The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Inter Yer Nan

Great piece on Roman Gonzalez in the latest Ring.

ROMAN GONZALEZ: GREATEST HITS
THE LEGENDARY FOUR-WEIGHT TITLEHOLDER REVISITS SIX FIGHTS THAT HELPED BUILD HIS BOXING LEGACY AND TRANSFORM HIM INTO ONE OF THE BEST FIGHTERS OF HIS GENERATION
Roman Gonzalez was the standard-bearer for boxing’s lightest weight classes and helped pave the way for sub-bantamweights to appear on premium cable in the United States. As he moved up in weight, he proved time and time again how special he was, eventually earning the top spot in The Ring’s mythical pound-for-pound rankings during the middle of the 2010s.
This past February, three years after losing his No. 1 status and unbeaten record to Srisaket Sor Rungvisai, Gonzalez showed us how great he still is with an eye-opening destruction of Khalid Yafai to regain a portion of the junior bantamweight title. »
Gonzalez was born in the Nicaraguan capital of Managua on June 16, 1987. He endured a tough start to life.
“We had hard times like everybody,” Gonzalez (49-2, 41 knockouts) told The Ring. “My family is poor. Sometimes we did not have enough to eat. We were, however, a happy and united family.
“I am a third-generation fighter. My grandfather was a fighter; my father and uncles were fighters. My brothers have practiced the sport as well, but I am the only one who currently boxes professionally. I also have some cousins who box in Nicaragua professionally.”
Gonzalez reportedly compiled an 88-0 record during his amateur career, the pinnacle of which was winning a gold medal at the 2004 Central American Championships. He elected to turn professional and made his debut two weeks after his 18th birthday in his home country.
“Chocolatito” steamrolled the opposition, winning his first 16 fights inside the distance. In September 2008, he traveled to Japan and won his first world title, bludgeoning respected WBA 105-pound beltholder Yutaka Niida into defeat in four rounds.
Gonzalez made three defenses of his strawweight belt before moving up to junior flyweight, where he quickly became the WBA 108-pound titleholder. Five defenses followed, notably against future two-weight world champion Juan Francisco Estrada in Los Angeles.

Having outgrown his division again, Gonzalez moved up to flyweight and eventually stopped Akira Yaegashi for the Ring and WBC titles in Japan. After one defense and a non-title homecoming bout, Gonzalez was back in the U.S., where, fighting on the undercard of Gennadiy Golovkin vs. Willie Monroe Jr., he was dubbed “Little Drama Show.” His next two fights were also on Golovkin undercards. It was arguably the middle performance, against Brian Viloria, that Gonzalez was at his best, stopping the four-time titleholder in nine rounds.

Once again, Gonzalez was looking to test himself and decided to step up to junior bantamweight and face then-unbeaten WBC beltholder Carlos Cuadras. The Nicaraguan was undersized but not underskilled, and he won a hard-fought unanimous decision.

Gonzalez lost for the first time in thrilling fashion against the relatively unknown Srisaket Sor Rungvisai in March 2017 by majority decision, though many felt he deserved to win. However, any controversy was rendered moot when the power-punching Thai knocked out Gonzalez in devastating fashion six months later.

Gonzalez returned with a win before sitting out much of 2019 with a knee injury. After a December tune-up, the mighty Nicaraguan rolled back the years with a virtuoso performance, stopping the undefeated Yafai in nine rounds to add the WBA 115-pound title to his already impressive haul of titles.

Although he has surpassed the achievements of the late, great Alexis Arguello, Gonzalez is full of praise for his mentor.

“He taught me what it means to represent Nicaragua in boxing abroad,” he said humbly. “He was an international star and an ambassador of the sport. Most importantly, he was a good friend, a good person and somebody who really cared about the fighters.”

Gonzalez, now 32, is divorced and has three children. He lives in Managua on a farm that he bought after winning his third world title and called it “Quinta Teiken” to honor his Japan-based promoter, Teiken. Away from boxing, he helps children with cancer and belongs to a reforestation program called Guardabarranco. He also owns various properties and is involved in real estate in his homeland.

Gonzalez enjoyed looking back on his career, reminiscing on six career-defining victories for the readers of The Ring.

YUTAKA NIIDA
September 15, 2008, Pacifico, Yokohama, Japan • Titles: WBA strawweight

“It was a very beautiful experience to be able to go to Japan. I remember when I went to Tokyo, it was amazing to see so many buildings and to know I was going to meet the legendary Mr. (Akihiko) Honda (president of Teiken Promotions). To see Japan and the culture was a big blessing; it was definitely different from what I was accustomed to in my country.

“It was a very hard and difficult fight. Niida was very fast and very strong. I remember the fight perfectly well. In the second round, I started to pressure a little bit more and I was able to start hurting Niida. In the third round, I kept up the attack and felt I was hurting him more, and I felt it was a good opportunity to keep pushing. In the fourth round, we exchanged punches and they stopped the fight; both of his eyes were closed. He was a great fighter, and it was impressive to win a world title. I knew I needed to throw combinations, and they worked really well.

“When I returned to Nicaragua, there were so many people at the airport. We went to my neighborhood, Barrio La Esperanza, where everybody was waiting for me, and everybody was really happy. I was really happy with what I had accomplished. I met the president and he gave me a house; it was my first house. I was really happy, really joyful for all the merits I received, because at the same time I was able to help my family. Alexis Arguello told me it was very important to become a world champion but even more important to be able to maintain yourself as one. Alexis was very happy with me and felt very proud of the work he had done – Alexis trained me for that fight, my first world title, so many long hours. He was very happy I had won. He knew me better than anybody and what I had to offer. Alexis didn’t travel to Japan for that fight; he commentated on the fight for international TV.”

Result: Gonzalez TKO 4

MANUEL VARGAS
March 19, 2011, Plaza San Diego, San Pedro Cholula, Mexico • Titles: WBA junior flyweight

“I didn’t win my 108-pound title against Manuel Vargas; I won (the interim title) against ‘Chiquita’ Rosas in Japan. (Editor’s Note: Gonzalez was elevated to full WBA titleholder status in February 2011.) After the fight with Rosas, I was going to fight Kazuto Ioka, and Ioka paid a fee so he didn’t have to fight me. Then I was going to fight Juan Carlos Reveco, and he vacated the title and didn’t want to fight. Then I became interim champion and then I became full champion. I made five defenses and moved up in weight. I remember at the beginning, in Mexico, I wasn’t treated like I am now. The first fights in Mexico were very hard. They wouldn’t pick me up at the airport. They made me wait in a tent before the fight. I wasn’t given too much peace before the fights, but that changed with time. The Manuel Vargas fight was a very, very difficult fight. I definitely like to fight in my opponent’s backyard; it’s scary to fight in their backyards, but it’s a lot scarier to fight in my country, because there is a lot of additional pressure.”

