The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'd be massively surprised if they can offer him more than he would get to take the fight.

I reckon we get Wilder vs. Fury 3 later in the year

Joshua fights Pulev

At best we get AJ vs Fury next year but I'm always scepital of any big fight in boxing happening.
Depends on who's funding it. If the Saudi talk is true, and I don't doubt it is, they can go well beyond what would be reasonable under normal circumstances.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
One thing that crossed my mind if that Wilder may claim he’s got to get “surgery” on an “injury” maybe from the costume and therefore have an excuse and get out of the re-match as I think they’d only take it for money reasons. Seems they are sticking to these excuses but knowing the truth know he’ll get killed again. So if they pretend to do injured they somehow justify their loss to (so they think) and get out of another beating. Maybe they try to go back to fighting dross and Fury-Joshua fight and the winner owes him.
Ha! Anything is possible in boxing. Would be an easy out for a massive payday whilst buying Wilder a good amount of time to try and put some kind of plan together. Hesitant to say coaching/training for a guy so late into boxing and so old, tbh.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think we'll see Joshua-Pulev for sure. Usyk is a mandatory too. If both promoters are genuinely trying to make the fight it may make sense to have Usyk step aside or let him have the WBO and be there for the winner. Harsh on Usyk and would be a dick move from Hearn as I am sure he assured him he'd get him Joshua but Joshua-Fury would likely make both sides $60-70m I think.

I think Fury will do three fights as he is contracted to that from ESPN and Top Rank. Massive money too. Wilder III, maybe Miller and whoever the mandatory is, maybe Whyte? I hope he fights twice more this year because a Wilder re-match will be a quick win and easy, pointless (aside form the money) match.

Usyk can ruin it because he can beat Joshua. I think as long as he's kept out then we'll see Fury-Joshua. Hopefully by the end of 2021 at the latest but I think sometime in 2022 given how boxing works. I'd be fine with Usyk stepping aside and getting the winner because that would be a superfight after a superfight. Joshua-Usyk won't get the buzz it deserves because everyone will be complaining it's not Fury.
I really have reservations about Usyk at these weights until he proves he can take shots off a HW or bother them with his own. There's a number of guys at this weight who will just barrel into him showing no respect and willing to trade knowing they'll do more damage than he can*. He's obviously a better boxer than most, but how far will technique get you when you're giving up 28lb+ and have to sacrifice your own mobility to try and bridge the gap.

Ruiz, Whyte, Takam, Chisora would all more than fancy their chances against him.

vs. Joshua it's a curious contest, but still dependent on Usyk being able to withstand power and size the likes of which he's never felt before.

*until proven otherwise.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't watch much boxing but Wilder's excuses has made me laugh so much. fecking pathetic, he is getting torn apart on Instagram.
Best comment so far "Dresses like Sauron, expects to win a fight over a ring"

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think we'll see Joshua-Pulev for sure. Usyk is a mandatory too. If both promoters are genuinely trying to make the fight it may make sense to have Usyk step aside or let him have the WBO and be there for the winner. Harsh on Usyk and would be a dick move from Hearn as I am sure he assured him he'd get him Joshua but Joshua-Fury would likely make both sides $60-70m I think.

I think Fury will do three fights as he is contracted to that from ESPN and Top Rank. Massive money too. Wilder III, maybe Miller and whoever the mandatory is, maybe Whyte? I hope he fights twice more this year because a Wilder re-match will be a quick win and easy, pointless (aside form the money) match.

Usyk can ruin it because he can beat Joshua. I think as long as he's kept out then we'll see Fury-Joshua. Hopefully by the end of 2021 at the latest but I think sometime in 2022 given how boxing works. I'd be fine with Usyk stepping aside and getting the winner because that would be a superfight after a superfight. Joshua-Usyk won't get the buzz it deserves because everyone will be complaining it's not Fury.
What do you make of WBOs regulations that make him the automatic mandatory when he moved up weight? I get it in some ways; you don't want someone of his caliber having to fight his way up the ranks, but there are bigger and better fights to be had, and this just gets in the way. It would be nice to see him face off against the likes of Parker and Ruiz before he gets his shot at Joshua (or Fury if he beats him).

lsd

The Oracle
I don't see Joshua ever fighting Fury . Not now not next year not 2022 . Never

ivaldo

He's tried to fight Fury in the past for the offer to be rejected. No reason why he wouldn't again.

