The Positivity Thread

Sampy93

Well I’m sure I’m not the only one feeling a bit pessimistic about this coming campaign so thought it might be a good idea to have a thread focusing on the positives.

I’ll start.

1) For one we have a sharp looking Sanchez who is well rested after nearly a decade playing throughout the summer.

2) The summer isn’t over and being linked with a Right Winger, even though it might be Willian or Perisic is a sign that we will have more width and therefore create more space for Pogba and possibly Fred being effective in attacking positions.

3) Good World Cup performances from the likes of Pogba and Lukaku is hopefully a sign of things to come.

4) Fred may be unproven but might be the player we need in midfield to unleash Pogba.

5) although an almighty task ahead of us, City will unlikely reach their points tally this season so better performances against the bottom half should lead to a title challenge.

6) Until Christmas and injuries we were playing pretty decent football IMO. Maybe just my opinion.

7) We’ve tied down Fellaini......sorry

8) All jokes aside.. 2 things will happen this season : either we challenge and Mourinho stays. Or he leaves and we finally hire a manager who will play attacking football.

The future is Red boys and girls. We’ve been through Moyes and the dark ages in the 80s. We’ll rise again sooner rather than later.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
What is this positivity you speak of?

kthanksbye

Mentioned this earlier.

We have a lot of players who haven't been performing to their full potential and a few who are going to improve.

Bailly Lindelof are two I'm really looking forward to, if the former can remain fit he'll improve our defense, the latter has had a good worldcup, I expect him to claim his position.
Shaw, given all the talk about his fitness right now, also he knows that this is probably his last chance, plus the fact that Young will need a breather after England went deep in the worldcup, he'll get his chances, it's a long shot, but I hope he takes it.
Pogba has shown us what he's capable of, and with Fred our midfield looks in better shape.
Lukaku Sanchez are also players who are going to be better this season, one is getting better every game he plays and the other finally got a summer off.
Then there's Rashford who I expect to continue developing.

As for the other teams, except Allison no other player our rivals have signed has really got me worried, and he's a keeper, not likely to influence games as DeGea does, because he's just not as good. I could put my money on Salah not replicating last season's numbers. Compare that to us, none of our outfield player had a standout season that they're unlikely to replicate.
Jorginho is a good signing but Chelsea might lose Courtois, Willian, Hazard, not all of them but certainly one or two.
Spuurs haven't improved. Arsenal's signings are nothing special either. Which brings us to City, record 100 points is not going to be repeated, no chance. The gap is going to be smaller.

All in all, we haven't fallen back, our rivals haven't improved significantly. If the new coaching staff can get their act together, we're looking good for a 2/3 finish.

mystarrocks

Mentioned this earlier.

We have a lot of players who haven't been performing to their full potential and a few who are going to improve.

Bailly Lindelof are two I'm really looking forward to, if the former can remain fit he'll improve our defense, the latter has had a good worldcup, I expect him to claim his position.
Shaw, given all the talk about his fitness right now, also he knows that this is probably his last chance, plus the fact that Young will need a breather after England went deep in the worldcup, he'll get his chances, it's a long shot, but I hope he takes it.
Pogba has shown us what he's capable of, and with Fred our midfield looks in better shape.
Lukaku Sanchez are also players who are going to be better this season, one is getting better every game he plays and the other finally got a summer off.

As for the other teams, except Allison no other player our rivals have signed has really got me worried, and he's a keeper, not likely to influence games as DeGea does, because he's just not as good. I could put my money on Salah not replicating last season's numbers. Compare that to us, none of our outfield player had a standout season that they're unlikely to replicate.
Jorginho is a good signing but Chelsea might lose Courtois, Willian, Hazard, not all of them but certainly one or two.
Spuurs haven't improved. Arsenal's signings are nothing special either. Which brings us to City, record 100 points is not going to be repeated, no chance. The gap is going to be smaller.

All in all, we haven't fallen back, our rivals haven't improved significantly. If the new coaching staff can get their act together, we're looking good for a 2/3 finish.
with all the positive statements i was let down by your last line. Why not say “we go for it”

LingiBW

If we finish with a similar points tally to last season but City don't reach the magic 100, say 90, we reduce the gap,but does it mean we have improved?

Bestietom

Not a lot of positivity in this thread. Mourinho to get sacked and a new manager hired.???

Theodore

Supports
Liverpool, PAOK
I am positive you all are negative about that upcoming season.

kthanksbye

with all the positive statements i was let down by your last line. Why not say “we go for it”
Because, realistically, we can't. We don't have the squad and neither is our football good enough yet. We also struggle to score goals.
The amount of dead wood we have accumulated since SAF's last few season and then the next two managers, I never expected Jose to deliver the title so soon, looks even less likely now that so far he's failed to get the best out of his own signings.