Result: Gonzalez UD 12

JUAN FRANCISCO ESTRADA
November 17, 2012, Sports Arena, Los Angeles • Titles: WBA junior flyweight

“I remember my second fight in America was very difficult also, against a southpaw (Ramon Garcia Hirales). It worked out well, and to be able to fight ‘El Gallo’ Estrada on a bigger stage was really good, because I had already fought a lot of Mexican warriors. I fought with diarrhea against Omar Salado. I fought so many top prospects and Mexican warriors in Mexico. So to fight Juan ‘El Gallo’ Estrada meant a lot, and on a bigger stage. I knew there was pressure, but it made me fight even better; I want to overcome any type of obstacle. It was an incredible fight, and I’d like to fight him again. I believe when I fought Estrada, he had trained very well and was in great condition. And maybe it wasn’t known at the time, but that helped him to be in the position he is in today (Estrada is the current Ring junior bantamweight champion). It was a very difficult fight. It was a great fight; that’s why I would like to repeat that fight someday.”

AKIRA YAEGASHI
September 5, 2014, Yoyogi No. 2 Gymnasium, Tokyo • Titles: Ring/WBC flyweight

“It was a great fight. It was great to be able to win a third world title. And to win the Ring title was an even bigger accomplishment, because I remember great champions like Alexis Arguello and Oscar De La Hoya who got a Ring belt. It meant not to be just a champion but to have the heart of a champion. … It was great to be able to tie Alexis’ record (becoming a three-division titleholder) but I have always said even if I won five or six world titles, Alexis will always be No. 1. He was like a father figure. He was my mentor; he taught me how to be a world champion, to believe I could be one. He was the first world champion of Nicaragua, and that meant so much to him. He paved the way for the rest of us. Even if I win more world titles, I’ll never be as good as Alexis Arguello. He’ll always be No. 1.”

Result: Gonzalez TKO 9

BRIAN VILORIA
October 17, 2015, Madison Square Garden, New York • Titles: Ring/WBC flyweight

“It was incredible to be on the same card as Gennadiy Golovkin; I admire him very much. It meant a lot. He is a great champion. I send him my blessings and greetings. It was probably one of my best performances. That and my (previous) fight with Edgar Sosa catapulted my fan base within the boxing world. I liked it so much because of the history that Brian Viloria has and what a great world champion he had been.”

Result: Gonzalez TKO 9

CARLOS CUADRAS
September 10, 2016, The Forum, Inglewood, California • Titles: WBC junior bantamweight

“It was one of my most memorable fights, not just to beat a bigger Cuadras but to win and fight against a champion at junior bantamweight and to take his unbeaten record (Cuadras was 35-0-1). It was a very difficult fight. I had to be in the best physical condition of my life. It was a great feat. I had been received by people at the airport (after previous fights), but not as much as when I had beat Cuadras for the fourth world title. So many people came to see me. I may fight and win more world titles in the future, but I don’t think I’ll ever be received by so many people and so much love as I was after that fight.

“I’ve fought against great fighters, and I’d definitely like to achieve a fifth world title. There is still a lot of strength and a lot of motivation within me to conquer another world title. There are still a lot of people I would like to fight. To win another world title is something I am going to prepare myself to do.”

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Greatest first round ever ?

Easily best first round. Watching Ali Frazier on ESPN first fight. All 3 are on in a row. 15 rounds of pure nonstop punches. Just incredible. Ali Frazier one hasn’t been seen on normal tv in 30 years.

Inter Yer Nan

Easily best first round. Watching Ali Frazier on ESPN first fight. All 3 are on in a row. 15 rounds of pure nonstop punches. Just incredible. Ali Frazier one hasn’t been seen on normal tv in 30 years.
Frazier-Ali I is the greatest Heavyweight fight ever for me. I’m not sure any version of Ali beats that version of Smokin Joe.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Frazier-Ali I is the greatest Heavyweight fight ever for me. I’m not sure any version of Ali beats that version of Smokin Joe.
That fight was a spectacle. Stars, the Garden, Ali and Frazier 15 rounds all action. I was 8 and it was all anybody talked about. I can’t imagine how much PPV would be for a fight of that magnitude. It really was the fight of the century.
Ali was getting the better of Frazier for the first half of the fight. It started out so fast. No feeling out at all. Ali couldn’t handle Joe in the later rounds. I think a version of Ali during his ban years would have been razor sharp and beaten Joe. Could you imagine Ali if he had his peak years instead of the ban? Ali never threw a body punch and had the fastest jab and quickest feet I’ve ever seen welterweight and above.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not even a pre-prison Ali who was able to dance for fifteen rounds? Dunno, some of his fights from that time are impressive. The one against Cleveland Williams in particular (obviously a totally different boxer to Smoking Joe), I don’t see anyone being able to defeat that version of Ali.

On a totally different note, are you Rummy’s corner?

Inter Yer Nan

Not even a pre-prison Ali who was able to dance for fifteen rounds? Dunno, some of his fights from that time are impressive. The one against Cleveland Williams in particular (obviously a totally different boxer to Smoking Joe), I don’t see anyone being able to defeat that version of Ali.

On a totally different note, are you Rummy’s corner?
No that’s not me.

I can see why a lot of people would pick 60s Ali but also he was lighter and perhaps less likely to stand up to the barrages. He made so many mistakes defensively that he’d still always get hit, especially against someone as relentless and gutsy as Frazier. It’s also worth noting that yes he looked sensational against Williams, Williams was completely shot to bits in that fight.

Revan

Assumptionman
A lot of people think Ali won that first fight?
A lot of people think that Pacquiao won against Mayweather. I guess they are just fans.

I don’t think it was like really close (for example like Hagler va Leonard where a lot of people think that Hagler won and it was so close that he could have won it).

Revan

Assumptionman
No that’s not me.