Inter Yer Nan

What do you make of WBOs regulations that make him the automatic mandatory when he moved up weight? I get it in some ways; you don't want someone of his caliber having to fight his way up the ranks, but there are bigger and better fights to be had, and this just gets in the way. It would be nice to see him face off against the likes of Parker and Ruiz before he gets his shot at Joshua (or Fury if he beats him).
I think most rules made by the organizations are a joke and with so many weight classes it seems unnecessary as fighters move up all the time but a guy like him who became undisputed in a red hot division I think has earned the right but I think a unification, especially an undisputed should always be allowed to step aside a mandatory.

Inter Yer Nan

He's tried to fight Fury in the past for the offer to be rejected. No reason why he wouldn't again.
Not sure how sincere the "offers" have been. The politics is always going to be an issue but I believe both men want to face each other and will find a way. There's too much money, pride, legacy and bragging rights.

Inter Yer Nan

There’s more...this is getting really embarrassing for Wilder. His lies are blowing up in his face. Even the suit designer said it was a 20 lbs pound so h lies on that too.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Apparently the fight got 800,000-850,000 ppv's up from 325,000 for the first encounter.

Imagine your humiliation being brought to a whole new audience who've not had any interest in you before, and post-fight, you've put up the kind of excuse that makes you a worldwide meme.

Wilder taking on a third fight, and potentially getting absolutely destroyed again would be the kind of embarrassment and fall from grace a man like him cannot come back from as any kind of 'celebrity' the American sports shows have been absolutely tearing the guy to pieces for getting beaten up in such a fashion - and that was before the weighted outfit excuse.

The guy has some serious thinking to do on his next move in terms of activating the clause. The money he'll make is, on top of what he's already got, enough to set him and generations of his lineage up for life, but it will come with a consequence, and he, as a proud man and someone who prides himself on being a fighter (not a boxer), will have to measure that up against the extra money. Becoming a living meme and joke for the next few years, if not all-time, is one hell of a fall from grace from where he's been, via whatever means (padded stats, top fighter avoidance), and something to factor into his decision (from his own POV, not that of a layman who goes: 'wow! $20m!') that, too, with the potential of having the difference between he and Fury indelibly stamped in his consciousness, should he take another absolute whooping.

Trying to think from his perspective, it seems to be a tough call to make that puts everything on the line for him. Would give him kudos for opting in if he is considering all of the above.

Andersons Dietician

I mean his goal is to unify the belts and with Wilder out the picture and no longer able to duck AJ, this has to happen. Fury will take that fight and I’m sure AJ would and it’ll be probably the most cash lucrative heavyweight fight ever.

lsd

The Oracle
I mean his goal is to unify the belts and with Wilder out the picture and no longer able to duck AJ, this has to happen. Fury will take that fight and I’m sure AJ would and it’ll be probably the most cash lucrative heavyweight fight ever.

I've no doubt Fury would take it and I'm sure AJ would but I doubt Hearn wants it.

It won't be the first major fight that never happens and it seems to happen too often now there's more than one belt .

Hearn is like a guy that always wants one more fight before the big one

Inter Yer Nan

I think he is still in shock
I think it's obvious he was never going to be a good sport when he lost. He made too many excuses about the "draw" he was gifted. It's why he's surrounded by yes men and it's why he's never improved. He thinks he's perfect already.

I think he has a concussion also and that's why he can't stop embarrassing himself further. If he'd left it at the embarrassing excuses in the ring it wouldn't be so bad. He's now boxing's biggest meme and Broner is in boxing so that's a helluva achievement.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I've no doubt Fury would take it and I'm sure AJ would but I doubt Hearn wants it.

It won't be the first major fight that never happens and it seems to happen too often now there's more than one belt .

Hearn is like a guy that always wants one more fight before the big one
Hearn will milk Joshua for all he’s worth. He’ll line up a whole bunch of money makers and tease a Fury fight for years.

Fury isn’t the most reliable fella. I can’t see Hearn making the fight until Fury has gone off the rails again.

Really hope I’m wrong obviously.

ivaldo

I think it's obvious he was never going to be a good sport when he lost. He made too many excuses about the "draw" he was gifted. It's why he's surrounded by yes men and it's why he's never improved. He thinks he's perfect already.

I think he has a concussion also and that's why he can't stop embarrassing himself further. If he'd left it at the embarrassing excuses in the ring it wouldn't be so bad. He's now boxing's biggest meme and Broner is in boxing so that's a helluva achievement.
:lol:

Inter Yer Nan

Josh Taylor has hired Ben Davison as head trainer. Good to see Davison get another big job. Taylor has a mandatory on May 2nd against Apinun Khongsong and I think Jack Catterral is due as mandatory after that and has said he won’t step aside. I’m assuming the Taylor-Ramirez fight will marinate this year and come together early next.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Since nobody asked for it here's my new and updated pound for pound list. Some moves. Unfortunately Spence, in spite of coming off a big win is probably not in the frame for a big fight this year nor likely to be the same so he takes a hit. I think Golovkin's best days are numbered too.

