The positive thread

Craig Ward

If Fred beds in well and Shaw starts the season well I'd be happy.

Keeping the same CB partnership is also key for me, so much rotation last year. Stick with Bailly and someone (fitness providing of course)

If our key plays remain at the level they did last season (Lukaku/DDG/Matic) and our other better players improve slightly (Pogba/Sanchez/Rashford/Martial/Lingard) then we will be in good shape.

Moaning or not, as long as the team play together and put some effort in, I think we'll be ok. Just hope the Mourinho show doesn't overshadow what is a good bunch of players

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not that anybody will care :lol: but I imagine that after ten years I’ll deactivate before the season. It’s not worth it, would sooner limit football chat to people I know and engage with by choice
Aye I know :lol: don't know if I will deactivate but I definitely don't post very much as I can't be bothered with the negativity. Mostly I just check for transfer tweets at the moment which is a shame, but hey ho.
I do enjoy the podcasts though and I like to ask the guys questions and they take time to answer them, it is always a measured response from the boys no matter their opinion which is good and I can't wait for the pod to start up again. So there is some positivity there! :D

Beaucoup

I think Fred will help the right side of attack, but the key for me is Sanchez, if he can start getting on the score sheet we’ll be ok.

AlexUTD

Lots of things that can be positives this season:

-Dalot can be a really good RB/LB that can cross the ball and defend.
-Fred can be the midfield link we have been missing for many seasons and elevate the team.
-Sanchez can play as good as we have seen him in Arsenal with a well deserved vacation (first in 4-5 years).
-Pereira looks like he has grown into a really good player, just like a new signing.
-Pogba maybe better understand what Mourinho want from him after playing well in WC where Dechamps wanted him to help more defensively and it was a success.
-Chong impressed and he learned alot from this tour.

Nikelesh Reddy

I feel that we need a positive thread in between all the doom and gloom here, so let’s look at the positives;

• Sanchez will most likely (certainly?) improve on last season. I just don’t see a player of his calibre not delivering this season.
  • Pogba is very likely to keep developing and improving too. He’s only 25 and most central midfielders peak in their late twenties.
  • We have lots of young players like Rashford, Lingard (not that young, but a late bloomer), Lindelöf, Bailly (again, center backs rarely peak at a young age) who will most likely improve.
  • Lukaku will probably only get better. He has only been here for a season.
  • We have a few ~world class players like De Gea, Pogba, Sanchez and Lukaku. Star players that are needed to win the biggest titles.
I don’t think it’s nearly as bad as some seem to believe. Oil Winton who is known to have connections within the club just said to the Scandinavian supporter club that the general mood within the squad is good.

Lastly, I read somewhere that the last time we had a pre season worse than this one in terms of points (it was before our last game) was in the summer of 98. We all know what happened after that :devil:. My point is that pre seasons rarely define the following season. Last pre-season we beat Real 3-1 early on IIRC. We met them a few weeks later in the super cup and it didn’t go very well. So let’s not make any judgements based on the pre-season performances. I remember some great-ish performances during the LvG pre-season. They rarely mean anything.
Results mean absolutely nothing in preseason,so I think most supporters aren’t really too concerned about the results...But the managers broody demeanour and the lack of transfer activity is a genuine cause for concern.For the record I definitely want Jose in charge for the next season or two,but I”m getting increasingly disillusioned with his negativity.

I just hope that this negativity doesn’t seep into the squad...i hope he’s conducting himself differently on the training ground and the dressing room...

bludsucker

All this negativity might be an eboue (a blessing in disguise) for the club. Might as well lower the expectations from this season and we might flourish without high expectations weighing the team down.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think Fred will help the right side of attack, but the key for me is Sanchez, if he can start getting on the score sheet we’ll be ok.
I think we're all expecting a lot more from Sanchez this season. With no additions to the attack over the summer, much of our hopes and expectations fall heavily on his shoulders to deliver on a consistent basis. With a full pre-season under his belt and no transfer distractions like he suffered last summer at Arsenal, he should be fully fit and determined to prove he's got it. No excuses, he simply must perform.

Pogba seemed to have matured over the course of the world cup campaign. If he can bring that same drive and determination back to the premier league, he will finally put the 'flop' tag to bed. Plus shut Souness up once and for all.

jmaggio

- The kit doesn’t look as shit on the players as i expected it would.

- genuinely think lindelof and bailly will have a good season

- Should have some bants moments when Jose meltdowns.

-Sanchez might have a great season

-We have a women’s team if everything with the blokes goes to pot

-Looks like Pogba will stay for at least this season, could be the making of him as a united player when going gets tough.

-We’ve kept De gea ! Not many of us expected that last year.

-Froidge has a chance of being a revelation in midfield.

- Lee Grant seems like an intelligent chap and I think will be a good coach for us one day.

-Carrick is going to get some good coaching experience under his belt.

I tried.

Long Ball

Wouldn't it be nice to have a positive thread the spurs discussion where WUM posts or purposeful attacking of the club and misery is outlawed

Nickthepip

So we’re optimistic because the third string keeper signed from Stoke has a decent IQ.

What’s that line from the James song about seeing such riches? Blimey.

Mike Smalling

I honestly think we are being underrated a bit, and that might be a good thing for us!