Offsideagain

We need a positive Manager and board to be positive about the season. Any Company/team is only as good as the leadership. History is full of examples of that. I know it’s football, but having played team sport it’s amazing how a good leader inspires a team. Martin Johnson for England rugby, Robbo for United. I know it doesn’t mean you’ll win every time, but gives you a chance.

Red Royal

Because, realistically, we can't. We don't have the squad and neither is our football good enough yet. We also struggle to score goals.
The amount of dead wood we have accumulated since SAF's last few season and then the next two managers, I never expected Jose to deliver the title so soon, looks even less likely now that so far he's failed to get the best out of his own signings.
I think we actually do have the squad. Our team contains top players like DDG, Pogba, Matic and Sanchez etc. Others clearly have ability waiting to be tapped into , Martial, Rashford, Linedlov etc.

What we lack is some self belief...if we can go q couple of games winning 3-0, 4-0 or something similar it may be the spark of confidence we need. We as fans need to get behind the team. Especially those of us going to OT every other week where frankly the atmosphere is appalling.

Lingatd and Pogba will return and bring smiles around the place soon.

kthanksbye

I think we actually do have the squad. Our team contains top players like DDG, Pogba, Matic and Sanchez etc. Others clearly have ability waiting to be tapped into , Martial, Rashford, Linedlov etc.

What we lack is some self belief...if we can go q couple of games winning 3-0, 4-0 or something similar it may be the spark of confidence we need. We as fans need to get behind the team. Especially those of us going to OT every other week where frankly the atmosphere is appalling.

Lingatd and Pogba will return and bring smiles around the place soon.
How I wish you were right, that's it's a confidence issue, unfortunately, from where I'm looking at it, it's a lot deeper than that, our attack is non coherent and dysfunctional, that's down to training/coaching. The pace at which we move the ball is embarrassing at times, our off the ball movements are poor, even when some players like Mata/Lingard move between the lines, our players do not zip in a ball with pace between two opposition players. Then there's the issue with our first touch, literally every player in our squad has a poor first touch, so bad that they either have to take multiple touches or they take a defensive touch in order to keep the ball and allow the opposition to get back into a good defensive shape.

All this isn't down to confidence alone, some of it is.

MUFC OK

• New coaches may bring more attractive football
  • Sanchez has had a rest over the summer
  • Pogba, Lukaku, Lindelof had good World Cups
  • Fred and Pereira as midfield options
  • Still hopefully 2 signings to come

slyadams

Mentioned this earlier.

Sorry, but our closest rival this year will likely be Liverpool for 2nd, and they've improved significantly with Allison, Fabinho and Keita and I think Shaqiri is a solid squad player. Right now I think they're ahead of us.

kthanksbye

Sorry, but our closest rival this year will likely be Liverpool for 2nd, and they've improved significantly with Allison, Fabinho and Keita and I think Shaqiri is a solid squad player. Right now I think they're ahead of us.
Only Allison is the player that is going to improve them significantly, the others are just above average players, nothing special.
Shaqiri is bang average, not sure why people are going gaga over him since his move, there's a reason he was at Stoke and even at 12m Liverpool had no one to contend with for his signature.

Red Royal

How I wish you were right, that's it's a confidence issue, unfortunately, from where I'm looking at it, it's a lot deeper than that, our attack is non coherent and dysfunctional, that's down to training/coaching. The pace at which we move the ball is embarrassing at times, our off the ball movements are poor, even when some players like Mata/Lingard move between the lines, our players do not zip in a ball with pace between two opposition players. Then there's the issue with our first touch, literally every player in our squad has a poor first touch, so bad that they either have to take multiple touches or they take a defensive touch in order to keep the ball and allow the opposition to get back into a good defensive shape.

All this isn't down to confidence alone, some of it is.
Maybe confidence is the wrong word. Perhaps a year of failure...the team needs to be let of the leash a little seems Jose doesn't trust his back 4 much and hence the likes of Matic sits deep and brings ball out doing what any CB should be able to do. My optimism is that we have the players in our ranks already to fix this (Bailly, Linedlov, Axel). Not sure what role Carrick is playing...but having him around with a friendly arm around the shoulder may be all it needs.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Only Allison is the player that is going to improve them significantly, the others are just above average players, nothing special.
Shaqiri is bang average, not sure why people are going gaga over him since his move, there's a reason he was at Stoke and even at 12m Liverpool had no one to contend with for his signature.

Did Karius and Mingolet cost Liverpool many points last season? To me it was draws against deep defending teams like West Brom, Stoke, Everton etc when the forwards couldn't create / finish