Television Tho Prop Grops Throps

Ekeke

It’s how pushes go now innit, you get a title reign from MITB to around the Rumble.
And thats where the problem of building new stars is. Brock, Roman, Goldberg, Orton or Lashley and that tier of guys bring more exposure right now. They're bigger stars.

So how does someone like Drew or Big E become a big star? They need to be given the push of being treated as the same tier or they'll teach the audience that the real stars are the old guys who have been in the main events for 10 years or more.

Big E is the latest chance to make a star. Other than not being 6'4+ he's everything WWE suggests they want. He couldnt have worked more on his body, he has charisma, he's good in the ring, he can talk, he's well liked...

So here they have the chance to make him the next Lashley. With Drew last time around he didnt get his crowning moment in front of the fans which may have stopped his momentum a bit. But with Big E he had his moment and they just arent running with him.

If you keep going to the past you eat away at the future and things get stale because you see the same faces doing the same things repeatedly year after year and dont feel like you miss anything important because nothing much changes

I hope that this time next year Drew and Big E are doing big things for the big titles for the Rumble and Wrestlemania in front of crowds and helping them to reach the higher levels. But I'm going to predict they'll be in mid card titles and feuds again instead

Bwuk

And thats where the problem of building new stars is. Brock, Roman, Goldberg, Orton or Lashley and that tier of guys bring more exposure right now. They're bigger stars.

So how does someone like Drew or Big E become a big star? They need to be given the push of being treated as the same tier or they'll teach the audience that the real stars are the old guys who have been in the main events for 10 years or more.

Big E is the latest chance to make a star. Other than not being 6'4+ he's everything WWE suggests they want. He couldnt have worked more on his body, he has charisma, he's good in the ring, he can talk, he's well liked...

So here they have the chance to make him the next Lashley. With Drew last time around he didnt get his crowning moment in front of the fans which may have stopped his momentum a bit. But with Big E he had his moment and they just arent running with him.

If you keep going to the past you eat away at the future and things get stale because you see the same faces doing the same things repeatedly year after year and dont feel like you miss anything important because nothing much changes

I hope that this time next year Drew and Big E are doing big things for the big titles for the Rumble and Wrestlemania in front of crowds and helping them to reach the higher levels. But I'm going to predict they'll be in mid card titles and feuds again instead
Drew has been in world title matches the last two wrestlemanias. If he wasn’t injured I’d say he has a great chance at winning the rumble again.

Big E was never a main eventer long term. I like him, but I don’t think he was ever holding it to Mania.

choccy77

WWE are reliant on

Roman, Orton, Owens, Brock, Seth, Edge, Lynch, Flair and Banks.

That's all the top draw they have remaining.

The rest are not relevant.

Ekeke

WWE are reliant on

Lashley as well in recent times, though maybe not as much with Brock back. Seems funny to mention someone that old being the "new guy" to the main eventers list but at the same time he keeps himself in such great physical shape.

choccy77

Lashley as well in recent times, though maybe not as much with Brock back. Seems funny to mention someone that old being the "new guy" to the main eventers list but at the same time he keeps himself in such great physical shape.
I left him out because he isn't a real marketable draw IMO unless you put him against Brock and Brock would still be the draw.

WWE is just dire.

Ekeke

I left him out because he isn't a real marketable draw IMO unless you put him against Brock and Brock would still be the draw.

WWE is just dire.
Oh yeah im not even talking about draws. I'm just talking about the people Vince will repeatedly go to for the main event scene rather than just experimenting with someone and then dropping them back into the middle like Kofi... And hopefully not, but possibly Drew and Big E. Time will tell

For the most part its only Roman and Brock who draw, but they're also presented quite differently to almost all the other roster members. They're the invincible ones that overcome the others

choccy77

Oh yeah im not even talking about draws. I'm just talking about the people Vince will repeatedly go to for the main event scene rather than just experimenting with someone and then dropping them back into the middle like Kofi... And hopefully not, but possibly Drew and Big E. Time will tell

For the most part its only Roman and Brock who draw, but they're also presented quite differently to almost all the other roster members. They're the invincible ones that overcome the others
Very true

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
WWE are reliant on

I'd add Bayley and Drew to that list.

It's been evident for years now they're working towards a trimmed roster with a chore group of top guys that can all slide into the main event no question.

choccy77

I'd add Bayley and Drew to that list.

It's been evident for years now they're working towards a trimmed roster with a chore group of top guys that can all slide into the main event no question.
Yeah, left them out due to injury concerns and also, I'd argue Drew is still not I'd say top level, due to WWE booking of him, which is as always the biggest problem.

Ladron de redcafe

Bit late in watching but just catching up with some of the ‘Dark Side of the Ring’ episodes. Some pretty bad stuff in all of them.
Try watching the Benoit, Owen Hart, Steroid scandal, and Plane Ride from Hell episodes if you get a chance.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Have to say, I am pretty pumped for a Brock vs. Lashley match.

Feels like WWE have an open goal with this one... surely they can't mess this build up?

Bwuk

Half thought they’d keep Lashley - Lesnar to Mania.

Mania main events are hard to predict. I had thought they’d get the title on Orton somehow and do Riddle v Orton.

