The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Deery

Dreary
Why’d the ref stop it, that’s pissed me off knowing we’ll have to suffer this cnut for another 6 months at least.

Didn’t Snoop Dogg bet 2m on him as well this is bullshit on another level.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Can’t believe I spent 17 quid on this shit.

Paxi

I’ll respect Jake Paul if he goes up against Bisping next. I think Bisping would obviously be up for it.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Everyone wants to see Jake Paul humbled but it was obvious before the fight that Askren wasn’t going to be the one to do it.

It’s not ‘fake’ or ‘rigged’, it’s just someone taking the $500k and not caring.

Deery

Dreary
Everyone wants to see Jake Paul humbled but it was obvious before the fight that Askren wasn’t going to be the one to do it.

How’s it not rigged barely got touched went down like a ton of bricks, got up in like 5 seconds and the ref waves it off?!?!?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This fight was like making love to a beautiful woman. You talk it up beforehand, play some Snoop in the background to get you in the mood, and then it's over in a blink of an eye and you're 20 quid out of pocket.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Thankfully went and put a £10 on Paul KO/TKO round 1. It was the worst case scenario in terms of match result, so had to be done.

I was really hoping that Askren could just drain him for a few rounds and then stop him in the 6/7th. A fool’s hope.

Somebody needs to knock this fecker out.

Paxi

Twitter is the fecking worst. I have to keep reminding myself that.. and then breathe. :lol:

ivaldo

Askren is a wet lettuce, but he's absorbed far bigger beatings than that. I'm not surprised people think he took a dive.

Dan_F

What was the ref doing? He had his gloves up and nodded his head to say he was okay. I’m glad I avoided most of the build up to this though, I’ll be more interested to see him get starched by someone like McGregor or Bisping.

Paxi

Seriously though. There is no way ‘Askew’ took a dive there. You can clearly see his head snap back and forth before his limp body hits the canvas. That’s not to say he didn’t recover quite quickly, because he did but he took that fecking dig full on.

In any case, he’s an embarrassment to the MMA world.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Askren is a wet lettuce, but he's absorbed far bigger beatings than that. I'm not surprised people think he took a dive.
People forget that boxing gloves are heavier than MMA gloves, which make a difference. Being able to absorb hard shots in MMA doesn’t necessarily mean he can absorb hard shots in boxing. Also, has he ever fought anyone that big before?

Paxi

People forget that boxing gloves are heavier than MMA gloves, which make a difference. Being able to absorb hard shots in MMA doesn’t necessarily mean he can absorb hard shots in boxing. Also, has he ever fought anyone that big before?
He fought Robbie Lawler whom rag dolled him and then ground-n-pounded his fecking head into the next dimension. Though, I’m convinced I’d rather take 4-5 digs to the head with next to no kinetic energy rather than one clean hook to the temple.

Deery

Dreary
Seriously though. There is no way ‘Askew’ took a dive there. You can clearly see his head snap back and forth before his limp body hits the canvas. That’s not to say he didn’t recover quite quickly, because he did but he took that fecking dig full on.

In any case, he’s an embarrassment to the MMA world.
His head didn’t snap back and if you look at it it’s a hook albeit a very bad one that glances him, it’s not a full on punch to the head. The only way you’re knocking someone out there is if it’s a temple shot.

ivaldo

True, but also have more padding and can't be thrown with as much velocity. From the limited research I've seen on the matter, it looks like there isn't a whole lot of difference. Bas Rutten once tested it on a heavy bag and the difference was negligible, with the MMA gloves coming out marginally on top. I'm not saying it's a definite dive, but that it isn't outrageous to think it could be.

Edit: Found the link

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He fought Robbie Lawler whom rag dolled him and then ground-n-pounded his fecking head into the next dimension. Though, I’m convinced I’d rather take 4-5 digs to the head with next to no kinetic energy rather than one clean hook to the temple.
@Pogue Mahone to be fair those ground and pound shots were pretty fecking vicious.

Ground and pound shots don’t rattle the brain as much as a punch standing up. Apparently rotational force is most likely to concuss you. Which is why a hook on the jaw or temple so often knocks fighters out.

