Television Tho Prop Grops Throps

Bwuk

Shock horror Cody is facing Jericho.

Cody will win. AEW don't have enough faces for Jerichos reign to last any length of time. It'll have to be him or Moxley.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Why I can't take Meltzer seriously.

Walter/Bate 5.25 stars. Cool.

Pac/Omega 4.25 stars. Cool. Was my match of the night on All Out. Followed by Cody/Spears 4 stars.

Lucha Bros/ Young bucks 5.25 stars. Absolute joker. Yes it's all opinion and what not but he's held in such esteem he needs to be called out on it.

It was the same spotfest we saw in their first match. He complained that Gargano/Cole did "too much and gave them a 4. It's inconsistent at best and pure bias at worse.

If wasn't for Walter/Bate (A genuine match of the year contender) that bucks match (not even a match of the night contender IMO) is never getting 5.25 stars.

b82REZ

Pac/Omega 4.25 stars. Cool. Was my match of the night on All Out. Followed by Cody/Spears 4 stars.

Lucha Bros/ Young bucks 5.25 stars. Absolute joker. Yes it's all opinion and what not but he's held in such esteem he needs to be called out on it.

It was the same spotfest we saw in their first match. He complained that Gargano/Cole did "too much and gave them a 4. It's inconsistent at best and pure bias at worse.

If wasn't for Walter/Bate (A genuine match of the year contender) that bucks match (not even a match of the night contender IMO) is never getting 5.25 stars.
Of course he's biased. Bucks named a move after him.

I pay him absolutely no attention. Guys an attention seeking dickhead.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Meltzer desperately wants competition for WWE. So if he can use his influence to get more people watching a competitor by giving it a lot of coverage, or making it out to be better than it is then that's what he's going to do. He did it to an extent with NJPW too. Which is fair enough, just he sometimes gets pissy when people call him on his bias.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

I hate how revered those star ratings are. What is worse is some wrestlers buy into it. As mentioned, The Young Bucks naming a move after him. You had Will Ospreay thanking him for rating one of his matches 5 stars recently. It's pathetic.

Anyway, WWE blowing their load early with this; Becky & Charlotte vs Sasha & Bayley has been announced for Raw.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've stopped watching wrestling, but without reading the new pages can someone summarise how AEW is doing? I would love them to knock WWE off their perch at some point.

paulscholes18

I've stopped watching wrestling, but without reading the new pages can someone summarise how AEW is doing? I would love them to knock WWE off their perch at some point.
AEW weekly shows don’t start till October 2nd, but Vince being Vince has set up NXT weekly shows on the same day on a channel that’s in more homes in America.

AEW tag team game blows WWE’s out of the water by having legit tag teams, like Young Bucks, Lucha Bros, Kaz & Daniels, Boy and his Dinosaur. WWE have chucked together Strowman & Rollins V Roode & Ziggler

Last edited:

Ekeke

Of course he's biased. Bucks named a move after him.

I pay him absolutely no attention. Guys an attention seeking dickhead.
Daniels and Kazarian named their move after him too, the Best Meltzer Ever. How many 5 star matches do they have again?

Ekeke

You take the ratings too seriously. Its just part of the observer newsletter its not the be all and end all and arguing over half a star or something is probably not worth more than a few seconds.

Lucha is a completely different style and clearly you dont like it. But lots of people do. And Meltzer knows about Lucha.

Yes its very much a spotfest but there was also a storyline building to their matches. You may not like the type of match it is, but of that type of match it was one of the best. Its the same thing with the hardcore/death match - Meltzer doesn't like that stuff himself but if you're going to do a deathmatch then the Havoc, Janela and Allin one was a pretty good version of it. So he gave it a pretty good rating despite not really liking that stuff himself. I dont think anyone would suggest it was as good a deathmatch as the ladder match was for a ladder match. Thats why theres a difference in the ratings, but he's trying to be objective and not bring his personal bias against hardcore/death matches into it.

Personally I liked the pac/omega match more as well, but for a ladder match that one will last in my memory and the next ladder match has a lot to live up to. So I can see why some people loved it.

Oh also I usually disagree with Meltzer on his ratings of womens matches. And WWE matches tend to be rated higher than I would too.

So I'm certainly not saying he's the guy who gets the last say on whether wrestling is good or not. But I do appreciate that for the most part he tries to do a good job of being unbiased, but people who dont watch as much wrestling around the world or only watch 1 or 2 promotions are going to have a more sheltered perspective than he does because they just aren't aware of the standards elsewhere. Think of it like WWE being the premier league. If all you watch is the premier league you probably dont have a very good understanding of whats going on in Serie A, La Liga or elsewhere. A young player might come through in the premier league and you might think hes the next big thing, completely unaware that theres 3 players his age in Serie A and La Liga playing even better than he is.

