The RedCafe Boxing Thread

bsCallout

Not entirely convinced Fury would want to drop the belt just to fight AJ. I can see it being a sticking point anyway - whether he relents is another issue.
Most fighters would for the payday, but I think Fury is motivated not entirely by money.
Fury is definitely motivated by money. He'll drop the belt if he can, he gets a few more for the trouble of beating AJ anyway.

There may well be some contractual issues with the AJ fight if Fury doesn't have the belt though.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Fury is definitely motivated by money. He'll drop the belt if he can, he gets a few more for the trouble of beating AJ anyway.

There may well be some contractual issues with the AJ fight if Fury doesn't have the belt though.
I might be wrong but I don't know if he will just vacate as quickly as other fighters have in the past. I reckon he'll try to find another way around it if possible.

Oggmonster

He's within his rights, which is what they knew all along. That's why he's getting criticised, it was their play from the beginning. To prevent the fight or get big money.

Fury said he wouldn't fight Wilder again after Wilder delayed and ignored the deadlines set because Fury wanted to stay active.

Covid didn't help but the fight was still there to be made.
Boxing politics has been around for years. This just sounds like people prefer Fury to Wilder so will criticise one abd slate the other (I find both painfully boring "personalities" personally.)

Fury or his team agreed to them terms so knew it was there but went ahead and announced a fight with AJ....could easily say he didn't fancy it and knew this would happen etc so can make Wilder look the bad guy.

It takes 2 to tango....Fury hasn't fought since the Wilder fight so what's to say he was that keen to fight again? Even Frank Warren did an interview implying Fury etc are dragging their feet with the AJ stuff.

Just seems a joke from most people involved really. None of them are blameless but again I don't get why people are putting it all on Wilder? Should he just not take money/a fight he's entitled to? Its on others to sort him out now. Everyone would do the same as he's done.

It's not like he rushed this through since the AJ/Fury talk either it's been in the courts for months now I think.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Wilder should simply negotiate he gets part of the purse, plus AJ and Fury both have to walk out in Wilder's costume.

bsCallout

Boxing politics has been around for years. This just sounds like people prefer Fury to Wilder so will criticise one abd slate the other (I find both painfully boring "personalities" personally.)

Fury or his team agreed to them terms so knew it was there but went ahead and announced a fight with AJ....could easily say he didn't fancy it and knew this would happen etc so can make Wilder look the bad guy.

It takes 2 to tango....Fury hasn't fought since the Wilder fight so what's to say he was that keen to fight again? Even Frank Warren did an interview implying Fury etc are dragging their feet with the AJ stuff.

Just seems a joke from most people involved really. None of them are blameless but again I don't get why people are putting it all on Wilder? Should he just not take money/a fight he's entitled to? Its on others to sort him out now. Everyone would do the same as he's done.

It's not like he rushed this through since the AJ/Fury talk either it's been in the courts for months now I think.
No it sounds like people want to see an undisputed fight.

Wilder had every excuse under the sun for why he lost.

Fury tried to arrange a December fight which didn't go ahead because of this case, which it seems Arum was fairly confident they would win, which is why they agreed the AJ fight too.

Fury was dragging his feet with the AJ fight because they wanted reassurances regarding the finances with the Saudis, which they got, post Eid and agreed the fight.

Oggmonster

No it sounds like people want to see an undisputed fight.

Wilder had every excuse under the sun for why he lost.

Fury tried to arrange a December fight which didn't go ahead because of this case, which it seems Arum was fairly confident they would win, which is why they agreed the AJ fight too.

Fury was dragging his feet with the AJ fight because they wanted reassurances regarding the finances with the Saudis, which they got, post Eid and agreed the fight.
So do I.

My point is that Wilder and his team are perfectly within their rights to want money or a fight with Fury as that is the contract Fury/his team agreed to. It's not on Wilder if this fight doesn't happen.

Hearn has come out and said Furys team told him this wouldn't be a problem and has said its their fault if the fight isn't made.

The case has gone on for months. Fury signed the contract so they have to honour that contract. I don't want to see the fight again. My initial reply was stating that its hardly all on Wilder that's all.

bsCallout

So do I.