While the football was not great last season we still grinded out a lot of points and would have been contenders if not for City's historic season. There is still a month left of the transfer window, and with a couple of good signings (LB and RW) I think we would look solid. Sanchez, Lukaku and Pogba will only improve and I can't wait to see Fred in action.

I also haven't seen a lot of scary signings out of our main rivals. Admittedly Liverpool have brought in some useful players, but on the other hand they can't possible expect Salah to perform at the same level this year. Spurs have managed to keep their key players, but not much else - can't see them improving. City will find it hard to replicate last year's form.

Looking forward to the start of the season - will not pass judgement until I have seen us in action in a competitve game.

Nori-

We finished 2nd last year. The teams below us have to improve to make up that difference.

If we can sign another 2 players of decent quality it will make it that little bit harder to close the gap. Plus we dropped a lot of unnecessary points last season, less of that and we should finish in a respectable position.

Davs

Not asking for too much with this list:

Alexis will have a player of the year season
Lukaku & Rashford will go up another level
Pogba turns up consistantly week in week out
Fred turns out to be one of the best midfielders in the league
Pereira cements his place as a vital squad member
Bailly stays fit and shows he is one of the best defenders in the league
Shaw magically turns into the full back we hoped
Dalot turns out to be one of the best young talents in Europe
Jose gets his extra signing (or two)
Carrick and McKenna get us playing some fluid, exciting football
All the negativity pre-season has just been a Mourinho ploy and he surprises the world by winning the league. Journalists across the land feel pig sick. Pep has to take another sabatical. Klopp jumps off a bridge.
This my friend, would be fantastic.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku and Lingard to go up a level this year. A Top, fit new CB is incoming. Dalot and Fred will be absolute revelations. We’re winning the league this year.

EyeInTheSky

One thing I think may be being overlooked is that with our new look midfield and defined roles we will have far more confidence and ability going forward in midfield without having to be worried or exposed at the back which may have contributed to some of the limbo play at times.

Shiva87

I really get the feeling that the forum doesn't have that many negative posters - but the ones who are feeling more downbeat/ frustrated tend to post more often and more convincingly about their feelings :P

Would be great to test it out with a poll (Mods?) @Damien

Something like a poll on thoughts re 2018-19 season

In 2018-19, United will:

1. Win the league or UCL
2. Compete for the League (title challenge) or reach UCL final
3. Finish in the top 4 and win a cup
4. Finish outside the top 4, win nothing
5. Mourinho will implode and we will have a new manager by X'mas.

My bet is that, more than 50% of the fans will be in the 2-3 zone but it will be interesting to find out. I'd be happy with a competitive season (2) - so really looking forward to it.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I really get the feeling that the forum doesn't have that many negative posters - but the ones who are feeling more downbeat/ frustrated tend to post more often and more convincingly about their feelings :P

In 2018-19, United will:

1. Win the league or UCL

My bet is that, more than 50% of the fans will be in the 2-3 zone but it will be interesting to find out. I'd be happy with a competitive season (2) - so really looking forward to it.
Will make one when the Premier League transfer window closes.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Sanchez have yet to show us his best.

Andreas Pereira could be entering his breakthrough season, if all goes well.

Lukaku has potential to score 25+ goals in the PL alone. That would be brilliant.

Pogba taking the maturity from the national team back to the club and having a consistent season.

Fred completing the midfield.

Dalot to show us all why he is so highly rated.

Jinn

Smalling and Jones will pass the ball out of defence better! :nervous:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Going to set up camp here I think. Shame about Matic, he'll be a miss for us, but give Pereira an opportunity to get himself some minutes.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

In 2018-19, United will:

1. Win the league or UCL

Missing the likeliest scenario of finishing top 4 and no trophies...

jamiemb

This isn't really a positive thing, more like an anti-negative, but I firmly believe that Pogba is not going anywhere, contrary to what the papers would have you believe. And I think this will be his breakthrough season into becoming a showcase star for the Premier League.

peridigm

We need something to talk about. How about a matchday thread? Andre Marriner appointed.

Kidders

I'm contributing to this because I need to be more positive ;

1/ We finished 2nd last year and could/should have secured more points.
2/ The squad is the same bar Fred replacing an almost redundant Carrick.
3/ We have a new RB to look forward to.
4/ Rashford, Lingard, Young, Fellaini, Lukaku, Lindelof had good World Cup campaigns.
5/ We have the best keeper in the World.
6/ Sanchez has had a proper rest this summer.
7/ Pereira is like a new signing.
8/ SAF is alive and well.
9/ We have the best fans in the world.
10/ Paul Pogba is now a World Cup Winner.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Smalling is playing well these last few games

Looks like we've seen the end of Jones (hopefully)

Valencia being an idiot with his Instagram will probably lead to Dalot getting more chances than he would have

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The womens team is doing well

Xaviboy

Unfortunately there is nothing to be positive about. The club is in bad place from top to bottom. We have a manger that is just full of negativity and criticism all the time and we have players that don't want to play for him, simple as. The man is is just waiting to be sacked. Does not care about the club one bit. Just listen to his remarks in post match interviews, slats his players most of the time and is all about himself.

reddaz71

Positive thread? Ok theres only 8 months left till the season ends and Mourinho will finally be gone.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
First time in ages I can barely see positives at the moment. Normally I stay away from all the negativity on here but this is the worst I've seen post-Fergie. Obviously not talking about the long-term future because we do have , on paper, some talented youth but talking shorter time span it's all gloom.

Last edited: