The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Inter Yer Nan

That was a great fight. Porter gave Spence hell. I felt the knockdown was the difference or maybe Spence won by 3 points.

Danny Garcia next for him. I’m a Garcia fan. I think that’s a very close fight.

Fracture90

Wilder vs. Ortiz 2 in November.

Reckon it was supposed to be Fury but that cut he sustained against Wallin will need a while to heal, therefore he won't be able to train properly.

Inter Yer Nan

Spence Porter, excellent fight, wouldn't mind seeing it again at some point
I can see Porter getting a fight with Lipinets so he can be in contention for an IBF mandatory. The IBF enforces mandatories every 12 months or you get stripped so that's the organization he should target. I also question how much longer he can keep making the weight but then again the incentive is there because it's a hot division.

It looks like it's Spence vs. Danny Garcia next (in January) and Pacquaio likely to face Mikey Garcia whilst Thurman figures to be out until next summer which would almost certainly be a tuneup. Unfortunately what that means, is that it's unlikely we'll see Crawford vs. Spence before 2021 (if at all).

Thisistheone

I can see Porter getting a fight with Lipinets so he can be in contention for an IBF mandatory. The IBF enforces mandatories every 12 months or you get stripped so that's the organization he should target. I also question how much longer he can keep making the weight but then again the incentive is there because it's a hot division.

It looks like it's Spence vs. Danny Garcia next (in January) and Pacquaio likely to face Mikey Garcia whilst Thurman figures to be out until next summer which would almost certainly be a tuneup. Unfortunately what that means, is that it's unlikely we'll see Crawford vs. Spence before 2021 (if at all).
Yet again boxing lets us fans down then. Crawford, the best in class, getting left out in the cold because PBC have the rest of the main players? Because Arum & Haymon hate each other?

Inter Yer Nan

Yet again boxing lets us fans down then. Crawford, the best in class, getting left out in the cold because PBC have the rest of the main players? Because Arum & Haymon hate each other?
Yeah basically. PBC even refuse to acknowledge Crawford's existence on their telecasts. They show graphics with the welterweight landscape and list the belts but don't even put him. They have fighters like Mayweather and Davis telling interviewers to "kill that Lomachenko and Crawford pound for pound talk" and they refuse to mention his name to the point it's clear they are trained to do so. They even had a poll for Spence's next fight for fans and it was Porter II, Garcia, Pacquaio and Julian Williams as options.

Arum is actually being very vocal about getting the fight done. Haymon and the PBC want their own sport and the one division that they have a stranglehold the best fighter isn't theirs and they know he'd beat their guys which would hurt them so it's not being entertained.

Inter Yer Nan

I'm expecting a good fight tomorrow with Golovkin and Deryvchenko. I suppose stylistically he's somewhat made to order for GGG being smaller, not that difficult to hit and one that moves forward. Dereyvchenko does have good skill though and is very strong so it could be a good gauge to see where Golovkin is at at this point in his career. I think Golovkin would be smart to box on the back foot behind his jab and use his height because tough, physical fights at this point will hurt his chances moving forward.

Fergies Formula

Golovkin fight about to start. Needs to make a good impression if he is to get the trilogy fight with Canelo that his resume needs.

I would say late stoppage.

Hopefully he hasn’t dropped his level through age just yet. For me he won both Canelo fights so still the best fighter in division and top 3 pound 4 pound.

Canuckred64

GGG looked old, close fight, wouldn't have complained if they had called it a draw. The cut was the difference, they said it was a accidental head butt but it looked a clean shot to me.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Dunno if it's just me but GGG looked old out there

Impressed by the ukrainian though

Fergies Formula

“It was one of the best fights I’ve seen. It was brutal,” said Golovkin’s promote Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Boxing to IFL TV. “Derevyanchenko unbelievable. He won’t say it, but Gennady has been ill all week, and it’s been a real struggle for him, and he’s kept it quiet. He won’t even say anything, but I will, because even though Derevyanchenko deserves all the respect in the world, what Gennady had to go through tonight, the well he had to go through, and he showed much heart. Derevyanchenko was absolutely brilliant,” said Hearn.

Thisistheone

Yeah GGG was very unwell but even if you buy that or not, he looks nowhere near the force he was a couple of years ago. Shame as he has been brilliant.

Inter Yer Nan

Dunno if it's just me but GGG looked old out there

Impressed by the ukrainian though
He is old. The attack minded fighters that take punches usually do not do as well later in their careers. He doesn’t have the style or skills to go and be like Hopkins. His speed and timing is a lot slower, his legs are old and each fight takes more out of him.

Verbalkint

Haha Canelo lost both. Dereyvchenko was far closer to beating GGG and now given all Canelo has said he looks like a cherry picker if he ever fights him again. Lose lose for ol Clenelo. Golovkin is 37/38.
Exactly! Dereyvchenko did more in 12 rounds against GGG than Canelo did in 24.

SambaBoy

Yeah feel this is the end of the road for GGG.

I actually hope he doesn't chase the Canelo trilogy. Golovkin has been one of most favourite fighters over the last decade and it's a shame he never got that defining win really. Canelo dodged him for years, and then finally fought him when he thought he was past it, Golovkin beats him and it gets called a draw. Rematch is made with Canelo thinking all he has to do is be slightly better against a now older fighter, and fair enough, Canelo was better than in the first fight but still didn't win, draw at best for Canelo. He should probably retire on a high or maybe favourite BJS but I suspect BJS will wait until he looks even further declined.

In fairness, Derevychenko is a good fighter so some respect should be given to GGG for the win, even more so if the rumours about him being ill are true.

