The purpose of keeping Darmian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josep Dowling

Not sure there is a specific thread on this but I find this one of the strangest situations.

We currently have three right backs and heavily linked with buying another. Young is clearly first choice, Dalot is then rotating with him. And then there’s Darmian.

He’s barely played any minutes for us. Last season he played 8 games, the season before that it was 17 games. I actually think he isn’t that bad of a player. Like many players in our team they never get a run of games and then are expected to be up to match fitness. He hadn’t played for months and was then picked to play against Manchester City of all teams. What did Solskjaer expect to happen? That appeared to be his final game for us, or is it?

He’s asked to leave last summer. I would expect he’s not a high earner, 29 years old. His value can be no more than £10m now, surely an Italian club would take a punt.

In the past we have been happy to sell at massive losses but for some reason we just won’t let Darmian go. Why? Can anyone think of a reason why we won’t sell him?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Not sure there is a specific thread on this but I find this one of the strangest situations.

We currently have three right backs and heavily linked with buying another. Young is clearly first choice, Dalot is then rotating with him. And then there’s Darmian.

He’s barely played any minutes for us. Last season he played 8 games, the season before that it was 17 games. I actually think he isn’t that bad of a player. Like many players in our team they never get a run of games and then are expected to be up to match fitness. He hadn’t played for months and was then picked to play against Manchester City of all teams. What did Solskjaer expect to happen? That appeared to be his final game for us, or is it?

He’s asked to leave last summer. I would expect he’s not a high earner, 29 years old. His value can be no more than £10m now, surely an Italian club would take a punt.

In the past we have been happy to sell at massive losses but for some reason we just won’t let Darmian go. Why? Can anyone think of a reason why we won’t sell him?
The only reason I can think of is the same reason why Mata maybe got an extension - because none of our targets want to join us this summer and the only ones we could get are of the same level as what we already have.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Because Italian teams are broke and we held out for more money.

The only reason I can think of is the same reason why Mata maybe got an extension - because none of our targets want to join us this summer and the only ones we could get are of the same level as what we already have.
At least Mata gets games, and can have an impact at times. Darmain’s an afterthought. He’s pretty much irrelevant.

He played quite well as a third CB in one match last season, other than that he didn’t do anything.

Whilst not a high earner, I’ve no doubt he won’t get a better contract elsewhere, and by all accounts he’s a good professional (which should of course be the minimum for any pro footballer - but clearly is not).

He’s not needed, he’s very poor going forward, he’s not really suited to the PL - back to Italy is a no-brainer. We must be asking too much for him, but quite frankly I’d let him go for £5m. He’s nowhere near our worst defender, that’s Bailly or Rojo - but we wouldn’t notice at all if he left.

clarkydaz

Feels like the board have kept him hostage feel sorry for the guy, wasted his prime years here doing nothing

AshRK

We can make threads for most of the players, Purpose of keeping Jones
Purpose of keeping Young
Purpose of keeping rojo
Purpose of keeping Mata
Purpose of keeping lee grant
Purpose of keeping smalling
Purpose of keeping Lingard

And we would not have answer for any of them

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Purpose of keeping Jones
Purpose of keeping Young
Purpose of keeping Rojo
Purpose of keeping Mata
All part of the Grand Rebuilding project...!!

Hawks2008

Purpose of keeping Young
Purpose of keeping rojo
Purpose of keeping Mata

This, club is happy to sell decent players but hold on to absolute shit.

In Rainbows

The players who have minimal squad roles should be replaced by our youth players. That way we help out our wage bill. We have Laird and O'Connor who can take Darmian's spot. And that's before the rumored RB is even bought.

LVG liked a shorter squad with youth players filling in for depth. Right now we're pretty bloated thanks to Woodward, and hopefully not Ole.

Sir Scott McToMinay

He’s a fantastic fella, so we don’t want to say goodbyes, he’ll get a good job here when he retires, the U13’s coach for a start, who knows, maybe he’ll end up managing us one day.

redshaw

Why did we buy Fred, Why haven't we sold Darmian are two of life's mysteries. Perhaps Ole says it best "we're Manchester United".

