Television Tho Prop Grops Throps

Sylar

The four pillars match was excellent. Fantastic and creative. It actually got the crowd into it

Ekeke

Four Pillars was indie move spam, didnt like it other than the finish

Anarchy in the Arena was a true, unmissable spectacle. Those nutters

Sylar

Anarchy was fantastic for what it was.
The last two matches made the show

Ekeke

Anarchy was fantastic for what it was.
The last two matches made the show
For me Pillars lacked a story other than everyone hating MJF. Everyone just did every move they knew and none of them meant anything. Again I liked the finish. But other than MJF all these guys looked 2 classes below the guys in the Anarchy match and none of them would have looked out of place on 205 live.

Sylar

For me Pillars lacked a story other than everyone hating MJF. Everyone just did every move they knew and none of them meant anything. Again I liked the finish. But other than MJF all these guys looked 2 classes below the guys in the Anarchy match and none of them would have looked out of place on 205 live.
Tbh the build for the pillars match wasnt great.
And you can't really tell great stories in three way and four way matches.

Given how dead the crowd were for most of the show, the match was perfect especially with placement.

The anarchy match was completely different and for what it was meant to be, was great.
I was happy with the second half of the ppv and I was tempted after the first half to not continue it live

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Four Pillars was indie move spam, didnt like it other than the finish

Anarchy in the Arena was a true, unmissable spectacle. Those nutters
Other way round for me. Thought the pillars match was great but the main event looked like it was edited by 5 teenagers high on monster energy drinks. Spots were getting missed left, right and centre.

Last edited:

The Hilton

The Bloodline stuff gets great reactions, but I don't get why Jimmy and Jay basically swapped attitudes, with the former now being the rebel and the latter being the loyal one. Maybe I missed a promo at some point but it seems a bit just because.

DoN was a fun PPV, thought the 4 way was great, anarchy was mental, and of course the long running feud of cyberman vs AEW is bubbling along nicely, with another round of obvious nonsense rumours being touted as fact.

Ekeke

Other way round for me. Thought the pillars match was great but the main event looked like it was edited by 5 teenagers high on monster energy drinks. Spots were getting missed left, right and centre.

Both MJF and Bryan Danielson in the scrum talking about how character/story and the basics are more important than "spots" or more importantly cardio matches where you just go from move to move, taking turns spotfests like 3 of the pillars brought to the match. There are people who just want to watch lots of acrobatics and they might even be the vocal majority on the internet, but it doesnt translate to tv ratings and doesnt work with all crowds/locations.

This is why they're stars and the other 3 pillars in the MJF match could be swapped for tens of mexican wrestlers who do the same thing as high flyers just flying about. Its funny because The Young Bucks used to get slated for just doing moves but in NJPW at least, they did far more of the basics and character work as well as the spots, than Jungle Boy, Sammy and Darby

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Both MJF and Bryan Danielson in the scrum talking about how character/story and the basics are more important than "spots" or more importantly cardio matches where you just go from move to move, taking turns spotfests like 3 of the pillars brought to the match. There are people who just want to watch lots of acrobatics and they might even be the vocal majority on the internet, but it doesnt translate to tv ratings and doesnt work with all crowds/locations.

This is why they're stars and the other 3 pillars in the MJF match could be swapped for tens of mexican wrestlers who do the same thing as high flyers just flying about. Its funny because The Young Bucks used to get slated for just doing moves but in NJPW at least, they did far more of the basics and character work as well as the spots, than Jungle Boy, Sammy and Darby
Not sure what any of that has got to do with my comment. I was specifically saying that the camera's couldn't keep up with all the action in the last match and kept missing stuff. It wasn't an observation about the make up of a wrestling match.

I didn't think that the pillars match was excessively 'spotty' for AEW which is in itself excessively spotty anyway.

Castia

Cant believe I watched a super kick explode

Daft shit like that really puts me off AEW

Sylar

Not sure what any of that has got to do with my comment. I was specifically saying that the camera's couldn't keep up with all the action in the last match and kept missing stuff. It wasn't an observation about the make up of a wrestling match.

