The RedCafe Boxing Thread

M15 Red.

After watching the Blood, Sweat and Tears promo for Taylor vs Ramirez, I couldn't help but side with Ramirez. Maybe I'm being a bit soft, but Taylor came across as something of a shit talking, Poundland Conor McGregor. I get that Taylor is trying to hype the fight and build some animosity, but he came across as a right dick.

RedDevilRoshi

Get in there TTT Josh Taylor!! :D

Undisputed champ! :drool:

I thought over the whole fight in general, Ramirez was the slightly better fighter but Taylor’s two knockdowns proved decisive and ultimately won him the match.

I had it scored Taylor 114-112 (same as the judges). Again it’s those two knockdowns that proved decisive.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable fight and am absolutely delighted Edinburgh’s very own is undisputed champion of the world! :drool:

Last edited:

LDUred

Deserved win for Taylor. A great, and close fight but the judges got it right with 114-112 to Taylor. The two knockdowns were ultimately the difference.

In round three it looked as if Josh was going to get hustled out of there but he stuck to his guns and he timed Ramirez well.

Have to say that Josh is one hell of a boxer and a great undisputed champion.

LDUred

R1: Josh
R2: Josh/Ramirez
R3: Ramirez
R4: Ramirez
R5 Ramirez/Josh
R6: Josh (10-8)
R7: Josh (10-8)
R8: Josh
R9: Josh
R10: Ramirez
R11: Ramirez
R12: Ramirez

There was probably a case for Ramirez in R9 but it was a quiet round and Josh was in control.

Another thing, Bayliss clearly bought Ramirez about a week to recover after the second knockdown.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Hope Fury puts him to sleep this time.

So I’m guessing Joshua will be facing Usyk and the winners face each other? I’ve got a strange feeling it’ll be a banana skin and the Fury-Joshua fight may never materialise.
Yeah I'm guessing if Wylder wins there is a rematch clause for fury... and if he wins that a re re re rematch clause for wylder... so yeah I think unless fury wins it could be a while till Joshua fury could happen.

And yeah I'd guess Joshua also takes a fight and as we saw with ruiz anythings possible... but provided Joshua and wylder win I'd guess late 2021 or early 2022 for a unification bout... with an automatic rematch mid 2022

lsd

The Oracle
I'm bored of Wilder vs Fury, it has been done to death. I hate boxing politics.

I suppose Wilder did give Fury a shot when Joshua didn't want too so he is entitled to demand what is in his contract.

Not sure what he can do different to last time but will be entertaining i am sure and would much rather watch that than AJ and Usyk

SuperiorXI

I suppose Wilder did give Fury a shot when Joshua didn't want too so he is entitled to demand what is in his contract.

Not sure what he can do different to last time but will be entertaining i am sure and would much rather watch that than AJ and Usyk
Now that is one disappointing bout. No way am I forking out for that shit.

LDUred

I'm bored of Wilder vs Fury, it has been done to death. I hate boxing politics.
Fury and his team have fecked themselves a bit. It will be difficult for Tyson to get himself pumped for this fight having already outclassed Wilder, who for all his limitations remains a very dangerous opponent.

Kazi

I think both sides knew that Fury Wilder 3 was going to happen next and the Fury Joshua “negotiations” were just created to build the fight for later this year / next year when they can get more money for it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Can Usyk upset Joshua? He is miles better, though of course, size matters a lot.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Eh? He gave Fury a shot but he turned it down because he wanted 50/50. Despite, at the time, having no belts and no record of drawing the sort of crowd AJ routinely got.

SuperiorXI

Can Usyk upset Joshua? He is miles better, though of course, size matters a lot.
I don't think he has any chance. While Joshua's boxing isn't his biggest strength, he isn't exactly a novice. Once Usyk gets hit it's goodnight. He doesn't belong in the ring with AJ, it's a mismatch and a farce.

LDUred

He's beaten Chisora and Witherspoon but nothing in those fights screamed, 'heavyweight title contender'. He beat Derek mostly by getting on his bike but is he really going to pull that out against Joshua. More to the point, is Joshua even going to let him? AJ looked lighter on his feet in his last two fights and he showed against Pulev that he can still get a big man out of there. At some point Usyk is going to have to engage.

Usyk might be rushing this because AJ is two or three steps up from a Chisora. I would have arranged a fight with a Breazeale or a Martin and tried to work a bit on his power punches and get a stoppage or two.

Last edited:

JP77

Usyk is the perfect opponent for Joshua and Hearn. A guy that is quite clearly beatable and has been massively overhyped in the UK, so much so that if Joshua beats him the usual pundits etc here in the UK can make a huge deal out of it to build up Joshua even more to the public. It’s a dream come true for Joshua and Hearn if it happens.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The absolute scenes if Wilder melts Fury with one of those big right hands. It’s unlikely but it’d be funny as hell

markhughes

Usyk is the perfect opponent for Joshua and Hearn. A guy that is quite clearly beatable and has been massively overhyped in the UK, so much so that if Joshua beats him the usual pundits etc here in the UK can make a huge deal out of it to build up Joshua even more to the public. It’s a dream come true for Joshua and Hearn if it happens.
I actually think that Usyk is a nightmare opponent for Joshua, AJ has struggled with smaller, quick fighters in the past and Usyk is technical and quick enough to 'time him'. I do think Joshua wins if he can maintain the range but I don't see it being at all comfortable for him.