Darmian has spent his last good years here doing nothing. Should've gone after LVG or after Jose's first season, it was clear we bought a cart horse and would barely play. Perhaps he's not that bothered coupled with wages no-one on earth would pay. It would've taken LVG managing a fairly rich club after us to buy him but he retired sadly.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Its a weird one, should've been shifted 18 months ago.

Is he on massive wages or something?

Andersonson

Second(?) manager not using him, he was behind Young, Dalot and Valencia.

Who in serie a would want him? And 45k pr week is massive if you're Chievo

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Glorified training cone

Ibi Dreams

It is weird that he hasn't played more. Defensively he's our best option in that position, and it's not like Young really tears things up offensively as a right back either.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Purpose of keeping Young
Purpose of keeping rojo
Purpose of keeping Mata

Actually there is. Its the club's fear of not being able to replace them. Our transfer system is broken. We can make 4-5 signings at max per window and that's pushing it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When we make soundbites of trimming the squad but can't even shift Darmian it really does say it all.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There aren't many clubs who want him or pay him decent money to sign him, that's why we are left with him. Maybe we should have lowered our demands as we barely used the player last season.

redpatron

If we get another RB, he'll be gone. Right now, he's like a terrible insurance policy
It’s no different than last year, Luke Shaw was supposed to be moved in the summer and Valencia looked past it. Dalot wasn’t ready and we were gambling on young playing 50 games. Jose made a decent decision because he did cover some games we needed him for mid season.

This year it’s the same thing we dont have fourth option for fullback until we sign somebody. Young is finished, Dalot isn’t ready, and Shaw can’t handle playing 50 games as he started to slowdown in the end of the year.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It’s no different than last year, Luke Shaw was supposed to be moved in the summer and Valencia looked past it. Dalot wasn’t ready and we were gambling on young playing 50 games. Jose made a decent decision because he did cover some games we needed him for mid season.

This year it’s the same thing we dont have fourth option for fullback until we sign somebody. Young is finished, Dalot isn’t ready, and Shaw can’t handle playing 50 games as he started to slowdown in the end of the year.
It's crazy to me that we find ourselves in a similar situation.

Kag

Cave dwellers criticise the board when they sell for pittance.

Cave dwellers criticise the board when they are determined to receive acceptable fees for players.

Holding him hostage? Away and do one.

Kostov

The same reason we are keeping the likes of Mata, Young, Lingard, Rojo and Jones. Nobody in world football will give them the salary they are getting here and nobody is willing to pay the transfer fee our incompetent CEO is asking. I mean Darmian is probably on 60-70k a week, if he gets a move to a place he likes then why not, otherwise he will stay and pocket enormous salary. They are hardly winners driven by winning trophies are they?

Kostov

Cave dwellers criticise the board when they sell for pittance.

Cave dwellers criticise the board when they are determined to receive acceptable fees for players.

Holding him hostage? Away and do one.
Who would criticize the board for selling useless incompetent players like Darmian? They should swap him for a bag of crisps.

Kag

Who would criticize the board for selling useless incompetent players like Darmian? They should swap him for a bag of crisps.
All of the people that lose their minds every time Chelsea sell a shit youth player and get what is considered to be a good fee.

The club has received stick for this for years, in spite of making its money back on the likes of Schneiderlin and Blind, something it never did under David Gill.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Wait until you extend his contract til 2024 with an option of a further year, that will obviously be triggered when the time comes.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
All of the people that lose their minds every time Chelsea sell a shit youth player and get what is considered to be a good fee.

The club has received stick for this for years, in spite of making its money back on the likes of Schneiderlin and Blind, something it never did under David Gill.
I think you cannot make a general sweep like that. When the club makes a good decision business and football wise, it'll get praised. Each case is different

Kag

I think you cannot make a general sweep like that. When the club makes a good decision business and football wise, it'll get praised. Each case is different
The club is seldom praised.

It’s a fact that the club has previously received criticism for selling players for less than their market value. This goes all the way back to Beckham (even though I agree on this one).

Status
Not open for further replies.