The purpose of keeping Darmian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fosu-Mens

But that only makes sense if we actually used him or required him. We have Young and Dalot already. AWB is heavily linked with us. Why do we need 4 RBs on the books? Just get rid, there are far worse players being bought and sold for decent money. I've never seen Solanke have a good game yet Liverpool got £20m and he was earning well over £50k a week at Liverpool. Making the excuse we can't sell him because no one is interested doesn't wash with me.
While i wholeheartedly agree with you, i don't think the club sees it the same way based on how they operate.

Luke1995

Squad depth. A situation may arise where either of Young/Dalot/Shaw get injured and Darmian will be there to replace whoever.

stevoc

I thought he had no takers because Woodward wanted 15M or whatever that amount was. Surely we could sell him for 5M. Let the lad have a career, even if it is the Chinese league.
Unless of course, he does a Bale and would rather take the money.
Basically yeah, we priced him out of a move by valuing him at 2-3 times his actual worth.

In 2017 we wanted 20-25m he was worth 10-15, last year similar and the noises this year are the same no one wants to pay what the club value him at.

Why we don't just cut our losses and get him off the wage bill i will never know.

Full bodied red

Add me to the list of those who think he's a whole lot better better than he gets credit for on here.

Eight games, was it, last season and only losses to Citeh and Liverpool.

If we need a RW, then ffs buy one - don't expect a career defender to morph into one....

I genuinely hope he manages to get a move this summer - he deserves better.....

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We can make threads for most of the players, Purpose of keeping Jones
Purpose of keeping Young
Purpose of keeping rojo
Purpose of keeping Mata
Purpose of keeping lee grant
Purpose of keeping smalling
Purpose of keeping Lingard

And we would not have answer for any of them
All part of the Grand Rebuilding project...!!
Is it possible that Woodward has a master plan which is so cunning and devious, it will take us fans, the manager, the players and the rest of the league completely by surprise as we win the league title with this set of players?

AshRK

Is it possible that Woodward has a master plan which is so cunning and devious, it will take us fans, the manager, the players and the rest of the league completely by surprise as we win the league title with this set of players?
And then at the trophy presentation he shouts "F*CK YOU" at all of us and drops the mic.

el3mel

Supposed to be playing at a big club, play less than 10 matches a season, earns a good amount of salary per week without needing to put much effort to get it, still gets called for his national team.

Best life in the world. The very definition of "stealing a living at a club". Wish I become like him one day.

Lee565

Considering that we lost Herrera and we seem to be bit slow in recruiting this summer and no sign of him moving on, why not give him a go at defensive midfield during the pre-season if he's still with the squad?

KrasHammerhand

Supposed to be playing at a big club, play less than 10 matches a season, earns a good amount of salary per week without needing to put much effort to get it, still gets called for his national team.

Best life in the world. The very definition of "stealing a living at a club". Wish I become like him one day.
Think this is a really unfair characterization of him. I have never heard him complain. Ole just doesn’t rate him. He is good enough for his national team but can’t see the pitch for us when we put Young out there is depressing. I truly hope is we sign AWB, that Darmian can escape the purgatory he is in.

el3mel

Think this is a really unfair characterization of him. I have never heard him complain. Ole just doesn’t rate him. He is good enough for his national team but can’t see the pitch for us when we put Young out there is depressing. I truly hope is we sign AWB, that Darmian can escape the purgatory he is in.
Why would he complain? He's enjoying his salary per week without doing anything. Who won't like this, especially if you are an average player?

UnitedObsession99

We can make threads for most of the players,
Purpose of keeping lee grant
And we would not have answer for any of them
Your list was mostly fair, but the questions that constantly come up around Grant are bizarre. A 3rd choice goaly is basically someone that in most seasons will never get a game. They are the equivalent of an insurance company sending a player your way to cover the unlikely scenario of two goal keepers getting injured.

Yes i guess you could say a youth goalkeeper could get called up, but would be no where near as reliable.

Your best young reserve keepers need loans to develop, e.g. Henderson and Periera. Having them as a 3rd goalkeeper/ reserve level would simply be limiting their potential. Simply put we have goalkeepers best placed to go on loan to develop their game. At that stage you need a solution. Grant is that. Cheap and effective.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He's an Italian international and not that bad of a player. Problem is the only offers we have received have been very low. He's still young enough to put in a few good years for whoever gets him. Surely we should be able to get at least 15m for him...

