The RedCafe Boxing Thread

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Actually somewhat intrigued by the KSI Paul fight :lol:

starman

The market is there for it, whether you like it or not.
Well obviously, but none of these two twats would have even made it in the mainstream as "entertainers", thats what Youtube is for. The fact Sky Sports, a mainstream Sports channel is pumping the hell out of this is ridiculous. I have no issues with the event, just the outlet

Oggmonster

Well obviously, but none of these two twats would have even made it in the mainstream as "entertainers", thats what Youtube is for. The fact Sky Sports, a mainstream Sports channel is pumping the hell out of this is ridiculous. I have no issues with the event, just the outlet
Huh? YouTube is a huge platform, it's definitely main stream

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
To be honest mainstream is busy making stars out of Towie, Big brother, I’m a celeb, these 2 boys have worked harder than any of those reality tv stars.

As for the fight tonight fair fecks to them I wouldn’t get into a ring to fight no mind in front of millions of kids who will rip apart the loser for years.

Oggmonster

Not for sport. Sky are the ones pushing this on people. Who subscribes to sky sports to hear about YouTube stars? You subscribe to watch the pinnacle of talent
The point is they've made it in the mainstream as entertainers though. Sports is huge on YouTube as well every major sports League, company and team use it.

I don't get the problem with the fight really, it's a bit silly but it will do big numbers and hopefully get eyes on some undercard fighters as well as maybe get some younger fans, a lot of whom probably prefer MMA I'd guess

starman

The point is they've made it in the mainstream as entertainers though. Sports is huge on YouTube as well every major sports League, company and team use it.

I don't get the problem with the fight really, it's a bit silly but it will do big numbers and hopefully get eyes on some undercard fighters as well as maybe get some younger fans, a lot of whom probably prefer MMA I'd guess
As i said i dont have a problem with the event, promote the hell out of it on Youtube, its ridiculous having it on Sky and having them shove it down peoples throat at every opportunity

OverratedOpinion

The fight is ridiculous and it seems to be starting a trend that will no doubt lead to some kid getting badly hurt trying to grow his youtube channel. I will watch the Saunders and Haney fights though.

As far as the main event I imagine the American will win, if you have two people who don't really know how to box then it is probably a pretty safe bet that the bigger, more athletic one will win.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The amateur fight between them last year was fun entertainment but Eddie Hearn hasn’t done anything positive for the sport here. It was a con and they’re not professionals in any sense. After all the smack talk, they were both crap and have no future in boxing.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
The amateur fight between them last year was fun entertainment but Eddie Hearn hasn’t done anything positive for the sport here. It was a con and they’re not professionals in any sense. After all the smack talk, they were both crap and have no future in boxing.
Naturally it's a quick pay cheque for everyone. The Youtubers will venture into other things, some may linger into other sports and other types of entertainment and what not.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think they’ve both realised this is probably as far as it goes in the sport of boxing for either.

Admirable they both got into such good shape and actually got into a ring to beat each other up (twice!) but 10 oz gloves and no head guards clearly looks like it’s taken something out of both fighters(?).

SambaBoy

BJS needed that KO IMO. Probably would have got the decision regardless but with unbiased judging, I'd say he was losing on the scorecards or at least it was very close.

Haney showed he's nowhere near ready for Loma which is expected for a 20year old just starting to move up the gears. Let him fight for a few more years and see where he is at. I turned off after his fight, wasn't going to entertain watching the YT's fight.

Fracture90

Wilder vs. Ortiz 2 should be interesting. After going down in the 6th round iirc, Ortiz absolutely killed Wilder in the 7th and then that mind-boggling decision by the ref happened when he granted Wilder another minute of rest or God knows what reason. Seriously weird decision, he probably saved Wilder from getting KO'd there.

Inter Yer Nan

Wilder vs. Ortiz 2 should be interesting. After going down in the 6th round iirc, Ortiz absolutely killed Wilder in the 7th and then that mind-boggling decision by the ref happened when he granted Wilder another minute of rest or God knows what reason. Seriously weird decision, he probably saved Wilder from getting KO'd there.
It’s a new rule which was supposedly incorporated to prevent potential injuries. If a fighter seems hurt he gets an extra look. The thing is, Ortiz was hurt and dropped the round prior and wasn’t given the minute.

Wilder mattered more apparently.

Fracture90

It’s a new rule which was supposedly incorporated to prevent potential injuries. If a fighter seems hurt he gets an extra look. The thing is, Ortiz was hurt and dropped the round prior and wasn’t given the minute.

Wilder mattered more apparently.
That's why I sometimes don't feel like watching boxing even though I love it, goddamn ref's, judges and their bias.

EDIT: Not to mention that Ortiz got dropped near the bell and if anything he should have been given that extra look considering his probably closer to 50 than 40 years of age.

Inter Yer Nan

That's why I sometimes don't feel like watching boxing even though I love it, goddamn ref's, judges and their bias.

EDIT: Not to mention that Ortiz got dropped near the bell and if anything he should have been given that extra look considering his probably closer to 50 than 40 years of age.
Exactly. Wilder was given a massive favor which his fans claimed was technically within NYSAC rules but those same rules were ignored for Ortiz.

I actually think Ortiz would have finished him off in a neutral territory but with the PBC behind Wilder there aren’t many neutral territories hence the laughable “draw” he got from Fury despite losing 9 or 10 rounds.

Fracture90

Exactly. Wilder was given a massive favor which his fans claimed was technically within NYSAC rules but those same rules were ignored for Ortiz.

I actually think Ortiz would have finished him off in a neutral territory but with the PBC behind Wilder there aren’t many neutral territories hence the laughable “draw” he got from Fury despite losing 9 or 10 rounds.
Homegrown boxer gotta win...or draw when he's losing.

G-manc

The Dilmaghani-Fonseca fight on C5 was a good little scrap last night for terrestrial TV.

Dilmaghani seemed to be having the better of until he was cut which seemed to give Fonseca a second wind. He was like a mini Maidana.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Disappointing news that the Nery/Rodriguez title fight on the Vegas undercard is cancelled as Nery missed the weight.
Idiotic of him as he could have used it as a platform to talk up a unification with Inoue.

Nico87

Anyone fancy an upset with Ryder here?. Smith looks awful, giving the impression he thought he only had to turn up.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ortiz could do it tonight. He's by far the better boxer and has come into this fight looking very fit like he's ready for 12 rounds. If he can avoid the right hand he'll win easily on the cards.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Wilder seemed more patient this time. Still, he was playing a dangerous game allowing Ortiz to out point him over the first six rounds.

Wilder isn't a very good boxer but he's up there alongside Shavers as the hardest punchers in the history of the sport.
Terrible boxer, but so much power, ha ha! It's a brilliant get out of jail free card.

Fury rematch and fingers crossed Joshua are two really interesting fights now, Joshua is big puncher and a better boxer but is extremely hittable and as we've seen, the majority do not get up after being landed clean from Wilder. Fury just needs to duck and weave and he'll win on points, but I think the same goes for Fury v Joshua also so I'm hoping Wilder beats him and Joshua regains his belts cause that's the fight I really want to see.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Wilder seemed more patient this time. Still, he was playing a dangerous game allowing Ortiz to out point him over the first six rounds.
Wilder didn't allow Ortiz to out point him.