The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
A clear Tyson win but at the end of the day it’s an exhibition, i imagine Tyson fans got a huge kick out of it and if you put money on it well...

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Yeah but his promotional company is dying. Canelo has left and Ryan Garcia is his only remaining star... Oscar fighting again would make that two stars I guess.
To the casuals, yes, but Vergil Ortíz is the best fighter in that stable.

I thought the Tyson Jones fight was great. Tyson's style is still unmistakable after all these years, everything is slower now but hes still got that ferocity in him.

I'm not sure it translates beyond one exhibition match but still good to see, and a lot better than that awful Jake Paul effort. He had the audacity to call out Conor McGregor afterwards. Any pro would kill him.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I thought the Tyson Jones fight was great. Tyson's style is still unmistakable after all these years, everything is slower now but hes still got that ferocity in him.

I'm not sure it translates beyond one exhibition match but still good to see, and a lot better than that awful Jake Paul effort. He had the audacity to call out Conor McGregor afterwards. Any pro would kill him.
Who wouldn't love to see him sparked out in seconds though. I really hope he's that much of an idiot. Seems it.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Who wouldn't love to see him sparked out in seconds though. I really hope he's that much of an idiot. Seems it.
Both him and his brother are, in fairness they both have decent technique but they’d be all at sea against anyone credible. It’s just a marketing ploy for their brands calling out the big stars. They’ll both likely step in to the ring again to fight other non boxers.

Both him and his brother are, in fairness they both have decent technique but they’d be all at sea against anyone credible. It’s just a marketing ploy for their brands calling out the big stars. They’ll both likely step in to the ring again to fight other non boxers.
I think he must know it. Hes far too loose and that blind swinging attack would be easy meat for a real fighter. Stick to talking about it and fighting random celebrities.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Just watched the DDD vs Joyce fight. Mike tyson at his age still has better movement than both of them. DDD was just too easy to hit, no movement in his head at all.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What disappointed me about DuBois the most was his appetite for a bout in which he didn't have everything his own way. A lot of things about him will be questioned now, not least his heart. It's all well and good pulping people who shouldn't even be in the ring with you, but when you're presented with someone who doesn't go down, and can take hits to give some, it looks bad that you then have little to no interest in the bout.

I thought he was made of sterner stuff than that.

passing-wind

Spence / Garcia on the 5th. Expecting a great bout, will be interesting to see how Spence performs after such a dangerous car accident.

passing-wind

What disappointed me about DuBois the most was his appetite for a bout in which he didn't have everything his own way. A lot of things about him will be questioned now, not least his heart. It's all well and good pulping people who shouldn't even be in the ring with you, but when you're presented with someone who doesn't go down, and can take hits to give some, it looks bad that you then have little to no interest in the bout.

I thought he was made of sterner stuff than that.
Always thought Dubois was hype. I've not see him ringside but he's always looked too flat for me, no angles and square. Joyce jabbed his way to victory, think they are both domestic level talent.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Always thought Dubois was hype. I've not see him ringside but he's always looked too flat for me, no angles and square. Joyce jabbed his way to victory, think they are both domestic level talent.
Think you're doing JJ an injustice there, mate.
I see him as being in the same class as someone like Joseph Parker or Andy Ruiz. Someone who can shock an underprepared top fighter and nick a version of the title for a short time.

bsCallout

Joyce could mix it with any heavyweight. He'd do rounds with Fury and he'd eat some big shots from Joshua but would cause him issues with that jab.

He probably has the second best jab in the division.

I don't really get how anyone can say DD is hype. He's 23. Fury at that age was still two years off fighting Cunningham who dropped him.

DD will come again and hopefully go through the levels. In 9 years he'd be the same age as Fury who is only now really mixing it with the best.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Joyce could mix it with any heavyweight. He'd do rounds with Fury and he'd eat some big shots from Joshua but would cause him issues with that jab.

He probably has the second best jab in the division.

I don't really get how anyone can say DD is hype. He's 23. Fury at that age was still two years off fighting Cunningham who dropped him.

DD will come again and hopefully go through the levels. In 9 years he'd be the same age as Fury who is only now really mixing it with the best.
Because we live in a world of recency bias and after timing.
Apologies to anyone who came on here and predicted a heavy loss for DD before the fight.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's fair comment to mention his age and lack of experience, as was done by @bsCallout, but I did think he had things you mentioned in his locker, but had had no means or reason to use them yet, given he's had cans thrown at him.

Joyce's endurance, punch resistance, power and appetite for a full on war, really seemed to shell Dubois up; perhaps the stark contrast between what he had been fighting and the jump up to Joyce's level was a shock; it just felt like the last place he wanted to be was in the ring the moment things got difficult, which wasn't the impression I'd had of him who was robotically obsessed with objectives to the point people deem him to have no 'personality' or charisma.

His road to recovery will be an interesting one. His handlers have a few tough decisions to make on how to take him back up to that level, too. I don't know what benefit tomato cans have for him - he's already shown he can take them out no bother.

cj_sparky

Yarde needs a new trainer, someone who is going to be honest to him and not blow smoke up his arse.

Arthur fought one handed for one reason or another. Thought he won it by at least a couple of rounds, the judge who gave it so wide to Yarde was embarrassing.

predator

Youth NITK
Yeah I watched it thought Arthur won it easy enough Yarde didn’t do enough
It wasn't conclusive but Arthur deserved the win i guess. I found it pretty tricky to score over the 12 rounds as it was a, let's say, forgettable fight.

Is it just me or has boxing become so much more unpredictable since the pandemic?

Having said that I dont watch boxing religiously like I used to, so my observation may only apply to the bigger name fights this year.

Deery

Dreary
It wasn't conclusive but Arthur deserved the win i guess. I found it pretty tricky to score over the 12 rounds as it was a, let's say, forgettable fight.

Is it just me or has boxing become so much more unpredictable since the pandemic?

Having said that I dont watch boxing religiously like I used to, so my observation may only apply to the bigger name fights this year.
Not too unpredictable if you’re watching matchroom they just throw everyone in against tin cans, BT however seem to put on more 50/50 fights were the favourite has lost last two main events so maybe a bit unpredictable I guess.

G-manc

Yarde made himself look a right tool on the interviews. Deluded fool with a load of cheerleaders in his corner thinking he can walk through everyone. He fell short with his punches all night cos like Andy Lee alluded to, he can't punch and move his feet. How arrogant do you need to be to do no sparring.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
It seems Garcia and his team accepted a respectable defeat. It’s was clear very early on he wasn’t going to outbox or outwork Spence but he never tried to shift gears. Quite disappointing most fighters these days never lay it all on the line. How about Sebastian Fundora, 6’6 fighting at 154lbs :eek:

TrustInOle

Grew up with Lyndon in Moston, Lightbowne estate. Absolutely buzzing for him, Yarde had no answer to his Jab, similar to the Joyce win. Hoping he can push on and get a world title shot.