RedDevil@84

He's an Italian international and not that bad of a player. Problem is the only offers we have received have been very low. He's still young enough to put in a few good years for whoever gets him. Surely we should be able to get at least 15m for him...
How does it matter what we get, when we are paying him wages just to sit on his a** all year? We could as well take a low ball offer and let him play wherever he can.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
How does it matter what we get, when we are paying him wages just to sit on his a** all year? We could as well take a low ball offer and let him play wherever he can.
I think it's a matter of principle. I feel for Darmian because he deserves to be playing and nobody wants to sit on the sidelines. But why is it that when we want to buy someone we have to pay head over heals to get a deal done, but when we want to sell we get low balled? Darmian is a full Italia international. He was in the Serie A team of the season 2 years in a row and named as the best player for his country just 5 years ago. Just because he isn't in our plans it doesn't mean we should just let him go for 5m. Surely if a club wants him bad enough they can pay at least 15m for him...

stevoc

Heres the thing though Young is better than him, thats why he's been playing ahead of Darmian under two managers in a row. Now Young isn't a top fullback or even a good one but he's the best we have had sadly.

Also being good enough for the Italian national team means nothing in relation to United. Plus he's barely played for Italy the last two years so he isn't really good enough for them either.

stevoc

This is the sort of thinking that has lead to him sitting in the stands for two years picking up a wage despite not being in the clubs plans.

I think it's a matter of principle. I feel for Darmian because he deserves to be playing and nobody wants to sit on the sidelines. But why is it that when we want to buy someone we have to pay head over heals to get a deal done, but when we want to sell we get low balled? Darmian is a full Italia international. He was in the Serie A team of the season 2 years in a row and named as the best player for his country just 5 years ago. Just because he isn't in our plans it doesn't mean we should just let him go for 5m. Surely if a club wants him bad enough they can pay at least 15m for him...
Obviously no club wants him badly enough, if no one values the player you are trying to sell as highly as you do 3 summers in a row. Then you have to lower your asking price, his value continues to spiral downward and at some point just getting him off the wage bill makes business sense.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Considering that we lost Herrera and we seem to be bit slow in recruiting this summer and no sign of him moving on, why not give him a go at defensive midfield during the pre-season if he's still with the squad?
Because he would be dreadful there I suppose.

haram

Really isn’t the best life in the world. He is already 29, he may only have another 5 years left and his time as a footballer is up. He is away from home and doesn’t even get to play.

Member 113277

It's truism that an asset is only worth what a buyer will pay in exchange. Darmian and Rojo are good examples of this principle.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Not sure I agree with anything in your post. I actually feel a bit sorry for him. He seems a decent chap and has largely seen the best years of his career drift by. Money isn't everything and he must regret coming here.

SCJY

I just got a notification of a new reply to this thread. Thanks RedCafé, it's only about 18 months too late. haha

lsd

The Oracle
I saw this thread and thought he was still here :lol:

AWB wasn’t a 50m upgrade on Darmian.
More like £60m upgrade! Darmian was poor. The only solace I have is that Clyne who was bought at the same time for Liverpool was equally as shit.

I still believe Rafael would be better than both!

snowkarl

AWB wasn’t a 50m upgrade on Darmian.
True. Somehow Darmian was actually better at both defending and attacking than AWB. Shocking purchase.

I wonder if Conte wants AWB? I know they got Hakimi for only 75% of what AWB cost, but he likes a rotation.

PitTon

I always have huge respect for him ( and Daley Blind) for their professional attitude.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
True. Somehow Darmian was actually better at both defending and attacking than AWB. Shocking purchase.

I wonder if Conte wants AWB? I know they got Hakimi for only 75% of what AWB cost, but he likes a rotation.
This is an insanely incorrect post.

acnumber9

More like £60m upgrade! Darmian was poor. The only solace I have is that Clyne who was bought at the same time for Liverpool was equally as shit.

I still believe Rafael would be better than both!
The guy who spent last season as third choice right back at Lyon and has now moved to Turkey? Doubtful.

Crashoutcassius

awb would be absolutely unreal in italy, might go down as a hall of fame defender

Status
Not open for further replies.