The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Inter Yer Nan

Great weekend of Boxing. Probably the best match-up of the year with Taylor and Prograis. Really hard one to call. Undercard of Chisora vs. Price and Burns vs. Selby isn't bad either. Not massively significant fights but should be fun tussles nonetheless. Shakur Stevenson vs. Joet Gonzalez for the vacant WBO title at featherweight is a bit tasty too with genuine bad blood. Gonzalez' sister is Stevenson's girlfriend and the two don't get on at all. I've said before, I think Stevenson is a blue chip prospect but also Gonzalez is a good fighter too.

RedFish

And that is that.

Pound for pound Price is as shite as there is.

You cant fight if you've haven't got the courage to let your hands go.

Just not cut out for professional boxing.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
And that is that.

Pound for pound Price is as shite as there is.

You cant fight if you've haven't got the courage to let your hands go.

Just not cut out for professional boxing.
Bizarre tactics as well....never tried to use his reach, jab completely non-existent...seemed to want to fight chisora in close :houllier:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Prograis was booed intensely. Any reason or just because he’s the ‘away’ fighter?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Taylor looking the better.

Hate it when fighters use that half-turned philly shell. Such a negative spoiling stance. Prograis has opened it up now thank feck

TheReligion

Abusive
Great fight. Couldn't have complained either way. One judge to Taylor by 5 was just ridiculous though. What was he watching?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Great fight. Couldn't have complained either way. One judge to Taylor by 5 was just ridiculous though. What was he watching?
Agreed

I had it 115-113 Taylor as well, but could have easily been 114-114 as well

117-112 was just bonkers :houllier:

Great great fight. Prograis just didn't have the jab to keep Taylor off of him in enough rounds and got pounded all night at close range(while dominating at middle range)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah. Honestly don't see how you could give 7 rounds to Roo

6, if you give him the 1st, sure. Rest of the rounds where close, but pretty clear to me

Inter Yer Nan

I’ve met Dan a few times before. He’s alright but nowhere near as cool as other media guys like Doug Fischer, Steve Kim, Michael Montero etc; I’ve heard he may not be getting renewed by ESPN. I think he can sometimes be too disrespectful towards certain fighters. I never liked Rigondeaux or Lara but his treatment of them was always low class. I also think he has some stupid opinions. He said Wlad Klit is a top five all-time heavyweight and murders Joe Frazier which is completely asinine and just being a fanboy. I don’t think he’s that versed in history or reading a fight or a fighter but he’s top notch at getting the scoops and the news. There’s few better in the business in that aspect.

He’s also really fat.

Oggmonster

Caught up with the fights yesterday, the main event was good. Again shame it was on Box Office as it probably doesn't give them as much exposure as they deserved (and a rematch would probably do big numbers if it had more eyes on it.)

Main takeaway is Price shouldn't be fighting anymore it was embarrassing. Hearn was on IFL TV crying over Patrick Day and did seem genuine when doing so but at the same time he's really risking something bad happening to Price putting him in with the likes of Chisora, it was only ending one way. Price was struggling against Kash Ali before he got bitten

Inter Yer Nan

I'm still buzzing from that fight. I'd love to see Taylor get a chance at Jose Ramirez for all four titles and it be in Vegas. I think that would bring a good crowd as Ramirez also has a decent following in the Fresno area. I'd be at that fight for certain.

Regarding Taylor, he's just one of those boxers who have to be a fan of if you like the sport. Same for Prograis to be honest. With Taylor, since he's turned pro he's been moved aggressively which really puts into perspective what some other big mouthed fighters like Gervonta Davis or even Billy Joe Saunders do when they run their mouths but don't even care to back it up. Especially in the case of Davis. Taylor is confident, but not cocky, doesn't make silly boasts or trash opponents and works his tail off.

Taylor's improvement is there fight by fight, he's a complete fighter, able to box at distance and use his good footwork, height and speed but very adapt in close, ripping body punches as we saw Saturday. He's got in inside game and an outside game, plus a great chin and fighting spirit. Look back to when he back the breaks off Ohara Davies, a fight which was seen as almost 50-50. That was his 10th fight, he drowned the vastly experienced, awkward ex-world champ Miguel Vazquez in his next fight and had the guts to take on Viktor Postol in a final eliminator in his 13th fight in which many felt Postol would be too experienced. A fight which he had to dig deep in.

Enters the WBSS where you can't chose the opponents and have to encounter different styles, beats three unbeaten guys (combined records 65-0, with his last four opponents combined 94-1), wins his first title off a tough champ in Baranchyk and the of course this Prograis classic fight. Now he's got the WBA, IBF, Ring titles, is #1 in the division and won the trophy and will almost certainly fight Ramirez for the WBC and WBO next year. He's proving to be a special fighter.

Prograis himself is a wonderful fighter, must watch TV and a credit to the game. His level of sportsmanship was humbling when you consider almost every fighter who loses a close decision screams bloody murder and refuses to respect the opponent. Prograis was and is all class.

Last edited:

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
His level of sportsmanship was humbling when you consider almost every fighter who loses a close decision screams bloody murder and refuses to respect the opponent. Prograis was and is all class.
It was very refreshing to see.

Inter Yer Nan

Taylor is the real deal. Best British fighter out there
Yes he is. He's got good competition with Fury being the best heavyweight, Callum Smith being the pick of the bunch at 168 but Taylor's last 4-5 fights, plus improving performances and recent accomplishments give him the clear edge for now. He's a definite pound for pound top 10 guy.