Thats why Meltzer is a very good wrestling historian and a good source of information and perspective. He's been trying to stay informed about wrestling promotions worldwide for a very long time. So he has a wealth of experience and knows what has and hasnt worked in wrestling in the past as hes seen promotions get hot, and others fall off a cliff and die. He's not perfect but he's the best you have. Especially when you consider wrestling has always been a carny endeavor, trying to work people. 99% of the other people reporting on wrestling or giving their view are trying to work people to get themselves over.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
You take the ratings too seriously. Its just part of the observer newsletter its not the be all and end all and arguing over half a star or something is probably not worth more than a few seconds.

Lucha is a completely different style and clearly you dont like it. But lots of people do. And Meltzer knows about Lucha.

Yes its very much a spotfest but there was also a storyline building to their matches. You may not like the type of match it is, but of that type of match it was one of the best. Its the same thing with the hardcore/death match - Meltzer doesn't like that stuff himself but if you're going to do a deathmatch then the Havoc, Janela and Allin one was a pretty good version of it. So he gave it a pretty good rating despite not really liking that stuff himself. I dont think anyone would suggest it was as good a deathmatch as the ladder match was for a ladder match. Thats why theres a difference in the ratings, but he's trying to be objective and not bring his personal bias against hardcore/death matches into it.

Personally I liked the pac/omega match more as well, but for a ladder match that one will last in my memory and the next ladder match has a lot to live up to. So I can see why some people loved it.

Oh also I usually disagree with Meltzer on his ratings of womens matches. And WWE matches tend to be rated higher than I would too.

So I'm certainly not saying he's the guy who gets the last say on whether wrestling is good or not. But I do appreciate that for the most part he tries to do a good job of being unbiased, but people who dont watch as much wrestling around the world or only watch 1 or 2 promotions are going to have a more sheltered perspective than he does because they just aren't aware of the standards elsewhere. Think of it like WWE being the premier league. If all you watch is the premier league you probably dont have a very good understanding of whats going on in Serie A, La Liga or elsewhere. A young player might come through in the premier league and you might think hes the next big thing, completely unaware that theres 3 players his age in Serie A and La Liga playing even better than he is.

Thats why Meltzer is a very good wrestling historian and a good source of information and perspective. He's been trying to stay informed about wrestling promotions worldwide for a very long time. So he has a wealth of experience and knows what has and hasnt worked in wrestling in the past as hes seen promotions get hot, and others fall off a cliff and die. He's not perfect but he's the best you have. Especially when you consider wrestling has always been a carny endeavor, trying to work people. 99% of the other people reporting on wrestling or giving their view are trying to work people to get themselves over
It's not about taking ratings seriously at all, I couldn't care less about meltzers ratings simply because they're bollocks and the dude is literally bias.

Infact no one has said his ratings are the be all and end all, just that he quite clearly and obviously is bias, and that some fans and even wrestlers buy into it.

What I find hilarious about him is the fact that he'll called out on his bullshit ratings and simply say don't argue about it, they're just his opinions don't take them seriously. Then he'll say something like this https://m.imgur.com/r/SCJerk/9Qig1TW

It has nothing to do with me liking or not liking lucha, that's a completely irrelevant point and you're only guessing there. It has everything to do with the fact that there were 2 better matches on the card, this is a match we've seen multiple times recently across AEW and AAA, and it's just become a spotfest. Half the match was boring because we've literally seen it already multiple times. Seriously how many times in one show am I going to see a Canadian destroyer?

The problem is he's only one close to being a critic or journalist in wrestling. There isn't anyone else. Retired wrestlers tend go do their own thing or start podcasts reviewing the week but don't tend to become sources of information. If we had more journalists and critics he wouldn't be able to literally sell his bullshit opinions and wrestling fans wouldn't be gullible enough to lap it all up.

Sylar

I really enjoyed the Ladder match. It was great. However it was great in a 'what crazy shit are they gonna do next' type of deal rather than an emotional one. Not that its a bad thing either. However imo Walter/Bate was a better match over the weekend. Given I like both NXT UK and AEW, I want both to succeed and have no bias with one over the other, the NXT Uk main event seemed to tick more boxes in terms of greatness compared to the ladder match (but again, thats arguing over opinions)

However DM does seem to think his opinions should be taken as gospel (didnt he tell somebody if they dont agree with him at least 70% of the time, they are completely wrong and live a wrong life or some shit).

R.E.D.

The problem with Meltzer is how he exaggerates things. I mean I loved the Ladder Match but then I'm listening to him and out of nowhere he says that was the best Ladder Match in history. I mean come on the best in the history? That was just a spotfest. If you consider psychology of the matches you can't put that match amongst the classics. I personally love these matches but then I go and watch Walter vs Bate and after that match I'm like that's why I love wrestling. The psychology of the match is just perfect, the crowd is the best crowd that I've seen, Walter is a great big man, Bate is the absolute definition of an underdog babyface, Nigel McGuinness loosing his mind, everything was perfect and that's a classic.

