Television Tho Prop Grops Throps

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
As for your second point, not sure where you're getting your figures from but the buys seem to have exceeded all expectations (>$1million in ticket sales and >$5million on PPV) so not sure why you think it won't happen again, especially with some of the bigger names who were side-lined (Punk, Danielson, Omega to name 3) back on the table.
Purely based on Tony Khan's word.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Was it weird? Someone was injured during the match so an audible was called. By most accounts it was supposed to end there anyway with Cole taking the rainmaker and Switchblade pinning him. The only difference is he didn't take the rainmaker which made it look odd in real time. In kayfabe surely it would've been weirder to not pin an obviously injured opponent. Was disappointing for sure but fits in with the character of Jay White as an opportunist heel.

As for your second point, not sure where you're getting your figures from but the buys seem to have exceeded all expectations (>$1million in ticket sales and >$5million on PPV) so not sure why you think it won't happen again, especially with some of the bigger names who were side-lined (Punk, Danielson, Omega to name 3) back on the table.
Purely based on Tony Khan's word.
It'll definitely be over $5 million - not sure why that's a surprise to anyone. Even with this being a poor build to a PPV, they were always going to do over 100,000 buys - AEW have such a loyal fan base that they could put anything out on PPV and it'll do over 100,000 buys everytime (especially whilst the output is good - it would take eithera long run of terrible shows to change that, or increasing the number of PPVs to like one or month or something).

cyberman

It'll definitely be over $5 million - not sure why that's a surprise to anyone. Even with this being a poor build to a PPV, they were always going to do over 100,000 buys - AEW have such a loyal fan base that they could put anything out on PPV and it'll do over 100,000 buys everytime (especially whilst the output is good - it would take a long run of terrible shows to change that).
Tony said 100k buys worldwide though. He seems to have just multiplied 100k by 50 for the American ppv when it’s a lot cheaper elsewhere. Whatever the number is, it’s not 100k by 50 and it takes weeks to get ppv numbers in any case.
Do we really think Tony is rounding down when he hyped these numbers?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Tony said 100k buys worldwide though. He seems to have just multiplied 100k by 50 for the American ppv when it’s a lot cheaper elsewhere. Whatever the number is, it’s not 100k by 50 and it takes weeks to get ppv numbers in any case.
Do we really think Tony is rounding down when he hyped these numbers?
Oh aye, he's definitely done that - I don't imagine it'll be that far off the actual number though - You'd imagine the vast majority of those buys will be American anyway.

My guess is it'll be around the 125k mark worldwide.

Sylar

Yeah I think that's a fair criticism. Cody used to do it far too much as well imo. Certainly wasn't needed with Blood & Guts happening in the same week.

Regards your second highlighted point the president of NJPW has already said he'd love to do the next one in Japan.

Re-watched a few of the matches again last night. Really was a great PPV. Genuinely thought Dax was a goner in the tag title match as well so that was superbly worked. Surely they'll end up with the AEW title as well to complete the set.

Oh and I went down a wrestling rabbit hole on Youtube the other day and saw that All Out 2019 was on there for free. Kenny v Pac is great as is the Bucks v Lucha Bros, Jericho v Hangman was better than I remember (damn Hangman works stiff) and I'd never actually seen that cracker barrel match before...

Another one in Japan makes sense. Interested to see how their partnership goes forward, seeing as it seemed okada wasn't even set until a week before

Next time will defo be much better for build and all. Will take some effort to top this as a ppv for quality of matches and crowd too

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Another one in Japan makes sense. Interested to see how their partnership goes forward, seeing as it seemed okada wasn't even set until a week before

Next time will defo be much better for build and all. Will take some effort to top this as a ppv for quality of matches and crowd too
Yeah I think the crowd is so important to the feel of a great wrestling ppv. They won't get that in Japan as it's a totally different culture. Hopefully they can come to an agreement with talent trading and work it out so that it benefits all parties. Danielson has said that the G1 is on his bucket list but it looks like he's missed that this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the Wrestle Kingdom card though.

