The Positives - We will concede less, and be no less threatening in attack

WensleyMU

Last season we conceded 54 goals. Its safe to assume we will concede considerably less this season. We scored 65 goals. We are capable of matching that.

Last seasons failure wasn't caused by a lack of goals, but fragility in defence above all else. Keeping a clean sheet was a rarity and we look like we have addressed that issue.

Going forward, hopefully AWB will bring a threat from the right. I think James will also see more game time than many think, especially later in games where his pace will cause mayhem.

Martial is capable of 15-20 league goals. He scored 10 in 27 last season playing from the left. Now is the time for him to step up.

Top 4 isnt beyond the realms of possibility with our squad. There will be a 3 way scrap for it, and it will be a scrap. I think we edge out both Chelsea and Arsenal in regards to each squad so I make us slight favourites for 4th.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I’d be absolutely thrilled if we manage top four after that transfer window.

We’re relying on at least one of Martial or Rashford to have a stormer of a breakout season, as well as avoiding injuries to Pogba. Otherwise we’re simply too light going forward to even be in a scrap for top four, honestly.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
One proper CM and it would have been awesome window. Still, AWB and Maguire should make our defense better and that can have effect on our overall play too. McT, Pereira, Fred etc will have to step up though and support Pogba well for us to have any hope of top 4. I am also excited to see Greenwood, Gomes, Garner etc getting minutes in Europa or league cup.

WensleyMU

Last season we would lose possession in the middle and our defence would be overrun. It happened time and time again. This time, I don't see that happening.

Bestofthebest

Last season we would lose possession in the middle and our defence would be overrun. It happened time and time again. This time, I don't see that happening.
Agree with your comments here but which of the two ( or is it both ) don't you see happening? The reason I ask is that I can see the midfield losing possession more and than last year and the defence being under so much stress that they will still be overrun too often.

shabz

Could possibly be another season like Mourinho's second here. Defensively solid, with not much else to shout about. I think it will be between ourselves, Arsenal and Chelsea for the 4th spot personally.

I am also more than ready to be pleasantly surprised :devil:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I think James is a good, young signing that will provide us some squad depth.
I feel very certain that Maguire & AWB will be both be huge successes at the club.
Our defense is much better.

That said, I worry.
If Pogba goes, we have no creativity from midfield.

Even if he doesn't & McTominay continues to develop, we will need Matic to not be slow, and we will need Pereira to not be bad. Our midfield is just put together with some glue, and that is before a injury crisis comes. Which always comes.

We lost Herrera and sold Fellaini, while Matic lost the last part of his legs. Despite our defense being a lot better I think it will struggle with our midfield in front of it.

arthurka

I think we will score more.. Think we will have better petterns and movement.

Dr. StrangeHate

M̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶i̶d̶f̶i̶e̶l̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶l̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶s̶e̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶l̶e̶m̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶v̶e̶d̶.̶

On a serious note, the only reason we have a chance of making 4th is that the other teams around us namely Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Leicester and Wolves haven't improved too much.

Lukaku did not offer much that Rashford cannot better. We will miss Herera and to a lesser extent Fellaini but I think we can still manage to maintain last year's level in that with the emergence of Mc Tominay. Defence should be sorted now.

The big positive point I can see is that some youngsters will be given a chance. Greenwood and Gomes just need to be given a go. James might surprise as well. Chong I just don't see it at the moment.

Brightonian

Agree with the OP. Just posted in another thread about how we saw two Ole teams last season - the flying, goalscoring, league-leading form one, and then the totally collapsed good-for-nothing one. Flipped almost overnight with the PSG win as the last hurrah before injuries killed our momentum and everything fell apart.

If the latter team shows up this season, we're fecked regardless of the details. If the former, or something close to it, then the same players plus Dan James (and minus a Lukaku who barely contributed), should be able to score goals just as freely. Meanwhile, you couldn't realistically expect us to have done much more to reinforce the defence. We've bought one of the best CBs in the league and one of the best RBs.

My only concern is if we consider Matic first choice. That's going to expose the back line badly. If McTominay is the starter and stays fit, we'll be fine. Ideally we would have bought a DM as our next priority, as that's the thinnest area of the squad without a doubt.

Dazzmondo

We will be far less threatening in attack. I don't even want to think of what our team would be like without Pogba

TrimiPejes

Our defense is potentially rocksolid. However I don't think the issue lied only with our defense. We are in need of a true sweeper a la Fabinho, Fernandinho, Busquets, Casimero,Doucoure,... a solid pivot that helps in defense by protecting the back four and makes the transition to midfield and attack easier. I'm afraid with Matic, there will be holes and if our defense needs to fill those holes, we will concede the same as last year imo.

