The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Deery

Dreary
That Daniel Kinahan show is on in half an hour on BBC1 for anyone that’s interested..

Deery

Dreary
Wow what an incredible watch that was, the amount of money the Kinahan’s must’ve made out of drugs in Ireland and around the world must be amazing to take over boxing like that.

Very interesting watch for a Monday night..

F-Red

That Daniel Kinahan show is on in half an hour on BBC1 for anyone that’s interested..
I'm guessing that show is why Tyson Fury didn't want to be put forward for the Sports Personality of the Year award.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I'm guessing that show is why Tyson Fury didn't want to be put forward for the Sports Personality of the Year award.
He doesn’t come across well at all.

Deery

Dreary
This is exactly why but Hearn, Warren and Arum didn’t exactly do to well out of it either.

kidbob

Anyone who supports the Kinanhans is an absolute scumbag and that includes Fury who has always had shitty views, despite his impressive comeback form depression and the fact he's the best HW boxer in the World. Anyone who supports him over AJ needs to give their head a wobble because Fury is a homophobic, hyper religious and crime supporting piece of shit. Always funny how these big believers in Jesus are so willing to support murderous bastards. I hope Kinahan is brought back to Ireland to face justice and if not I hope the fecker gets whats coming to him in the criminal world, and I hope its not a quick ordeal.

Deery

Dreary
I wonder if SKY will drop Matthew Macklin from comms after this seems like he’s up to his neck in it to..

Classical Mechanic

So that’s why Jamie Moore was shot at the MGM gym a few years back. Caught in the middle of some dispute?

Boxing has always been this way though. Don King was a gangster who had taken the life of two men before he got into boxing.

Classical Mechanic

BBC News - Panorama: BBC team threatened following Boxing and the Mob programme
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55956375

Some balls on this bunch.

Keep waiting to hear Barry McGuigan has been found floating in a canal.
Its massive overreach now though, his downfall seen inevitable.

I watched the documentary and Lou Dibella shrugged off Kinahan’s involvement in boxing as par for the course. I‘d agree because historically there always has been the mob and assorted villains in boxing. Although perhaps in the modern more exposed digital world it has become unsustainable for criminals to operate in such a public facing business at the highest level.

Last edited:

Oggmonster

BBC News - Panorama: BBC team threatened following Boxing and the Mob programme
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55956375

Some balls on this bunch.

Keep waiting to hear Barry McGuigan has been found floating in a canal.

I think McGuigan is probably somewhat safer than others who didn't appear cos of who he is. Be a bit dodgy if anything happened to him now after all that.

I listen to Frampton podcast and heard a few interviews with him since his split from Barry and whilst the McGuigans are definitely no angels it was always a really dodgy split.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Just a bit drunk and remembering this entrance rather than boxing itself, sorry actual boxing fans but I think this was cool as feck.

bsCallout

I think McGuigan is probably somewhat safer than others who didn't appear cos of who he is. Be a bit dodgy if anything happened to him now after all that.

I listen to Frampton podcast and heard a few interviews with him since his split from Barry and whilst the McGuigans are definitely no angels it was always a really dodgy split.
Might just be me but I felt Frampton became arrogant AF after that split. Didn't even know who he'd mixed up with.

Oggmonster

Might just be me but I felt Frampton became arrogant AF after that split. Didn't even know who he'd mixed up with.
Can see what you mean, I don't mind him he's pretty funny on his podcast and also brutally honest about his fights which is rare in the boxing industry but yeah can see why some wouldn't be a fan.

bsCallout

Bleugh.
Wow. It's one thing to say that he'd been nice when you've met him but to say hes not only of the nicest people you've met and you need him in the sport.

He needs locking up, that is all.

Can't believe he'd release that. Just keep quiet.

Deery

Dreary

Bleugh.
Was coming in here to post this bloody disgusting considering Kinahan was responsible for the massive heroin problem in Ireland, you can guarantee Khan has got his pockets lined for this tweet money grabbing wee rat.

Inter Yer Nan

I saw Frampton's recent comments about "despising" the McGuigans and having genuine hatred for them. They've always came across well to me, and I am a fan of Barry, but makes you wonder when you see some of the splits he's had. It's boxing though and that is fairly common.

bsCallout

I saw Frampton's recent comments about "despising" the McGuigans and having genuine hatred for them. They've always came across well to me, and I am a fan of Barry, but makes you wonder when you see some of the splits he's had. It's boxing though and that is fairly common.
I'd have thought the same until you realise they've all been poached and ditched the McGuigans because a gangster came calling. I can imagine the McGuigans became pretty annoyed after that.

poleglass red

I watched the programme last night, I have to say it was very underwhelming. Without sounding like a know it all, I'm Irish and I follow boxing, I know about the Kinahan family and their connection to crime. I didn't learn anything really from the doc. A lot of accusations that we know haven't stuck in courts. I'm not a fan of MacIntyre, I find he sensationalises everything. Some of the people giving input, weren't exactly the best, tabloid reporters from the Sunday World and the Irish Sun. Barry McGuigan, whose name is in the mud right now and to be honest has been for a few years. It's an open secret that Frampton got by the far the better deal in their recent court case. He's on a damage limitation course right now because any decent young fighter coming out of Britain or Ireland would have grave concerns about working with his family. Even the US lawyer who give input, his client is one of the managers whose fighters jumped ship. As McIntyre asked McGuigan, isn't it sour grapes, I think that's what it is. If McGuigan treated his fighters correctly they wouldn't be getting their heads turned. Remember McGuigan's next big fighter coming along was Josh Taylor, he left McGuigan citing McGuigans broke "various breaches of contract" . There's 2 for a starts in last year or two who have threatened or indeed pursued court cases with him. I believe it was Lou Dibella towards end of the doc that said boxing is like the "wild west" and always has been. I think that's spot on , boxing has always had shady characters, I just feel Kinahan is taking it to the next level with his ties to criminality. It's sad that criminals could have control over the sport we love, but I honestly don't see an end to it.

poleglass red

Not really. The mob literally ran US boxing in the 50s. As you can imagine the corruption was off the scale. There were characters like Frankie Carbo among the most powerful promotors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankie_Carbo
As I said boxing has always had it's shady characters, maybe I should have said for us in Ireland and Britain it's maybe taking it up a notch. Promoters in these lands have always been dodgy, often with ties to criminal links, in this case he is the criminal running the show. There's also been whispers in recent years re mexican cartel money in boxing, I've seen the headlines, just never read into it to know a lot about it. As referenced in the doc, there isn't an overaching body that runs boxing, and that's maybe why its seems a desirable way to launder money and try to legitimise themselves as businessmen.

Classical Mechanic

As I said boxing has always had it's shady characters, maybe I should have said for us in Ireland and Britain it's maybe taking it up a notch. Promoters in these lands have always been dodgy, often with ties to criminal links, in this case he is the criminal running the show. There's also been whispers in recent years re mexican cartel money in boxing, I've seen the headlines, just never read into it to know a lot about it. As referenced in the doc, there isn't an overaching body that runs boxing, and that's maybe why its seems a desirable way to launder money and try to legitimise themselves as businessmen.
For the UK and Ireland you're right.

The lack of a central controlling body is a cause of a lot of the corruption. I do think this element has given boxing a dark allure though. If you look at sport films, Boxing is overrepresented when it comes to truly great movies in the history of cinema. I think a lot of the darkness, shady characters and drama behind the scenes contributes to those great stories.

Deery

Dreary
Good wee scrap here with Kiko Martinez.

Looking forward to the Josh Warrington v Lara fight coming up next.