My point is that Wilder and his team are perfectly within their rights to want money or a fight with Fury as that is the contract Fury/his team agreed to. It's not on Wilder if this fight doesn't happen.

Hearn has come out and said Furys team told him this wouldn't be a problem and has said its their fault if the fight isn't made.

The case has gone on for months. Fury signed the contract so they have to honour that contract. I don't want to see the fight again. My initial reply was stating that its hardly all on Wilder that's all.
We'd all likely do what Wilder is doing. Still deserves criticism for it if the fight doesn't go through.

Undisputed hasn't happen in 20+ years. The time is now.

If I was Wilder I'd try get some step aside money and a contract signed to fight the winner. If that's even possible.

Oggmonster

We'd all likely do what Wilder is doing. Still deserves criticism for it if the fight doesn't go through.

Undisputed hasn't happen in 20+ years. The time is now.

If I was Wilder I'd try get some step aside money and a contract signed to fight the winner. If that's even possible.
Yep agreed on all that mate.

Listening to Hearn earlier it seems like the Matchroom side is blaming Furys side and won't pay step aside money....seems fair enough as its a bit harsh if Joshua/Matchroom are out of pocket when they were told none of this was an issue.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Why the feck does wilder get a 3rd fight? He got feckin smashed in both, only won the first cos of absolute shit judges.

Inter Yer Nan

Why the feck does wilder get a 3rd fight? He got feckin smashed in both, only won the first cos of absolute shit judges.
He only got a “draw” in the first fight but yeah everyone views it as 2-0.

It is a contract through but I don’t like the way Wilder went about it to find out the figures of what we’re at stake in Fury-Joshua so he could try to get a step-aside. I’m glad Fury sounds like he’ll just fight him again. Wilder could have answered Fury’s call-outs last year but went quiet which he never does.

I’m sure Fury smashes him again but I’d be worried Usyk details Joshua if they fight in August.Hopefully Joshua can get an OK for a softer interim fight.

Oggmonster

It is a contract through but I don’t like the way Wilder went about it to find out the figures of what we’re at stake in Fury-Joshua so he could try to get a step-aside. I’m glad Fury sounds like he’ll just fight him again. Wilder could have answered Fury’s call-outs last year but went quiet which he never does.

I’m sure Fury smashes him again but I’d be worried Usyk details Joshua if they fight in August.Hopefully Joshua can get an OK for a softer interim fight.
He didn't wait the case has been in court for 7 months he doesn't dictate when the decision comes out.

It seems odd people in this thread are reluctant to put any blame at all on Furys team it's obviously there feck up.

Inter Yer Nan

He didn't wait the case has been in court for 7 months he doesn't dictate when the decision comes out.

It seems odd people in this thread are reluctant to put any blame at all on Furys team it's obviously there feck up.
But Fury and Top Rank were calling for the fight and he wasn’t responding then only responded once he realized Fury was serious about moving on. Seems to me Wilder and his team played this all along.

lsd

The Oracle

I would find it very difficult for Joshua to have any more softer fights than he always takes on. He will be fighting middleweights soon

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I watched that famous Hagler vs Hearns first round again. If that happened today social media would explode.

Oggmonster

But Fury and Top Rank were calling for the fight and he wasn’t responding then only responded once he realized Fury was serious about moving on. Seems to me Wilder and his team played this all along.
It seems to go around in circles slightly this and for some reason Fury is literally getting no blame whilst he and his team messed everyone about. Why is no one criticising Fury at all? I'm genuinely curious.

They'd of know if they were winning or losing that case yet still messed Joshua/his team about.

Didn't both sides not want the fight at first cos of COVID? Then Wilder got injured and wanted a few more months which is fair enough. I'm not a fan of Wilder but I just don't get how people are desperate to put all this on him.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
It seems to go around in circles slightly this and for some reason Fury is literally getting no blame whilst he and his team messed everyone about. Why is no one criticising Fury at all? I'm genuinely curious.

They'd of know if they were winning or losing that case yet still messed Joshua/his team about.