I didn't think that the pillars match was excessively 'spotty' for AEW which is in itself excessively spotty anyway.
Yep, and given how crappy the crowd seemed, that four way was what it needed to be. You can't really tell much of a wrestling story in a fourway or triple threat or matches like that without it being repetitive.

The final match was good for its purpose (which probably have meant more if they weren't so excessive with blood and violence on random dynamites and rampages in random matches)

The Hilton

Yep, and given how crappy the crowd seemed, that four way was what it needed to be. You can't really tell much of a wrestling story in a fourway or triple threat or matches like that without it being repetitive.

The final match was good for its purpose (which probably have meant more if they weren't so excessive with blood and violence on random dynamites and rampages in random matches)
Yeah I'm confused by the argument, as to me the 4 way was more storied than the anarchy match - the former had the Darby/MJF headlock takeover stuff, Jack Perry unable to do what it takes, and the high spots somewhat made sense for the 3 pretenders trying to show they belonged more than the others.

Ekeke is right that none of them are near MJFs level, but that's more because they lack character and promo ability.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Yeah I'm confused by the argument, as to me the 4 way was more storied than the anarchy match - the former had the Darby/MJF headlock takeover stuff, Jack Perry unable to do what it takes, and the high spots somewhat made sense for the 3 pretenders trying to show they belonged more than the others.

Ekeke is right that none of them are near MJFs level, but that's more because they lack character and promo ability.
I think Darby is more so than the other two. Despite weighing about as much as my left leg he oozes charisma and is always a great foil to a monster heel. Never seen the fuss about Jungle Boy.

Sylar

I think Darby is more so than the other two. Despite weighing about as much as my left leg he oozes charisma and is always a great foil to a monster heel. Never seen the fuss about Jungle Boy.
Yeah id say Darby has been really good especially his promos. It's got a unique element to it which feels real

Obviously mjf is ahead of most.
I'd then say Darby then Sammy then jungle boy at the bottom.

Also liked them all going giving their mentors move especially playing into the promo between mjf and Darby and sting

The Hilton

Yeah id say Darby has been really good especially his promos. It's got a unique element to it which feels real

Obviously mjf is ahead of most.
I'd then say Darby then Sammy then jungle boy at the bottom.

Also liked them all going giving their mentors move especially playing into the promo between mjf and Darby and sting
Yeah I agree, I've mentioned before that Darby is ahead of Jack and Sammy, but I think maybe his promos were dragged down by the other two during the build up to the four way as it wasn't his best stuff.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
That was a really fun Dynamite. Ridiculous heat from the San Diego crowd for Don Callis and Takeshita. The pop for Ibushi is gonna be something else. Don't waste it on a lame crowd.

Also the best segment Jay White has been involved in so far. Him and Juice as a double act is starting to really grow on me.

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I think juice is more entertaining than jay white :nervous:
He does make me laugh. He's got an odd face, kind of like a cabbage patch doll.

Anyway Omega v Osprey 2 & Danielson v Okada look likely to headline Forbidden Door 2. :drool:

Please please please don't get injured anyone.

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Anyway Omega v Osprey 2 & Danielson v Okada look likely to headline Forbidden Door 2. :drool:

In a dream world they run it back for all in. Not gonna happen though.

Sylar

FD2 is gonna be great but just realised it's 3 weeks away. They gotta build and build the next three aew shows because there's hardly been a mention of it. Last year's build was lackluster despite some really good matches.
The matches announced so far are great and deserve some awesome build (though we have the previous match already done this year for one of them)

Sylar

Btw the bloodline stuff is excellent. Roman has helped elevate a lot of people during this

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Some brutal stuff in this promo here:

Isn't calling someone a "virgin golum" slightly redundant!?

I actually thought Adam Cole did a better job then MJF... probably just me but, whilst you can never question MJF's delivery, his material sometimes just makes it sound like he went on twitter and did some troll research... the most interesting part of his promo was the beginning when he talked about how he looked up to Adam Cole, 'cos it was personal to him.

