The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Castia

He didn't choose the bigger purse? Thats the point!
Fighting Wilder the undefeated world WBC heavyweight Champion in his own back yard and you’re trying to paint that as a negative? Tell you what AJ wouldn’t take that fight even to this day.

AJ would get battered by Fury it wouldn’t even be close AJ hasn’t been the same since Ruiz spanked him.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Is he? Is that the best?

Because a better boxer just stepped up a weight to school him. If that's the "2nd or 3rd" best heavyweight we've ever had, then we are pretty lame. Because Joshua clearly isn't ever going to be any kind of great.

It's like Hatton's boy being given the win earlier despite clearly being bashed around the ring. You can't want people to watch this tripe for good money to keep it going, yet then get annoyed when they wonder why our great hope turns out to be a wet lettuce leaf.
What else do we have, genuinely? We've never done well at HW. We'll have to look at Cooper, who, with the greatest respect, was pretty shit across the border, and Bugner. Haye? The competition modest, to say the least.

ivaldo

Fighting Wilder the undefeated world WBC heavyweight Champion in his own back yard and you’re trying to paint that as a negative? Tell you what AJ wouldn’t take that fight even to this day.

AJ would get battered by Fury it wouldn’t even be close AJ hasn’t been the same since Ruiz spanked him.
Fighting Joshua, who was considered the best in the world, for double the money and 3x the belt is somehow considered the worse choice to you? What are you even trying to say?

Maybe he would. Which is all the more reason why it's ridiculous that a.) Joshua had to offer to fight him and not the other way around, and b.) he actually turned down the offer that was worth more money, more belts and more prestige.

Incredible.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Is he? Is that the best?

Because a better boxer just stepped up a weight to school him. If that's the "2nd or 3rd" best heavyweight we've ever had, then we are pretty lame. Because Joshua clearly isn't ever going to be any kind of great.

It's like Hatton's boy being given the win earlier despite clearly being bashed around the ring. You can't want people to watch this tripe for good money to keep it going, yet then get annoyed when they wonder why our great hope turns out to be a wet lettuce leaf.
Didn't catch that one. He is being super protected is he?

fergies coat

What else do we have, genuinely? We've never done well at HW. We'll have to look at Cooper, who, with the greatest respect, was pretty shit across the border, and Bugner. Haye? The competition modest, to say the least.
I think a prime Haye with his explosive style and fast hands would of been a nightmare for AJ.

ivaldo

I think a prime Haye with his explosive style and fast hands would of been a nightmare for AJ.
Possibly. Haye was one of the few CW's who carried his KO power forward. But then I think if he fought the same WK AJ fought he would've still lost. Either way I think an argument could still be made for AJ to be in the top 3 HWs Britain has produced, which says how poor we've been in this weight class!

Castia

Fighting Joshua, who was considered the best in the world, for double the money and 3x the belt is somehow considered the worse choice to you? What are you even trying to say?

Maybe he would. Which is all the more reason why it's ridiculous that a.) Joshua had to offer to fight him and not the other way around, and b.) he actually turned down the offer that was worth more money, more belts and more prestige.

Incredible.
Hadn’t Fury just come back at that point though? He’d had like 1 fight in almost 4 years and weight about 45 stone and was on the beer, I watched his interview with Gary Neville lately and he used Wilder ‘trash talking’ him as a motivation to get back to his best.

At that moment in time AJ would have probably beaten him due to the circumstances but if we’re talking about a 100% AJ vs 100% Fury my money is on Fury everytime.

They’ll never fight now. Fury will beat wilder again but AJ will be tied up in his rematch from tonight in the meantime the number 1 challenger for Fury’s WBC title will come up boxing is such a stupid sport.

The Hilton

To be clear, you'd say the first Wilder fight Fury took is tougher than any fight AJ has taken?
It being away from home, where a decision is extremely difficult to come by, yes I'd say so. You could maybe make an argument for Vlad but he was beltless, at Wembley, and at retirement age.

Joshua has only ever fought at home except for once, when he got badly beaten up. That's a big mark against him in the resume argument.

The Hilton

That's subjective. Personally, I think the Wlad AJ faced was far better. For the first time in forever he had trimmed down, actually seemed to have a strategy for his opponent, and had the hunger. He didn't respect Fury, and thought he was fighting just anther no mark challenger.

Tough bums? Are you seriously putting that forward?

It's not 'my rules.' You seemingly want to discuss technicalities instead of the quality of the opponent. The reason why you plainly refuse to list names is because you can't find any worth mentioning. After Wilder and WK we've genuinely looking at Schwarz and Chisora. Cunningham maybe? Hammer? I suppose the latter did put away channel 5s own Sprott...

