The RedCafe Boxing Thread

LDUred

Fight with Helenius would be interesting but think Charles Martin will be next up for Dubois.

Absolute farce that but fair play to Dubois for doing what he had to do.

Last edited:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Former boxer Julius Francis successfully diffuses aggressive situation at Wembley Boxpark.

LDUred

Former boxer Julius Francis successfully diffuses aggressive situation at Wembley Boxpark.

I think Francis probably knew what he was doing because the guy would have just stomped off the premises ranting and raving and that would have been the end of it. As an ex-boxer Julius can obviously handle himself and maybe just fancied making a point.

But in saying that, he did raise his hand and step towards him so Francis had every right to raise his. At the end of the day he acted in self-defence.

Last edited:

LDUred

Anyone watching Beterbiev v Smith Jr?

Finished round 2!
It's a clear message to Canelo and Bivol from Beterbiev that he is the king of the division.

I expected him to beat Joe convincingly by stoppage but I did not expect that degree of annihilation. Joe is a tough guy but he was getting dropped with ease.

Actually, Canelo should maybe see how he fares against Joe Smith to see if he has any chance at all against Beterbiev. But that fight may convince him to step away from 175 and the Bivol rematch.

Last edited:

Vapor trail

Anyone watching Beterbiev v Smith Jr?

Finished round 2!
Expected more of a fight from Smith but it's easier said than done. Beterbiev is a type of fighter who raises his game to the level of opponent he's facing from what I've seen. The Bivol fight should be the only bout worth making and it's significance is big enough for the networks to come together in agreement. That's potentially three top class undisputed fights this year with Haney, Berterbiev and hopefully Crawford / Spence.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think Francis probably knew what he was doing because the guy would have just stomped off the premises ranting and raving and that would have been the end of it. As an ex-boxer Julius can obviously handle himself and maybe just fancied making a point.

But in saying that, he did raise his hand and step towards him so Francis had every right to raise his. At the end of the day he acted in self-defence.
Should have just crumpled him with a body shot, didn't need to spark him really. Just dangerous. Guy was a prick though, don't have too much sympathy.

Abraxas

Yeah, I don't think that's Francis' best idea. I get the backstory, the self defence and an instinctive reaction. But he's also a former professional heavyweight boxer, and now a security guard. Assessing risk is pretty much a required skill within those disciplines. Starching a guy onto concrete is taking the ultimate risk and it probably wasn't exactly proportionate to that final situation. Ah well, a lesson for that chap and glad he's okay.

DiceRoller

Dare I even put it in a boxing forum, but Jake Paul vs. Tommy Fury confirmed.

This will be massive. I can’t think of two boxers with a combined 14 fights that will generate this kind of hype or do these sort of numbers.

Deery

Dreary
Dare I even put it in a boxing forum, but Jake Paul vs. Tommy Fury confirmed.

This will be massive. I can’t think of two boxers with a combined 14 fights that will generate this kind of hype or do these sort of numbers.
Yeah massive :rolleyes:

Deery

Dreary
There won’t be many fights this year that will hit the ppv buys that does.
That’s if you believe the figures Jake Paul gives out,, and not one genuine boxing fan watching.

His last fight did 65k ppv’s which is pathetic.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That’s if you believe the figures Jake Paul gives out,, and not one genuine boxing fan watching.

Nobody cared about Paul vs Woodley 2. They wanted Fury, they now have that and I'd expect the views to go up a lot because people have an interest in Paul losing or Fury being humiliated.

Deery

Dreary
Nobody cared about Paul vs Woodley 2. They wanted Fury, they now have that and I'd expect the views to go up a lot because people have an interest in Paul losing or Fury being humiliated.
Can’t see them doing the views you expect them doing, will do more than 65k but I don’t think they’ll hit above an average PPV if even that.

DiceRoller

Can’t see them doing the views you expect them doing, will do more than 65k but I don’t think they’ll hit above an average PPV if even that.
Jake Paul put out the first promo video yesterday for it on YouTube and it did 534k views in 20 hours. Outside of McGregor, Mayweather or Canelo there's nobody else could generate that interest.

You'll have this pumped from every angle possible on social and then you'll have Tyson Fury getting involved. This is the brother of the heavyweight champion of the world fighting a guy who has 20m YouTube subscribers and one of the most divisive social media presences.

I'd say it would outdo arguably the best fight you could make now (Beterbiev vs. Bivol) outside of Spence Jr. vs. Crawford.