Plus that and the WWE references, which I'm never a fan of, and yeah, not really my cup of tea - though the crowd loved it so hey-ho, but yeah, give me last weeks Don Callis promo anyday

Last edited:

Sylar

I actually thought Adam Cole did a better job then MJF... probably just me but, whilst you can never question MJF's delivery, his material sometimes just makes it sound like he went on twitter and did some troll research... the most interesting part of his promo was the beginning when he talked about how he looked up to Adam Cole, 'cos it was personal to him.

Plus that and the WWE references, which I'm never a fan of, and yeah, not really my cup of tea - though the crowd loved it so hey-ho, but yeah, give me last weeks Don Callis promo anyday
I agree with you. I've said this about mjf before , and was told by somebody on here that I don't understand heels because I haven't been in the ring or something :lol:

Mjf material is quite same same , but there are times it's really really good and or course, his delivery is fantastic as he's a great talker.
At least mjf didnt mention he's leaving

I'm really interested in the forbidden door stuff though. Wish they had more than two weeks to build it though

Last edited:

cyberman

That’s a few times he’s tried to make it personal with the “I looked up to you”nonsense to try and level out the Reddit on the mic routine.
Only wrestling on ppv and on full moons isn’t working anymore. He needs matches and to progress stories through those matches rather than having this burden every feud. Even the Bloodline aren’t this talk heavy

Sylar

Tbf the talking stuff is normally the best viewed segments, and most intriguing

cyberman

Tbf the talking stuff is normally the best viewed segments, and most intriguing
That’s because it’s the only way to see him on tv.
Plus I’ve been keeping track of the quarters and they aren’t that highly viewed. Most times they’re losing viewers or not bringing big numbers back from a losing segment prior.
Hopefully he’s off to Collision, I get the feeling that will be more wrestling focused and we get to see the all round MJF on display

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
MJF's shtick got old a long time ago.

His delivery is great, he's a brilliant motormouth but you've heard one of his promos, you've heard them all.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

They lay on far too heavy with the WWE references/cheap WWE digs in general.

Punk was obviously the worst for it but at least with him there was an actual history to and reason for it, so it worked with his character.

I do enjoy the "wrestling" on AEW a lot more, but they've lost their way with the story telling/character building side, which is just as big a part of it. Thought that was why the four pillars stuff didn't really work. It was a good idea but how much character development have Darby, Jungle Boy or Sammy had over the past year? Probably why they all had to resort to just whining about how hard they've worked in their promos, and why the match was just a bunch of spots with no story to it ( although I still thought it was ok tbh)

Compared to Sami, Dominic, Theory etc. in WWE. And I'm not a big fan of how WWE do things but they do recognise that they have to build a character around the wrestler.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
That’s because it’s the only way to see him on tv.
Plus I’ve been keeping track of the quarters and they aren’t that highly viewed. Most times they’re losing viewers or not bringing big numbers back from a losing segment prior.
Hopefully he’s off to Collision, I get the feeling that will be more wrestling focused and we get to see the all round MJF on display
:lol: Was wondering when you'd show up in here again. You keep on tracking those quarters bud. Stellar work.

cyberman

:lol: Was wondering when you'd show up in here again. You keep on tracking those quarters bud. Stellar work.
You ok? What have I said that’s wrong there? Nice to pick me out amongst the 4/5 posts broadly agreeing with each other.
Bud.
You keep wondering about me and keeping track of my posts there. Stellar work

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
You ok? What have I said that’s wrong there? Nice to pick me out amongst the 4/5 posts broadly agreeing with each other.
Bud.
You keep wondering about me and keeping track of my posts there. Stellar work
Because unlike you most other people in here seem mature enough to offer up criticism and praise in equal measure which makes their opinion worth something.

You only ever show up in here to shit on AEW. I honestly don't know how you spare the time to hate watch something every week.