Conversely, AJ has fought Uysk, Pulev, Wlad, Ruiz, Povetkin, Parker, Takem, Molina, Whyte etc. It's not even a discussion. Would they stack up to years gone by? No, but AJ still fought them. Fury didn't.
He didn't choose the bigger purse? Thats the point! The same nonsense was said regarding Wilder, until Wilder finally admitted last year he took LESS money to fight. Fury held no belts to AJs 3 at the time. But it's still maintained AJ ducked Wilder, just as it is that AJ ducked Fury.
If you think the retirement age Vlad who's invincible aura was long gone, at home with friendly judges was tougher than the one Fury fought then we're never going to agree.

You're right that the rank and file of Joshua's CV is better than that of Fury's, but Fury has more, and bigger, headlines.

Also, this is about it being better pre Usyk. That is a big name (with a big L next to it) on AJ's record.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Found a message I posted to my friends back in April 2019 where I said Usyk would be the “Anthony Joshua Killer”.

Vindicated. Fantastic performance.
Absolutely love the man.

ivaldo

Hadn’t Fury just come back at that point though? He’d had like 1 fight in almost 4 years and weight about 45 stone and was on the beer, I watched his interview with Gary Neville lately and he used Wilder ‘trash talking’ him as a motivation to get back to his best.

At that moment in time AJ would have probably beaten him due to the circumstances but if we’re talking about a 100% AJ vs 100% Fury my money is on Fury everytime.

They’ll never fight now. Fury will beat wilder again but AJ will be tied up in his rematch from tonight in the meantime the number 1 challenger for Fury’s WBC title will come up boxing is such a stupid sport.
Right, so how is this a negative on Joshua? Bear in mind he had offered the fight, as well as offered to fight Wilder, as well as _actually_ fighting the best of the rest. Fury's condition is his own issue. I'm genuinely not sure what point you're trying to make.

ivaldo

If you think the retirement age Vlad who's invincible aura was long gone, at home with friendly judges was tougher than the one Fury fought then we're never going to agree.

You're right that the rank and file of Joshua's CV is better than that of Fury's, but Fury has more, and bigger, headlines.

Also, this is about it being better pre Usyk. That is a big name (with a big L next to it) on AJ's record.
He got knocked out. It could've been his dad as ref and it wouldn't have mattered. And his 'aura' was gone in one fight? Equally, and in WK's own words, he didn't prepare for the Fury fight like he did AJ. Game plan and physical fitness was different gravy.

So now you're acknowledging that Joshua had taken the harder fights. What's the problem then? Pre Uysk and it's still incredibly lopsided.

The Hilton

He got knocked out. It could've been his dad as ref and it wouldn't have mattered. And his 'aura' was gone in one fight? Equally, and in WK's own words, he didn't prepare for the Fury fight like he did AJ. Game plan and physical fitness was different gravy.

So now you're acknowledging that Joshua had taken the harder fights. What's the problem then? Pre Uysk and it's still incredibly lopsided.
That isn't what I said at all, I said the rank and file (who they're both miles better than) of Joshua's CV is a bit better, but Fury has more headlines, and they're better than Joshua's headlines. That to me makes Fury's CV better, rather than a slightly higher calibre of bums in filler fights.

Anyway, you've gone from rating one day from retired Vlad over undisputed champion Vlad (which I disagree, but it's your opinion), to completely misrepresenting my arguments, which means this is pointless. As you said earlier, this is all subjective anyway, so lets agree to disagree as it's only gonna get more circular, and having to deal with strawman arguments is beyond what I can be bothered with.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It being away from home, where a decision is extremely difficult to come by, yes I'd say so. You could maybe make an argument for Vlad but he was beltless, at Wembley, and at retirement age.

Joshua has only ever fought at home except for once, when he got badly beaten up. That's a big mark against him in the resume argument.
Your second paragraph isn't true but fair enough if you think Wilder is harder than any fight AJ has had. I'll respectfully disagree.

The Hilton

Your second paragraph isn't true but fair enough if you think Wilder is harder than any fight AJ has had. I'll respectfully disagree.
When else has Joshua travelled abroad for fights at the top level? If I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but I only know of the Ruiz fight.

As for disagreeing, that's fair, it's a subjective thing, the biggest takeaway for me is that it's quite close with people making arguments both ways.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The minute he had that Apollo Creed style entrance followed by playing the song that plays in Rocky after Apollo dies... You knew he's getting beaten the feck up :lol:

Deery

Dreary
Usyk is the best boxer ever lived anyone says different doesn’t know boxing..