Deery

Dreary
Jake Paul put out the first promo video yesterday for it on YouTube and it did 534k views in 20 hours. Outside of McGregor, Mayweather or Canelo there's nobody else could generate that interest.

You'll have this pumped from every angle possible on social and then you'll have Tyson Fury getting involved. This is the brother of the heavyweight champion of the world fighting a guy who has 20m YouTube subscribers and one of the most divisive social media presences.

I'd say it would outdo arguably the best fight you could make now (Beterbiev vs. Bivol) outside of Spence Jr. vs. Crawford.
Not buying it Jeff, I think everybody has realised Jake Paul fights are garbage and will just get the highlights of YouTube the next day.

SuperiorXI

I can't believe people allow themselves to be mugged off into paying premium PPV rates to watch two non-boxers (and yes I include Tommy in that, he should be nowhere near PPV at this stage in his boxing career)

How demoralising this must be for Amateur's in the sport. They work their whole lives and some knob off the internet comes in and right away is making absolute bank robbing people left right and centre, making a mockery of the sport.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

I'm not a fan of Jake Paul by any means but this simply isn't true.

It did 65k buys through cable/satellite i.e. a small percentage of boomers that still buy PPV's the old fashioned way.

The digital numbers would have been way higher - the DAZN guy who tweeted this out originally even acknowledged/clarified this.

I'm guessing the numbers weren't brilliant as Woodley was a last minute replacement and a repeat opponent but they must have been good enough for Showtime to roll with him again for the Fury fight.

Deery

Dreary
I'm not a fan of Jake Paul by any means but this simply isn't true.

It did 65k buys through cable/satellite i.e. a small percentage of boomers that still buy PPV's the old fashioned way.

The digital numbers would have been way higher - the DAZN guy who tweeted this out originally even acknowledged/clarified this.

I'm guessing the numbers weren't brilliant as Woodley was a last minute replacement and a repeat opponent but they must have been good enough for Showtime to roll with him again for the Fury fight.
What are you even saying “the digital numbers would have been much higher” do you mean people might have watched it if they didn’t have to pay for it? Well of course the numbers would be slightly higher but you could say that for any fight in the history of PPV.

Abraxas

What are you even saying “the digital numbers would have been much higher” do you mean people might have watched it if they didn’t have to pay for it? Well of course the numbers would be slightly higher but you could say that for any fight in the history of PPV.
I'm guessing he meant digital sales of the "fight" were higher than cable.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
No, that's quite clearly not what I'm saying.

Don't see what's so hard to comprehend here - you can purchase the PPV in numerous ways, the old way through your cable/satellite setup or digitally via websites/apps.

The DAZN guy was only talking about the cable/satellite buys. He acknowledged personally the buys could go 'through the roof' (direct quote) once digital buys were accounted for.

It was a completely superfluous point to make really. In this day and age I'm willing to bet the majority of boxing PPV buys are done digitally. When you account for the fact that the audience for Jake Paul's fights is going to be massively skewed away from the old heads and towards a new tech-savvy generation I'd be surprised if more than 20% of the total buys were done through cable.

Deery

Dreary
No, that's quite clearly not what I'm saying.

Don't see what's so hard to comprehend here - you can purchase the PPV in numerous ways, the old way through your cable/satellite setup or digitally via websites/apps.

The DAZN guy was only talking about the cable/satellite buys. He acknowledged personally the buys could go 'through the roof' (direct quote) once digital buys were accounted for.

It was a completely superfluous point to make really. In this day and age I'm willing to bet the majority of boxing PPV buys are done digitally. When you account for the fact that the audience for Jake Paul's fights is going to be massively skewed away from the old heads and towards a new tech-savvy generation I'd be surprised if more than 20% of the total buys were done through cable.
It wasn’t on DAZN though.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Sounds like an if my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle scenario.
You feeling alright pal? You've completely misinterpreted everything I've said based on failing to grasp even the most basic concepts, and have now resorted to using colloquialisms' that make zero sense in the context of this discussion.

Deery

Dreary
You feeling alright pal? You've completely misinterpreted everything I've said based on failing to grasp even the most basic concepts, and have now resorted to using colloquialisms' that make zero sense in the context of this discussion.
Ok

G-manc

Joe Joyce is so weird to watch.

Technically poor, slow, couldn't slip a punch if his life depended on it and yet he keeps winning by having a concrete head and pouring forward.