should be nowhere near the first team.
See my above response.

This isn't really the same group of players either. I agree some of them lack quality, but it would be nice to see evidence of a style of play, or something we have worked on at some point. Teams with worse players than us look more like a team than we do. Newcastle for example. Rochdale.

Every single game is a struggle for us because they players seem to be just having to make it up as they go along.

It's not like you can say they aren't trying...there are a few who don't but then it's down to the manager not to pick them.

charlenefan

Where do you think our squad stands in the league? I think our full team would be 6th. Without Martial and Pogba, about 9th. I also believe that many other managers in the Premier League could get us playing some half decent attacking stuff and that on paper we have one of the best defences.
Well look at the XI today

De Gea - fairly pointless discussing the keeper as there's only so much a keeper can do to influence a performance

Dalot - was bought with only a handful of first team games for Porto to his name. It's probably fair to say if he left United he'd never be heard of ever again
Tuanzebe - harsh or not the only level he's proven at so far is the Championship. That's a fact
Maguire - on his own probably a upper half of the table CB. In the right squad probably good enough for a title challenger
Young - needs to retire and that's not hyperbole. He's done

McTominay - right now probably between a bottom half/championship level midfielder. Like Maguire though in the right side could be an asset
Fred - 100% if he leaves United he'll never be heard of again

Andreas - see above
Mata - absolute nothing player right now. Like Young should probably think about retirement
James - see Tuanzebe. Again harsh but true

Rashford - same category as Maguire/McTominay

Copa Mundial

I think that list is generous tbh. What I mean is that when you watch our performances a lot of the problems seem to stem from a lack of any organisation or tactical direction, rather than quality.

The players would struggle anyway, but we are THE least tactically organised team I have ever seen...i keep saying this but it's even the most basic things like working on corner or set piece routines, pressing as a unit, etc. It's impossible to say the players couldn't be doing better when you see them looking less prepared and organised than some school teams.

See my above response.

This isn't really the same group of players either. I agree some of them lack quality, but it would be nice to see evidence of a style of play, or something we have worked on at some point. Teams with worse players than us look more like a team than we do. Newcastle for example. Rochdale.

Every single game is a struggle for us because they players seem to be just having to make it up as they go along.

It's not like you can say they aren't trying...there are a few who don't but then it's down to the manager not to pick them.
Good reply, and I do agree with you that we appear very poorly coached, lack a game plan and seem tactically inept, but our biggest problem for me still lies with the lack of squad quality.

Its very depressing but I think we can all agree the Manager is poor, the players are poor and our recruitment dire. God help us!