Sylar

Yeah I think the crowd is so important to the feel of a great wrestling ppv. They won't get that in Japan as it's a totally different culture. Hopefully they can come to an agreement with talent trading and work it out so that it benefits all parties. Danielson has said that the G1 is on his bucket list but it looks like he's missed that this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the Wrestle Kingdom card though.
I remember reading some conspiracies about people pulling out (like BD). But its a shame cos you know he wants to work with the NJPW guys. And BD is one that wont care about the wins / losses as weve seen.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I remember reading some conspiracies about people pulling out (like BD). But its a shame cos you know he wants to work with the NJPW guys. And BD is one that wont care about the wins / losses as weve seen.
Yeah that was (and is) a ridiculous suggestion. There were actually people pissed off that they couldn't be on the show. Lucha Bros and Andrade for instance due to CMLL being dicks.

Imagine even thinking that :houllier: :lol:

Minkaro

Is it just me who doesn’t actually care all that much about build?

I used to stream NJPW ppvs, absolutely no idea what anyone was saying, no idea why the matches were happening. All I knew was that these two people don’t like each other for some reason, and they’re going to do some very good wrestling, and I always had a great time.

Sure, having the context and the build might have added to the experience, but not having it didn’t take away.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I'm all for him eliminating a returning Cody Rhodes last in the Rumble before being the man to dethrone Roman. That would be peak Sports Entertainment.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
:lol:

Edit - What pushed him over the line? Is there somewhere on the caf to find out why someone was banned? Been here so long and never looked into this.
He made an overly negative post related to United, which got him too many warning points and, thus, got him banned. I can still see his profile page, but I can't tag him or search for his posts in the forum.

Sylar

Yeah that was (and is) a ridiculous suggestion. There were actually people pissed off that they couldn't be on the show. Lucha Bros and Andrade for instance due to CMLL being dicks.

Imagine even thinking that :houllier: :lol:
Will be interesting to see if they are able to perform in future especially when contracts come around

Is it just me who doesn’t actually care all that much about build?

I used to stream NJPW ppvs, absolutely no idea what anyone was saying, no idea why the matches were happening. All I knew was that these two people don’t like each other for some reason, and they’re going to do some very good wrestling, and I always had a great time.

Sure, having the context and the build might have added to the experience, but not having it didn’t take away.
That's fair. I think build can make you more invested when it comes to people you don't know

Will be interesting to see how they do this in the future

Ekeke

The buildup is to get more people watching/paying attention. The more hardcore fans and people who have watched NJPW know who they are, but the same people who didnt know who the wrestlers from AEW when it first launched are the same people who wouldnt have known the NJPW wrestlers before Forbidden Door. And as always the casuals make up the majority of your potential viewers.

It doesnt matter so much when it comes to the story inside the ring because NJPW is 90% of the story being told inside the ring. So they're going to get that job done. So it probably doesnt detract too much from how much someone enjoys watching the show once they have decided to do so, because it was great match after great match

Sylar

Enjoyed dynamite .. again so far. Got the main event left. They've done a great job with Jade given how inexperienced she is
There are way too many titles too, think roh needs its own TV time slot soon

Christian is great as a heel. One of the best promos now on the roster. Simple but great

Also glad they got the commentary to mainly taz and Excalibur with Tony s doing majority and JR just one match or half way (hopefully that lasts)
The buildup is to get more people watching/paying attention. The more hardcore fans and people who have watched NJPW know who they are, but the same people who didnt know who the wrestlers from AEW when it first launched are the same people who wouldnt have known the NJPW wrestlers before Forbidden Door. And as always the casuals make up the majority of your potential viewers.