1. Vasily Lomachenko - I think the best two fighters are him and Crawford. His talent is more unique and at his best he's more untouchable plus his competition has been far better.

2. Terence Crawford - I think he's the most complete boxer in the sport. I think his mega fight will be the Taylor-Ramirez winner.

3. Naoya Inoue - Been proving himself with big title fights and now has a unification coming up to further solidify his ranking. The most entertaining fighter in the world.

4. Olaksandr Usyk - Unforunately injuries have hurt his momentum but he's got to be top 5. He's a boxing genius and I think he has a great chance against all heavyweights apart from Fury who's a bad style match for him.

5. Canelo Alvarez - I don't believe he beat GGG (or Lara) but he has been improving and there's not many fighters as rounded as him or with as deep a resume.

6. Tyson Fury - His biggest moments he stepped up and delivered. Would probably be higher had he been more active. Seems to be active now though. Maybe he's the least likely boxer on the list to lose a fight in the next 2-3 years. Maybe.

7. Juan Francisco Estrada - Personally, he's got the style I enjoy the most purely from a technique standpoint. Very deep resume to match his blazing skills. Masterclass against Rungvisai in the re-match means only man who's bettered him as a peak Chocolatito when Estrada when young.

8. GGG - Dereyvchenko fight could go either way and the opponent is an excellent fighter but can't help feel GGG has been on the slide for a while. The fact I believe he beat Canelo twice keeps him alive for me.

9. Josh Taylor - Tempted to put him higher. He's been on a hell of a run. Davies, Baranchyk, Postol, Martin were all considered tough matches and of course Prograis was a mega fight. He stepped up and won with class. My dream fight in boxing now (along with a certain Heavyweight fight) is him and Ramirez. If Taylor wins then he could have a claim almost anywhere on the list.

10. Artur Beterbiev - The calm and class he showed against such a high class opponent in Gvozdyk shows why it's a shame this guy has been so poorly managed. He's a quality fighter. I just hope we see him with Bivol, Smith, Ramirez etc;

On the cusp: Errol Spence, Anthony Joshua, Kosei Tanaka, Manny Pacquaio, Jose Ramirez, Mikey Garcia
Good list (as usual) mate.
Bit surprised that you didn’t include Teofimo in the cusp guys though. Win or lose he’ll give Loma fits when they face off.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Apparently the fight got 800,000-850,000 ppv's up from 325,000 for the first encounter.

Imagine your humiliation being brought to a whole new audience who've not had any interest in you before, and post-fight, you've put up the kind of excuse that makes you a worldwide meme.

Wilder taking on a third fight, and potentially getting absolutely destroyed again would be the kind of embarrassment and fall from grace a man like him cannot come back from as any kind of 'celebrity' the American sports shows have been absolutely tearing the guy to pieces for getting beaten up in such a fashion - and that was before the weighted outfit excuse.

The guy has some serious thinking to do on his next move in terms of activating the clause. The money he'll make is, on top of what he's already got, enough to set him and generations of his lineage up for life, but it will come with a consequence, and he, as a proud man and someone who prides himself on being a fighter (not a boxer), will have to measure that up against the extra money. Becoming a living meme and joke for the next few years, if not all-time, is one hell of a fall from grace from where he's been, via whatever means (padded stats, top fighter avoidance), and something to factor into his decision (from his own POV, not that of a layman who goes: 'wow! $20m!') that, too, with the potential of having the difference between he and Fury indelibly stamped in his consciousness, should he take another absolute whooping.

Trying to think from his perspective, it seems to be a tough call to make that puts everything on the line for him. Would give him kudos for opting in if he is considering all of the above.
I've been thinking on this too. I don't think he has a choice but to take the fight. Not taking it is the same as conceding that he can't beat him, and who knows when he'd next get a fight for any of the titles. He could find himself irrelevant in the division very quickly, and hes always got a chance of catching anyone and putting them away. Might as well roll the dice and take him on.

Inter Yer Nan

Good list (as usual) mate.
Bit surprised that you didn’t include Teofimo in the cusp guys though. Win or lose he’ll give Loma fits when they face off.
I think Teofimo will inevitably find his way on the list one day. I just think Lomachenko will be able to outbox him with something to spare. I think he’s going to be left waiting on counters that Loma knows too much to leave him.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I think Teofimo will inevitably find his way on the list one day. I just think Lomachenko will be able to outbox him with something to spare. I think he’s going to be left waiting on counters that Loma knows too much to leave him.
While I agree that Loma will most likely win the fight I can see Teo leaving enough of a mark to enhance his rep before moving up to great things later..