Television Tho Prop Grops Throps

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Enjoyed AEW, show seemed to go by quick as a flash. But. Thats up to the main event... I always pause and wonder if I really want to make the time to watch Best Friends matches. Sometimes I do, often I just dont care. They arent for me
I thought it was a fun plunder match ... I do wonder if it's time for Wrestling to invent a gimmicked car though.

Ekeke

NXT UK relaunched this week. Just 4 mins in and we have the first person inside the ring that isnt in a video package and there it is... front and center Sid Scala, Mariah May's trainer who she had this to say about

Last edited:

Charlie Foley

My cousin sent me this. Sorry if it’s old news. Is JR saying around one minute to 1:10 he thinks the virus is a hoax to get rid of Trump? Or the talk of a vaccine is political posturing by Trump? Surely the former? If so, what a cnut

manutddjw

Just had an interesting conversation about wrestling and thought I'd ask you guys. A bit of background, I've been a wrestling fan since 1991 and have seen quite a bit. This debate centered around "flippy shit" and "no psychology" which seems to be a big thing amongst fans online nowadays.

My opinion is, I like varieties of wrestling. I don't want a show of 3 hours of the same style matches. I love the WWE style, but I don't mind some flippy shit, hardcore matches, strong style etc. To me guys like Ricocchet , Will Ospreay and Kota Ibushi do some amazing things that are incredible to watch. Do they make sense or display "proper storytelling"? No. But I'm still entertained. Keep in mind I grew up on Bret Hart where storytelling was everything.

I think Mick Foley said it best that wrestling was a 3 ring circus where if you didn't like the clowns, you'd like the elephants or the guy getting shot out of the cannon. I like all of the above. I was fortunate to be in person for Hogan vs Rock at WM 18 and I can tell you I gave the same standing applause I did for when I was live for Ciampa vs Gargano in the Cruiserweight Classic (their best match in my opinion). 2 very different style matches but the same mark reaction from me.

What about you guys? Do you like variety or are you set on one particular style of how wrestling is supposed to be?

Sylar

@manutddjw defo variety. I think most people on here will say same

Funny you mentioned Osprey and ibushi cos one of their matches was brilliant story telling (which funnily enough I'm sure a spot of theirs was copied by WWE)

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
What about you guys? Do you like variety or are you set on one particular style of how wrestling is supposed to be?
I'm into a bit of everything as long as it's executed well. If the execution is sloppy, lacking in energy, or without any context, then it won't matter what the style is; the performance will be poor.

Sylar

I mean the likes of regal stood up for that (although watching that or any clip without context would seem bizarre)

Whilst it might not be for you, you just need to see the crowd in the background of that

R.E.D.

Just had an interesting conversation about wrestling and thought I'd ask you guys. A bit of background, I've been a wrestling fan since 1991 and have seen quite a bit. This debate centered around "flippy shit" and "no psychology" which seems to be a big thing amongst fans online nowadays.

My opinion is, I like varieties of wrestling. I don't want a show of 3 hours of the same style matches. I love the WWE style, but I don't mind some flippy shit, hardcore matches, strong style etc. To me guys like Ricocchet , Will Ospreay and Kota Ibushi do some amazing things that are incredible to watch. Do they make sense or display "proper storytelling"? No. But I'm still entertained. Keep in mind I grew up on Bret Hart where storytelling was everything.
Well it's interesting because wrestlers like Bret Hart actually praise the work of a lot of these wrestlers who are technically gifted and they actually say a different story in their matches all the time in my opinion. Now don't ask me to put an actual quote from The Hitman about Will Ospreay for example because I don't think I can find that but because I love Bret Hart and I've listened to him a lot talking about wrestling I know he likes these kind of stuff.

The lack of storytelling and psychology in wrestling is something that actually comes from old wrestlers who could work a crowd but weren't actually technically great wrestlers. As I said I know Bret Hart likes them and someone like Shawn Michaels is behind most of the great matches that we see in NXT. well they are 2 of 3 top technical wrestlers of modern era in my opinion, that's why I named them.

The thing is I think Ibushi or Ospreay are fantastic in storytelling. I mean Ibushi's match against Oakada at WK this year was one the best things you can find in terms of storytelling.

I get what you say about flip flops and these kinds of stuff and I agree there's a lot of spot fests in wrestling, but I think the quality of matches at this era both in terms of technicality and storytelling is probably the best it's ever been in wrestling.

Ekeke

I think Mick Foley said it best that wrestling was a 3 ring circus where if you didn't like the clowns, you'd like the elephants or the guy getting shot out of the cannon. I like all of the above. I was fortunate to be in person for Hogan vs Rock at WM 18 and I can tell you I gave the same standing applause I did for when I was live for Ciampa vs Gargano in the Cruiserweight Classic (their best match in my opinion). 2 very different style matches but the same mark reaction from me.

