The potential relegation fire sale- 22/23

NoPace

Vardy? He's too old and injured too often. We'd have a bench full of knackered strikers on silly money that only play a dozen times per season. When we finally sign a striker I hope to feck he's under 25.
I agree, but Ronaldo gone in the summer, Vardy on loan here and in exchange we send them Pellistri or Amad to play on the right (they had nobody there until January) and they're narrowly staying up and we've got 4th comfortably.

Gandalf

As it stands its between Southampton, Leeds, Leicester, Forest and Everton. From those teams:

Southampton: Lavia, Bella Kotchap,.

Leeds: no one Daniel James

Leicester: Maddison, Tielemans

Forest: Gibbs White, Johnson

Everton: Onana Pickford

All this is considering they'll all be bargains. The only one for who I'll pay good money is Lavia.
I know he is an annoying cnut but Pickford is levels above any keeper we have had this century excluding VDS and he definitely would fit the philosophy ETH wants to implement.

Gandalf

I'm not 100% sure he's even been Everton's best keeper this century.
It's a fair cop, I was not actually commenting on Pickford compared to Everton keepers but I totally forgot that Howard even played for us. That said, the Tim Howard that Everton got was a lot better than anything we saw in his stint at Old Trafford which came too soon for him I think.

userman

Maybe its because he's bang average?
I’m not claiming he’s the next Casemiro, Busquets or Ballon’Dor (or even close), but I’m saying he might just prove to be a solid backup-DM that we can get on the cheap from a relegation fire sale.
As of now we don’t have a backup to Casemiro, we surely need one..

Last edited:

JagUTD

It's a fair cop, I was not actually commenting on Pickford compared to Everton keepers but I totally forgot that Howard even played for us. That said, the Tim Howard that Everton got was a lot better than anything we saw in his stint at Old Trafford which came too soon for him I think.
Howard at Everton was a beast. We saw glimpses at United. Did he not come out and admit that he wasn't mentally strong enough to make it at United?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Howard at Everton was a beast. We saw glimpses at United. Did he not come out and admit that he wasn't mentally strong enough to make it at United?
I felt we gave up on him pretty quickly but obviously no one can argue VDS replacing him was a bad idea.

jesperjaap

I'm not 100% sure he's even been Everton's best keeper this century.
I think he has develope dinto a very good keeper personally. However the person stating he fits into ETH and his philosophy, he isnt a ball playing keeper at all, very often plays the ball long thinking of safety first. And considrign that, think its ludicrous the person saying he woudl be the best keeper here this century by far here this century when DeGea was one of the best keepers in the world for a decent period of time, Pickford is a good keeper, not top tier best in world though

jesperjaap

Think one thing affects all of this, we have no idea what potential transfer fees would be. I know Leicester for example cant expect to hold on to Maddison in the championship....but that hardly means he will be going for peanuts, especially if there is serious competition for him, they could still be demanding £60-70m for him for all we know.

Also the other side of the coin, some of the names bandied about here, some of them are good players, but just because a player is at a relegated side and may be a good reduction on there price, that doesnt mean they actually improve us and the "back up" argument....we are possibly five players short of a genuine quality first eleven, even a good back up for £10-20m, is that so great if we dont have large funds this summer?

The biggest thing for me, even relegated, I still think the cream of this crop demand at the least something close to premiership fees in a summer we need several signings.....most of them there are players abroad probably cost half as much. Its a bit different to Fergie paying record fees for domestic players, they were generally cheaper than the foreign equivalent and the premiership had nowhere near the same pull. Nottingham Forest lets not forget paid £40m for Gibbs-White, I like him but would they sell him for less than that fee if relegated, I wouldnt have thought so and Caqueret, Le Fee, Viega, they would all be simlar fees if not cheaper I would guess.

4/5players purely as players I think could provide value, but most of them not sure about value fee wise.

One name been of interest before thoug hold surprised not seeing mentioned is Kaylor Navas. If we dont renew DeGeas contract its more than likely with the names bandied about to be a relatively yougn and experienced keeper we sign, I would expect Navas to be pretty cheap, he is still a very good keeper and offers a wealth of experience as a number two

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
actually the best evertons keeper this century was Nigel Martyn

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I know he is an annoying cnut but Pickford is levels above any keeper we have had this century excluding VDS and he definitely would fit the philosophy ETH wants to implement.

kaku06

As things stand right now

JWP
Walker peters
Lavia
Bella kotchap
Maddison
Tielemens

Anyone good enough for us?

UpWithRivers

Think one thing affects all of this, we have no idea what potential transfer fees would be. I know Leicester for example cant expect to hold on to Maddison in the championship....but that hardly means he will be going for peanuts, especially if there is serious competition for him, they could still be demanding £60-70m for him for all we know.

Also the other side of the coin, some of the names bandied about here, some of them are good players, but just because a player is at a relegated side and may be a good reduction on there price, that doesnt mean they actually improve us and the "back up" argument....we are possibly five players short of a genuine quality first eleven, even a good back up for £10-20m, is that so great if we dont have large funds this summer?