Didn't both sides not want the fight at first cos of COVID? Then Wilder got injured and wanted a few more months which is fair enough. I'm not a fan of Wilder but I just don't get how people are desperate to put all this on him.
AJ is... :lol:

To answer your question, I think people sided with Fury. After where he was with his weight and everything surrounding that, to where he got back to, to getting up off the canvas against Wilder, to dominating Wilder. It felt like a real Rocky story.. Like he's a bit of a media darling.

But I do think the tide is turning the other way again now. He appears to be going back to his old, pre-'retirement' ways. I'm sick of him now to be honest and really hope Joshua hammers him.

Oggmonster

AJ is... :lol:

To answer your question, I think people sided with Fury. After where he was with his weight and everything surrounding that, to where he got back to, to getting up off the canvas against Wilder, to dominating Wilder. It felt like a real Rocky story.. Like he's a bit of a media darling.

But I do think the tide is turning the other way again now. He appears to be going back to his old, pre-'retirement' ways. I'm sick of him now to be honest and really hope Joshua hammers him.
Hahah yeah was reading his twitter last night some funny stuff on there and Fury's comebacks make him look an idiot. The best one he did is share that guys post calling Fury out for not donating to charity like he said.

True, he's dined out for years on that now, all whilst largely fighting really poor fighters and AJ has got slated for fighting largely the best of a bad bunch.

I get no one wants the 3rd fight (I don't either, I want to see AJ vs Fury) but to just not give him any criticism for this when it is his team at fault is just odd. Why is Wilder getting all the blame? He's got nowt to do with an AJ vs. Fury fight it's not his problem. Fury and his team told Hearn etc that this wouldn't be an issue and it is. Hearn/AJ etc wouldn't of seen them contracts so just had to take Fury/Arum etc word for it who lied and deserve all the criticism for basically delaying the most anticipated fight in boxing again.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Hahah yeah was reading his twitter last night some funny stuff on there and Fury's comebacks make him look an idiot. The best one he did is share that guys post calling Fury out for not donating to charity like he said.

True, he's dined out for years on that now, all whilst largely fighting really poor fighters and AJ has got slated for fighting largely the best of a bad bunch.

I get no one wants the 3rd fight (I don't either, I want to see AJ vs Fury) but to just not give him any criticism for this when it is his team at fault is just odd. Why is Wilder getting all the blame? He's got nowt to do with an AJ vs. Fury fight it's not his problem. Fury and his team told Hearn etc that this wouldn't be an issue and it is. Hearn/AJ etc wouldn't of seen them contracts so just had to take Fury/Arum etc word for it who lied and deserve all the criticism for basically delaying the most anticipated fight in boxing again.
Absolutely agree. It's odd. Had it been Joshua being forced to face Ruiz again (for example) it would've been a different story I feel. A narrative that 'AJ had tried to duck Ruiz to take the money fight with Fury'.

Oggmonster

Absolutely agree. It's odd. Had it been Joshua being forced to face Ruiz again (for example) it would've been a different story I feel. A narrative that 'AJ had tried to duck Ruiz to take the money fight with Fury'.
Definitely would of been. Give it a few months when this dies down and they're fighting other people and AJ will be getting shit again whilst Fury is back to being the best ever for beating Wilder!

SuperiorXI

It's the promoters that have cocked up here, the fighters don't get involved in this stuff. I think it will be resolved shortly, Wilder will get the pay off and the fight will go ahead.

Nico87

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Saudi’s offer Wilder big money to go on the undercard against Whye ( Hearn has seemingly been itching for this fight anyway) and they offer the winner a guaranteed shot at the winner.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Saudi’s offer Wilder big money to go on the undercard against Whye ( Hearn has seemingly been itching for this fight anyway) and they offer the winner a guaranteed shot at the winner.
Would be awesome that but cannot see Hearn using that fight on the undercard when he has had Chisora/Parker as a PPV.

Inter Yer Nan

Can’t wait for Taylor-Ramirez tomorrow. What boxing should be all about. Two elite unbeatens in their prime who got it done with no back and forth through the media and social media. I’m sure they’ll deliver a good one! I’m picking Taylor close but clear unanimous decision.

