The potential relegation fire sale- 22/23

BerryBerryShrew

So here we are in the home stretch of another PL campaign and it is closer in the bottom half than ever before. With 9/10 games left, just 7 points separates Crystal Palace in 12th place and Southampton in 20th position.

We as a club have done a lot of things badly over the past decade-plus, and one of them includes not raiding relegated sides for cheap(ish) PL proven backups or maybe even starters. Liverpool snapped up Robertson for a mere £5m when Hull went down, so there is potential for a bargain.

Below I've listed some interesting players at sides that are part of the relegation dogfight. West Ham and Wolves certainly have some quality in them and I'd imagine that the likes of Rice, Neves, and Nunes would attract substantial attention from top sides both here and abroad if they did get relegated. What clubs are you hoping will go down (purely for transfer purposes- not because of hatred or rivalry) and what players would you like to grab as squaddies or as first teamers? It doesn't have to be limited to the players I've outlined below.

12. Crystal Palace: Sam Johnstone, Joachim Anderson, Guehi, Eze, Olise, Zaha, Edouard

13. Leeds: Meslier, Tyler Adams, Gnonto

14. Wolves: Sa, Nathan Collins, Kilman, Moutinho, Neves, Neto, Matheus Nunes, Podence

15. West Ham: Areola, Kehrer, Benrahma, Bowen, Cornet, Paqueta, Rice, Scamacca

16. Everton: Pickford, Onana, Patterson, Calvert-Lewin

17. Notts Forest: Renan Lodi, Gibbs-White, Brennan Johnson

18. Bournemouth: I'm struggling here. Am I missing anyone obvious?

19. Leicester: Faes, James Justin, Harvey Barnes, Maddison, Ndidi, Tielemans

20. Southampton: Bazunu, Bella-Kotchap, Lavia, Livramento, Walker-Peters, Salisu, Sulemana, Ward-Prowse

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Tielemans. Think his contract is out too. If we're on a budget, he's a great option to rotate with Eriksen.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I was about to start the same thread later today.

Looks like Southampton are going down, rest all are in survival race. Lavia is the obvious choice

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Southampton will be a good place to pick up players. Can't see any of them going for monster fees but good pick-ups for 20ish m.

In terms of us I can see us getting rid of DCL and although I wouldn't want to sell Onana he's the only asset we have currently who could command a few above 50m.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Not for us, but Billing will be a very shrewd pickup for somebody. Can easily see him at Brentford (mostly on account of being tall and Danish). Could see him getting into teams like Spurs and Newcastle as well.

JohnnyLaw

It’s funny how Sothampton are so shite with that many players of interest. That’s 6 out of their starting 11 players on your list and you didn’t even list JWP.

Hughes35

Some genuinely good players for pretty much every team that goes down. I'd consider the below for Utd if the teams get relegated.

All sensible signings IMO.

12. Crystal Palace: Sam Johnstone, Joachim Anderson, Guehi, Eze, Olise, Zaha, Edouard

13. Leeds: Meslier, Tyler Adams, Gnonto

14. Wolves: Sa, Nathan Collins, Kilman, Moutinho, Neves, Neto, Matheus Nunes, Podence

15. West Ham: Areola, Kehrer, Benrahma, Bowen, Cornet, Paqueta, Rice, Scamacca

16. Everton: Pickford, Onana, Patterson, Calvert-Lewin

17. Notts Forest: Renan Lodi, Gibbs-White, Brennan Johnson

19. Leicester: Faes, James Justin, Harvey Barnes, Maddison, Ndidi, Tielemans

20. Southampton: Bazunu, Bella-Kotchap, Lavia, Livramento, Walker-Peters, Salisu, Sulemana

Chief123

Surely the likes of Salah, Gakpo and Nunez would be available?

Onerealunited

How good is Pickford with his feet? Could he potentially compete with De Gea for the GK post?

I haven’t watchd Bowen lately but when he first came to West Ham he looked really good, and his stats right now aren’t bad. Is he good enough to be a backup on our RW? He seems a natural right winger whos very different to Antony

Ndidi was very highly rated before, but I don’t see his name much any longer. Isn’t he any good?

but of all the names mentioned Lavia would be a 100% go for me, and that is independent on whether Sotton goes down or not (of course at the right price?