It doesnt matter so much when it comes to the story inside the ring because NJPW is 90% of the story being told inside the ring. So they're going to get that job done. So it probably doesnt detract too much from how much someone enjoys watching the show once they have decided to do so, because it was great match after great match
Yep
Think the show overall was a success in and out the ring despite a lot of names missing or withdrawing
It just means potential for a better second show

And with the partnership continuing like on rampage we will see more of these wrestlers here and there (hopefully with video packages highlighting who they are rather than relying on Excalibur)

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
He made thousands of overly negative posts related to United, which got him too many warning points and, thus, got him banned. I can still see his profile page, but I can't tag him or search for his posts in the forum.
Slight amendment

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Didn't really think much of Blood and Guts tbh.

Was too long, nobody did anything really cool with the war games dual ring set up and the push from the top of the cage now is well over played. You're never going to top the original Foley spot (nor should anyone sane ever attempt to) so why bother.

They also overhyped the 'violence' aspect of it and yet all the chair shots etc were pathetic. Kingston coming in with that Singapore cane was genuinely meme-worthy. Comically bad :lol:

cyberman

Was too long, nobody did anything really cool with the war games dual ring set up and the push from the top of the cage now is well over played. You're never going to top the original Foley spot (nor should anyone sane ever attempt to) so why bother.

They also overhyped the 'violence' aspect of it and yet all the chair shots etc were pathetic. Kingston coming in with that Singapore cane was genuinely meme-worthy. Comically bad :lol:
By all accounts it was better than how it came across on tv. Apparently the cameras missed so much

MUW4Eva

Yeah Sammy jumping off of the cage, as he was hardly thrown, was incredibly poor, there really is no point to people trying to top Foley, it can't and shouldn't be attempted.

AEW just has far too many belts, and trying to pass off Mox as the Champion is cringeworthy, when he isn't anything of the sort.
He is the number one contender, and that is all he is, so Black & him are fighting over who is the number one contender to Punk's title, nothing more than that.

Sylar

AEW just has far too many belts, and trying to pass off Mox as the Champion is cringeworthy, when he isn't anything of the sort.
He is the number one contender, and that is all he is, so Black & him are fighting over who is the number one contender to Punk's title, nothing more than that.
They say he's the interim champ and the whoever is holding the interim title will face punk when punk returns
You're looking way too much into this. I don't see why it's cringeworthy ?

MUW4Eva

They say he's the interim champ and the whoever is holding the interim title will face punk when punk returns
You're looking way too much into this. I don't see why it's cringeworthy ?
So he is the number one contender for Punks title, nothing more than that, I fail to see why he needs a title to say that...

It is a bit like whomever wins the briefcase tonight, they can face the Champion whenever they want, but they are not called a Champion.

Sylar

So he is the number one contender for Punks title, nothing more than that, I fail to see why he needs a title to say that...

It is a bit like whomever wins the briefcase tonight, they can face the Champion whenever they want, but they are not called a Champion.
The current champion isn't there and I'm not sure they know how long for
This way you still got a title defence if a ppv comes along in the mean time. Plus nobody defender number one contendership. This way you have matches having meaning rather than Moxley just waiting around

I know there's an argument to strip punk but why when you have the option of this ?

cyberman

This way you still got a title defence if a ppv comes along in the mean time. Plus nobody defender number one contendership. This way you have matches having meaning rather than Moxley just waiting around

I know there's an argument to strip punk but why when you have the option of this ?
Isn’t that reason to strip and have him be the de facto champion when he comes back? Only takes one angle where Mox says he doesn’t feel like the real champion until he defeats Punk.
it’s not news to hate interim champions, everybody hates them outside of wrestling as well

Sylar

Isn’t that reason to strip and have him be the de facto champion when he comes back? Only takes one angle where Mox says he doesn’t feel like the real champion until he defeats Punk.
it’s not news to hate interim champions, everybody hates them outside of wrestling as well
It's wrestling so the rules can be bent. I also don't think it's news to hate it
At the same time it's not news that some people don't mind. I think it's a non issue. I get that somebody might not like it but then for me it should be a one and done thing or complaint. nothing has changed in terms of presentation

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Ínterim titles are extremely annoying in real sports, but in certain situations, they are hard to avoid.