The biggest thing for me, even relegated, I still think the cream of this crop demand at the least something close to premiership fees in a summer we need several signings.....most of them there are players abroad probably cost half as much. Its a bit different to Fergie paying record fees for domestic players, they were generally cheaper than the foreign equivalent and the premiership had nowhere near the same pull. Nottingham Forest lets not forget paid £40m for Gibbs-White, I like him but would they sell him for less than that fee if relegated, I wouldnt have thought so and Caqueret, Le Fee, Viega, they would all be simlar fees if not cheaper I would guess.

4/5players purely as players I think could provide value, but most of them not sure about value fee wise.

One name been of interest before thoug hold surprised not seeing mentioned is Kaylor Navas. If we dont renew DeGeas contract its more than likely with the names bandied about to be a relatively yougn and experienced keeper we sign, I would expect Navas to be pretty cheap, he is still a very good keeper and offers a wealth of experience as a number two
Maddison has 1 year left on his contract. 40 mill should do it if they go down. I think its a bargain and we need someone to play RW while we are awaiting the world class Antony.

Oldyella

Was this post typed on dinosaur arms?

Real Name

Literally everthing in this post is wrong. Every bit.

redcucumber

Really hope we aren't in for Maddison. I know it's weird to have personal feelings about footballers but Maddison is the exception. Strikes me as an absolute bellend and he's got an annoyingly punchable face. Romeo Lavia is the only player I'd take from relegation candidates.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
:lol:

OMG I cant with this site anymore. I just can't. fecking hell.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I’d snap him up for a back-up / last 10min Hail Mary when we’re camped outside a box, he’d be more lethal than most of our current forwards.

I would also expect him to be quite cheap due to age, wages in Championship, only a year left on contract.

Plus, with him not being the main ST there wouldn’t be such a demand on him re: playing time and injuries.
He's scored 3 goals this season. He's done physically.

croadyman

Really hope we aren't in for Maddison. I know it's weird to have personal feelings about footballers but Maddison is the exception. Strikes me as an absolute bellend and he's got an annoyingly punchable face. Romeo Lavia is the only player I'd take from relegation candidates.
I like his personality and think he has that swagger to really flourish at this club. Little bit like we are seeing with Grealish now at City

redshaw

If we could bring on a kicker like in American Football, JWP would be sweet for our freekicks and corners.

TheGame

Have to disagree, had the most assists for an English player for a while I think. Would be great as another RW for a reasonable price.

jesperjaap

Maddison has 1 year left on his contract. 40 mill should do it if they go down. I think its a bargain and we need someone to play RW while we are awaiting the world class Antony.
Sorry, wasnt aware of the cotnract situation, so yes, makes sense. Was surprised to see he is 26 or whatever it was recently, thought he wsa younger for some reason

croadyman

Sorry, wasnt aware of the cotnract situation, so yes, makes sense. Was surprised to see he is 26 or whatever it was recently, thought he wsa younger for some reason
Yeah like I have said in this thread I have always felt he was made to play for Utd,however gut feeling is that he will join Newcastle

NoPace

Watching Leeds today, nobody stood out as really close to good enough, though Gnonto's desire is notable, but we have great options at his position.

My guess is the only top 7 teams that will sign relegated players are Maddison joining Spurs or Newcastle, Lavia maybe to Chelsea and possibly Walker-Peters to Arsenal who could use an attacking RB off the bench.

croadyman

Watching Leeds today, nobody stood out as really close to good enough, though Gnonto's desire is notable, but we have great options at his position.

My guess is the only top 7 teams that will sign relegated players are Maddison joining Spurs or Newcastle, Lavia maybe to Chelsea and possibly Walker-Peters to Arsenal who could use an attacking RB off the bench.
So we are getting none of them

NoPace

So we are getting none of them
I don't really expect Ten Hag to go for any of the relegated guys, maybe a loan of a Leicester #9 to compete with Martial if we sell Sancho and Elanga (or loan one) and keep Amad and Pellistri:

#9 - Kane or whoever, Martial, Daka/Vardy/Iheanacho, Rashford
LW - Rashford, Garnacho, Pellistri, Bruno
RW - Antony, Amad, Pellistri, Bruno

makes some sense if we can only spend like 60M in attack net. 4 options at each spot, 8 for 3 spots with Bruno obviously the #10 most of the time. 7 for 3 attacking spots feels a tad light. 5 wingers, but 3 strikers because Martial is never healthy. Pellistri would be mad though.

DavelinaJolie

Regardless of the starting spots we need to fill, I absolutely think a back up midfielder is crucial, especially in that can step in for Casemiro in his many suspended games. I don't watch Southampton much, but could Lavia be that player?

I'm intrigued by Ihenacho, but he wouldn't and shouldn't be as a starting option and I would imagine that's what he would want. It's a shame DCL got injured and never really kicked on because I thought he might be an option at one point.

Really like Madison as a player, but again he'll go somewhere where he starts regularly. Maybe we can prevent him going to Newcastle by selling them McTom.