The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Been a while since I saw it. I've honestly not been able to watch that fight since it happened. There was a great little book called, "War, baby" written about the fight. I highly recommend it.

Jeez that was some fight. Benn was completely pummelled in the first couple of rounds and knocked out of the ring if I remember rightly? Not seen much about it but thought it was pretty unfair how McClellan’s family blamed Benn.

Such a shame how it turned out as it would have been a classic without the unfortunate ending.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Jeez that was some fight. Benn was completely pummelled in the first couple of rounds and knocked out of the ring if I remember rightly? Not seen much about it but thought it was pretty unfair how McClellan’s family blamed Benn.

Such a shame how it turned out as it would have been a classic without the unfortunate ending.
Speaking of the fight, that was an insanely talented middleweight class back then, wasn't it?

Inter Yer Nan

Speaking of the fight, that was an insanely talented middleweight class back then, wasn't it?
Yeah, there were some quality fighters around the middleweight and super middleweight divisions. Jones, Toney, Johnson, Nunn, McClellan, Jackson, Benn, Eubank etc; one of my favorites of that time (just a little before) was Mike McCallum. He had some good fights in England with Watson and Graham and sandwiched a win over Collins in Boston between those fights.

Oggmonster

This is a bit of a shame. Don't get me wrong he doesn't have to go in and fight the best but there's plenty of higher level heavyweights he could of fought and this just seems a bit of an anti climax from a really hyped fighter.

Inter Yer Nan

This is a bit of a shame. Don't get me wrong he doesn't have to go in and fight the best but there's plenty of higher level heavyweights he could of fought and this just seems a bit of an anti climax from a really hyped fighter.
He was originally signed to fight Takam, which would have been ok. I suppose it being his first fight and a year out of the ring and given his competition has been excellent it's forgivable.

Hard to get excited though which is a shame. He's one of my favorites.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Yeah, there were some quality fighters around the middleweight and super middleweight divisions. Jones, Toney, Johnson, Nunn, McClellan, Jackson, Benn, Eubank etc; one of my favorites of that time (just a little before) was Mike McCallum. He had some good fights in England with Watson and Graham and sandwiched a win over Collins in Boston between those fights.
My problem with Eubank was the way his promoter (Barry Hearn) skilfully managed to avoid nearly all of them for around 4 years.
Obviously Eubank was a class fighter but his record was padded to glory.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
  • Some nice fights coming up in remainder of the year. A slow start to 2019 but is now picking up pace.

My Top 5

Loma/Campbell Tomorrow
Spence/Porter 28 Sep
Canelo/Kovalev 02 Nov
Inoue/Donaire 07 Nov
Commey/Lopez 14 Dec

Other fighters I particularly like to watch are
GGG
Usyk
Briedis
Haney
Crawford
Buatsi
Efe Ajagba
Otha Jones III
Michael Hunter (undersized heavyweight but his skill can make him worth backing if a big price against an opponent who underestimates him).

Inter Yer Nan

My problem with Eubank was the way his promoter (Barry Hearn) skilfully managed to avoid nearly all of them for around 4 years.
Obviously Eubank was a class fighter but his record was padded to glory.
Yeah, he dined out on that Benn win for years. Some really listless performances and a few decisions that could have gone the other way. By his own admission he never wanted to fight Roy Jones and he wanted nothing to do with James Toney either. Benn was the opposite, he was up to fight anyone, came to America, took on McClellan, who was feared and that's why despite a KO loss (and robbery draw which he won) to Eubank, he's generally regarded as having been the better fighter with the better career.

Inter Yer Nan

• Some nice fights coming up in remainder of the year. A slow start to 2019 but is now picking up pace.
My Top 5

Loma/Campbell Tomorrow
Spence/Porter 28 Sep
Canelo/Kovalev 02 Nov
Inoue/Donaire 07 Nov
Commey/Lopez 14 Dec

Other fighters I particularly like to watch are
GGG
Usyk
Briedis
Haney
Crawford
Buatsi
Efe Ajagba
Otha Jones III
Michael Hunter (undersized heavyweight but his skill can make him worth backing if a big price against an opponent who underestimates him).
I'll be going to the Spence-Porter fight. I think you've missed off the two best fights. One being the signed unification at Light Heavyweight on October 18th between Gvozdyk and Beterbiev. Also, Taylor-Prograis. I'm hearing that Prograis is try to get away from that one despite already receiving funds from the WBSS in escrow as he's eyeing a pointless fight with Broner instead. Hopefully the contracts are too firm and this fight happens. I said a while back in here that I consider Taylor to be the most talented British fighter currently and I think this is just an awesome matchup because Prograis is very good and has a great style too.

You mentioned Briedis. I think that fight with Dorticos is going to be an incredible fight. Dorticos is so much fun.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
I'll be going to the Spence-Porter fight. I think you've missed off the two best fights. One being the signed unification at Light Heavyweight on October 18th between Gvozdyk and Beterbiev. Also, Taylor-Prograis. I'm hearing that Prograis is try to get away from that one despite already receiving funds from the WBSS in escrow as he's eyeing a pointless fight with Broner instead. Hopefully the contracts are too firm and this fight happens. I said a while back in here that I consider Taylor to be the most talented British fighter currently and I think this is just an awesome matchup because Prograis is very good and has a great style too.

You mentioned Briedis. I think that fight with Dorticos is going to be an incredible fight. Dorticos is so much fun.
Yeah I considered including Gvozdyk and Taylor but they just missed the cut.
Neither of the fights you mention are yet up on Boxrec but that doesn’t mean much.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Anyone see that Edward's ending?

My acca got settled as a loss as a result of betting on Edward's, surely that's wildly unfair??

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Anyone see that Edward's ending?

My acca got settled as a loss as a result of betting on Edward's, surely that's wildly unfair??
Yeah I seen it. Was rightfully a no contest imo, but I don't see Edwards beating him in the rematch

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Hughie Fury channelling his inner William Wallace

Dan_F

Would be surprised if it’s goes another couple, but what a great fight!

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
How are the British commentators calling it?

I personally think there's max 1 round in it, but the Americans are elbow deep in Loma so it's tough to block out.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Last 2 rounds decided the fight. Lomas class just came to the fore, Campbell has done himself proud though.

Wonder where Campbell goes next though, losing so closely to someone on a different level to those in his division basically rules out a lot of opponents for him