So sad that we FINALLY did something to our lacklustre defense to then create holes in our midfield and potentially attack as well. Maybe if MCT or Fred can truely step up, they can be our next sweeper but I still have my doubts.

redom

We have to hope that the defensive reinforcements will provide a better platform for the rest of the team to flourish because to not improve the midfield with Fellaini and Herrera leaving is pretty negligent.

I'll only be a bit more accepting of it if we see a real chance given to the likes of Gomes and Greenwood but I'll be fuming if Mata and Matic are called upon week after week, could be another frustrating period.

Ace of Spades

We will be better in defence, but the creativity is heavily reliant on Pogba and too much pressure on the youngsters. Hopefully, at least we are combative in the coming season, don't want to see lazy football again, where players are jogging around having trouble with endurance.

Roboc7

We have to hope that the defensive reinforcements will provide a better platform for the rest of the team to flourish because to not improve the midfield with Fellaini and Herrera leaving is pretty negligent.

I'll only be a bit more accepting of it if we see a real chance given to the likes of Gomes and Greenwood but I'll be fuming if Mata and Matic are called upon week after week, could be another frustrating period.
Mata, Matic and Lingard might all start Sunday. Those guys are going to be playing all the time, Gomes might not get a game in the league for months or at all.

We might concede less but the defence will have to settle down and not convinced Lindelof and Maguire are a partnership. They may well get less protection from midfield though and we are devoid of any creativity apart from Pogba.

For me the only slight hope is Rashford, Martial and to a lesser extent Greenwood. There is potential for goals there but there won’t be great service and it’s a huge question mark. I could see this being our worst premier league season if we start badly and we’re entirely reliant on a player who doesn’t want to be here.

DRM

The positives?
The season will be over in 9 months

vidic blood & sand

Solskjaer and Phelan will have to develop a new strategy to use our strengths in order to paper over the weaknesses in midfield.
We'll have to depend heavily on speed, which is probably why Solskjaer is ramping up the fitness. We'll also have to remove Matic, because he's just too slow in mind and body.
McTominay will become our DM I think, but I believe he'll begin to thrive with Maguire behind him. Maguire and Lindelof will encourage him I think, and with Maguire bringing the ball out of defence with confidence, I think McTominay will become more assured. Pogba will drive the midfield attack, and Fred is the big question mark. We need more of this from Fred.
Sanchez, Martial, Rashford, will be fine if the midfield step up. However, injuries to our midfield players will be costly, and with Solskjaer relying heavily on speed, we'll pick up some hamstrings I think.
With the kids also knocking on the door, it's going to be an interesting season. We can make top 4 I think, but it'll be a terrific achievement.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
This was always going to be a tough season anyway. It’s Ole’s first real season as he tries to turn us into a fitter and more pressing team. You can usually right off the first season and a bit before you see any real reward, as seen when Klopp and Pep first got the Liverpool and City.

So we really needed to help him by buying some of those players ready made and easing the transition. Instead we signed nobody for the front 6 positions, released arguably our fittest player, and told Ole to get on with it.

fecking brilliant. The owners will probably shake their heads when they sack him around December as well.

Gandalf

The positive is that we are currently tied for first place in the league :lol:

On a more serious note. This season is a huge question mark but that does mean that whilst the bottom could fall out and we could find ourselves battling down in 8th or 9th spot there is a scenario in which we clinch top 4 and begin to close the gap on the top 2. The lack of signings outside of the back 4 means that we will now be forced to do something we have been wanting the club to do for a while and that is play the youngsters and that is where the variable comes in because we just don't know how they will handle the transition.

Positive side says Fred will find his groove, Scotty McT will continue to develop, Jimmy Garner will push for minutes too and we will find a midfield blend that works with Pogba. Gomes, Greenwood, James and even Chong will give us a much more exciting attack and Martial will step into the lead striker role and give us the 20 goal season we need.

Of course the flip side is the youngsters could not be ready, Fred could be the same player we saw last year and Martial and Pogba will start sulking and wanting out before Christmas.

Of course the club has briefed that we will be active in the January window and next summer as they continue the rebuild and we know Ed wouldn't lie about that.

Irwin99

Last season we conceded 54 goals. Its safe to assume we will concede considerably less this season. We scored 65 goals. We are capable of matching that.

Last seasons failure wasn't caused by a lack of goals, but fragility in defence above all else. Keeping a clean sheet was a rarity and we look like we have addressed that issue.

Going forward, hopefully AWB will bring a threat from the right. I think James will also see more game time than many think, especially later in games where his pace will cause mayhem.

Martial is capable of 15-20 league goals. He scored 10 in 27 last season playing from the left. Now is the time for him to step up.

