The Red Knights

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Died along with the whole Green and Gold campaign. Once we won a title and signed a few big names everyone was BFF's again.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Died along with the whole Green and Gold campaign. Once we won a title and signed a few big names everyone was BFF's again.
Can everyone try not to bite at this load of banana.

Lynk

It's true to a large degree, most of the fans who wore it couldn't give a shit as long as title and few star names were secured.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
It's true to a large degree, most of the fans who wore it couldn't give a shit as long as title and few star names were secured.
Think you'll actually find that most who DID care, got fed up with Drasdo and the way the campaign was going.

You're right in the sense there was a lot of bandwagon jumping with Greend & Gold... Ending with the jokes about Chicharito 14 new shirts draped in scarves. But the primary aim was to raise awareness and get the media involved, which it did brilliantly. It also improved the atmosphere incredibly in the second half of that season ...

Lynk

Think you'll actually find that most who DID care, got fed up with Drasdo and the way the campaign was going.

You're right in the sense there was a lot of bandwagon jumping with Greend & Gold... Ending with the jokes about Chicharito 14 new shirts draped in scarves. But the primary aim was to raise awareness and get the media involved, which it did brilliantly. It also improved the atmosphere incredibly in the second half of that season ...
I don't think shirt sales go into the Glazers pocket. Wasn't it a once off fee?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1005794.stm

Brophs

The One and Only
You cant buy whats not for sale I guess.
Basically. It would just be weird if they kept meeting up like some sort of clandestine council, plotting like a load of mad bastards. I'm sure they'll resurface if or when the club is made available for sale, when they might have some chance of doing something.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
They were never anywhere near having half enough of the dough required to even make a serious bid , just a publicity stunt me thinks.
This. The Glazers would happily sell if enough money was on offer. The problem is they weren't willing to offer as much and to meet fan demands (e.g. lower ticket prices) the value of the business would always be lower than for those who don't need to meet them.

It all boiled down to "can we create enough trouble that they sell it on the cheap?". That was always bound to fail spectacularly.

No one is ever going to buy the club off the Glazers as a business (unless they are in serious financial trouble elsewhere). Only a sheikh/oligarch sugar-daddy or a mighty fundraising effort from supporters would ever meet their demands. The opportunity for the latter is all but gone, and neither promise much of an improvement on the current situation.

Lynk

Same thing would happen if people stopped going to games, but it isn't going to happen.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
The continuing profits of Nike from the deal have a knock on effect on how much the club makes when renegoiating though. So shirt sales would still be very important to the club and damaging if people stopped buying them.

100% correct. It’s hilarious how some think buying Utd merchandise doesn’t aid the club at all.

Which basically meant so many twats wore the latest home shirt with their G&G scarf. Muppets!

Same thing would happen if people stopped going to games, but it isn't going to happen.
This is what I always say. The only way a proper impact can be made is stop attending games and arrange protests outside the ground during gametime.

This will get far more attention that G&G ever did

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I still wear my Green and Gold, every time I go Old Trafford there's less and less though. That campaign was relative to our performances on the pitch.

iczster

Lord Sugartits (and worst transfer muppet ever)
Well it's gone from this...

to this

The motto was "Green and Gold till the club is sold"
Hardly a fair comparison their my friend, a picture of the hardcore stretty end compared to tourists and day trippers in the south ;)

I know a lot of lads who simply refused to go to home games, gave up their season tickets. Some pay over the odds to go to as many away games as possible. Others fecked off to watch FCUoM.

Its fair to say its lost a little pace, it seemed to stem from the valuation the Glazers put on the club. You hardly even see the guys canvassing on SMB way much during match days these days either.

ciderman9000000

Hardly a fair comparison their my friend, a picture of the hardcore stretty end compared to tourists and day trippers in the south ;)

I know a lot of lads who simply refused to go to home games, gave up their season tickets. Some pay over the odds to go to as many away games as possible. Others fecked off to watch FCUoM.

Its fair to say its lost a little pace, it seemed to stem from the valuation the Glazers put on the club. You hardly even see the guys canvassing on SMB way much during match days these days either.
Tends to happen when you sprint blindly into a brick wall.

Lynk

Recent pic of the Stretty. Not a lot there either.

Will Absolute

The Knights never came close to offering the actual value of the club. Iirc they were trying to buy at 1B. At the present share price, the club is worth almost twice that.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Sounded to me like they were just trying to use the anti-Glazer sentiment to get the club cheaper than it's value and then probably flog it on!

iczster

The Knights never came close to offering the actual value of the club. Iirc they were trying to buy at 1B. At the present share price, the club is worth almost twice that.
Correct mate the 1.2B valuation (at the time) killed the entire movement off.

RK

I still wear my Green and Gold, every time I go Old Trafford there's less and less though. That campaign was relative to our performances on the pitch.
How so?

Let's say G&G was at it's peak in 09-10 at the AC Milan match (when Beckham put one on).

In the previous season, we'd won our third consecutive title and reached our second consecutive CL final. At the time of the Milan match, we were top of the league.

