The potential relegation fire sale- 22/23

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Gets a lot of injuries but - I’m a big fan of James Justin. Plays both right back and left back to a very high standard and provided he can stop doing his cruciate, could be a very shrewd signing.

Stig

Jack Harrison at least. He would be a good back-up all across our midfield and would give some of the starters more than a run for their money and challenge them directly for their shirt.

Zed 101

So we know Southampton are down, and it will be 2 from Leeds, Leicester and Everton to follow, these teams have some decent players in that have for whatever reason had bad seasons, look at us pre ETH! are there any players we should be looking to poach, hopefully at a bargain basement price?

IMO
Leicester - Maddison, Dewsbury-Hall
Leeds - Cannot think of any
Everton - Coady (although I would love to know what went on at Wolves), Calvert-Lewin
Southampton - Again struggling

Before anybody jumps down my throat I am talking about, bulking up the squad, if we are spending big elsewhere, I would actually like to get Maddison and Coady if they were available at a good price, Would argue that Maddison could easily rotate in with Bruno/Eriksen and Coady is better than Lindelof or Maguire

Tarrou

would take Lavia from Southampton, and Livramento (but is he still injured?)

Maddison would be a nice player to get for cheap

Nick7

Lavia and maybe Bella-Kotchap from Southampton are the only ones I’d even think twice about signing. But I think both would really benefit from a year in the Championship

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I think that James Ward-Prowse is so good at set pieces that the rest of his game gets under rated. He has been the best player at Southampton for years and operated in a 2 man midfield successfully for quite some time. Now imagine him with players who are actually better than him. I personally think he could be the #8 that we are looking for.

Kaos

I expect the likes of Spurs to mop up their players. Not particularly interested in any of them, not if we want to ascend to the next level.

Maddison perhaps as a squad option.

Skills

Snitch
This is probably the most stacked group of players to be relegated in recent times. Loads of players there good enough for top half football.

Someone's getting relative bargains with Maddison, Barnes, Iheanacho, Lavia, Livramento, KWP, JWP.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
How about Meslier? Is he rated here in the Caf? 23 year old promising GK who can easily be around for 10-15 years if it works out, or be sold at a decent price if it doesn't.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
How about Meslier? Is he rated here in the Caf? 23 year old promising GK who can easily be around for 10-15 years if it works out, or be sold at a decent price if it doesn't.
He. Is. Shit.

Allardyce even dropped him, rightly so.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Alcaraz and Lavia, from Southampton would all improve out squad in my opinion. Southampton are probably filled the most attractive options as it was a decision from them to sign young players. I'd add KWP to the list of useful signings though.

Leeds - I don't think anyone would be of interest to us.

Leicester - I think again, not sure anyone would really be of real interest to us - Maybe Maddison. I personally think Tielemans would be good for depth, but I get hammered for that opinion.

Everton - Onana and McNeil would be good options for the squad, but other than that it's slim pickings.

Idxomer

Maddison is easily better than Mount if we're going for an attacking midfielder who can get on the ball from deep.

saivet

Southampton:
  • Lavia - think he'd be a good Casemiro back up and future starter, replacing McTominay
  • KWP - if we sell AWB I'd be okay if he came in

Leeds:
  • No one
Leicester
  • No one for United but I think the likes of Castagne, Perreira, Maddison, Barnes, Tielamns will stay in the PL or a top league somewhere else

Everton:
  • Maybe Pickford if DDG doesn't get a new contract
  • I could see their squad being quite similar in the Championship

Don't think there are many players from a United perspective that we should be looking at and looking at their squads, I think it's more likely to be Leicester and Southampton that will get raided.

Crimson King

Yeah I wish Erik could see that too
I think you're all missing why he wants Mount. Carl Anka did a good video for Tifo recently on it.

Regarding Maddison, he plays better further forward and I don't think he's tactically adaptable like Mount is.

I don't really want either of them, but I think a midfield 3 of Bruno, Casemiro and Mount will work a lot better than with Maddison in there instead of Mount.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Maddison is a safer bet than Mount. I feel the former brings a bit more consistency and composure when we want to control games.

Norris Cole

Maddison is a good player but cant help but feel his attitude is poor. Seems arrogant without the consistency to back it up. Cant see him doing it in a 4-3-3 which is where I think ETH will want us to be longer term.

Lavia looks good. Ward-Prowse would be an acceptable squad option and his set pieces alone would likely earn a few points.
Tielemans is a tidy player but has fallen off a cliff form-wise and even if improved I'm not sure he offers enough to take us to the next level. Could be worth a shot if available <£30m.

Livramento looked excellent before his injury - not sure what his current status is.

Wildcard option:
Iheanacho - gut feeling that ETH could get a tune out of him, always looks lively.

Mmm-Qatarian

I think you're all missing why he wants Mount. Carl Anka did a good video for Tifo recently on it.

