The RedCafe Boxing Thread

SuperiorXI

He fought a great champion who put in a garbage performance on the night. He was in far better form for his fight with AJ.
What's that got to do with Fury? How does that mean his win was 'barely scraped'? Load of nonsense.

BTW I agree that the Vlad that fought AJ was in better form but that doesn't take much away from Fury's win. In fact I am sure that even if Vlad was in the same form Fury would have adapted the same tactic and it would have been just as successful.

JP77

Joshua beat a better version of that Wlad.
What’s that even based on though? Styles make fights which is why the Joshua fight was so different. Neither Joshua or Fury should be downplayed for their wins against Wlad but the idea he was a completely different fighter within the space of a year and a half is insane, especially at his age because if anything you'd expect the fighter to get worst, not better.

I'd say Wlad looked so different in the two fights because of the above, two completely different fighters and styles. Just because the Joshua fight was a more entertaining fight doesn't back up the argument that he fought a better Wlad. Klitschko hadn't lost in around 11 years at the time, Fury going to Germany and comfortably beating him was a fantastic achievement.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
What's that got to do with Fury? How does that mean his win was 'barely scraped'? Load of nonsense.

BTW I agree that the Vlad that fought AJ was in better form but that doesn't take much away from Fury's win. In fact I am sure that even if Vlad was in the same form Fury would have adapted the same tactic and it would have been just as successful.
It ties directly to my point that his rabid fan base who treat him as the 2nd coming of Christ because he edged out a fighter putting in a garbage performance like he pulled a miracle and one for the ages upset out of the bag is misplaced. Nobody even talked about him before that fight, all of a sudden after that he's the greatest boxer ever to have lived and would knock out Tyson inside of 20 seconds, it's nauseating.

SuperiorXI

It ties directly to my point that his rabid fan base who treat him as the 2nd coming of Christ because he edged out a fighter putting in a garbage performance like he pulled a miracle and one for the ages upset out of the bag is misplaced. Nobody even talked about him before that fight, all of a sudden after that he's the greatest boxer ever to have lived and would knock out Tyson inside of 20 seconds, it's nauseating.
It was no garbage performance. At a pure boxing level it was an elite performance. Fury went in with a gameplan and executed it to perfection... exactly like he did vs Wilder in his most recent fight which was a completely different style. This shows his range as a great champion.

How did he get a shot at all those belts if nobody talked about him?

Sounds as though you have some major chip on your shoulder with regards to Fury.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What’s that even based on though? Styles make fights which is why the Joshua fight was so different. Neither Joshua or Fury should be downplayed for their wins against Wlad but the idea he was a completely different fighter within the space of a year and a half is insane, especially at his age because if anything you'd expect the fighter to get worst, not better.

I'd say Wlad looked so different in the two fights because of the above, two completely different fighters and styles. Just because the Joshua fight was a more entertaining fight doesn't back up the argument that he fought a better Wlad. Klitschko hadn't lost in around 11 years at the time, Fury going to Germany and comfortably beating him was a fantastic achievement.
He looked different because, quite literally, he was different. He was the lightest he had been in nearly a decade when he returned to fight Joshua. He was used to knocking out bums off the back of a stiff jab for most of that time. He had been mechanical in his approach, not required to change anything, not having to consider his opponents plan. He was given a rude awakening by Fury and was clearly completely unprepared for the fight. It's a shame he never got his rematch. I would've been a far closer fight.

Kazi

I don’t buy the argument that Wlad underestimated Fury. He knew exactly what he was going up against - he tried putting a memory foam mattress under the whole ring in Germany to stop Fury’s movement.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
It was no garbage performance. At a pure boxing level it was an elite performance. Fury went in with a gameplan and executed it to perfection... exactly like he did vs Wilder in his most recent fight which was a completely different style. This shows his range as a great champion.

How did he get a shot at all those belts if nobody talked about him?

Sounds as though you have some major chip on your shoulder with regards to Fury.
It was one of the worst performances of Wlad's career, you can't romanticize it to make Fury come out better. He went to points against a worse version of Wlad that Joshua knocked down twice.

Inter Yer Nan

It was one of the worst performances of Wlad's career, you can't romanticize it to make Fury come out better. He went to points against a worse version of Wlad that Joshua knocked down twice.
Not sure how much "worse" he was. Against Joshua, he was about two years older and accumulated something like 15-16 months out of the ring. Both of those are big factors when considering Wlad's age. Also, Joshua was very close to losing that fight. Credit to him for gutting it out and winning in a great fight but Fury totally befuddled Wlad and executed his game plan to perfection. It was terrible, but so are many of Mayweather's fights but he got the dominant win in a high pressure situation on the road while Wlad was reigning and on top.

