The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Utdstar01

Yo
I don't know about that. Mike Tyson, one of the biggest names ever in boxing, used to knock people out inside 1 or 2 rounds regularly and sold out arenas and did big PPV numbers. Anthony Joshua is doing the same now. Them 2 are more popular than Eubank ever will be.

I genuinely don't buy this thing he'd fight anyone. He's been called out by loads of people. He comes up with shit excuses, he constantly says he'll fight other fighters the minute they're announced for fights. The guy is a level above what he fights but a good few levels below any of the top in his division. If I had to guess he'll keep fighting a few bums and then when he becomes irrelevant he might take a risky fight for a pay day. The Eubanks, especially Sr are masters at marketing themselves. Look at the bullshit with Blackwell when they were all over TV saying they wouldn't hit him in the head to "protect him" were they feck, the whole thing was cos it wasn't working so hit him to the body instead!
You're speaking of 2 big heavyweights, one of whom Is well known to be one of the biggest punchers of all time and AJ a big, big puncher too. Eubank's first appearance with ITV he's going to want to put on more of a display on than just go in there and put the guy off of his feet in a round or 2 for a fight that really wasn't worthy of a PPV. Like I say everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Like I say, he's yet to fight a big name or a decent ranked fighter so it would risky to say either way if he's going to be top level or not, that we will just have to wait and see on. You can argue that for many fighters though, look at BJS, he's fighting bums left right and centre as is Deontay Wilder. The whole system is seriously flawed when match making.

Oh yeah they aren't the most likeable duo at all I'm not a massive fan myself of their characters.

Oggmonster

Yo

You're speaking of 2 big heavyweights, one of whom Is well known to be one of the biggest punchers of all time and AJ a big, big puncher too. Eubank's first appearance with ITV he's going to want to put on more of a display on than just go in there and put the guy off of his feet in a round or 2 for a fight that really wasn't worthy of a PPV. Like I say everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Like I say, he's yet to fight a big name or a decent ranked fighter so it would risky to say either way if he's going to be top level or not, that we will just have to wait and see on. You can argue that for many fighters though, look at BJS, he's fighting bums left right and centre as is Deontay Wilder. The whole system is seriously flawed when match making.

Oh yeah they aren't the most likeable duo at all I'm not a massive fan myself of their characters.

Yeah its all opinions at the end of the day. I dunno I just don't think many boxers who are capable of knocking someone out would decide not to just to give the fans some entertainment. Especially given the fight wasn't even that good anyway. If that was his plan it backfired cos he just looked incapable of beating a much lesser opponent earlier.

I genuinely think it's 100% on him or his dad that he's not getting big name fights as well. Frank Warren and Eddie Hearn never agree on anything but one thing they seem to both say is that Eubank Sr especially is a dick and both strongly advise Jr lets his Dad go. He has fought a semi big name as well, he fought BJS and lost and looked average doing it.

I don't disagree with the matchmaking it's been political for years. Just cos others do it doesn't make it acceptable though. People like Eubank and BJS are the worst. They will call out people like GGG when they're scheduled to fight someone else. Then when GGG easily beats an opponent and says they'd fight Eubank or BJS they suddenly have fights lined up or other issues.

Each to their own like you say. I just think Eubank is massively overrated cos of his name really. As I said after his fight he might as well milk it and make money off it but I'll never really be a fan when he fights people like he does....I doubt he's that arsed though don't think he's desperate for me to be a fan!

Kazi

Eubank is so inefficient with his punches. All he does is get in range and let his hands go with nothing behind them. Anyone decent will pick him apart.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Eubank is so inefficient with his punches. All he does is get in range and let his hands go with nothing behind them. Anyone decent will pick him apart.
Golovkin would eat them and smash him back 3x as hard when Eubank tries to back off and rest that's for sure. The only question mark in that fight is the slight chance Eubank Jr hurts GGG before he inevitably gets his career shortened.

That's also a lingering doubt on Brook now. What damage (mentally and physically) did GGG inflict on the rest of his career.

Revan

Assumptionman
Golovkin would eat them and smash him back 3x as hard when Eubank tries to back off and rest that's for sure. The only question mark in that fight is the slight chance Eubank Jr hurts GGG before he inevitably gets his career shortened.

