The RedCafe Boxing Thread

paulscholes18

Quite a big swing in weights since their last Flight with AJ 11 pound heavier and Franklin nearly 2 stone lighter when he leaves at to White

Vapor trail

That's more like it. Fight was made remarkably quickly after Inoue decided to move up a weight class, got postponed about a week ago due to Inoue getting injured, and they've already rescheduled it. No drama, just two top fighters acting like grown ups.
This is a quality fight, like both guys but favour Inoue as he has the power as an equaliser.

Vapor trail

Also a big positive for AJ is Derrick James who's an excellent trainer. He's levels above anyone who has coached Joshua. He's the best in the business by a landslide. Especially in observing Spence who started boxing late at 17 he's the most fundamentally sound fighter at welterweight. He has a consistent jab, lateral movement, picks his shots, pivots well, can fight off the back foot (shown vs Porter). It's almost unheard of for a fighter to exhibit that level of completeness having missed the teething period despite him having a golden gloves. Charlo (Mel) is also another great example very technical fighter but like Spence can step on the gas if they identify an opportunity.

I think Joshua fits this profile of trainer but just has to learn when it's appropriate to box in spots and then when he has to up the intensity. Something hopefully he learns from James that is a typical characteristic of his stable they know how to go up through the gears progressively as the fight moves on. It's a strong testament to the conditioning they are doing in Texas.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Also a big positive for AJ is Derrick James who's an excellent trainer. He's levels above anyone who has coached Joshua. He's the best in the business by a landslide. Especially in observing Spence who started boxing late at 17 he's the most fundamentally sound fighter at welterweight. He has a consistent jab, lateral movement, picks his shots, pivots well, can fight off the back foot (shown vs Porter). It's almost unheard of for a fighter to exhibit that level of completeness having missed the teething period despite him having a golden gloves. Charlo (Mel) is also another great example very technical fighter but like Spence can step on the gas if they identify an opportunity.

I think Joshua fits this profile of trainer but just has to learn when it's appropriate to box in spots and then when he has to up the intensity. Something hopefully he learns from James that is a typical characteristic of his stable they know how to go up through the gears progressively as the fight moves on. It's a strong testament to the conditioning they are doing in Texas.
If he can teach AJ when to box and when to bang, that’d go a long way to sorting him out

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
This Barnum circus >>> Klitschkos’ one-way-sludgefest era

SambaBoy

I think Franklin will win tonight.

Joshua mentality just isn't there to handle the pressure in an individual sport like boxing. His style has changed since Ruiz and he's had two damaging losses since.

You can tell he bought into his own hype and seemed very insecure in interviews with a fake persona when he was unbeaten. The Ruiz fight rocked him massively, he was almost begging the ref to stop it. He lost to Usyk the first fight but he thought it was him that lost the fight rather than Usyk that won it. Second fight, he seemed confident that his game plan would work and then absolutely lost it when he lost the fight, his post fight antics were terrible. Now his persona has changed and it's coming across that way into interviews.

When he beat Klit & Whyte, he probably thought he would fight 1-2 times a year, win every belt and every fight and retire unbeaten. now he's not going to achieve that and he's not top dog I think he struggles to comprehend that. He also struggles against smaller guys and Franklin can cause him trouble.

The boxing casuals have totally written of Franklin too saying he's just a bum and that he's the equivalent of opponent as one of AJ's earlier fights. He's actually a very decent fighter and would give any of the top heavyweights a decent fight. You only have to watch the Whyte to see that.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I think Franklin will win tonight.

Joshua mentality just isn't there to handle the pressure in an individual sport like boxing. His style has changed since Ruiz and he's had two damaging losses since.

You can tell he bought into his own hype and seemed very insecure in interviews with a fake persona when he was unbeaten. The Ruiz fight rocked him massively, he was almost begging the ref to stop it. He lost to Usyk the first fight but he thought it was him that lost the fight rather than Usyk that won it. Second fight, he seemed confident that his game plan would work and then absolutely lost it when he lost the fight, his post fight antics were terrible. Now his persona has changed and it's coming across that way into interviews.