And then he says it should have gone last. The match to determine the first ever AEW Champion is on the card and he says the match for the belts that they are not going to mention ever again should be last. Just how? I love listening to Meltzer and Alvarez but Meltzer sometimes says things that sounds bias.

Keefy18

Just watched NXT Cardiff and Walter v Bate was absolutely amazing, like incredible amazing!

I'd love to see Walter get promoted to the main roster attack Lesnar and take over as the companies monster heel.

That punishment Bate took was Foley levels of pain!

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
The problem with Meltzer is how he exaggerates things. I mean I loved the Ladder Match but then I'm listening to him and out of nowhere he says that was the best Ladder Match in history. I mean come on the best in the history? That was just a spotfest. If you consider psychology of the matches you can't put that match amongst the classics. I personally love these matches but then I go and watch Walter vs Bate and after that match I'm like that's why I love wrestling. The psychology of the match is just perfect, the crowd is the best crowd that I've seen, Walter is a great big man, Bate is the absolute definition of an underdog babyface, Nigel McGuinness loosing his mind, everything was perfect and that's a classic.

And then he says it should have gone last. The match to determine the first ever AEW Champion is on the card and he says the match for the belts that they are not going to mention ever again should be last. Just how? I love listening to Meltzer and Alvarez but Meltzer sometimes says things that sounds bias.
Pretty much how I feel. Almost as if he says it for the controversy, to get people talking about his opinion.

Andersons Dietician

Where has Lars Sullivan gone? Is he injured or did they just decide to pull him.

Edit: knee injury and supposedly out till summer 2020.

Robertd0803

Just watched NXT Cardiff and Walter v Bate was absolutely amazing, like incredible amazing!

I'd love to see Walter get promoted to the main roster attack Lesnar and take over as the companies monster heel.

That punishment Bate took was Foley levels of pain!
Bate kicking out of the top rope splash was beyond stupid. Killed the match for me.

Walter has said a few times he has no interest in living in America so not likely he will ever be full time on the main roster.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Bate kicking out of the top rope splash was beyond stupid. Killed the match for me.

Walter has said a few times he has no interest in living in America so not likely he will ever be full time on the main roster.
I mean that wouldn't stop him from being the new Brock Lesnar tbf.

Sylar

love listening to Meltzer and Alvarez but Meltzer sometimes says things that sounds bias.
"like.... i mean.... you know.... its like... you know...like whatever"
He does that a lot :lol: Its always funny when he cuts off Alvarez, does that, and Alvarez just continues like Dave didnt say anything.

Andersons Dietician

Was just watching Helwani and he had Cain Velasquez on. Seemingly he went and trained with the WWE and they had conversations with him about what kind of schedule he was planning on having, like did he just fancy doing bits here or there or does he want in 100%.

Said he wasn’t offered a contract but there were conversations but wonder how Brock would feel with Cain being in the WWE. I want to see it

Sylar

Brock would probably think, shit loads more money to make in a one off match.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Was just watching Helwani and he had Cain Velasquez on. Seemingly he went and trained with the WWE and they had conversations with him about what kind of schedule he was planning on having, like did he just fancy doing bits here or there or does he want in 100%.

Said he wasn’t offered a contract but there were conversations but wonder how Brock would feel with Cain being in the WWE. I want to see it
Reckon WWE would be allowed to do a legit MMA fight?

Sylar

First time ive watched Raw live in ages. I already know im not going to watch the whole thing.

The opening segment was fun, but honestly, it was only cos of Austin. And in the end, Austin gets one over one of the current guys. I mean that would be great, if it lead to something, but I just wish (and kinda still hope) autin comes out again, but this time is interrupted by the Fiend.

Sylar

Gran metalik Vs Rey was so much fun. They need to have Rey Vs different 205 guys

Also gran metalik with the white ranger / green ranger tribute was great

AshRK

So KO again getting fired. Jeez. They should have KO lose to shane in Summer slam and have him fired that way. Atleast then we could have a believable stroyline. Now KO has been made to look like an idiot, which is what most faces are made to look like.

Not surprised Stone Cold did not get attacked. I have never seen him putting over anyone ever, so why would he agree to do it now. I am happy WWE are not over exposing the Fiend and I feel the title shot at HIAC is too soon. Let him keep his mystery rather than over exposing him.

Keefy18

Actually added to it for me.

I took it that it was simply instinctive more than being super human.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Clash of Champions feels like a C-tier PPV to me. The 4HW matches would feel big if it wasn't so obvious that they will both end in shenanigans.