I’m not saying it wasn’t a fix. I didn’t even watch the fight. I just don’t think surviving a ground and pound in an MMA fight means he can’t get knocked out by a much bigger man in a boxing match. We already know yer man has heavy hands. Even if he is a bit shit, technically.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Did look pretty suspect, but Askren was never really going to win that, was he? Or rather - he didn’t care enough to win that. He got a massive purse and came in like he hadn’t done a days training.

cyberman

But mma fights arent stopped like last night. If Askren gets up in the middle of the cage and and prepares to go again then he would be allowed to continue and fables about his chin would live on.

Paxi

His head didn’t snap back and if you look at it it’s a hook albeit a very bad one that glances him, it’s not a full on punch to the head. The only way you’re knocking someone out there is if it’s a temple shot.

Watch the knock down from this angle. From the connection with Paul’s right to Askren’s movement of his head and then subsequent fall. That wasn’t a dive. Not a chance.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Watch the knock down from this angle. From the connection with Paul’s right to Askren’s movement of his head and then subsequent fall. That wasn’t a dive. Not a chance.
That’s clearly a legitimate lockdown. He was even stiff legged on the way down. Out cold for a second or two.

Deery

Dreary

Look at his footwork though his feet are basically together when the punch lands a feather would have knocked him over, not saying he didn’t take a punch but I don’t think it’s a fight ending one.

bsCallout

It wasn't a dive but it was an early stoppage which is to be expected in a pointless fight like this.

Jake isnt a bad boxer that's for sure but the fact he's earning millions pretending he's great by not fighting an actual boxer or even a striker, is horrible to see.

Paxi

Ground and pound shots don’t rattle the brain as much as a punch standing up. Apparently rotational force is most likely to concuss you. Which is why a hook on the jaw or temple so often knocks fighters out.

I’m not saying it wasn’t a fix. I didn’t even watch the fight. I just don’t think surviving a ground and pound in an MMA fight means he can’t get knocked out by a much bigger man in a boxing match. We already know yer man has heavy hands. Even if he is a bit shit, technically.
Aye, I’ve had both. I can say with 100% confidence I can’t remember getting starched but I can sure as shit remember getting ground and pounded.
Look at his footwork though his feet are basically together when the punch lands a feather would have knocked him over, not saying he didn’t take a punch but I don’t think it’s a fight ending one.
Probably not a fight ending one. I’ve seen fighters in a worse state carry on. Also, first round too. Ref could have given him the benefit there but obviously it’s his call.

Paxi

It wasn't a dive but it was an early stoppage which is to be expected in a pointless fight like this.

Jake isnt a bad boxer that's for sure but the fact he's earning millions pretending he's great by not fighting an actual boxer or even a striker, is horrible to see.
It’s the fact that he has top coaches, top fighters sparring with him etc. He also quite clearly took this seriously where as Askren couldn’t give a shit.

Deery

Dreary
Look at this angle and tell me that’s a legit knockout punch?

Paxi

Someone took a dive in the fight before though. It was actually embarrassing. They got carried out on a stretcher after a body shot which more or less a connection with a forearm.

Castia

They do this shit in boxing all the time, the first 15-20 fights of a fighters career are usually against bums with 1 win 38 loss records, just look at Tommy Fury the sport is a complete joke.

What the hell was this event? I mean If somebody said visualise the internet they would show this, I feel like I need to spend the next few weeks offline.

markhughes

Why is he fighting guys who are 20 llbs lighter than him? I’d have a bit more respect for him if he came up by fighting other young professionals in his weight class like any other fighter.

All these silly exhibitions are doing nothing for boxing, I can’t see what people see in it, if you like boxing then watch actual boxing and not this charade.

Paxi

I was against all of this initially but now I’m all for it. It brings attention to combat sports which is mostly positive. Also, it sends a positive message to Jake Pauls fans — he’s applying himself. If it gets a fraction of his fans to take notice and even maybe take up boxing then fecking hats off to him.

Paxi

I love the mini furore about boxing being rigged.

They clearly never saw GGG Canelo and the like.

Deery

Dreary
Have to say I think it’s a bullshit, these Logan fella’s are only in it for the money they don’t care about the popularity of the sport. I think it’s sad that Andrade v Williams was also on last night a legit world title fight but everyone is talking about a YouTubers circus going on instead.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ben Askren is a joke and the fact that fight went ahead with the total weight difference is daft in itself and very dangerous.

Why are people buying this and bothering. It's a total insult to combat sports.