That's also a lingering doubt on Brook now. What damage (mentally and physically) did GGG inflict on the rest of his career.
I don't think Brook got damaged, to be fair. I think that he knew he was going to lose, and his camp stopped the fight the moment GGG started punching him like a training bag.

The boxers he'll face next won't be GGG so no need for him to be afraid.

Oggmonster

Hearn saying Brook vs. Spence is done and in May. Good 3 months for British boxing with Haye vs. Bellew in March, Wlad vs. Joshua in April and then SPence vs. Brook in May! Albeit Haye vs. Bellew is a bit of a freakshow fight it will generate interest which is what boxing needs.

Oggmonster

Didn't see that coming at all. Great fight.

Is it going to be at 147? Can Brook even get down to 147 anymore?
Yeah it's for the IBF title so I'd imagine he can make the weight.

In fairness he used to balloon up massively in between fights. If you see him on Sky sports doing punditry when he's not fighting he's piled on the pounds. I was sat near him at Quigg vs. Frampton and bumped into him near the bar area and he was big then as well and fought at welterweight a month later.

If I had to guess I think he fights Spence, win or lose he fights Khan then he might move up a weight after that. Khan is a big fight regardless of the Spence result and a big money maker for him. Spence being in Sheffield and a legitimate good fighter Hearn will be able to sell that as well.

mr.suave

Yeah it's for the IBF title so I'd imagine he can make the weight.

In fairness he used to balloon up massively in between fights. If you see him on Sky sports doing punditry when he's not fighting he's piled on the pounds. I was sat near him at Quigg vs. Frampton and bumped into him near the bar area and he was big then as well and fought at welterweight a month later.

If I had to guess I think he fights Spence, win or lose he fights Khan then he might move up a weight after that. Khan is a big fight regardless of the Spence result and a big money maker for him. Spence being in Sheffield and a legitimate good fighter Hearn will be able to sell that as well.
Ah yeah, had completely forgotten about his belt, actually.

The extra bit of muscle he packed on for the Golovkin fight won't help him when it comes to making weight this time round, though, that's for sure. Already massive for a welterweight.

Like you said, the Khan fight makes sense for both of them later on this year, regardless of the outcome of this fight, but just can't see it happening unless Khan starts being more realistic with his demands and starts looking like he actually wants it. Wasn't he asking for a 70-30 split not so long ago?

As for this fight, it's a genuine 50-50 for me. Really surprised Hearn has gone ahead and made it, tbh, especially given Brook's run of opponents since the Porter fight.

tomaldinho1

I'm admittedly a fairweather boxing fan but can someone explain to me how Haye v Bellew is going to be a contest. I know Haye isn't exactly in his prime but surely this will be a bit one sided...Haye is an actual heavyweight, is taller (according to google), heavier, stronger and just looks like he'll be way too much for Bellew.

Genuinely worth watching or just Eddie Hearn marketing masterpiece?

Kazi

I'm admittedly a fairweather boxing fan but can someone explain to me how Haye v Bellew is going to be a contest. I know Haye isn't exactly in his prime but surely this will be a bit one sided...Haye is an actual heavyweight, is taller (according to google), heavier, stronger and just looks like he'll be way too much for Bellew.

It isn't a contest, but Hearn and Bellew are selling the shit out of it.

Red_Aaron

It's bellews biggest payday so they're whipping up as much as they can. His only hope is to drag it in to the later rounds and hope Hayes conditioning isn't there due to so little activity

The first meaningful punch from haye probably ends though. I'd be surprised if it reaches round 6

Oggmonster

It's a marketing job really but then I think it will be pretty entertaining (but I can't stand Bellew.) Haye will probably win easily really. Although moving forward boxing could do without freak fights it is generating interest and hopefully it is good for the future of the sport and British boxing as well.

G-manc

I can see why people may dislike Bellew but the difference between he and Haye for me is that i think he's pretty honest. Yes, he's a bit mouthy but i think in his own head he genuinely thinks he can win. There's nothing wrong with being confident.

Haye on the other hand is a complete nimrod and comes across as a fake to me. It's a shame that yacht he's been lounging on didn't spring a leak. Everyone knows he's come back for the money then maybe he'll actually be able to afford the lifestyle he's pretending to lead.