I can see why a lot of people would pick 60s Ali but also he was lighter and perhaps less likely to stand up to the barrages. He made so many mistakes defensively that he’d still always get hit, especially against someone as relentless and gutsy as Frazier. It’s also worth noting that yes he looked sensational against Williams, Williams was completely shot to bits in that fight.
Ah, was under that impression probably cause he has a spectacular knowledge of boxing, while also being a big Marquez fan.

Anyway, I think that a lot of talk why people think that Ali wouldn’t endure as much before his prison, is cause he was never in any trouble before that. Probably the closest was the baby Ali against Liston in the fifth round, where he was almost blind (probably cause Liston had something on his gloves) but still he managed to not get hit in the round and then made Liston quit on the next round.

I definitely think that Frazier had Ali’s number more than any other boxer (except possibly Norton, and maybe cause they were coached from the same great trainer), but when I see Ali of sixties, he just looks so good and I have hard to imagine anyone ever doing something to him. At the same time, it might be cause of the quality of the opponents. Liston was awesome, but the remaining less so (Patterson was past his peak and his peak wasn’t even that high, Archie was 200 years old, Williams as you said was shot - even literally -, Folley was ok but not spectacular. Still you can beat only what is on front of you, and except Liston he didn’t fight boxers (at their peak) of the caliber of Foreman, Frazier or Norton in the sixties.

I have no doubt that a younger Ali would have done much better against Foreman though, with Foreman hitting air instead of ropes.

Inter Yer Nan

Ah, was under that impression probably cause he has a spectacular knowledge of boxing, while also being a big Marquez fan.

Anyway, I think that a lot of talk why people think that Ali wouldn’t endure as much before his prison, is cause he was never in any trouble before that. Probably the closest was the baby Ali against Liston in the fifth round, where he was almost blind (probably cause Liston had something on his gloves) but still he managed to not get hit in the round and then made Liston quit on the next round.

I definitely think that Frazier had Ali’s number more than any other boxer (except possibly Norton, and maybe cause they were coached from the same great trainer), but when I see Ali of sixties, he just looks so good and I have hard to imagine anyone ever doing something to him. At the same time, it might be cause of the quality of the opponents. Liston was awesome, but the remaining less so (Patterson was past his peak and his peak wasn’t even that high, Archie was 200 years old, Williams as you said was shot - even literally -, Folley was ok but not spectacular. Still you can beat only what is on front of you, and except Liston he didn’t fight boxers (at their peak) of the caliber of Foreman, Frazier or Norton in the sixties.

I have no doubt that a younger Ali would have done much better against Foreman though, with Foreman hitting air instead of ropes.
I felt that Norton beat Ali in the third fight relatively clearly but it’s clear Frazier took so much out of Ali in Manila. Norton did give Ali fits though because Ali wasn’t a big puncher and couldn’t fight inside. I wonder had Ali-Norton I & II been world title fights if they’d have been differently or was it purely style. The Frazier-Ali fights were bigger than anything so nobody was going to come in under prepared in those. For what it’s worth I think Frazier would bomb Norton out every time had they not been such good friends and had fought each other.

Ali is obviously one in a million for a heavyweight. I genuinely don’t believe he’d have been a great fighter if he’d say, been a welterweight or a middleweight because he made so many mistakes but at heavyweight you can get away with more (but chin, resilience and power are bigger differences in the divisions). Liston IMO probably beats all heavyweights in history head to head but 60s Ali, Holmes and maybe Joe Louis. It’s conceivable that Ali beats them all but I just think Frazier was faster, way stronger mentally than Liston and would take any Ali into the trenches like that.

Revan

Assumptionman
I felt that Norton beat Ali in the third fight relatively clearly but it’s clear Frazier took so much out of Ali in Manila. Norton did give Ali fits though because Ali wasn’t a big puncher and couldn’t fight inside. I wonder had Ali-Norton I & II been world title fights if they’d have been differently or was it purely style. The Frazier-Ali fights were bigger than anything so nobody was going to come in under prepared in those. For what it’s worth I think Frazier would bomb Norton out every time had they not been such good friends and had fought each other.

Ali is obviously one in a million for a heavyweight. I genuinely don’t believe he’d have been a great fighter if he’d say, been a welterweight or a middleweight because he made so many mistakes but at heavyweight you can get away with more (but chin, resilience and power are bigger differences in the divisions). Liston IMO probably beats all heavyweights in history head to head but 60s Ali, Holmes and maybe Joe Louis. It’s conceivable that Ali beats them all but I just think Frazier was faster, way stronger mentally than Liston and would take any Ali into the trenches like that.
Yep, in lower divisions I don’t see Ali being that great. He had some flawed fundamentals (couldn’t throw a decent uppercut for example) and his defense was entirely speed based. On lower divisions, I don’t think dancing for 15 rounds would have worked.

One interesting thing from your post is that it seems that you rate Liston higher than Foreman. To me, Foreman looked like a bigger and stronger version of Liston. To be fair, if someone combined the second iteration of Foreman (the one with immense durability, granite chin and good boxing IQ) with the beast from the seventies, that is someone unbeatable.

Also, from the limited time I have seen Louis, I have trouble understanding what was the fuss about. He looks like a robot to me, a smaller but more precise version of Anthony Joshua. He hit hard, but not much movement and not much head movement. I might be showing my ignorance here but I think that all great heavyweights after him (except possibly Marciano and Holyfield) would have destroyed him (talking for Liston, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, Tyson, Lewis). Same for Dempsey. I just think that the boxing on the fifties and especially sixties really advanced and the boxers just became much better.

Inter Yer Nan

This is an excellent feature on one of my all-time favorite boxers and for those unfamiliar one who I consider to be among the most entertaining fighters that ever lived along with Bobby Chacon, Danny Lopez (whom he both fought), Matthew Saad Muhammad, Arturo Gatti and Joe Frazier.

GREATEST HITS: RUBEN OLIVARES
THROUGHOUT THE GOLDEN YEARS OF THE SEVENTIES, THE FORMER TWO-WEIGHT CHAMP POUNDED HIS WAY INTO THE PANTHEON OF MEXICO’S MOST REVERED FIGHTERS
Ruben Olivares was born in Mexico City on January 14, 1947, and grew up in the tough environment of the capital’s Colonia Bondojito neighborhood. He took up boxing when he was 15 and earned his stripes in the amateurs before turning professional in early 1965.
The big-punching flyweight stretched his first 24 opponents and made his way through the ranks while his body matured into the bantamweight division. Olivares’ fearsome reputation grew along with his propensity to land his vaunted left hook to the liver. He knocked out former champion Salvatore Burruni (TKO 3), future world title challenger Kazuyoshi Kanazawa (TKO 2) and former world title challenger Takao Sakurai (TKO 6) in an eliminator to secure a matchup against Lionel Rose in August 1969 at the Fabulous Forum in Inglewood, California.
By this time, “Rockabye Ruben,” already an attraction in Mexico and Southern California, had run his record to an incredible 52-0-1 with 50 knockouts. Rose was dispatched with considerable ease, dropped in the second round and twice in the fifth.