Top 4 isnt beyond the realms of possibility with our squad. There will be a 3 way scrap for it, and it will be a scrap. I think we edge out both Chelsea and Arsenal in regards to each squad so I make us slight favourites for 4th.
The goals and creativity certainly was a factor later in the season, we just scored a lot when Ole came in which kind of masked things but it went very wrong after the PSG game. When you can't score against Cardiff at home or more than one against Huddlesfield when you're chasing CL football something is wrong.

Top 4 is still on but we're hoping on a LOT of things coming right.

Hamadovich86

Our defense has improved and should definitely concede less goals, if DDG returns to form we might have one of the best defensive records in the league. Our attack is no longer hindered by Lukaku's play style and potentially can cause havoc for the opposition if things "click" with Martial and Rashford upfront.

I think this window is far better than last year's (Fred, Grant, Dalot), im wary about our immediate rivals strengthening but hoping for a better finish than last season.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The only way we are getting top four is if (and they all have to happen):

- Pogba has a consistently effective/brilliant season
- Maguire and AWB live up to their billing.
- Martial and Rashford both take a step forward in their evolution, and at least one of them has a 25 goal season.
- Sanchez recovers some decent form.
- Greenwood or James prove an effective option on the right.
- Mata and Matic barely play.
- Fred finally settles and becomes a reliable option in midfield.

Lots of ifs.

JG3001

We just needed an extra man in midfield. That’s the annoying issue here, felt like it could have easily been done but we’ve (Woodward...) been tight arsed about it.

Problem is Pogba will in all likeliness leave next summer, say we get 120 mil+, teams will put on the classic ‘Man Utd have money’ premium as always and we won’t get a good enough replacement. That’s why I felt we needed someone this Summer just to ease that transition.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm really happy with all the signings we made, as I'm sure a lot of people are.
We needed a bit more though, a midfielder who can break up the play and pick a pass would've been fantastic.
A striker may end up being needed, but it seems the club are confident that Martial, Rashford, Sanchez and Greenwood can score the goals.
If the youngsters step in well and establish themselves, we'll be alright. If not I think we'll struggle.
I don't have much faith in players like Fred and Pereira, I don't think they're terrible, but I'll be happy to say I was wrong if they have great seasons.
Obviously we won't challenge, and getting top four relies on a lot of variables, we'll just have to wait and see.

Crashoutcassius

Positives are we have a strong defence now, still the best keeper, a top 5 cm and a front 4 with huge potential in rashford gomes martial and Greenwood. Every one of those could be world class. We need depth and a midfield partner for pog but our most exciting 11 is exciting now and could be very effective given the chance together.

redom

Mata, Matic and Lingard might all start Sunday. Those guys are going to be playing all the time, Gomes might not get a game in the league for months or at all.

We might concede less but the defence will have to settle down and not convinced Lindelof and Maguire are a partnership. They may well get less protection from midfield though and we are devoid of any creativity apart from Pogba.

For me the only slight hope is Rashford, Martial and to a lesser extent Greenwood. There is potential for goals there but there won’t be great service and it’s a huge question mark. I could see this being our worst premier league season if we start badly and we’re entirely reliant on a player who doesn’t want to be here.
Then we risk losing him next summer too, if we're supposed to be building something then making sure the likes of Gomes stay and become part of that rebuild is vital.

0le

We will certainly have better defenders, but Matic is a year older now and has continued his decline. Herrera and Fellaini have also gone.

You could therefore make an argument that we will still concede the same number of goals. That argument would go as follows: The defence will be exposed more regularly to attackers - more so than last season. This is because we've lost the defensive contribution of both Herrera an Fellaini and also Matic has declined. For each attack our defence will face, the new signings will mean they will be better able to prevent a goal. However, since the defence may face more attacks - we may still end up conceding the same number of goals because no defence is immune.

I think a lot will depend on how McTominay and Pereira collectively help with the defensive duties and also how Ole plays and uses Pogba in the deeper role. I have faith, and I agree that we will probably concede less, but I still would have preferred if we had signed a midfielder to replace Matic.

reddevil80

We have bought a very talented right wing back in AWB who is young, very quick, can cross the ball at pace and never backs out of a tackle. We have James as a CAM who is blessed with oodles of pace, skill and cracking vision. We have one of the biggest, strongest CB's who can score more than a handful each season, as well as stop the opposition in their tracks, who is also relatively young and totally committed. Just these 3 alone WANT to play for Man Utd and become title contenders.We have Mctominay becoming more obvious on the pitch. We have Greenwood, Gomes, Garner all waiting in the wings, desperate to get on the pitch and prove themselves. Although not his biggest fan by any means, Lingard has had a good pre season too, he just needs to carry that form into the season. We have a manager who has made no secret of saying that our team is/was one of the laziest last season so has made a conscious effort to increase their strength and stamina and is trying to attain the highest possible fitness levels for next season. Nobody will shed a tear for Lukaku as he didn't fit Ole's plans and the lack of runs and insanely terrible 1st touch he had, he is not a miss. I see Rashford making a huge impact up front next year and with James, Lingard, Pogba, Martial behind him, he will now have to prove he is worthy of 1), being our number 1 striker and 2), being Englands main strike partner with Kane, which he will do I think.