Deery

Dreary
Can’t wait for Taylor-Ramirez tomorrow. What boxing should be all about. Two elite unbeatens in their prime who got it done with no back and forth through the media and social media. I’m sure they’ll deliver a good one! I’m picking Taylor close but clear unanimous decision.
It’s not even on TV over here just Fite TV an online channel, yet Mayweather v Paul is on Sky box office.

Oggmonster

That’s ridiculous. Taylor should be becoming a star by having a huge fight on an easily accessible platform. It’s on ESPN here.
Was his manager/promoters fight apparently priced themselves out of it. Wanted huge money for it apparently which no one could justify giving him.

It's odd as your right he should be but he isn't well known to more casual fans over here who would pay for/stay up and watch his fight. Their team should of taken less money for an offer from Sky or BT (even Channel 5) who would of hyped it up loads and benefitted him long term if he wins.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
It’s strange the Taylor have isn’t better known/hyped. I’m wondering why that is? Is it because he’s a really good technical boxer rather than a KO machine, and that’s what attracts more attention from casuals? I’m hoping that it’s that, rather than the fact he isn’t sounding off on social media 24/7

Deery

Dreary
It’s strange the Taylor have isn’t better known/hyped. I’m wondering why that is? Is it because he’s a really good technical boxer rather than a KO machine, and that’s what attracts more attention from casuals? I’m hoping that it’s that, rather than the fact he isn’t sounding off on social media 24/7
I think it’s more to do with winning his belts through the super series instead of having a conventional career path many wouldn’t have seen him fight before, I know I never knew who he was until the Prograis fight.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I think it’s more to do with winning his belts through the super series instead of having a conventional career path many wouldn’t have seen him fight before, I know I never knew who he was until the Prograis fight.
That’s a really good point actually. Was that on channel 5? I watched some of it but can’t remember

Deery

Dreary
That’s a really good point actually. Was that on channel 5? I watched some of it but can’t remember
I’m not really sure but I caught some of it on Sky arena, no sure if they had the full event though.

Oggmonster

He probably suffers from the lack of other big names in the division a well.

Obviously Hatton took the UK and in particularly Manchester by storm but there's not been many more since then in the lighter weight classes. Frampton, Quigg, Crolla etc got no where near that level. Frampton was the biggest of them 3 in terms of following probably.

I'd say COVID is another factor. The Prograis fight was his big break out moment and then COVID hit so any big fight or one to hype up has never really happened so that's bad timing.

I did read smewhere BT and Sky were both interested but they didn't want to pay the money that was being asked for, I still think Taylor's team should of taken less and gone on to Sky where he'd of been hyped up loads and it would of benefitted him in the future if he wins.

lsd

The Oracle
Spence Vs Pacquiao has been signed looking forward to this and should makes more people aware of Spence as the best pound for pound boxer today

Inter Yer Nan

Spence Vs Pacquiao has been signed looking forward to this and should makes more people aware of Spence as the best pound for pound boxer today
Spence isn’t the best pound for pound and beating a 43 year old Pacquaio who’s been out for two years won’t prove it. Spence is very good, but he was life and death with Porter and clearly doesn’t want to fight Crawford. I’d say he has a case as a top 5 guy currently.

Inter Yer Nan

Unfortunately it may be the latter. While he’s not a one shot KO artist, he’s an exciting fighter. The Prograis fight was one of the most exciting fights of recent years.

I was telling a friend the other day how impressive he’s been.
Taylor’s combined last 5 opponents are 107-1, last six fights 136-1 with the loss being Postol to Crawford. This is the 4th or 5th time he’s been in a roughly 50/50 fight. It’s his 18th fight and he’s going for undisputed. Won the WBSS.

He’s always stepped up and risked it. In hindsight it doesn’t seem like it but the Davies fight was a battle of unbeaten prospects which people felt could go either way, Vazquez was a style nightmare and seen as a tricky step-up, then Postol was a huge jump in class and experience, of course there’s Baranchyk who was a dangerous puncher and unbeaten titlist, then Prograis (who was slightly favored) now this for all the marbles.

Realistically, if Taylor wins, I think he has to be viewed as the clear cut #1 British boxer pound-for-pound right now (I think he is already) AND to be honest, probably the most accomplished since Calzaghe in general. I actually believe he’s better than Hatton was. It’s just a shame not many people know about this.