Olivares made two defenses of his undisputed crown at his home away from home, The Forum, against British champion Alan Rudkin and compatriot Chucho Castillo before yielding the title to Castillo in their rematch. He regained his belts in their third fight.

He made two defenses before losing to Rafael Herrera in August 1972.

“El Puas” decided to move up in weight. His party-going ways always threatened to blight his career, but twice he won versions of the featherweight title. Olivares’ first 126-pound reign ended against a young Alexis Arguello, who scored a dramatic 13th-round stoppage in November 1974, but he rebounded seven months later against Los Angeles-area star Bobby Chacon, whom he stopped in two rounds to earn the WBC featherweight title. Olivares had handed Chacon his first pro defeat, by ninth-round stoppage in 1973, but lost their third match by 10-round decision in 1977 when he was clearly on the decline.

Although Olivares’ record became patchy during the final years of his career, he was still a dangerous opponent – as future two-time lightweight titleholder Jose Luis Ramirez, whom he stopped in two rounds in 1978, will attest.

His last big fight was against WBA 126-pound beltholder Eusebio Pedroza, who stopped him in 12 rounds in July 1979. He stuck around until the fall of 1981, and although he made two ill-conceived comebacks later in the decade, his place in Mexican folklore was secure.

Olivares (89-13-3, 79 KOs) entered the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1991.

Now 72, the great former champion lives in Mexico City. He is married and has six children. He is still popular in his homeland.

Here, Olivares looks back on six career-defining victories.

LIONEL ROSE

August 22, 1969, The Forum, Inglewood, California • Titles: WBA/WBC bantamweight

“My trainer, ‘Chilero’ Carrillo, had me in tip-top shape for this fight. These days, there are some guys who become world champion after 10 or so fights. Well, here I was with 53 fights going into my first bout for the title. It was much harder back then to become world champion because there were only two organizations – the WBC and the WBA – and much fewer divisions. It was the most memorable and exciting time of my boxing career. I was thrilled beyond belief to become world champion at The Forum in Inglewood, in front of a sold-out crowd, plus winning by fifth-round knockout. Last year was the 50th anniversary of my win over Rose for the world bantamweight championship.”

Result: Olivares KO 5

CHUCHO CASTILLO

April 18, 1970, The Forum, Inglewood, California • Titles: WBA/WBC bantamweight

“I was as surprised as everyone else when Castillo dropped me in the third. It was a tough round for me, but thank God my physical condition got me through. I got up and beat him by 15-round unanimous decision, also in front of a sold-out crowd at The Forum. There was so much interest in this fight that it was shown at closed-circuit auditoriums throughout Southern California. It was definitely a fierce rivalry that we had. We were not the best of friends. We were completely different people. I remember telling the press after this fight, ‘I don’t like Chucho, but he’s not a bad little boxer.’ He was the quiet type, serious and dedicated. And also in great athletic shape.”

Result: Olivares UD 15

CHUCHO CASTILLO III

April 2, 1971, The Forum, Inglewood, California • Titles: WBA/WBC bantamweight

“After our first fight, everyone wanted the rematch. But in our second fight, the doctor stopped it in the 14th round because of a badly cut eye, giving the fight to Castillo. It was the first loss of my career. Could Chucho have cut me because of a headbutt? Probably so. So for the third fight, revenge was a big factor. It meant everything to me to win the championship again. I did not like the feeling of not being champ. I had to be in great shape and try to beat him every round to get my titles back. Chucho and I were participants in one of Mexico’s most important boxing rivalries. We fought three times at The Forum in front of sold-out crowds for a total of 44 punishing rounds. I believe this trilogy defined both our careers.”

Result: Olivares UD 15

ESUS PIMENTEL

December 14, 1971, The Forum, Inglewood, California • Titles: WBA/WBC bantamweight

“Jesus ‘Little Poison’ Pimentel was one tough hombre. Boxing writers say he was the best bantamweight that never won a world title. We fought for my bantamweight titles at The Forum in 1971, but I was able to stop him in the 11th round. Interestingly enough, this was his one and only attempt at the title, then he retired from the ring that night. (Promoter George) Parnassus offered me a new car to motivate me; he believed in me, and I did try for the KO in the fifth but did not get it. Parnassus paid me $90,000 for the Pimentel fight, so I was able to buy a new car anyway. The Forum was like my second home. The Los Angeles area means a lot to me because I won all four of my world titles at The Forum. I fought there a total of 22 times. I don’t think any other boxer is near that number. My representative, Gene Aguilera, tells me that he can’t believe The Forum doesn’t have a plaque mounted on their wall that celebrates that fact.”

Result: Olivares TKO 11

BOBBY CHACON II

June 20, 1975, Forum, Inglewood, California • Titles: WBC featherweight

“In my first fight with Bobby in 1973, I hit him with an overhand right in the ninth, and he landed about four feet away on the seat of his pants. The miracle was that he was able to get up and finish the round. His handlers wisely stopped the fight between rounds. That was Bobby’s first loss as a pro. In our second fight, which was for Bobby’s WBC featherweight title, I knocked him out in two rounds. We heard Bobby was having trouble making weight, so when we saw him at the weigh-in, he looked like death warmed over. During the fight, I didn’t feel any strength from Bobby, no resistance, nothing. He felt weak. So I went for it, and the referee stopped the fight after the second knockdown. The second Chacon fight was a significant victory for me because I became the featherweight world champion for the second time, to go along with being a two-time bantamweight champion. In those days it was difficult to become a world champion, much less a four-time world champion. My effort and dedication made it pay off for me.”