When he beat Klit & Whyte, he probably thought he would fight 1-2 times a year, win every belt and every fight and retire unbeaten. now he's not going to achieve that and he's not top dog I think he struggles to comprehend that. He also struggles against smaller guys and Franklin can cause him trouble.

The boxing casuals have totally written of Franklin too saying he's just a bum and that he's the equivalent of opponent as one of AJ's earlier fights. He's actually a very decent fighter and would give any of the top heavyweights a decent fight. You only have to watch the Whyte to see that.
Money to be made if you think Franklin has a decent shot, he’s 1/8

Leg-End

Joshua’s downfall was trying be a boxer instead of using his biggest asset, heavy hands. I think it was Frampton who wrote about it recently, he just needs to get back to what he was before and stop trying to prove he’s some marvellous boxer, he isn’t, never looks good when he does it, just start throwing bombs again.

New trainer was essential, heavier weight again essential, if he can’t win this one then he’s done.

G-manc

It will be interesting to see how the fight pans out if Joshua can’t get rid of Franklin early. Franklin looked to have decent hand speed and feet against Whyte and has dropped 20lb since then.
I have no issue with this fight for Joshua coming off 2 losses and a longish layoff but I think it’s nailed on Hearn will try and make the Whyte fight in the summer. No need to fight both IMO.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This Joshua narrative isn't making any sense. Ostensibly, the last fight he had was the best performance of his career in terms of technical boxing, output and also heart. It's just that he came up against a far superior technician with more know-how, stamina/output and heart. He'll only have that again if he matches up with Fury.

Rounding on Joshua for what he's not is rooted in how he's come up, but picking at that right now, at the time he's shown the most growth and development in his entire career, is very odd.

I should also add, from Joshua's camp, why the hell have they had him put on all that weight and lose the tank he'd only just developed at a weight that is far better for him? If he doesn't get control of the fight and is forced to work at a higher output than all that mass can handle, he'll be gassed inside 6, as was his previous M.O. and something he needed to get away from in the first place. It'll be immaterial if he gets the job done early, but if not, it'll be something that has the potential to cost him the fight.

predator

Youth NITK
Anyone know what the cheapest way to watch this fight is?

Can I sign up to the 9.99 dazn monthly subscription and cancel before the end of the month?

Cba paying anymore to watch Joshua and struggling to find a reliable channel.

Dan_F

Anyone know what the cheapest way to watch this fight is?

Can I sign up to the 9.99 dazn monthly subscription and cancel before the end of the month?

Cba paying anymore to watch Joshua and struggling to find a reliable channel.
Looks like you need to pay £19.99 for a monthly sub, £9.99 is monthly if you commit for a year.

predator

Youth NITK
Looks like you need to pay £19.99 for a monthly sub, £9.99 is monthly if you commit for a year.
Cheers. Yeah it seems the 9.99 is a 12 month commitment.

feck paying 19.99 to watch it. I'm not even that fussed about it but one of my inlaws wants to watch it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
What time is AJs fight?
It's the next fight. Every chance they piss about until at least the top of the hour even if this one finishes now though, of course.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Boxing needs to get a grip. Why do we have to wait so long.

Vapor trail

Still feels like Joshua is fighting within himself. He has to throw more over the rounds very gun shy.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Bellew has it as a shut out for AJ so far...
To be fair, probably what the judges have as well. Mainly because boxing is bent and the cash cow is always going to get the decision.

The actual fight has been 50/50 though.

Irrational.

Joshua looks very stiff and has this glazed, almost bewildered look about him. His confidence is shot. Even if he comes through this round I don’t feel he has enough to mix it with the best.

Big Andy

Bloke
No wonder Joshua has swerved Fury, Fury would fecking batter this Watford Bellend.