Regarding Maddison, he plays better further forward and I don't think he's tactically adaptable like Mount is.

I don't really want either of them, but I think a midfield 3 of Bruno, Casemiro and Mount will work a lot better than with Maddison in there instead of Mount.
I think you're on the money here.

I don't really think Maddison and Mount are massively similar players, honestly. I think people just see two English guys who have both played as attacking midfielders and concluded that they are.

Maddison is far more similar to Bruno than he is Mount, and that's why I think he makes much less sense as a transfer target. Maddison, like Bruno, is a high volume creator. He'll attempt a lot of high-risk moves in a game, and has the technical proficiency to mean that there's a high-reward from it. The issue is that you seldom want more than one of this type of player in your side at any given moment, since you then end up taking too many risks and struggling to exert control over a game.

Mount, in my view, is more of an "advanced 8". I'd say the player in our squad who he's most similar to is Sabitzer. He's technically competent but lacks the proficiency of somebody like Maddison or Bruno to play the "high risk, high reward" style that those two do. His primary strengths lie in the fact that he's exceptionally intelligent off the ball, and this holds true in all phases of the game (attacking, defensive, and transitional). I'm of the opinion that a midfield with Mount in it won't be exceptional without a primary creator alongside him (i.e. Bruno, Maddison etc.), but the work he puts in can really help elevate a midfield that does have one of those players already.

To be honest, with all this said I do have a few doubts over Mount. I don't know if he's comfortable enough under pressure to help us exert control in matches against stronger sides, especially given Casemiro's and Bruno's limitations in that regard. However, I do think he makes considerably more sense than Maddison, who I'd say is essentially just a weaker version of Bruno.

gajender

Carlos Alcaraz could be a option similar profile to Mount well worth a cheap punt .

eire-red

Alcaraz and Lavia, from Southampton would all improve out squad in my opinion. Southampton are probably filled the most attractive options as it was a decision from them to sign young players. I'd add KWP to the list of useful signings though.

Leeds - I don't think anyone would be of interest to us.

Leicester - I think again, not sure anyone would really be of real interest to us - Maybe Maddison. I personally think Tielemans would be good for depth, but I get hammered for that opinion.

Everton - Onana and McNeil would be good options for the squad, but other than that it's slim pickings.
Every time I've seen Alcaraz play he looks like he's a top prospect. Has that South American fire in him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Every time I've seen Alcaraz play he looks like he's a top prospect. Has that South American fire in him.
Definitely, get that same sort of vibe Martinez gives off. Real grafter, but with some proper skill and guile.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Leeds - wouldn't mind Tyler Adams as a squad player.
Southampton - Livramento is good. Lavia maybe though that feckup vs Liverpool was hard to watch. Don't rate KWP. Ward-Prowse is a good player but not sure he is quite what we need.
Leicester - Maddison is the pick but not what we need.Iheanacho might be a decent option off the bench.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We should be all over Maddison
Agree. Also, Iheanacho wouldn’t be the worst squad striker if we wanted to offload Weghorst and Martial. Only got a year left on his contract and is in line for a big pay cut due to their relegation.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

I think you’re swimming against the tide if you’re trying to educate the vast majority of posters on here. When you’ve got people saying Maddison is better than Mount, you already know they’ve got no understanding of what either really brings to the team and where ETH sees them fitting in. For what it’s worth, I like Maddison as a player, but not a player we need.

Tifo does some great analysis at times.

Dan_F

None of them are good enough to improve the first 11, which is ultimately where we need to be focusing. Once in a while we get a Malacia, but for the most part you end up with a Telles or DVB who isn’t good enough.

I haven’t watched enough of Southampton to have an opinion on Lavia, but that’s the one position where I think we’d do well to get a back up that can grow.

I don’t really see where Maddison plays with Bruno in the team.

Red-17

Leeds - wouldn't mind Tyler Adams as a squad player.
Southampton - Livramento is good. Lavia maybe though that feckup vs Liverpool was hard to watch. Don't rate KWP. Ward-Prowse is a good player but not sure he is quite what we need.
Leicester - Maddison is the pick but not what we need.Iheanacho might be a decent option off the bench.
Wouldn't mind Adams if we were to offload McTominay and/or Fred. He is better suited to the 6 role than either of them as a back up to Casemiro, although not sure the two of them together offer enough as a pair. He probably would be going to a club where he would get more guaranteed game time.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Should try to sign Maddison.
Doesn’t do much for us stylistically. He’s very much a baby version of Bruno. Newcastle is the best place he’ll get to showcase that

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Wouldn't mind Adams if we were to offload McTominay and/or Fred. He is better suited to the 6 role than either of them as a back up to Casemiro, although not sure the two of them together offer enough as a pair. He probably would be going to a club where he would get more guaranteed game time.
Considering Casemiro’s age it wouldn’t make any sense to sign a backup DM would not be ready to become the regular starter in a year or so. Personally don’t see that kind of potential in Adams.