Ladron de redcafe

Half thought they’d keep Lashley - Lesnar to Mania.

Mania main events are hard to predict. I had thought they’d get the title on Orton somehow and do Riddle v Orton.
Is it a bigger match than Roman-Brock though? In my opinion, that's the match they have to go with and is what they've been building towards for months. Heyman will probably turn at the Rumble to set up Roman for his comeuppance at Mania.

Bwuk

Is it a bigger match than Roman-Brock though? In my opinion, that's the match they have to go with and is what they've been building towards for months. Heyman will probably turn at the Rumble to set up Roman for his comeuppance at Mania.
Probably not, but I doubt they’ll do champ vs champ at Mania.

Ekeke

Gonna watch some of NXT New Year's Evil before Wrestle Kingdom in case the wrestling isnt very good.

Have to say again I really like Carmello Hayes, one of the only guys who dont fit the new profile they want but he's a talent and doing well from what I gather from the couple of shows I've tuned in for. Meanwhile Strong is a good out and out wrestler so a few mins in and I'm enjoying this one.

Ekeke

Enjoyed the first couple of matches

The womens title was a very basic match although Gonzalez took a couple of falls to the outside of the ring that look like they might hurt. Some poor parts and the finish especially

Nico87

WWE now releasing backstage NXT 1.0 almuni including Regal and Road Dogg, Vince really does seem to have in for Triple H lately.

choccy77

So looks like as expected, had Roman v Brock happened,
WWE now releasing backstage NXT 1.0 almuni including Regal and Road Dogg, Vince really does seem to have in for Triple H lately.
Vince failed giving HHH a heart attack and survived, so this was his next step to get revenge on marrying his daughter.

The first time Vince has done a long storyline in decades.

Bwuk

Hard to believe Luchasaurus would be involved in a botch…

Ekeke

So is there meant to be some beef between Vince and Triple H or am I missing something?
HHH's NXT lost to AEW in the ratings all the time, Vince seems likes hes going scorched earth on all traces of it

Its actually Vince's best longterm storytelling in many years

Traub

HHH's NXT lost to AEW in the ratings all the time, Vince seems likes hes going scorched earth on all traces of it

Its actually Vince's best longterm storytelling in many years
But isn't NXT the breeding ground whilst it was AEW's main show? Maybe my analogy is wrong, but almost seems like cancelling Man United's reserve team because more people watch Spurs' games than the United reserves.

Ekeke

But isn't NXT the breeding ground whilst it was AEW's main show? Maybe my analogy is wrong, but almost seems like cancelling Man United's reserve team because more people watch Spurs' games than the United reserves.
No is the clear answer since Vince has completely got rid of them and changed what NXT is looking for. Also he's changed just about all the people that got promoted and managed to stick around on the main roster in these past few years. But the bigger evidence is how many guys went up and didnt do anything. And that several NXT talents didnt want to go to the main roster, they wanted to stay in NXT the whole time because they liked how they were used there.

NXT was a super indie taking people who had multiple years of experience wrestling around the world and Vince threw them into a war on national tv. They're the guys that AEW would be using if WWE didnt have them signed, as we can see now they've signed a bunch of them.

To be the breeding ground they'd have to be what the main show wanted and Vince has shown that isnt the case. Now the new NXT is what he wants, its the breeding ground showing the progress of incredibly green wrestlers but they're what Vince sees as a future main eventer at wrestlemania, tall guys. But this NXT isnt in a war with AEW going against their main show.

Last edited:

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
That Fenix injury looks shocking. Hopefully he’s back soon.

Also, for all the shit NXT 2.0 has received (a lot justified. I don’t like the set up of it) Bron Breakker (why the feck did they call him that) looks like a real star.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Mandy Rose is shit but I don't care.

Also, for all the shit NXT 2.0 has received (a lot justified. I don’t like the set up of it) Bron Breakker (why the feck did they call him that) looks like a real star.
So they own it. He can't go anywhere else with that name if he builds recognition off it.

paulscholes18

AEW have Britt Baker so NXT wanted a Bron Breakker. Would have made too much sense too call him Bron Steiner

Sylar

With Joe released again, maybe he will make aew this time?

I know he's 42 but should bring him for a few matches rather than a big run

Traub

No is the clear answer since Vince has completely got rid of them and changed what NXT is looking for. Also he's changed just about all the people that got promoted and managed to stick around on the main roster in these past few years. But the bigger evidence is how many guys went up and didnt do anything. And that several NXT talents didnt want to go to the main roster, they wanted to stay in NXT the whole time because they liked how they were used there.

NXT was a super indie taking people who had multiple years of experience wrestling around the world and Vince threw them into a war on national tv. They're the guys that AEW would be using if WWE didnt have them signed, as we can see now they've signed a bunch of them.

To be the breeding ground they'd have to be what the main show wanted and Vince has shown that isnt the case. Now the new NXT is what he wants, its the breeding ground showing the progress of incredibly green wrestlers but they're what Vince sees as a future main eventer at wrestlemania, tall guys. But this NXT isnt in a war with AEW going against their main show.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, makes sense. I haven’t followed pro wrestling since about 2002/2003, but I’m addicted to the something to wrestle podcast. Best podcast I’ve ever listened to.