Television Tho Prop Grops Throps

choccy77

There was an incident around 2000 where Bill Goldberg was encouraged to confront Triple H during a wrestling convention, and he didn't come across well. Building storylines and feuds is one thing, but it isn't always a good idea for wrestlers to do that sort of thing because it could backfire if it comes across as a desperate attempt for attention (and all it would take for that to happen is for the confronted wrestlers to no-sell the visitors and carry on with their show).

Having said that, the thought of another company's wrestlers sitting at Wrestlemania brings up memories of the cans that sat in the skybox at Wrestlemania 17, right after WWE bought out WCW.
Iron Sheik was once offered money by owner of another territory to break Hulks leg so that he couldn't become a star in WWF.

Sheik refused.

choccy77

That’s just not true though is it.

The Lesnar contract signing is up at 3.7m from Friday on YouTube, none of AEW content even hit 1m yet and that’s just just one video. That’s just one example.

Agreed. The whole demo thing is nonsense. I’d love to know exactly why the 18-34 year old male demographic is the most valuable apparently.
Live & recorded shows are tracked for data, I don't think digital comes into it, other than just for hype.

AEW gets a lot of hits on Youtube, they even have a show on YouTube and Khan said there will be more fresh content coming.

cyberman

My company works with broadcasters on addressable tv and advertising

Anybody who says demos don't matter are wrong or are ignorant and unwilling to learn for some reason

The key demos are huge for advertisers and they look at that for a reason. It's not an exact science as most have said but it's what you have and where the money is made and how it's distributed. Theres a reason WWE will want to eat into aew and put that extra 30 minutes and load it with their biggest stars

Aew wants to keep consistent and grow for that because their next tv contract will be even bigger now.

Not exactly true when it comes to USA. Advertisers want to precision target viewers and nielsen is part of the reason that allows them to.

Again, ratings are important to the companies, however it's funny to see fans use it as a way of saying which product is better.

Smack down dynamite and rampage were all great over the weekend, and if that's because of competition its great for the fans

It's not nonsense and demos aren't a new thing just because of aew.

@Ekeke is right a few posts up with regards to YouTube, tv deals and advertising.

It's fine as a fan to say it doesn't concern you or you don't care, but to dismiss it's importance to a company is wrong. Wwes reaction with regards to their shows since aew has come to life shows that completely
Nielsen will be suspended until it ups it’s standards and that process hasn’t started yet so we are arguing over numbers that Nielsen itself says is misleading.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...ielsen-woes-tv-ratings-1235009554-1235009554/

choccy77

I don't think it's particularly more valuable than another demographic, but 18-34 is their target demographic. They're the people who grew up watching wrestling in its prime and now grown tired of the WWE product.
In advertising 18-34 is seen as the top buying power, that's why everyone focuses on that market solely

Sylar

Nielsen will be suspended until it ups it’s standards and that process hasn’t started yet so we are arguing over numbers that Nielsen itself says is misleading.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...ielsen-woes-tv-ratings-1235009554-1235009554/
The most important part

"Practically speaking, not much will come of the suspension in the short term. Nielsen, led by CEO David Kenny, will keep collecting ratings data and supply it to clients. No one has dropped the company’s service, and no new standard is likely to emerge before the start of the fall TV"

As I said, it's still important and still used, at least for now

There is no argument to have. The numbers reported (whilst maybe misleading ) are still used by advertisers which ultimately leads to what tv companies look at.

Now if there's another company to take advantage or similar then there's a discussion to be had
Until then, what I said stillll remains

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
One demographic for 15 minutes and wrestling internet loses its mind. It's the saddest shit.

United lost in every metric to Leicester but we won the possession demo with 52%...

#OleIn

Ekeke

One demographic for 15 minutes and wrestling internet loses its mind. It's the saddest shit.

United lost in every metric to Leicester but we won the possession demo with 52%...

#OleIn
30 minutes and WWE obviously put it there to mess with AEW. So of course its laughed at when it backfires. There would have been no head to head without that

cyberman

The most important part

"Practically speaking, not much will come of the suspension in the short term. Nielsen, led by CEO David Kenny, will keep collecting ratings data and supply it to clients. No one has dropped the company’s service, and no new standard is likely to emerge before the start of the fall TV"

As I said, it's still important and still used, at least for now

There is no argument to have. The numbers reported (whilst maybe misleading ) are still used by advertisers which ultimately leads to what tv companies look at.

Now if there's another company to take advantage or similar then there's a discussion to be had
Until then, what I said stillll remains
But it’s the inaccuracy that’s the main point. They may be stuck with it but wrestling fans aren’t beholden to them which makes this entire circus weird and hilarious. Even then (apparently) the coveted demo is moving up as they follow millennials as they get older. There’s so many factors that goes into advertising that it’s not a rewards list as it’s made out to be. Apparently the average age of viewers of scripted tv last year was 61 over there.

Last edited:

Sylar

But it’s the inaccuracy that’s the main point. They may be stuck with it but wrestling fans aren’t beholden to them which makes this entire circus weird and hilarious. Even then (apparently) the coveted demo is moving up as they follow millennials as they get older. There’s so many factors that goes into advertising that it’s not a rewards list as it’s made out to be. Apparently the average age of viewers of scripted tv last year was 61 over there.
Yeah that's fine and all, and as said, if you as a fan dont want to discuss it or have no interest in it, that's fine

But people pretending the demo is meaningless are living in a cloud.

For me, wrestling is great when it's done right, and I enjoyed the weekend for the most part, from SD and AEW.

In terms of interest in metrics and all, people who deny the meaning of it are just as weird. Ignorance in 2021 is no excuse when there's no much material out there to know why these things are important

noodlehair

"It's like..."

This thing scares me for some reason. I hate it.
All of this graphics shit is so cringey. It looks awful and belongs on a kid's before school show.

Although nothing is going to beat the choo choo train sound when Bron Strowman used to run round the outside of the ring.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I like Lashley's, his whole entrance is brilliant. It's oldschool, just footage of him wrecking people.

But the rest are rubbish. Roman's looks like it has about 6 frames of animation.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Still loving aew, but can someone please explain to the fecking announcer his name is JON moxley, not jeeeeeeooooon moxley.

Ladron de redcafe

War of words between Eric Bischoff (who is doing a podcast with Conrad Thompson) and Tony Khan (EVP of AEW).

At times, I felt that Eric was fair with some of his criticism of Tony Khan (and AEW), while at others, he seems a little defensive and gives a sense that he wants to retain the "only man to compete with Vince" claim, and so dismisses anything from AEW's side.

It could be a combination of both, but saying that Tony Khan should "be quiet" (as much as I agree with him), is hypocrisy at its finest, when Bischoff was exactly what Tony is now, except even more arrogant, and more boisterous.

ZDwyr

The comments (from Bischoff) have certainly given him and his podcast some attention. I imagine that was ultimately what he was hoping to achieve with what he said.

Ekeke

War of words between Eric Bischoff (who is doing a podcast with Conrad Thompson) and Tony Khan (EVP of AEW).

At times, I felt that Eric was fair with some of his criticism of Tony Khan (and AEW), while at others, he seems a little defensive and gives a sense that he wants to retain the "only man to compete with Vince" claim, and so dismisses anything from AEW's side.

It could be a combination of both, but saying that Tony Khan should "be quiet" (as much as I agree with him), is hypocrisy at its finest, when Bischoff was exactly what Tony is now, except even more arrogant, and more boisterous.
WCW would give away WWF's results and talk shit about them before Raw was launched, as WCW was live and WWF had a taped show. What WCW and WWF would do to one another is in another world to what Tony Khan said this past week

Ladron de redcafe

WCW would give away WWF's results and talk shit about them before Raw was launched, as WCW was live and WWF had a taped show. What WCW and WWF would do to one another is in another world to what Tony Khan said this past week
Yeah, I agree. I don't think there's anything outrageous about what Khan is currently doing. It might backfire if (when?) AEW struggle to compete with Vince, but attempting to take WWE head-on and calling them out isn't something Eric himself hasn't done, nevermind challenging Vince to a fight on Nitro and planting the "Vince fears Ted/Eric" signs on Nitro.

Sylar

Haven't they been pretty entertaining from what I remember?
They've been memorable whether it's for good or bad
Issue is lack of a passionate crowd that takes away from certain matches

choccy77

Nice to see WWE putting some women in a position of prominence there. Says it all when the initial pop wasn't so loud, but hopefully it makes the rulers a little more uncomfortable