BerryBerryShrew

It’s funny how Sothampton are so shite with that many players of interest. That’s 6 out of their starting 11 players on your list and you didn’t even list JWP.
Another glaring omission; I just added him in, good spot!

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Not sure there are really that many of interest.

Lavia, Onana, Rice, Tielemans, Livramento, Maddison, Meslier are the only ones I could get interested in I think, and I suspect most of those will stay up. If Saints go down there will be a dogfight for Lavia I think.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not sure there are really that many of interest.

Lavia, Onana, Rice, Tielemans, Livramento, Maddison, Meslier are the only ones I could get interested in I think, and I suspect most of those will stay up. If Saints go down there will be a dogfight for Lavia I think.
I can see Onana leaving if we stay up or not if the price is right.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I’m pretty sure Southampton are going down so really Lavia or Ward Prowse would be good midfield options.

Ward Prowse would suit us better than Sabitzer in my opinion.

Bwuk

Joachim Anderson - Depending on fee. They paid about 18m for him though, and would want more than that in return. Would be a decent rotation option at CB if Lindelof/Maguire move on.

Ruben Neves - fee dependent. Could be a rotation option in for the double pivot.

Declan Rice - would be a very good signing. Expensive though.

Andre Onana - Everton would be looking for 50+m I think which would put me off, otherwise he'd be a good CM signing for the squad.

James Maddison - Again, another good rotation option. I'd put money on him ending up at Newcastle though.

Romeo Lavia - could learn from Casemiro. Would be an astute signing.

Drizzle

Every time I've watched Onana he's either been bang average or downright bad. What am I missing?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I was having these kinds of thoughts last night looking at the table, but it’s a really underwhelming list when you see it written out.
We should be looking for players to improve the first 11 and moving out squad options to lift the level of the whole squad, not just stocking up on backups. I’d question how many of these players that look decent at their current team would genuinely add anything to us?

GlasgowCeltic

Gibbs White would be a nice pickup for a Newcastle or Brighton, probably Spurs too

JB7

I was having these kinds of thoughts last night looking at the table, but it’s a really underwhelming list when you see it written out.
We should be looking for players to improve the first 11 and moving out squad options to lift the level of the whole squad, not just stocking up on backups. I’d question how many of these players that look decent at their current team would genuinely add anything to us?
How do you propose we improve on probably the best holding midfielder in the world then?

Abraxas

I can honestly say the only ones remotely of interest for me (in terms of quality or potential not necessarily the practicality of the economics and whether we need them) would be Gnonto, Maddison, Rice, Lavia.

I think there's always a danger in players from poor sides being the best of a shite bunch. Being one of the best players at some of these sides doesn't mean that much in itself.

Stadjer

I can honestly say the only ones remotely of interest for me (in terms of quality or potential not necessarily the practicality of the economics and whether we need them) would be Gnonto, Maddison, Rice, Lavia.

I think there's always a danger in players from poor sides being the best of a shite bunch. Being one of the best players at some of these sides doesn't mean that much in itself.
You could also look at it the other way. Being able to perform while you are surrounded by a shite bunch is a good thing.

padzilla

Hipster

I remember we signed Roy Keane from a relegated Forest and he turned out okay. Didn't hurt he was putting in sterling displays for Ireland at the time either though and getting lauded by the likes of Maradona. https://punditarena.com/football/darraghmurphy/roy-keane-diego-maradona/

Kaos

Would West Ham still be in a position to demand £100million or whatever ridiculous valuation they have for Rice if they go down? I wasn't too keen on him but seeing how we collapse without Casemiro, I don't think he'd be a bad option for us at all.

Abraxas

You could also look at it the other way. Being able to perform while you are surrounded by a shite bunch is a good thing.
In reality very few teams have zero performers. Even in the shitest of seasons, there will usually be one or two standouts. It doesn't neccessarily mean they're fit for a top side. Then again, it might...I suppose ultimately it's always a judgment call and extrapolating what these guys can do at the top level.