Will Ospreay's matches in 2019-2020 have told some of the better stories you will see in wrestling. Yes 3 or 4 years ago in specific matches he did more of a high flying showcase than a real story in some matches. But he's in NJPW where the entire stories happen inside the ring and the best matches there have the best ring psychology in wrestling.

For me its about looking enough like a match or fight in a show or movie. Sometimes wrestlers do moves that dont look good the way they perform them, even if you're trying to suspend your disbelief. If you can't make it look decent then dont do it. That annoys me more than doing a flip into a move. Because sometimes flashy, spinny, flippy shit works in MMA too.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
You'd think people causing criminal damage and violent behavior in the work place every week would get fired. Can't see them going far with this storyline.

Also looks like they've run out of ideas for Rey again with the not the dad story.

Sylar

The Retribution thing gets worse each week :lol: I dont understand the whole hating everybody due to money, after saying they signed contracts (where they will get paid)? What?
I miss the days of Aces n Eights in TNA. That was done 100x better than this.

Ekeke

Retribution is a car crash. But what do you expect when the entire reason for that faction was to have an excuse for the lights to be going out so it could look like Orton maybe punted Flair?

Mia Yim was attacking Keith Lee, her husband :lol:

Sylar

Mia Yim was attacking Keith Lee, her husband :lol:

It makes no sense as well since shes still appearing on NXT. Or was so anyway last time I watched. They are using people who still actively appear on NXT. If anything, it should be people who were 'fired' during the pandemic. Or people who have been in NXT for a long time, then disappeared without reason and went nowhere.

Anyway, Hurt Business are great. Shame they are on Raw rather than SD.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
RAW was total garbage... this Retribution thing has to be one of the worst "big" angles in quite some time.

Shame as I think Smackdown has been really good/hot of late... It always feels that when one show is good the other is bad, like WWE are incapable of booking two decent shows per week on a regular basis.

Ekeke

It makes no sense as well since shes still appearing on NXT. Or was so anyway last time I watched. They are using people who still actively appear on NXT. If anything, it should be people who were 'fired' during the pandemic. Or people who have been in NXT for a long time, then disappeared without reason and went nowhere.

Anyway, Hurt Business are great. Shame they are on Raw rather than SD.
Seems like they just used people they didnt have any real plans with on the main roster. They'll continue as the gang faction for a bit, then split them up and most will be Sarah Logan'd into obscurity. Dijak they might do something with after just because hes tall and has had his series of matches over the years with Lee

Ekeke

Watching the Late Night Dynamite special from last night, I didnt know about Ben Carter before but that was a hell of a showcase match against Scorpio Sky. Hes from Jersey so hes from the British Isles too. Hopefully he becomes a star in AEW. The match is a must see if you like fast and athletic matches

Last edited:

Ekeke

Also Animal of the Road Warriors and Legion of Doom (biggest drawing tag team) seems to have passed away. RIP

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Just flicked through Clash. Ladder match was great. Sami is amazing. Reigns was great. Smackdown is great.

They're absolutely nailing this Roman character so far. Isn't there rumours of him fighting The Rock at Mania.. The way this story is going, that'd be great.

It was only very much flicking through it, so hard to have a real judgment, but it seemed a decent enough show

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I will never not be grossed out by Jeff Hardy's ear.

That main event was first-rate story-telling... I didn't think anyone would top Orton's heel work this year, but Reigns has been brilliant, doing the best character work of his career by a million miles.

Castia

Haven’t watched any wrestling in a couple of months so I’m out of the loop apart from seeing the odd highlight.

Looking in the Roman Reigns stuff looks great. I hated him as a face and he’s generally one of the things that put me off watching wwe but from what I’ve seen he’s killing it as a heel.

b82REZ

The clips I've seen of Reigns, that should have been his character when the Shield split. He'd be the baby face they clearly want him to be by now.

Sylar

Haha

The two top title matches and the first match were all really good fun. The rest seemed like standard Raw/SD stuff but given it was a 3 hours show, the three matches made up for it.

Didnt get the point of Bayleys opponent when it was always going to be used as an angle anyway.

Ekeke

2020 the year that we finally got some of the heels we should have had 3 or 4 years ago. Reigns and Bayley doing their best work ever. No Cena though

Sylar

Bayley has been great as a heel.
Sami has been so much fun too.

Though I do miss both of them as top faces on NXT. Then again WWE/Raw/SD didnt know how to use Kaire as a face so theres that too.

Ekeke

So Retribution are off tv because they've been in contact with someone who had covid. If they wanted to destroy WWE wouldnt they all just turn up even if they have covid?