Result: Olivares TKO 2

JOSE LUIS RAMIREZ

April 28, 1978, Arena de Ciudad Obregon, Ciudad Obregon, Sonora, Mexico • Titles: None

“I was brought in as ‘the opponent’ for Ramirez, for him to add a name to his résumé. It was a tough fight because he was a young, up-and-coming 19-year-old with a record of 43-1, and he dropped me in the first round. But in the second, I caught him in the corner with a perfect left, and down he goes. The referee could have counted to 100. That fight was in Obregon, Sonora, Mexico, in 1978, but to this day, I have not seen a video of that fight. It is a fight that has gone underground, under the radar, like they don’t want anyone to see it. I know it was televised, because I saw all the cameras. None of the great fighters he fought – Alexis Arguello, Ray Mancini, Edwin Rosario, Hector Camacho, Pernell Whitaker, Julio Cesar Chavez – were able to knock Ramirez out. I was the only one. He had quite the impressive career. Many years later, I ran into Ramirez and his son at a boxing event, and he told his son, ‘This is my other Papa. The only one who ever knocked me out cold was Ruben Olivares.’”

Result: Olivares TKO 2

Inter Yer Nan

THE FORMER UNDISPUTED HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION DESCRIBES SIX PERFORMANCES THAT HELPED BUILD ‘THE BADDEST MAN ON THE PLANET’

The style had been seen before, but the total package was unique.

Mike Tyson was a practitioner of the peek-a-boo style that was made famous by his mentor, Cus D’Amato. The legendary trainer-manager transformed Floyd Patterson into the first ever two-time heavyweight champion of the world and later guided Jose Torres to light heavyweight glory. Both Patterson and Torres carried their hands high, they were quick of foot, they moved their heads, they switched from body to head effortlessly and released sharp combinations.

D’Amato also founded a system where every punch was represented by a number. He would yell out numbers in different variations and the fighter would respond with the desired burst of punches. The numbers were set in stone, but stringing them together in combination made the system versatile, with the patterns changing depending on an opponent’s style and game plan. It was economical, strategically brilliant and ideal for an offensive force.

Tyson was the ultimate offensive force in the glamour division. He was bigger and more powerful than Patterson and, despite being a heavyweight, quicker than Torres. His killer instinct and thirst for combat was also visceral. D’Amato was positive that he had a diamond in the rough, a heavyweight champion-in-waiting, and his new charge soaked up knowledge like a sponge. Tyson didn’t reach the top of the tree as an amateur, but he was bred for the professional game.

On November 4, 1985, D’Amato passed away at the age of 77. By that time, Tyson was a super-hot prospect with 11 knockouts in as many fights and he had already captured the attention of the boxing world. Assistant trainer and former fighter Kevin Rooney continued to develop the young fighter from prospect to top-flight contender.

One year later, on November 22, 1986, Tyson was 27-0 with 25 KOs when he entered the ring to face WBC titleholder Trevor Berbick. The challenger dropped the Canada-based Jamaican twice in Round 2 to become the youngest heavyweight titleholder in boxing history at 20. D’Amato’s prophecy had come true.

Over the next three years, Tyson wreaked havoc. In 1987, he dominated James “Bonecrusher” Smith and Tony Tucker, both on points, to claim the WBA and IBF titles, respectively. Those triumphs saw him recognized as the first undisputed heavyweight champion in almost a decade. Total dominance was achieved in June 1988 when Tyson butchered then-Ring Magazine and lineal champion Michael Spinks in just 91 seconds.

“I was probably at my best for Michael Spinks,” Tyson told The Ring before releasing the type of undiluted and uncut response for which he’s become synonymous. “I was married to the gold-digger wife, there was the gold-digger manager (Bill Cayton) and (promoter) Don King’s ripping me off. I’m being torn apart emotionally and physically. I’m all over movies, television, I’ve got lawsuits up the ass, but I turn in the greatest performance of my feckin’ career. Isn’t that crazy?”

He’s settled now, but Tyson’s life during his professional career was certainly crazy. In what is still widely regarded as the biggest upset in boxing history, he lost his titles to Buster Douglas via 10th-round knockout in February 1990. Two years later, he was behind bars after being found guilty of rape, a crime which he insists to this day that he did not commit.

Returning to the ring in 1995, Tyson did regain WBA and WBC versions of the title, but he never again found the form that electrified the boxing world when he was at his peak. The second half of his career was marred by controversy – the shocking double ear-bite on Evander Holyfield in their 1997 rematch being at the top of the list – and he suffered losses to fighters that wouldn’t have lived with him in his heyday. Tyson retired for good in 2005 with a record of 50-6 (44 KOs) and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2011.

The former undisputed heavyweight champion spoke to The Ring about six of his greatest triumphs.

Trevor Berbick
November 22, 1986, Hilton Hotel, Las Vegas • Titles: WBC heavyweight

“I’m in the Hilton Hotel one day, walking along this floor, and I hear someone knock on a door. The door opened and I hear Berbick say, ‘No, I’m not going to the gym today!’ That gave me the confidence that this bitch-ass motherfecker was slacking up. What a coincidence. What are the chances of me being on that floor? What are the chances? I was so excited that I ran back to the gym and worked out again. When I heard him say he didn’t want to train, I was like, ‘Now I’m gonna work out twice as hard!’ I was coming to avenge Muhammad Ali (Berbick outpointed a faded Ali in December 1981) and my intentions were to hurt him really bad. It was a good moment for me.”

Result: TKO 2

Pinklon Thomas
May 30, 1987, Hilton Hotel, Las Vegas, Outdoor Arena • Titles: WBA/WBC heavyweight

“He was very durable and a lot tougher than I thought he was. I hit him with some great shots early and he came back fighting. I was surprised by that, but somewhere around the fifth round (Editor’s note: It was Round 6), he ran into a left hook. He took that shot too, but I knew it was a bomb. The left hook stopped him in his tracks, so I threw everything I had at him and he went down. But he fought a great fight, and I had a great deal of respect for Pinklon Thomas. I was kind to him afterwards because my hero, Jack Dempsey, would brutalize someone and then go over and hug them, shake their hand and be respectful. I was copying my idol.”

Result: TKO 6

Tony Tucker
August 1, 1987, Hilton Hotel, Las Vegas • Titles: IBF/WBA/WBC heavyweight

“Tucker was a really good fighter, but around that time I was partying a lot. I trained for a while, took two weeks off, hung out with some girls, came back, trained for three weeks, then went 12 rounds with him. In the first round, he really surprised me, catching me with a punch (left uppercut) that I didn’t see. Tucker was a magnificent fighter, but it was my time, and I stayed on top of him and didn’t give him a chance to breathe. There was no way for him to get his moves off and counterpunch, because I was all over him. Becoming undisputed champion was special because everything Cus and I talked about since I was 12 years old had come true. Imagine your father talking about you making something happen when you’re a kid and then you make it happen. Wow!”