Oggmonster

I can see why people may dislike Bellew but the difference between he and Haye for me is that i think he's pretty honest. Yes, he's a bit mouthy but i think in his own head he genuinely thinks he can win. There's nothing wrong with being confident.

Haye on the other hand is a complete nimrod and comes across as a fake to me. It's a shame that yacht he's been lounging on didn't spring a leak. Everyone knows he's come back for the money then maybe he'll actually be able to afford the lifestyle he's pretending to lead.
I don't dislike his confidence I just think he's ridiculously false to be honest. All his weird catch phrases (like how he insists he's a "fat Scouser") are just annoying to listen to and it just gets tedious. Each to their own though. He's alright on commentary when I've heard him though to be fair but he's not trying to sell a fight then.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
Khan set for Pacquiao bout
exclusive
Ron Lewis, Boxing Correspondent
February 21 2017, 12:01am, The Times

Manny Pacquiao looks set to box Amir Khan on May 20 in one of the most high-profile bouts to be staged in the UK after terms for the contest were agreed yesterday.

The Macron Stadium in Bolton, Khan’s home town, and the Manchester Arena are on hold to stage the contest. Contracts have not yet been signed but a verbal agreement has been made for the bout to take place in the UK, despite an offer to stage it in the United Arab Emirates.

Khan has been chasing a bout against Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather, two of the sport’s greatest names, for years.

Pacquiao would arguably be the highest profile name to box in Britain since Muhammad Ali took on Brian London at the Earls Court Arena in August 1966.

Pacquiao, 38, was expected to quit the sport after becoming a senator in his native Philippines last year.

Khan, 30, has not boxed since being knocked out by Saúl “Canelo” Álvarez in Las Vegas last May for the WBC middleweight title. His return to the ring was delayed after he underwent surgery for a hand injury.

The pair know each other well, having sparred hundreds of rounds together when they were trained by Freddie Roach in Hollywood. However, when Khan left Roach in 2012, to be trained by Virgil Hunter, a bout became a stronger possibility.

The Filipino, who has won world titles in divisions from flyweight to light-middleweight, last boxed in November when he beat American Jessie Vargas on points to regain the WBO welterweight title that he had lost to Mayweather in the richest fight in history 18 months earlier.

His past 20 bouts have taken place in either the United States or Macau, but he had expressed an interest in boxing around the globe before he retires and a deal had been agreed for him to face Jeff Horn in Brisbane on April 23.

That was put in doubt, though, when a rival offer was made for Pacquiao to box in the UAE, which was followed by a poll on Pacquiao’s Twitter page asking fans to vote for which opponent he should face. Khan won the poll, beating Kell Brook and Terence Crawford.

Eddie Hearn, the promoter, has held talks with Pacquiao’s team for a bout against Brook later this year.
Big fight. Guessing this will be on BoxNation PPV as well which would be a massive coup for Frank Warren.

Oggmonster

Big fight. Guessing this will be on BoxNation PPV as well which would be a massive coup for Frank Warren.
Bob Arum has said it's no true it's all come from Khan's teamm apparently. If I had to guess it is a plan to keep Khan's name out there and relevant. Khan loves making out people duck him. The reality is I just think other fighters aren't that arsed by him.

NextSeason

Bob Arum has said it's no true it's all come from Khan's teamm apparently. If I had to guess it is a plan to keep Khan's name out there and relevant. Khan loves making out people duck him. The reality is I just think other fighters aren't that arsed by him.
Paq has clearly come back to make more money and this fight makes a lot of money. The article does say verbal agreement so nothing signed and sealed yet but I can see why it makes sense for both parties.