But if we take guys like Neves and JWP as an example, I don't really see it. They're experienced players, not potential. What you see is what you get and what I see is decent squad players maybe, but are we trying to flesh out a squad or introduce quality, or quality potential for the future? I think you have to be really careful before diving headfirst into mediocrity with the vast majority of these players.

I think that's what prompted my list. It's either potential to be realised, or it is a level of expected quality that I think Rice and Maddison can deliver based on history and consistency.

marktan

I think it's very likely it'll be Southampton and Bournemouth going down, and then the other one is harder but could well be Forest.

From those I'd happily take Lavia (I'd want us to sign him regardless if we go down or not) and Gibbs White - his game isn't fully polished yet but he has a lot of talent and would be a great backup AM to rotate with Bruno. Forest aren't broke though so would probably keep him.

From the rest if they did go down I'd pick up any of these for a good, lower price deal for the squad - Zaha, Gnonto, Neves, Rice (but he won't be cheap regardless), Maddison.
Anderson and Tielemans are borderline for me but they're a bit of a coin toss as to whether they'd fit in or not, whereas the rest are very likely to be good for us.

BehemothTerror

Bella-Kotchap could be quite a good squad filling pick up If we can get him for under 20 million. Solid pick to replace Maguire or Lindelof if one leaves in the summer considering the big money needs to go on a striker and cover in midfield.

I like Bowen too but Right Wing isnt a key priority.

Rice would be good but not for a penny more than £60 million

Walters_19_MuFc

Although there's a` few players on that list I admire, Rice and Maddison would be the obvious choices for me. Rice to rotate with Casemiro and eventually be his successor, and Maddison to be our playmaker. We seriously lack ball players, and Maddison would give us that ability in midfield.

Rashford/Garnacho - Striker/Martial - Antony/Greenwood?
Bruno/Eriksen - Casemiro/Rice - Maddison/Bruno
Shaw/Malacia - Martinez/Shaw - Varane/Lindelof - Dalot/Wan-Bissaka
GK/De Gea​

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Tielemans. Think his contract is out too. If we're on a budget, he's a great option to rotate with Eriksen.
I hope we don't fall into that trap. He looks good on MOTD but he's quite a lazy player. Often out of position and doesn't track back.

I think we'd get very frustrated with him if he played for us. I think his time has come and gone.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I hope we don't fall into that trap. He looks good on MOTD but he's quite a lazy player. Often out of position and doesn't track back.

I think we'd get very frustrated with him if he played for us. I think his time has come and gone.
I don't necessarily want him but think he'd be a like for like rotation with Eriksen in terms of style and ability. If we're on a budget, could do worse.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
How good is Pickford with his feet? Could he potentially compete with De Gea for the GK post?

I haven’t watchd Bowen lately but when he first came to West Ham he looked really good, and his stats right now aren’t bad. Is he good enough to be a backup on our RW? He seems a natural right winger whos very different to Antony

Ndidi was very highly rated before, but I don’t see his name much any longer. Isn’t he any good?

but of all the names mentioned Lavia would be a 100% go for me, and that is independent on whether Sotton goes down or not (of course at the right price?
Ndidi is one to watch if Everton goes down. Someone would get a really good CM fairly cheap I recon.

croadyman

I’m pretty sure Southampton are going down so really Lavia or Ward Prowse would be good midfield options.

Ward Prowse would suit us better than Sabitzer in my opinion.
My concern is does he do enough outside of being the second best free tick taker in PL history

croadyman

Joachim Anderson - Depending on fee. They paid about 18m for him though, and would want more than that in return. Would be a decent rotation option at CB if Lindelof/Maguire move on.

Ruben Neves - fee dependent. Could be a rotation option in for the double pivot.

Declan Rice - would be a very good signing. Expensive though.

Andre Onana - Everton would be looking for 50+m I think which would put me off, otherwise he'd be a good CM signing for the squad.

James Maddison - Again, another good rotation option. I'd put money on him ending up at Newcastle though.

Romeo Lavia - could learn from Casemiro. Would be an astute signing.
Yeah will go Lavia and Andersen,think the Neves fee won't suit if they stay up. Fully expecting Rice will sign for Arsenal and wouldn't be surprised if Maddison hasn't already got a verbal agreement with Newcastle