Thisistheone

I actually hope he doesn't chase the Canelo trilogy. Golovkin has been one of most favourite fighters over the last decade and it's a shame he never got that defining win really. Canelo dodged him for years, and then finally fought him when he thought he was past it, Golovkin beats him and it gets called a draw. Rematch is made with Canelo thinking all he has to do is be slightly better against a now older fighter, and fair enough, Canelo was better than in the first fight but still didn't win, draw at best for Canelo. He should probably retire on a high or maybe favourite BJS but I suspect BJS will wait until he looks even further declined.

In fairness, Derevychenko is a good fighter so some respect should be given to GGG for the win, even more so if the rumours about him being ill are true.
Yeah well said. GGG is one of my favourite fighters. A real throwback in terms of his style and that phase he went through when he was in the ring 3 to 4 times a year defending his belt. Sadly not that common anymore. He's been great for the sport.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but he's never been down in his career or even close to it. Also went on a crazy KO run.

Last edited:

SambaBoy

Yeah well said. GGG is one of my favourite fighters. A real throwback in terms of his style and that phase he went through when he was in the ring 3 to 4 times a year defending his belt. Sadly not that common anymore. He's been great for the sport.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but he's never been down in his career or even close to it. Also went on a crazy KO run.
Yeah even in the amateurs he's never been down. Absolute granite chin. Some of the shots Canelo hit him with and he kept just walking forward.

From 2013-2017, his KO record was quite incredible, he was just a force to be reckoned with.

Apparently growing up, his twin brother Max was the better boxer, more schooled with the same power. Only one could go the Olympics however and because Gennady was born first, they let him go the Olympics whilst his twin brother stayed home, retired and looked after the family.

Inter Yer Nan

Yeah, he pretty soundly defeated Canelo in the first fight and beat him clearly enough in the re-match despite noticeable signs of slippage and Canelo's improved performance. It's just unfortunate for him that casual fans will hold that against him when they look back on his career. Boxing, seemingly now more than ever delivers less fights so there's more of this marination and stalling fights out and he and Golden Boy unashamedly prolonged those fights beyond Golovkin's prime. He still deserved both wins, but he probably dominates even more than the judges don't/can't steal them say a year or two earlier. It reminds me of the Marquez and Pacquaio series, where Marquez was winning the fights but not getting the decisions. Fortunately for Marquez, he still had the likes of Barrera, Casamayor, Diaz to beat and he eventually did get the official win via the only way he would be able to get the win boxing politics being what they are.

Golovkin has had a good career and he's made a lot of money. He'll enter the hall of fame. I wouldn't classify him as a great fighter and it's unfortunate but I think the reluctance of guys like Martinez and Canelo to meet him in his prime meant he was really stuck fighting B level (and sometimes lower) for far too long. He has some nice numbers, like his KO streak, his title defenses and his overall dominance and performances and against very good fighters like Dereyyancheko, Jacobs, Canelo, despite being post-prime, he did well and beat them all. At this point, he has four fights on his $100m contract, so he'll see that out. I suspect Canelo will decide to fight him after seeing him go through a rough fight and put more miles on his body this past weekend. Failing that, I can see Andrade and Saunders being major problems because they'll move around the ring so much and Golovkin has lost some speed, timing and his legs look to be going. Dereyvyanchenko will be hell again. Maybe he should do his mandatory, maybe fight Murata or something easier next.

Golovkin has an all-time great chin that's for damn sure. It's probably the sturdiest chin since Hagler's and it doesn't appear to be any weaker than his either.

Inter Yer Nan

That's part of the great marketing strategy behind him. They knew it was very difficult getting the big names in the ring so how do you create a buzz? Use the young Tyson method of racking them up and knocking them down frequently so you've always got him scheduled and people keep talking. Most fighters are happy facing even lesser opponents and fighting just once or twice a year but they can't generate that fan appeal or buzz. Look at most of the PBC fighters - Charlo twins, Santa Cruz, Russell, Davis. These guys fight once or at a push twice a year against opponents that are the caliber of Golovkin's KO victims opponents. It's a lack of proper promotion and a lack of ambition (from the fighter). Thankfully, Golovkin had both.

It's part of the reason a Kazakh, who came with limited English became such a popular and iconic boxer despite largely mediocre opposition. Now, you'll also notice it's easier for Eastern European fighters to break through here and he had a huge part in that. Remember back then, the US venues and networks were not that interested in the unified and dominant heavyweight champion, Wladimir Klitshcko back then.

Thisistheone

That's part of the great marketing strategy behind him. They knew it was very difficult getting the big names in the ring so how do you create a buzz? Use the young Tyson method of racking them up and knocking them down frequently so you've always got him scheduled and people keep talking. Most fighters are happy facing even lesser opponents and fighting just once or twice a year but they can't generate that fan appeal or buzz. Look at most of the PBC fighters - Charlo twins, Santa Cruz, Russell, Davis. These guys fight once or at a push twice a year against opponents that are the caliber of Golovkin's KO victims opponents. It's a lack of proper promotion and a lack of ambition (from the fighter). Thankfully, Golovkin had both.

It's part of the reason a Kazakh, who came with limited English became such a popular and iconic boxer despite largely mediocre opposition. Now, you'll also notice it's easier for Eastern European fighters to break through here and he had a huge part in that. Remember back then, the US venues and networks were not that interested in the unified and dominant heavyweight champion, Wladimir Klitshcko back then.
That’s a good point, regarding his promotion, hadn’t thought of it like that before. Smart for sure

TheReligion

Abusive
Apparently Errol Spence Jnr has been in a car crash and is in a serious condition but expected to survive. Just seen it on talksport.

Last edited: