Donald Trump The First - Indicted The Fourth

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Nailed it
We're at the point where none of this matters anymore. Even if the FBI has tapes of him selling the nuclear codes to Russia 50% of his base won't care and the other 50% will believe its the deep state. If we survive this era I think historians are going to look back on this time as a case study of group madness.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
FFS

There is no reason to have those documents outside of the White House other than to use them for personal gain. Absolutely none. Espionage is still a capital crime though so we got that going for us. :devil:

He was clearly trying to get ahead of the story and taint the investigation with his lies, but there's no coming back from keeping nuclear files at MAL, regardless of how secure they are. As the story comes out, Republicans are going to have to face reality and then try to save face over their initial reaction.

neverdie

is there any precedent for this at all in the history of presidents in the us? keeping classified and sensitive documents after you leave office? i'm curious as to how carlson or whoever will try and frame this. i'm guessing this might be unprecedented.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Every time he does something obviously illegal all I think is how dumb a criminal do you have to be for it to be so obvious, yet his base has managed to keep the wolves at bay so far. Really hope he finally gets what is coming to him, though even if he is selling nuclear codes or details/locations, large portions of his base are still going to back him. If we are lucky the Republican party goes down in flames with him. Really wouldn't want to be living in that country right now, as regardless of what happens it is going to be messy.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
is there any precedent for this at all in the history of presidents in the us? keeping classified and sensitive documents after you leave office? i'm curious as to how carlson or whoever will try and frame this. i'm guessing this might be unprecedented.
Presidents have generally been allowed to maintain their clearance/access in case their successor needs someone to talk to about some national security events. I don't know about what documents they've taken with them, but there's no reason to have any documents related to nuclear weapons at all. Even if they aren't about our nukes, the data could be very useful for foreign actors or as leverage. I've seen suggestions that Trump could use information about the Saudis or other parties to ensure that they keep their promised bribes coming.

neverdie

Presidents have generally been allowed to maintain their clearance/access in case their successor needs someone to talk to about some national security events. I don't know about what documents they've taken with them, but there's no reason to have any documents related to nuclear weapons at all. Even if they aren't about our nukes, the data could be very useful for foreign actors or as leverage. I've seen suggestions that Trump could use information about the Saudis or other parties to ensure that they keep their promised bribes coming.
yeah i've just done a quick scan of fox news, carlson is coincidentally absent tonight, breitbart, and a few other places i'd expect to see some kind of reframing of this. all i've gathered is obama brought 30 million documents with him. the difference, of course, is that these documents were for his presidential library and most likely didn't include information on nuclear weapons. if the nuclear weapon thing is true, i'd say trump is fecking toast.

basically obama's library and clinton's emails are what i've seen used. unless they can demonstrate obama had nuclear data or something of that nature which he wasn't supposed to have, if trump wasn't allowed to have it, which i don't know, then it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. could be the point where all the bullshit falls apart. or not. still has 100 million people who think he's god so who knows.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
yeah i've just done a quick scan of fox news, carlson is coincidentally absent tonight, breitbart, and a few other places i'd expect to see some kind of reframing of this. all i've gathered is obama brought 30 million documents with him. the difference, of course, is that these documents were for his presidential library and most likely didn't include information on nuclear weapons. if the nuclear weapon thing is true, i'd say trump is fecking toast.

basically obama's library and clinton's emails are what i've seen used. unless they can demonstrate obama had nuclear data or something of that nature which he wasn't supposed to have, if trump wasn't allowed to have it, which i don't know, then it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. could be the point where all the bullshit falls apart. or not. still has 100 million people who think he's god so who knows.
Biden also denied Trump continued access/clearance because of January 6th. I forgot to mention that.

Carolina Red

Staff
Lyndon Johnson took classified documents with him related to clandestine surveillance of Nixon’s campaign and how it worked to bribe South Vietnam to not accept any peace agreement until after he was elected… but there weren’t any laws about doing that kinda thing yet.

neverdie

Lyndon Johnson took classified documents with him related to clandestine surveillance of Nixon’s campaign and how it worked to bribe South Vietnam to not accept any peace agreement until after he was elected… but there weren’t any laws about doing that kinda thing yet.
the thing about the johnson files too is that they related to an investigation of soon to be president who had acted seditiously. at least, many would argue that the kissinger and nixon talks with south vietnam were treasonous even if they weren't charged. it's a different order of retention than nuclear secrets. so yeah, if they found nuclear secrets that trump absolutely had no right to have, which would seem to be the case, then i see no way out of that no matter how you spin it.

RedDevilQuebecois

Mark Hertling giving a quick seminar on how to handle classified military documents and how to differentiate the different levels of secrecy with documents.

Last edited:

kps88

He already has a copy of the warrant; nothing stopping him from putting it out now. Think he wants it to come from the DOJ so he can call it fake, a conspiracy etc. Or he’ll keep saying he wants it unsealed and have his lawyers do the opposite in court.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
He already has a copy of the warrant; nothing stopping him from putting it out now. Think he wants it to come from the DOJ so he can call it fake, a conspiracy etc. Or he’ll keep saying he wants it unsealed and have his lawyers do the opposite in court.
He might be banking on them having to redact document titles, subject areas and classifications so he can do the handwaving complaint about them being on fishing expeditions thing again. I'd expect there to be a few "and partial/complete copies thereof" type headings in there as well.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So did they just look for nuclear documents or did they also find it?