Oggmonster

Paq has clearly come back to make more money and this fight makes a lot of money. The article does say verbal agreement so nothing signed and sealed yet but I can see why it makes sense for both parties.
WIll have to wait and see. Personally I get a bit bored of Khan's constant "he's avoiding me" nonsense myself. I get he wants big money fights and it's fair enough to do so, I just don't really believe a word he says in the meantime.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Haye on the other hand is a complete nimrod and comes across as a fake to me
He came across as a really nice guy when he was on I'm a Celebrity. Before he went in the jungle I thought he was an absolute weapon and had no time for him at all, but the 3 weeks or so he was in there changed my mind completely. It's really hard to put on an act in there for that long, especially considering the shit they go through and especially the hunger and lack of food issues for someone like Haye. Bellew is the opposite for me though, I find him a huge hypocrite and extremely gobby and offensive. He was on the radio a few weeks ago absolutely slaughtering Haye, he was so out of order and i'm surprised he wasn't kicked off the lunchtime show. Yet yesterday he's moaning about Haye and playing the victim big time. He should accept he's been equally as disrespectful and as rude as Haye and they have both gone too far at times. It's definitely a real grudge match and should be a great fight.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
Bellew seems like he's got his heart in the right place if a little misguided. He lost some of my respect, ranting in his recent IFL interview about bringing back stonings, cutting thieves hands off and capital punishment. He's doing a good job of selling the fight though and making people think he has a chance.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
They're friends in real life. There's nothing in terms of actual rivalry beneath the thin veneer of fight-selling surface.

It's all for the cameras and ticket sales.

Haye will win.

predator

Youth NITK
They're friends in real life. There's nothing in terms of actual rivalry beneath the thin veneer of fight-selling surface.

It's all for the cameras and ticket sales.

Haye will win.
I don't know tbh. David Haye isn't well liked in the professional boxing world. All the other heavyweights seem to get on with one another - Joshua, The Klitschko's, Fury, Bellew, Chisora.
Haye is very personal with his insults and shows very little respect to his opponents. The Klitschko heads t shirt and the fact Haye can't even say one good thing about Bellew. At least Bellew has the decency to say how fast and overall a good fighter Haye is. They will both shake hands at the end of the fight I'm sure but I don't think they'll be going on holiday together.

Having said all of that I am a massive fan of Haye. He's a massive wind up, a good businessman and a great boxer.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Haye is very personal with his insults and shows very little respect to his opponents. The Klitschko heads t shirt and the fact Haye can't even say one good thing about Bellew. At least Bellew has the decency to say how fast and overall a good fighter Haye is. They will both shake hands at the end of the fight I'm sure but I don't think they'll be going on holiday together.
This is Bellew's dream fight, he's been chasing it for years. He won't care what Haye calls him, as he knows how Haye sells fights and will have been expecting it.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

predator

Youth NITK
I loved Hayes pop at Eddie Hearn, whom I cannot stand, in the press conference. That was the best part of the press conference. You could see how much Hearn was hurting inside. You could also see Bellew getting annoyed that he was being left out of the argument.
Regarding this fight I believe it will be so one sided. Haye will knock him out within 4 rounds and hopefully Bellew doesn't need medical assistance. You'll see the difference once they are both in the ring not only physically but technically. I hope for a good fight though. If Bellew gets past round 6 he will start to gain momentum.

Red_Aaron

i know kahn doesn't get much love on here but personally i'm a big fan, i'm a sucker for the old great-hands-no-chin combination, he's very rarely in boring fights

pacman will be favorite but given the stage he's at in his career kahn will have a chance. could be a cracking fight of non stop punching :drool:

Classical Mechanic

i know kahn doesn't get much love on here but personally i'm a big fan, i'm a sucker for the old great-hands-no-chin combination, he's very rarely in boring fights

pacman will be favorite but given the stage he's at in his career kahn will have a chance. could be a cracking fight of non stop punching :drool:
Khan is always great value when he fights. The Kell Brook bout not getting made is hugely annoying though.

Red_Aaron

Khan is always great value when he fights. The Kell Brook bout not getting made is hugely annoying though.
They seem to be involved in some one-upmanship at the moment as to who can line up the best fights canelo vs GGG / spence vs pacman
I'm sure they'll get it on eventually but by the time they actually do they could both well be fcked

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Got an email from BT saying they're gonna add Boxnation to my subscription for free :D Not bad, considering I'm already getting SS1/SS2 for free.

NextSeason

Claymore

Khan's just lucky that Pacman hasn't got the knockouts in him anymore because if this was the Pacman who fought Hatton in 2009 then Amir would been having yet another really bad KO on his CV. Would be good to see though all the same.

He's rarely boring in fights because as you said, he's an awesome technical boxer with good hand speed and combo's who has absolutely no working neck muscles/jaw what so ever who always gets macho and wants to prove him can be Nigel Benn/Froch/Haggler/Chisora