Interim titles in a fake sport are a ridiculous concept. It’s literally all about presentation and story, so why would you choose to run with your current main guy as “not really champion”

It’s a ridiculous concept and I think AEW will run into serious problems in the future with Khan trying to book.

They already brought in a lot of guys from WWE and haven’t really used anyone properly, many getting lost In the shuffle, but the guy with the money has an ego and feels he needs to be running things.

Ekeke

Liv's timebomb off the Ladder :eek: Hiromu would be proud. Shes going to be a great babyface when they give her a proper push, she can work and she's well liked

Raquelle and Asuka had some nice moments, would be interested to see them have a long singles match together and go all out.

Just seen the replay come up in the match later with Shotzi... This is why technique comes first. Its something she needs to work on for everyone's safety. Her own and her opponents. Hope she's alright because thats a nasty whack, and several of the women took some ladder bumps. I've never taken a ladder bump so I still scrunch my face when I see people landing on them, sure looks like it'd hurt.

Edit - Seen the end of the match now. Happy ;) Lots of respect for those women who made it a pretty good match with exciting moments with their bodies on the line

Last edited:

MUW4Eva

If you don't know how long your Champion is out for, then strip him/her of said title, it is pointless having them hold a title if they are going to be out for months on end.

The fact is Mox isn't a Champion, he is the number one contender, nothing more than that, he isn't a two time Champion.

They have made him a joke, a laughing stock making him play pretend Champion like this, it is an embarrassing situation for him to be in.

Andersons Dietician

Liv's timebomb off the Ladder :eek: Hiromu would be proud. Shes going to be a great babyface when they give her a proper push, she can work and she's well liked

Raquelle and Asuka had some nice moments, would be interested to see them have a long singles match together and go all out.

Just seen the replay come up in the match later with Shotzi... This is why technique comes first. Its something she needs to work on for everyone's safety. Her own and her opponents. Hope she's alright because thats a nasty whack, and several of the women took some ladder bumps. I've never taken a ladder bump so I still scrunch my face when I see people landing on them, sure looks like it'd hurt.

Edit - Seen the end of the match now. Happy ;) Lots of respect for those women who made it a pretty good match with exciting moments with their bodies on the line
I haven’t watched wrestling in months but I’ve seen bits and bobs of Livs improvement and the hard work she must be putting in. I saw a clip of the power bomb to Lacey off the ladder and I knew Liv was fearless after her cage dive at elimination chamber but jumping over Raquel from the other side of the ladder head first hoping you can 1 grab Lacey to rotate yourself, and that Lacey is strong enough to hold and positioned right so you land feet first. She’s just fearless and if she keeps improving at the rate she is she’ll be a star if she’s not already.

props to Lacey as well for taking that powerbomb, no delay in it or adjusting. Just had full faith that Liv would put her down right.

MUW4Eva

I haven’t watched wrestling in months but I’ve seen bits and bobs of Livs improvement and the hard work she must be putting in. I saw a clip of the power bomb to Lacey off the ladder and I knew Liv was fearless after her cage dive at elimination chamber but jumping over Raquel from the other side of the ladder head first hoping you can 1 grab Lacey to rotate yourself, and that Lacey is strong enough to hold and positioned right so you land feet first. She’s just fearless and if she keeps improving at the rate she is she’ll be a star if she’s not already.

props to Lacey as well for taking that powerbomb, no delay in it or adjusting. Just had full faith that Liv would put her down right.
Liv has improved sooo much, she is fully deserving of this mega push, she is now one of the very best women in the whole industry.
I admire her sooo much, she deserves sooo much respect, she has definitely put in the hard yards, to deserve to be where she currently is right now.

I hope that she can have a long reign with the title.