Result: UD 12

Tyrell Biggs
October 16, 1987, Convention Hall, Atlantic City • Titles: IBF/WBA/WBC heavyweight

“It crossed my mind that I could take the fight the full 15 rounds (Tyson-Biggs was the final heavyweight championship bout to be scheduled for 15), but I really didn’t want to. My mentor, Cus D’Amato, wasn’t just about beating a person; he wanted you to break his spirit, crush him, destroy him, never give your opponent the slightest idea that he can beat you. Biggs had plenty of courage, but they moved him a little too fast (Biggs fought Tyson in his 16th fight after less than three years of professional experience). He was a great amateur and could have gone a lot further as a pro if his management had slowed things down.”

Result: TKO 7

Larry Holmes
January 22, 1988, Convention Center, Atlantic City • Titles: IBF/WBA/WBC heavyweight

“At his best, I thought Holmes was magnificent – the king of his time. Again, this was about avenging Ali (Holmes stopped an aging Ali in October 1980), but after the fight, I mimicked Jack Dempsey by being respectful. I said that Holmes was a great fighter, and that was the truth. Would it have been a harder fight if he was younger? Hell yeah! Check this out: He came out of retirement and hadn’t fought for over two years when he fought me. But after that, he had 10 or 15 fights and started doing really good. He did really well with Evander Holyfield four years later.”

Result: TKO 4

Michael Spinks
June 27, 1988, Convention Hall, Atlantic City • Titles: Undisputed heavyweight

“I was very confident that I would win that fight, but he was a great light heavyweight. I remember one day I was sparring Frank Bruno at Grossinger’s in upstate New York and Michael Spinks was there. He was in training for a light heavyweight fight, and he actually stayed and watched me spar. I could never have known then that we would fight one day, and that just shows you how unpredictable boxing can be. At heavyweight, Michael Spinks could be awkward to fight, and with Larry (Holmes) being a bit over the hill, that made things twice as difficult (Holmes lost two decisions to Spinks). But Spinks was too small for me, his knees were bad, he was an older guy and he didn’t really want to win.”

Result: KO 1

Inter Yer Nan

ROBERTO DURAN: GREATEST HITS
THE FOUR-DIVISION CHAMP REVISITS SOME OF THE MANY FIGHTS THAT EARNED HIM A SPOT IN THE PANTHEON OF ALL-TIME GREATS
In his prime, Roberto Duran was a force of nature, as close to a perfect fighting machine as one could hope to see.
He was forged on the tough streets of El Chorrillo, a suburb of Panama City. He turned professional as a 16-year-old at bantamweight in 1968, winning a four-round decision over future world title challenger Carlos Mendoza.
Duran filled out into a lightweight and made his American debut in September 1971 on the undercard of his countryman Ismael Laguna losing the WBA 135-pound strap to Ken Buchanan. The fight put Buchanan and the WBA title in Duran’s crosshairs.
Just nine months later, Duran relieved Buchanan of the title and embarked on a legendary run. He’s widely regarded as the greatest lightweight in history; his reign of terror consisted of a then-record 12 successful defenses over a seven-year period.

“Hands of Stone” wasn’t content with that. He skipped the 140-pound division altogether in favor of chasing one of boxing’s biggest stars, Sugar Ray Leonard, whom he beat in a 15-round unanimous decision to claim the WBC welterweight belt.

The iconic figure went on to win junior middleweight and middleweight titles during a career that spanned five decades. Panama’s finest finally retired in 2002 after a car accident, doing so with a record of 103 victories (70 by knockout) and 16 losses. He was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2006.

Duran, now 67, lives in Panama. He is the subject of the biopic film Hands of Stone and a new documentary called I am Duran.

Duran looked back on six career-defining victories for readers of The Ring:

KEN BUCHANAN
June 26, 1972, Madison Square Garden, New York • Titles: WBA lightweight

“I know that I was extremely happy that I became champion of the world, and I had the opportunity to fight in New York. That was a dream for me. The low blow was just an excuse for him (Editor’s note: Buchanan complained of debilitating pain from being hit low after the conclusion of Round 13 and declined to continue). That’s what Buchanan said for them not to take his title away. He knew he was losing the fight, that I had the control from the first round. I had put pressure on him in every round.”

Result: Duran TKO 13

ESTEBAN DE JESUS II
March 16, 1974, Gimnasio Nuevo Panama, Panama City, Panama • Titles: WBA lightweight

“I was thinking walking into the ring that this time it was going to be different, because in my mind, I felt that even though he knocked me down, I won the first fight (Duran lost a unanimous decision to De Jesus in a 1972 non-title bout). So this time my mind was set to knock him out and to take him out of the ring, if necessary. When he dropped me (in the first round), I looked to my corner, to my trainer Ernesto ‘Plomo’ Quinonez and shook my head to tell him ’don’t worry, I’m fine, nothing happened, I’m not dizzy.’ After that knockdown, I became angry and stronger, and all I wanted was to defeat him. I wasn’t going to leave anything in the hands of the judges.”

Result: Duran KO 11

RAY LAMPKIN
March 2, 1975, Gimnasio Nuevo Panama, Panama City, Panama • Titles: WBA lightweight

“I felt proud of being a Panamanian and loved by my countrymen. I was always grateful to be able to fight in my country and give them joy through my fights. It has been my greatest honor to represent Panama. I said next time I will send (Lampkin) to the morgue, because I had to lose a lot of weight and I felt very weak. Remember, back in that time the weigh-in was the same day as the fight. So I wasn’t feeling as powerful. I could have ended the fight earlier, but I was not in my best shape. Still, it was a great fight, great KO, and Lampkin was a great rival. I just want to clarify that it was a figure of speech – not that I actually wanted to kill him.” (laughs)

Result: Duran KO 14

SUGAR RAY LEONARD
June 20, 1980, Olympic Stadium, Montreal • Titles: WBC welterweight