Pre season, Ole has tried a new system with new players, young players, experienced players alike and from what I have seen, looks pretty promising. Yeah the EPL is a different kettle of fish but there are signs of the team gelling already. There seems to be a positive vibe around the players and the manager and his staff and I don't see anything there as a negative. The Pogba situation really needs putting to bed, a.s.a.p, but that will iron itself out when they are ready but I feel OGS has got the smile back on PP's face and got him loving football at OT again. We would have loved another out and out striker to partner Rashford before getting rid of Romelu but we haven't and that is something we have to deal with. I only hope that Fred can reproduce his form that made us buy him, Pogba stays happy and wants to stay here and we don't get hammered with injuries. We have a young squad and it will not make us win the league overnight but I have a good feeling that OGS knows what he is aiming for and how to achieve it. He knows he has to make the players happy which will improve our chances for further success. He won't cry over spilt milk, in the meaning of not getting the transfers he may have wanted, that will just be us fans I think. He will drive this squad forward and bring back our smiles.

So positives?, for me there are plenty of them. My cup is hardly ever half empty, prefer half full meself.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
The only way we are getting top four is if (and they all have to happen):

- Pogba has a consistently effective/brilliant season
- Maguire and AWB live up to their billing.
- Martial and Rashford both take a step forward in their evolution, and at least one of them has a 25 goal season.
- Sanchez recovers some decent form.
- Greenwood or James prove an effective option on the right.
- Mata and Matic barely play.
- Fred finally settles and becomes a reliable option in midfield.

Lots of ifs.
Agree with most of it. Not looking for anything from Sanchez.

A stronger defense means our midfield can be more adventurous which helps our attack. I think we will concede fewer and score more and maybe, with a little luck and few key injuries, can finish 4th.

OverratedOpinion

We have about 2 midfielders and 1 striker. We also have no right winger but that almost doesn't need mentioning at this point.

Our defence is undoubtedly better but considering what needed doing this window has been an absolute horror show.

DiceRoller

Why don’t you see us losing possession in the middle? With Herrera gone I see it happening more.

Football is simple. If you control the ball in possession the other team can’t overrun you with the ball and create chances.

We don’t have players to keep the ball and move it around. I don’t see much changing from last season.

passing-wind

Where do the goals come from ? Pogba will be playing deeper in a double pivot midfield role, Paul is the only player to have got Solskjaer the full time job.

Rashford is rubbish over the course of a season, he'll show good form for a month then go missing for the remainder five. There's a reason why Greenwood is rated to do better than Marcus with development.

Martial is hot and cold and the only attacker capable of scoring 20+ aside Pogba in a single season.

Between Rash, Martial, James, Mata and Lingard they will need 70 goals collectively which is around 14 goals each to get anywhere near the top four .......:lol:

8th place finish next season

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Agree with most of it. Not looking for anything from Sanchez.

A stronger defense means our midfield can be more adventurous which helps our attack. I think we will concede fewer and score more and maybe, with a little luck and few key injuries, can finish 4th.
Our midfield is 100% dependent on Pogba. McT is great, but he's a functional box to box. Fred can be good, but still question marks. Andreas is scraping the barrel. And Matic is in a glass case saying Only Break in Case of Emergency. Without Pogba, there is zero creativity in midfield. And the attack will cease to work. We'll end up playing Mata to try and open up defences, and everything will slow to a snail's pace.

United22

Where do the goals come from ? Pogba will be playing deeper in a double pivot midfield role, Paul is the only player to have got Solskjaer the full time job.

Rashford is rubbish over the course of a season, he'll show good form for a month then go missing for the remainder five. There's a reason why Greenwood is rated to do better than Marcus with development.

Martial is hot and cold and the only attacker capable of scoring 20+ aside Pogba in a single season.

Between Rash, Martial, James, Mata and Lingard they will need 70 goals collectively which is around 14 goals each to get anywhere near the top four .......:lol:

8th place finish next season
This.

cantonaldo

All we need is a couple of goals along with clean sheets and players' confidence and mood will get better, along with the sentiments of the fans.

That said, I am fearing a bad start for the team since we are playing Chelsea. Might take a while before the team really settles.