The positive thread

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
  • Shaw has been good
  • Smalling finally getting recognition for being the most reliable defender at the club, although that bar is pretty low tbh.
  • Dalot looks promising.
  • The stripes on the new kit don't look as bad live as they do in photos.
That's all the positives I can find right now

Bruce Wayne

+ De Gea is still here
+ We still have lots of sponsors that pay us
+ Some young players are getting first team experience
+ We are on track to qualify to Europa league - maybe win it again this year if we play weak enough teams

AndyJ1985

Watching highlights of the season of '99 still provides plenty of enjoyment

tomaldinho1

I feel that we need a positive thread in between all the doom and gloom here, so let’s look at the positives;

• Sanchez will most likely (certainly?) improve on last season. I just don’t see a player of his calibre not delivering this season.
  • Pogba is very likely to keep developing and improving too. He’s only 25 and most central midfielders peak in their late twenties.
  • We have lots of young players like Rashford, Lingard (not that young, but a late bloomer), Lindelöf, Bailly (again, center backs rarely peak at a young age) who will most likely improve.
  • Lukaku will probably only get better. He has only been here for a season.
  • We have a few ~world class players like De Gea, Pogba, Sanchez and Lukaku. Star players that are needed to win the biggest titles.
I don’t think it’s nearly as bad as some seem to believe. Oil Winton who is known to have connections within the club just said to the Scandinavian supporter club that the general mood within the squad is good.

Lastly, I read somewhere that the last time we had a pre season worse than this one in terms of points (it was before our last game) was in the summer of 98. We all know what happened after that :devil:. My point is that pre seasons rarely define the following season. Last pre-season we beat Real 3-1 early on IIRC. We met them a few weeks later in the super cup and it didn’t go very well. So let’s not make any judgements based on the pre-season performances. I remember some great-ish performances during the LvG pre-season. They rarely mean anything.
What's crazy is that your bullet points are very sensible but none of them have happened. I'd argue Shaw is our only positive and that's because Mou has negg'd him so hard we forgot he was a good player.

Foritfied

We are still one of the top clubs in the world in terms of brand recognition, revenue, and trophy haul.

While it may not be going well at the moment, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who genuinely thinks that we'll end up like Leeds.

Thats all I need for optimism.

buckooo1978

positive thoughts

1. the board know they (Woody) isn't capable - hence the announcements about a DoF
  2. choosing a new coach will not be knee jerk - Jose leaving has been coming some time
  3. a new coach and an effective man manager will inherit a team desperate to play and will surely see a positive reaction
  4. we're a defensive leader, a midfield playmaker and a right winger away from being a very effective balanced side
  5. we've a big budget for the right man

wolvored

errrr we didnt lose to Valencia last night...and...err...thats it

Robbyb03

-Tickets are easier to get for fans.
-Players will get more rest from not being in the Carabao Cup and May get more rest next year by not qualifying for Champions League or Europa League.
-We have more points than City, Liverpool, or Tottenham in the Champions League, currently.
-Pogba’s hair colors are easier on the eyes this season.
-Old Trafford’s pitch looks better than Wembley’s.

Last edited:

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
-Tickets are easier to get for fans.
-Players will get more rest from not being in the Carabao Cup and May get more rest next year by not qualifying for Champions League or Europa League.
-We have more points than City or Tottenham in the Champions League, currently.
-Pogba’s hair colors are easier on the eyes this season.
-Old Trafford’s pitch looks better than Wembley’s.
The OT pitch did look magnificent.

Angelinho

Two rounds of The Champions League played, and we have the most points of all the English clubs.

Foxbatt

The positive aspect is that we can attack and score goals.
I put up my hand and say Jose is right. Our defence alone cannot stand on its own and hence why we can't go all out attack

tombombadil

That's quite an amazing stat.

And a good comeback win last night. I was shouting eventhough it was late night. Awesome to have that feeling again.

We're committing more men forward (which is Mourinho's intentions for this season which is why he needed the centerback). Both fullbacks played like wing backs.

Now it's about finding the balance that will protect the centerbacks and still commit more players forward.

Charlie Foley

Sir Alex 59.67
Jose 60.3

Obviously that doesn't look at context and timing of wins etc.

But as a single stat, its quite impressive
Wow.

I guess Fergie had those early years that alter the statistic. And Jose has had good cup runs here which swells his statistics

MuranoLover

That's quite an amazing stat.

And a good comeback win last night. I was shouting eventhough it was late night. Awesome to have that feeling again.

We're committing more men forward (which is Mourinho's intentions for this season which is why he needed the centerback). Both fullbacks played like wing backs.

Now it's about finding the balance that will protect the centerbacks and still commit more players forward.
Same feeling , we just need to push in the winter for a CB that can also play for us in the CL .

LordNinio

Wow.

I guess Fergie had those early years that alter the statistic. And Jose has had good cup runs here which swells his statistics
Yes, exactly, Fergie struggled for his first few years, and took his foot off the gas occasionally at the end of seasons. Still incredible though.

Nickelodeon

This thread desperately needs a bump.

Few points I'm expecting (hoping?) from next season:

• Recruitment is desperately needed. It's inevitable that at least 3-4 players will be signed so bring on the muppet season.
  • Ole started really well. A new season should enable him to prepare us tactically and bring about more consistency and improve fitness levels. We shouldn't forget that we've won away at Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs in the span of a month.
  • No UCL might free us to focus on the league while youngsters like Greenwood, Chong, Gomes can gain experience in the EL.
  • No Ashley Young
  • A right winger
I know that many or even any of these points might not pan out. But then no one gave us a shot at beating PSG or be in any kind of position to challenge for the top 4, so there is still a tiny bit of hope left in me.

Feel free to add more points.

SparkedIntoLife

Alright, crazy prediction time. We'll make top 4. Arsenal will beat Brighton but draw away to Burnley. Chelsea will draw at home to Watford but lose to Leicester. We'll thump Cardiff and Huddlesfield.

… Probably utter nonsense but I'm trying to stay positive.

redshaw

Interesting bullet points in the OP that mostly the opposite actually happened.

Positive thing that I hope for is Ole has a plan and is able to implement it, which will require patience similar to how Liverpool have managed to match Pep's relentless system.

Last six years have been a shambles and it's time to look around and learn from it.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Positives: Mourinho is gone. That is all.
I’m not even sure if that’s a positive anymore.

Seeing Ole joking with Pedro with 10 minutes to go yesterday, was almost as bad as Mourinho’s heritage speech after Sevilla.

The only positive I see is the young academy lads coming through, that is really all, everything else is an absolute mess and we’re run by amateurs.

Feck sake

edgar allan

I’m not even sure if that’s a positive anymore.

Seeing Ole joking with Pedro with 10 minutes to go yesterday, was almost as bad as Mourinho’s heritage speech after Sevilla.

The only positive I see is the young academy lads coming through, that is really all, everything else is an absolute mess and we’re run by amateurs.

Feck sake
Jose is gone....that will do for now.

wolvored

Alright, crazy prediction time. We'll make top 4. Arsenal will beat Brighton but draw away to Burnley. Chelsea will draw at home to Watford but lose to Leicester. We'll thump Cardiff and Huddlesfield.

I have thought about that myself. On paper we have the easier ties and even how we are playing should get 6 points. I predict 2 defeats for Chelsea and one for Arsenal at Burnley. Hows that for a positivity! :D

el3mel

It's a good thing you know it's nonsense so that you won't get disappointed.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The season’s nearly over. Pre season to look forward to and a couple of signings. Some of the youth team should( fingers crossed) be promoted