“I knew I had to get inside his head. I used tactics like insulting him, calling him names – I was disrespectful in every sense of the word, but this was a war and this was my strategy. You know, I was just so upset, because it was almost as if people were forgetting my capabilities, forgetting that I was also a champion with an impressive resume, and here comes this pretty boy, golden boy, and the media went crazy for him. He was indeed the media golden child: well spoken, educated – something that I never had the privilege to have, because I was so poor that at the age of 5 I was on the streets selling newspapers, cleaning shoes to help my family, and I didn’t have the privilege to go to school and get an education. So I guess this made me mad, and it became personal. I needed to show the world who ‘Hands of Stone’ was, so I trained like never before in my life. My mission in that moment was to rip from him the welterweight title. I made him fight my fight because he was a boxer. I frustrated him. I confused him completely. Like I said before, my strategy was to get inside his head and take away his concentration, and it paid off. He took it so personally that it made him want to go toe-to-toe with me, and that was his biggest mistake: to fight my fight. It was one of the most important victories of my life, if not the most important. Coming from lightweight to fight a true welterweight champion and take his belt against all odds has been the most gratifying achievement in my career. Even in my country, people thought I couldn’t do it, and that gave me more desire to prove them wrong.”

Result: Duran UD 15

DAVEY MOORE
June 16, 1983, Madison Square Garden, New York • Titles: WBA junior middleweight

“Every since I was a kid, I always dreamed of going to New York. Madison Square Garden will always have a special place in my heart; it’s the mecca of boxing. I made great friends there, won championships there; New York belongs to me – a special place in my heart forever. I did surprise the world, didn’t I? (laughs) Everyone thought I was an old, washed-out fighter, that Moore for sure would put an end to my career. But I’m like a cat; I have nine lives. When I prepared myself to be my best, nobody could beat me. That night at the Garden, I was inspired and fully motivated. I was thankful to Davey for giving me the opportunity to fight him. I guess beating an old-timer would have been great to have on his resume, but when you are fighting with an old fox, you can’t be overconfident.”

Result: Duran TKO 8

IRAN BARKLEY
February 24, 1989, Convention Center, Atlantic City • Titles: WBC middleweight

“I asked (late president of the WBC) Mr. Jose Sulaiman, R.I.P., to speak to Barkley to give me the opportunity to fight him, and Mr. Sulaiman said that he would help me with the condition that if I lose the fight, I had to retire from boxing. So Barkley gave me the chance to fight him, because they told him I was already finished and it would be nice to add another legend to his resume. Also because he wanted to avenge Davey Moore’s defeat against me. They were close friends, and Barkley hated me for the way I beat Moore, R.I.P. When I saw Barkley, I saw how strong and big he was. I knew it was going to be a great challenge to beat him. But mentally and physically, even at 37, I felt very powerful during my training camp. I knew it was my last chance; I knew that everything was at stake. Mentally, I was so focused. I never saw myself getting defeated; it was never in my mind: What if I lose?’ Never! I went to Miami, Florida, to prepare myself in my training camp. I was sparring against 180-pounders. I was running with soldier boots on the beach, in the sand, to get my legs strong. I prepared myself physically so well that going the 12 rounds with Barkley was a piece of cake for me. Don’t get me wrong, he was a powerful puncher, strong as hell! But I was able to overcome him because of my experience of many years fighting. It wasn’t the first time I was against the ropes; I’ve been there before, and my mental toughness always came through for me. I had to use every trick in the book that night. It wasn’t easy, but at the end it was gratifying.”

Result: Duran SD 12

Inter Yer Nan

GOING THE DISTANCE
OFTEN UNAPPRECIATED DURING HIS 14-YEAR PRO CAREER, THE BOXING ENIGMA THAT WAS LENNOX LEWIS ULTIMATELY SECURED HIS PLACE AMONG ALL-TIME GREAT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONS

INTRODUCTIONS
L
adies and gentlemen, introducing, from London, England, weighing in at 245 pounds, with a record of 41 wins, 2 losses, 1 draw and 32 knockouts … the 1988 Olympic super heavyweight gold medalist … the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world … LENNOX … LEWIS!
Cue rapturous cheering and applause.
Always wholesome and devoid of controversy, Lennox Lewis was still a boxing enigma. A 6-foot-5 modern heavyweight with imposing physical advantages over most of his opposition, the colossal Brit was more pugilist than power-puncher. More smarts than smash. More risk-assessor than risk-taker.
Through the course of a 14-year professional career, Lewis had more critics than perhaps all his contemporaries combined. However, in the final analysis, this first-ballot Hall of Famer established himself as the finest heavyweight of his generation. He took the brutal game of boxing, made it chess and bellowed “checkmate” from the top of the mountain.
Like his predecessor, Larry Holmes, it was fated for Lewis to be unappreciated during his time. Holmes followed the Ali era. Lewis followed the Tyson era. But, again, like Holmes, the Lewis years have aged like fine wine. After all, how many great heavyweight championship fights have there been since Lewis’ retirement in 2004?
Even though Lewis defeated every man he ever faced as a professional, his road to the top was not without incident or drama. There was controversy and there was harrowing defeat but – perhaps the biggest surprise of all – there was a happy ending and a feeling of perpetual triumph.
Here the former undisputed heavyweight champion revisits 12 fights that helped forge a very special legacy. Seconds out!

https://www.ringtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/GTD-RD1.jpg
Razor Ruddock
October 31, 1992. London:

“Me and Razor Ruddock trained together before the 1988 Olympics (in Seoul). I had him helping me because he was a professional at the time, and we had some great battles in sparring. Years later, when he came over to England to fight me, he said, ‘Lennox, I still have your blood on my boots!’ It was war because those are fighting words and that’s all I could think about when I got in the ring.” (laughs) Lewis TKO 2

ROUND 2

Frank Bruno
October 1, 1993. Cardiff, Wales:

“The fight was outdoors and it was so cold they had to wrap us in blankets. I’d looked at Bruno’s jab and thought I could get away from it, but the fight turned out to be an awakening. In the first couple of rounds, I’m like, ‘Hey, this guy’s jab is really good!’ Later, he hit me and I reacted with a left hook but, let me tell you, I didn’t even aim. I just threw the hook and he was in the way.” Lewis TKO 7

ROUND 3

Lionel Butler
May 13, 1995. Sacramento, California:
“It was my first fight under (trainer) Emanuel Steward, but Pepe Correa (Lewis’ previous trainer) was in Butler’s corner. If you watch that fight, you can see Pepe shouting, ‘We’re gonna knock him out! We’re gonna knock him out!’ First, Pepe had been my trainer and he should know better. Second, shortly after the fight started, I knew that it was me who was going to win by knockout. Butler didn’t have the athleticism.” Lewis TKO 5

https://www.ringtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/GTD-RD4.jpg