TheReligion

Abusive
Not sure how much "worse" he was. Against Joshua, he was about two years older and accumulated something like 15-16 months out of the ring. Both of those are big factors when considering Wlad's age. Also, Joshua was very close to losing that fight. Credit to him for gutting it out and winning in a great fight but Fury totally befuddled Wlad and executed his game plan to perfection. It was terrible, but so are many of Mayweather's fights but he got the dominant win in a high pressure situation on the road while Wlad was reigning and on top.
Also worth noting Fury did him in Germany on the scorecards. Pretty impressive in itself.

Inter Yer Nan

For all the UK members, which I understand is almost all of you. My book is now officially available to purchase ahead of the global release tomorrow. The story of the greatest bantamweight of all-time and a fighter so great he was ranked by The Ring and The International Boxing Research Organization as one of the top 20 boxers of all-time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eder-Jofre...XXY5aGQOnDJ_bCTlK1I4ZDUv7stj2vU54AHEoAzR2Hs24

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eder-Jofre-Brazils-Boxing-Champion/dp/1949783057/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=eder jofre&qid=1616704673&sr=8-1&fbclid=IwAR33Lpl9rqzHQbXXY5aGQOnDJ_bCTlK1I4ZDUv7stj2vU54AHEoAzR2Hs24

Abraxas

I felt like Fury v Wlad was a commendable performance by Fury in the sense he went in, comfortably won the fight and didn't take anything in return, which is a nice way to win a heavyweight title. It's also partly due to the fact Wlad is a very gunshy fighter at the best of times and Fury's size and ability didn't really allow him to get his usual 1-2 combination going. He's not the type of fighter that has another way to fight, or that is going to take undue risk even if the fight is slipping away, so it pretty much settled into a pattern of Fury edging rounds.

But I certainly wouldn't put it down as a memorable display of boxing beyond the fact that Fury went to Germany and pulled off a great win. I would struggle to imagine anybody would want to watch that again. It wasn't in the slightest bit entertaining, there wasn't much in the way of action or quality punches landed.

Deery

Dreary
Same. He looks in good shape though. Povetkin looks soft, I think he's come to lie down
Povetkin also had corona virus not long ago I don’t think he wins tonight but I hope he does.

Looking at the undercard it’s nothing really inspiring tbh Ted Cheeseman and Campbell Hatton and the like very disappointing.

fergies coat

Should be a good fight tonight. I know a lot of people don't like Whyte. I don't mind him to be honest. More often than not he provides good entertainment, and is in a good scrap.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Whyte is overwhelming favourite with the bookies. Bias aside, what is everyones opinion on the winner?
Whyte. He’ll stick to the game plan this time knowing that Povetkin is to dangerous to switch off again.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Why do people dislike Whyte? He’s a fairly unassuming bloke and his fights are always fun

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Whyte is overwhelming favourite with the bookies. Bias aside, what is everyones opinion on the winner?
I went for some knee physio in June ‘19 at Loughborough Uni. Whyte turned up with his entourage and my appointment got delayed for an hour.

I hope Povetkin wins.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Why do people dislike Whyte? He’s a fairly unassuming bloke and his fights are always fun
He talks some massive amounts of shit, never gives it a rest. Was always a big mouthed dickhead. Obviously a lot of boxers are like this, but his gobshiting out weighs his boxing ability, when it needs to be the other way round really

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
He talks some massive amounts of shit, never gives it a rest. Was always a big mouthed dickhead. Obviously a lot of boxers are like this, but his gobshiting out weighs his boxing ability, when it needs to be the other way round really
Probably says a lot for the general shit-talking by boxers but I honestly hadn’t noticed Whyte being any worse than the average

Deery

Dreary
Because he’s been built up to be some kind of PPV star when he’s not really that good, £20 a pop will get folk riled up..

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Because he’s been built up to be some kind of PPV star when he’s not really that good, £20 a pop will get folk riled up..
Actually I reckon he’s good value in terms of entertainment, relatively speaking. Not that I’d pay money for tonight but I don’t have to so I’m not judging him on that

Deery

Dreary
Actually I reckon he’s good value in terms of entertainment, relatively speaking. Not that I’d pay money for tonight but I don’t have to so I’m not judging him on that
I’ll be firmly in the Povetkin corner tonight but he doesn’t look in great shape, hopefully he can use his boxing ability though and get the win.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I’ll be firmly in the Povetkin corner tonight but he doesn’t look in great shape, hopefully he can use his boxing ability though and get the win.
It’ll be over for Whyte if Povetkin wins