The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Abraxas

I’m all up for doing the same to mens boxing if it means they swing like this :lol:
Aye but the round gets going then it's over. To me the last minute of the round and the championship rounds are where champions are made. The grit and conditioning. Just don't really understand why the women are short-changed.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Marshall is going to punch herself out, using up way too much energy.

Deery

Dreary
I’d be asking for a drug test if I’m Shields Marshal walking through everything?

Abraxas

Marshall just looks a bit slow. Quite a big athleticism difference and Shields is good at rolling punches. So I am not sure that power punching style is enough by itself.

Abraxas

Probably a better round for Marshall. Seemed to have some impact for the first time.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Best female boxing fight I’ve watched, albeit not seen that many.

Either Shields has an absolute chin, or Marshall seemed to lack any sort of power in her punches. Surprised the commentators had it so close. Marshall seems to be the more attacking fighter, but Shields produced combo after combo and generally didn’t seem to miss much.

Deery

Dreary
Can’t see there being a rematch, and not sure how Marshal took so many shots and kept coming forward.

TheReligion

Abusive
Best female boxing fight I’ve watched, albeit not seen that many.

Either Shields has an absolute chin, or Marshall seemed to lack any sort of power in her punches. Surprised the commentators had it so close. Marshall seems to be the more attacking fighter, but Shields produced combo after combo and generally didn’t seem to miss much.
Savannah never seemed to plant her feet and land. Fury told her a few times to stop jumping in and she did a little bit second half of the fight but it was lost by then.

The combinations will always catch the judges eyes.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
If Marshall started earlier it would have been a good contest, by the time she woke up it was too late and she had to rush.

Definitely merit in the re-match.

TheReligion

Abusive
Still something dodgy to it for me, she was eating 6-7 punches in a row and walking forward, Shields hit her with everything about round 6 she didn’t flinch..
Shields is not known for her power. I think she’s only stopped 2 fighters in her career.

She was landing punches but don’t think they were particularly powerful. Shields on the other hand has quite a nasty swelling on her eye and was cut at the end.

Dan_F

Still something dodgy to it for me, she was eating 6-7 punches in a row and walking forward, Shields hit her with everything about round 6 she didn’t flinch..
Are you suggesting PEDs help with being able to take punches? That’s not really how they work.

Deery

Dreary
Shields is not known for her power. I think she’s only stopped 2 fighters in her career.

She was landing punches but don’t think they were particularly powerful. Shields on the other hand has quite a nasty swelling on her eye and was cut at the end.
I know how many fighters she’s stopped, the shots didn’t even rattle Savannah which was weird I’ve never seen this before.

Zen

Are you suggesting PEDs help with being able to take punches? That’s not really how they work.
They kinda do/would have an effect actually. They give you a boost - physique, confidence and recovery. But either way, in this case, ultra doubtful. Some people can just eat punches....

Zen

That’s not how boxing works, you get hit with 8 punches it usually backs you up, this didn’t..
I might need to rewatch, but I certainly felt she was rocked a few times in those first few rounds.... it was hardly Golovkin-esque of walking staight through them without a flinch at least.

Deery

Dreary
You need to watch some more boxing! Plenty of fighters in big fights, especially at home, can dig in and push through. Roberto Duran.
No Mas you mean after getting hit with too many shots off Sugar Ray? You kinda proved my point.

Deery

Dreary
I might need to rewatch, but I certainly felt she was rocked a few times in those first few rounds.... it was hardly Golovkin-esque of walking staight through them without a flinch at least.
I thought it strange that’s all you’re entitled to your own opinion but I’ve never seen a fighter take so much and walk through it.

Dan_F

It’s exactly how they work.
What PED can be taken to directly absorb punches better? Just a bizarre statement to outright accuse someone of that for taking a few punches. At no point did I think any punches landed flush enough to put her in serious trouble.

They kinda do/would have an effect actually. They give you a boost - physique, confidence and recovery. But either way, in this case, ultra doubtful. Some people can just eat punches....
Those factors don’t really have anything to do with a punch hitting your chin. The punches landed. Confidence and physique have nothing to do with ability to take a punch.

You could definitely argue that being on PEDs would improve recovery in training. Improve stamina, strength etc. Therefore, punches landing from the opponent are generally weaker because they are more tired from the extra ability of the PED fighter.

Deery

Dreary
What PED can be taken to directly absorb punches better? Just a bizarre statement to outright accuse someone of that for taking a few punches. At no point did I think any punches landed flush enough to put her in serious trouble.
A bizarre statement to be curious as to why someone is eating punches and think nothing of it, she’s even trained by a Fury. Did you not see that drug use in the sport is widespread?

Zen

Those factors don’t really have anything to do with a punch hitting your chin. The punches landed. Confidence and physique have nothing to do with ability to take a punch.
I just put physique in to emphasize they are used for a boost in many ways, but confidence and adranaline absolute boost you're ability to take more punches than you normally would, even if it's 102 instead of 100, or whatever. At this level, marginal gains is what they are used for anyway. But again, I'm not even suggesting it really... they just seemed a bit powderpuff flurries, which even then, clearly had an effect at times.

And the guy who's not seen someone walk into them before.... he definitely has, just being selective. Sugar Ray beat Hagler with relentless powderpuff combos that effected Hagler less than today. (And yes, I know, he may have backed up... briefly, but didn't looked rocked once which Marshall did)

Deery

Dreary
I just put physique in to emphasize they are used for a boost in many ways, but confidence and adranaline absolute boost you're ability to take more punches than you normally would, even if it's 102 instead of 100, or whatever. At this level, marginal gains is what they are used for anyway. But again, I'm not even suggesting it really... they just seemed a bit powderpuff flurries, which even then, clearly had an effect at times.

And the guy who's not seen someone walk into them before.... he definitely has, just being selective. Sugar Ray beat Hagler with relentless powderpuff combos that effected Hagler less than today. (And yes, I know, he may have backed up... briefly, but didn't looked rocked once which Marshall did)
3-4 times Haglar backed up if I remember right.

Dan_F

A bizarre statement to be curious as to why someone is eating punches and think nothing of it, she’s even trained by a Fury. Did you not see that drug use in the sport is widespread?
It probably is widespread. Improved speed, stamina, strength, all things that can be achieved through the ability to train harder with PEDs. If you wanted to argue that you suspected PEDs due to the fact that she was still going that hard in round 10 after taking all those shots, that’s at least credible.

I’m still wanting to hear what PED it is that can make you suddenly take a punch well? Like bam, you take it for a camp and suddenly you have a granite chin :lol:

13 wins and 2 knockouts for someone so technically better suggests a lack of punching power.

MUW4Eva

Not sure if that's true right now. Shields is at her peak I think Katie is just a little over her peak now
Either way, Katie is the best female boxer of all time, what she has done for the shirt, and the impact she has had, dwarfs all of Shields accomplishments.