Ray Mercer
May 10, 1996. New York:

“He put me through hell for a couple of reasons. One, they dropped the ring size down to 15-16 feet (square) overnight, and every time I jabbed and stepped back, I touched the ropes. Also, Mercer did a smart thing in that every time he let his punches go, he smothered me afterwards. That was a test for me – and a good test – because it proved that I had heart. He came with his punches and I came back with mine. I passed the test.” Lewis MD 10

ROUND 5

Oliver McCall II
February 7, 1997. Las Vegas:

“I was prepared for absolutely everything, because I wanted this man in the ring. But, suddenly, he starts crying and goes through a breakdown. I’m in the corner and Manny says, ‘What are you doing? Get him!’ I said, ‘Manny, he’s crying!’ Manny shouted, ‘What the hell? Go and beat him up even more!’ McCall was one of two fighters to beat me but, at my best, 10 times out of 10, I’d beat him easily. If I didn’t lose a fight, I wouldn’t know how great I am.” Lewis TKO 5

ROUND 6
Andrew Golota
October 4, 1997. Atlantic City, New Jersey:

(laughs) “My mother cooked for me before all my fights and she knows I like Scotch bonnet peppers. Before the Golota, fight my stomach started to hurt and I asked my mom what type of peppers she used. She said, ‘I couldn’t get Scotch bonnet, so I used other ones.’ I get in the ring, my stomach is really hurting and then Golota pisses me off by looking at me funny. I was in no mood to hang around. The fans see the fight, but they don’t know the stories leading up to it.” (laughs) Lewis KO 1

https://www.ringtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/GTD-RD7.jpg

Shannon Briggs
March 28, 1998. Atlantic City:

“That was a battle between two young heavyweights. It was two guys who were the future. Briggs was making a lot of noise in New York, saying he was going to be the next champion. He said that he was going to knock me out. His best punches were the jab and a quick left hook, and he had good handspeed. But once I solved that problem, he was history. Briggs showed a lot of heart in that fight.” Lewis TKO 5

ROUND 8
Evander Holyfield
March 13, 1999. New York:

“I beat him but nobody in America wanted me to win the undisputed championship. We had the British crowd over in New York – it was like the whole of England was there – and it was just disappointing that people traveled all that way for a draw. Holyfield knew he’d lost and we still argue about that to this day. (laughs) He says that’s what the judges decided and he says it was a close fight.” (laughs) Draw

ROUND 9

Evander Holyfield II
November 13, 1999. Las Vegas:

“I did it once and now they want me to do it again. Holyfield knows I’m dangerous and now he’s prepared for me. When you watch that fight, you can see that Holyfield really tried, but I just had to do the same thing again. He boxed a better fight, but he lost because of history and it’s no fault of his. He lost because a good big guy always beats a good small guy.” Lewis UD 12

ROUND 10

Hasim Rahman II
November 17, 2001. Las Vegas:

“It’s fair to say this was my best performance, because I was so focused on avenging the loss. I just really wanted to get this guy in the ring. I had to chase Rahman down to get the rematch, and finally a judge said to him, ‘Did you sign (a rematch clause)?’ and Rahman says yes. The judge said, ‘Well you have to fight him!’ The rematch went absolutely to plan and the knockout was perfect. It was Christmas just after that fight, and I had an unbelievable Christmas.” Lewis KO 4

Mike Tyson
June 8, 2002. Memphis, Tennessee:

“The fight went the way I expected. Tyson is always dangerous, but Manny Steward said that it would be my easiest fight. Manny wanted me to knock him out sooner because from the outside he could see that Tyson wasn’t himself. I just wasn’t taking any chances in there, because I’m a firm believer in the fact that we have 12 rounds. Manny wanted it done sooner, and I wanted to wait a little longer.” Lewis KO 8

ROUND 12

Vitali Klitschko
June 21, 2003. Los Angeles:

“I wasn’t prepared properly, but Manny and HBO pushed for that fight. I was meant to fight Kirk Johnson and then it got changed, but they said we should go ahead and fight on that date. At the end of the day, I’m a professional – a champion – and this was a 12-round fight. It doesn’t matter if Klitschko was ahead after six rounds. Things change in a fight. He was cut by a punch, he was bleeding and he lost.” Lewis TKO 6

THE DECISION

“I was in the boxing game for a long time and there had to be a get-out plan. The get-out plan was win all the belts and retire. Once I’d accomplished that – boom – it was easy. I learned from past champions. I would tell people that Muhammad Ali was my hero and people would ask, ‘Do you think he held on too long?’ I never forgot that.”

Cue rapturous cheers and applause.

Hes still ferocious but I hope hes not planning to actually fight anybody, it wouldn't be pretty.

poleglass red

sad to see the passing of australian boxing legend Hector Thompson. Tough fighter who fought Duran back in 73 for the title and also Cervantes for it also, both fights in Panama. He lost both, but, competed gamely in each title challenge.He had a tough upbringing like many fighters, and passed away aged 70.

Inter Yer Nan

sad to see the passing of australian boxing legend Hector Thompson. Tough fighter who fought Duran back in 73 for the title and also Cervantes for it also, both fights in Panama. He lost both, but, competed gamely in each title challenge.He had a tough upbringing like many fighters, and passed away aged 70.
Really tough, strong fighter. Duran had a healthy amount of respect for him and that was Duran's prime. I've been meaning to read up a bit more on some of those older Aussie fighters beyond the world famous ones like Rose, Famechon, Fenech etc;

RIP.

Luke1995

Thoughts on what kind of matchup would draw more fan interest for Tyson's potential return ? (For charity, more likely)

G-manc

The third Wilder fight is so unnecessary. He has beaten the guy twice, the second time the most brutal, now to beat him a third time?
I think it was Wilder's right as an option to so therefore unavoidable. I'm not sure anyone is really bothered about seeing it again.

cyberman

Imagine being Wilder. About to get his ass kicked for a third time knowng Fury has the 2 pay days coming up that he stupidly fecked away.

Deery

Dreary
I just hope Fury doesn’t take the eye off the ball with the Wilder fight and trains properly for it.
Worst thing that could happen is a Wilder KO and he is very capable of it.