Unless I've misunderstood, and you meant that the campaign was positively correlated to our performances on the pitch, rather than the negative I have assumed. Either way your point doesn't make much sense though.

iczster

How so?

Let's say G&G was at it's peak in 09-10 at the AC Milan match (when Beckham put one on).

In the previous season, we'd won our third consecutive title and reached our second consecutive CL final. At the time of the Milan match, we were top of the league.

Unless I've misunderstood, and you meant that the campaign was positively correlated to our performances on the pitch, rather than the negative I have assumed. Either way your point doesn't make much sense though.
Your right RK, unfortunately (or fortunately) depending on which side of the fence your on. The G&G campaign coincided with a very successful time, even for our club. Three champions league finals in four years plus domestic honours.

If we had won absolutely feck all and not been a success on the pitch at the time, things may have been different.

Stan Jefferson

Its hard to generate genuine support for something like this when the clubs doing well and everyones happy, its the same anywhere.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Yeah that night we smashed Milan 4-0 was awful :(

No wonder everyone got angsty.

ravelston

Weren't they also planning to leave the debt in place? So the result would have been no improvement on the financial front and a bunch of meddling twats for SAF to deal with. Wonderful.

ciderman9000000

Weren't they also planning to leave the debt in place? So the result would have been no improvement on the financial front and a bunch of meddling twats for SAF to deal with. Wonderful.
Who knows what they were planning?

The deal was, the fans get the Red Knights the club, and only then would they reveal what they were going to do with it.

It was an attempted mug-off from start to finish. It failed miserably mind; very embarrassing for all involved.

The logic from the Knights seemed to be something like this:
  • The Glazers are making a lot of money from owning the club
  • We can't afford the club
  • We'll convince the fans that the Glazers are running the club into the ground
  • We'll then convince the fans that the best way to remedy this would be to themselves run the club into the ground
  • Once the club's fecked up then we might be able to afford it
  • With luck then we'll be making a lot of money from owning the club

Fortunately, though many were duped by this bullshit, the plan failed. It then turned out that, what a shock, the Glazers were not afterall the antichrists that the fans had been led to believe they were.

A good result.

ralphie88

They were never anywhere near having half enough of the dough required to even make a serious bid , just a publicity stunt me thinks.
Partially correct. The "Red Knights" (they weren't a static group, the term was given by the media to wealthy United fans willing to stump up cash to buy back the club and give it to the fans) didn't have anywhere near the Glazer valuation at the time. It's difficult to convince even United-supporting rich folk to hand over money on interest-free loans to allow the fans to buy back the club over a long period of time.

Will Absolute

Partially correct. The "Red Knights" (they weren't a static group, the term was given by the media to wealthy United fans willing to stump up cash to buy back the club and give it to the fans) didn't have anywhere near the Glazer valuation at the time. It's difficult to convince even United-supporting rich folk to hand over money on interest-free loans to allow the fans to buy back the club over a long period of time.
It's a pity the fan ownership option wasn't vigorously pursued 20/25 years ago. It'll never happen now.

ciderman9000000

They called themselves the Red Knights.

"In the coming weeks the Red Knights will continue to work with MUST and others to formulate our proposal and further statements will be issued in due course," said the statement from the Red Knights.
The Guardian

Also, MUST called them the Red Knights.

MUST, which has been campaigning among the wider fan base to support any Knights-led buyout, said in a statement released this afternoon: “Of course wearen’t able to respond directly to comments attributed to unnamed sources but what we can say is that the description of the progress of the Red Knight proposal in the press is not consistent with the view that we hold having being involved in direct ongoing discussions with the Red Knight group."
Sporting Intelligence

You may feel it is to your benefit in hindsight to distance yourself and those involved from this embarrassment, but the fact is, this wasn't just some general notion which became exaggerated by 'the media', there was actually a group of men calling themselves the Red Knights with MUST at their knees sucking their cocks every step of the way.

anver

Shart stop
They called themselves the Red Knights.

"In the coming weeks the Red Knights will continue to work with MUST and others to formulate our proposal and further statements will be issued in due course," said the statement from the Red Knights.
The Guardian

Also, MUST called them the Red Knights.

MUST, which has been campaigning among the wider fan base to support any Knights-led buyout, said in a statement released this afternoon: “Of course wearen’t able to respond directly to comments attributed to unnamed sources but what we can say is that the description of the progress of the Red Knight proposal in the press is not consistent with the view that we hold having being involved in direct ongoing discussions with the Red Knight group."
Sporting Intelligence

You may feel it is to your benefit in hindsight to distance yourself and those involved from this embarrassment, but the fact is, this wasn't just some general notion which became exaggerated by 'the media', there was actually a group of men calling themselves the Red Knights with MUST at their knees sucking their cocks every step of the way.
Is that how you got the dildo idea? :D

ciderman9000000

:lol: Duncan Dildo

My lawyers have advised me I'm within my rights to use the term in the public arena up to but not exceeding five times a month, but only if I make no direct reference to Duncan [surname removed for legal purposes] in the same sentence or string or sentences.