LDUred

I fully expect Wilder to unravel again but IMHO Fury gets more dislikable by the day and it’d be fitting after all his bullshit if Wilder took the title off him
Wilder needs to work on his inside game and on his timing. He's not used to big guys barreling forward at him. Surely Fury is just going to close the distance again and do all that leaning and smothering work up close.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Wilder needs to work on his inside game and on his timing. He's not used to big guys barreling forward at him. Surely Fury is just going to close the distance again and do all that leaning and smothering work up close.
Wilder needs to work on bloody everything :lol: I can’t see it happening but its the epitome of the ‘puncher chance’

Inter Yer Nan

Great fighter. Really hope he gets a fight at the castle whilst I'm living here.
I think they are going for that. He’s calling for a summer title defense. Hopefully it happens. I hope to see Taylor stay at his weight for a couple more years. There’s big fights at 140 and he has all the belts. A big one is if Teofimo Lopez moves up but I don’t get the impression Lopez would do it. He’s a big time diva and I’m sure will “act” like he wants it but price himself out or something. He’s already going back on his claims he’d fight Taylor in UK, and pulling the “A side” stuff, but saying Taylor is a “coward” if he moves up to fight Crawford if you can believe that.

Great fight for Taylor. Teofimo’s size advantage would go away against Taylor and his shorter reach would be an issue as he comes in against Taylor’s speed, movement, uppercuts, general shot selection.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I actually think that Usyk is a nightmare opponent for Joshua, AJ has struggled with smaller, quick fighters in the past and Usyk is technical and quick enough to 'time him'. I do think Joshua wins if he can maintain the range but I don't see it being at all comfortable for him.
Thoughts shared. Not sure where this ''clearly beatable'' fighter is. He's unbeaten and unified the cruiserweight division :lol:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I think they are going for that. He’s calling for a summer title defense. Hopefully it happens. I hope to see Taylor stay at his weight for a couple more years. There’s big fights at 140 and he has all the belts. A big one is if Teofimo Lopez moves up but I don’t get the impression Lopez would do it. He’s a big time diva and I’m sure will “act” like he wants it but price himself out or something. He’s already going back on his claims he’d fight Taylor in UK, and pulling the “A side” stuff, but saying Taylor is a “coward” if he moves up to fight Crawford if you can believe that.

Great fight for Taylor. Teofimo’s size advantage would go away against Taylor and his shorter reach would be an issue as he comes in against Taylor’s speed, movement, uppercuts, general shot selection.
What’s your thoughts on Lopez? His endlessly running mouth drives me mental, but do you reckon the talents there as well?

Inter Yer Nan

What’s your thoughts on Lopez? His endlessly running mouth drives me mental, but do you reckon the talents there as well?
He’s got good raw talent. But I’m not totally sold he’s generational. I think he edged Lomachenko because Loma didn’t let his hands go and because he was so much bigger than Loma, not really “better.” I also suspect Loma was nursing the injury, which after 15 months out, probably had him nervous early. I think that’s why Teo has totally shot down a rematch ever happening even though he begged for the shot/demanded it after beating nobody. So that shows poor character IMO.

I think he’ll lose his size advantage agaibst Taylor and we’ll see his level. A good fighter, good talent, but not as good as he thinks. I think he’s the biggest diva in the sport right now along with Ryan Garcia.

Inter Yer Nan

Thoughts shared. Not sure where this ''clearly beatable'' fighter is. He's unbeaten and unified the cruiserweight division :lol:
If Joshua keeps to the shape he was in for Ruiz, I like his chances more. The muscle bound Joshua who’d gas after a few rounds would have been stopped by Usyk, even though he’s not a puncher. He’s skilled and accurate, great engine, feet etc;

If Joshua has trained the right way and isn’t gassy, then he should be able to make it close enough to get an official win. Usyk is unlikely to get help on the cards with all the Fury money available. Joshua is stiff, robotic, a little slow, when compared to Usyk. I view it as something close to 50/50.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
He’s got good raw talent. But I’m not totally sold he’s generational. I think he edged Lomachenko because Loma didn’t let his hands go and because he was so much bigger than Loma, not really “better.” I also suspect Loma was nursing the injury, which after 15 months out, probably had him nervous early. I think that’s why Teo has totally shot down a rematch ever happening even though he begged for the shot/demanded it after beating nobody. So that shows poor character IMO.

I think he’ll lose his size advantage agaibst Taylor and we’ll see his level. A good fighter, good talent, but not as good as he thinks. I think he’s the biggest diva in the sport right now along with Ryan Garcia.
Yeah the Loma fight was strange, when Loma let his hands go he was clearly on top, he just took too long to do it. I’ll be rooting for Kambosos when they fight