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Two of those cards were waaay too lopsided imo. I had it 114-114 personally. 115-113 for either would have been fine, but 117-112??? How?

Usyk is small and he never had exceptional KO power in the first place, otherwise he'd dominate the division. Technically he's quite obviously the best HW around right now with Fury

Think AJ can beat him in a rematch, but he needs to fight more behind the jab and be more aggressive, come forward more, force Usyk to take more risks. And put in more work to the body. Can't be the one in survival mode in the 12th round...

Red_Aaron

Fantastic performance from Usyk, thoroughly deserved the victory and glad to see the judges called it correct.

AJ simply wasn't busy enough for me. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I can understand the approach of letting Usyk tire early on and going for the win late. That he was still dancing in the championship rounds with that extra weight is a real testament to him. AJ barely threw a combination all night, he gave the judges no option really.

AJ just looked like he lacked confidence the whole fight. Maybe the left hand he caught early, mostly on the neck, hurt him. Maybe the ruiz memories held him back some. Maybe he just had an off night, that's top level sport, it happens.

The rematch could be a cracker though because AJ really has no choice but to go the other way. He'll beef up to feck and throw bombs for as long as he can. Could spark Usyk or be completely dead on his feet by round 6

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Tough fight for AJ ... was not confident at all because Usyk on paper is exactly what should be his kryptonite - fast moving, bundles of stamina and ring craft. There was a gulf in class.

It’s not the worst loss for AJ because it proves he would have been schooled by Fury but does he have it in him to learn from the defeat? Possibly but may also be an indication that this is his ceiling as a boxer and he can’t take it any further.

Could he have let his hands go more? Yes but you also need to be able to work the opportunities to be able to do that and he just was so slow in terms of his combinations and Usyk showed no let down in concentration or movement - a truly world class fighter.

Wilder for me has a much better chin than AJ and that alone puts him in a higher category as he is more prepared to get hurt to let that bomb detonate whereas AJ has scars in that respect even though he is superior technically.

Fury is different gravy to both and would love to see him fight Usyk. It wouldn’t be super interesting for the neutral but for the purist it will be a very technical fight and come down to points.

GueRed

Casual boxing fan here (although i was a massive fight fan in the 90's and 00's)

Joshua is a fine specimen of an athlete, a powerhouse and decent boxer he just lacks that aggression those fighter instincts and movements to dig deep.

He's still too robotic for me.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Two of those cards were waaay too lopsided imo. I had it 114-114 personally. 115-113 for either would have been fine, but 117-112??? How?

Usyk is small and he never had exceptional KO power in the first place, otherwise he'd dominate the division. Technically he's quite obviously the best HW around right now with Fury

Think AJ can beat him in a rematch, but he needs to fight more behind the jab and be more aggressive, come forward more, force Usyk to take more risks. And put in more work to the body. Can't be the one in survival mode in the 12th round...
I am no boxing expert but to me there was no way that was 114-114. Usyk definitely had that

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
AJ seems unsure of his defensive durability. I think he’s shit scared of being knocked out again and it shows with his lack of offence.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Not sure I'd wanna see a Fury Usyk fight. I don't think either fighter is boring (far from it) but I think it would produce a boring fight.

Andersons Dietician

Wilder for me has a much better chin than AJ
How many times has Wilder been knocked down? He doesn’t get rocked by jabs. AJ is like a heavyweight Khan but not as bad.
Wilder gets rocked in pretty much every fight he’s ever in. He‘s been clipped by bums and done the wobbly leg in most fights. He doesn’t have a great chin at all.
He’s also only ever fought Ortiz and Fury. If he’d not been protected his entire carear he’d have fought the likes of Parker, Whyte and so on, In which case he would be a no one as all of them would have beaten him. Pretty sure even Chatlie Z had him shook.

His camp thought they could get Fury unfit and early and get a win and now we are stuck in this moment not getting the best fights.

markhughes

Joshua is clearly gun-shy after the Ruiz loss, even though he won the titles back previously he did that by staying on the outside against an out of shape (even more so than usual) Andy Ruiz, it wasn't emphatic.

His only chance to avenge this defeat would be to come in heavier and go for the knockout early, the problem is that Usyk has great footwork and pinning him down would be very difficult, also it didn't look like AJ could take his shots on the way in.

Like many fights in boxing these days we will see AJ and Fury when they are out of their prime, if we ever see it at all.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Anything come out post fight about how Joshua is doing? He didnt look in a good way after the bell.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Casual boxing fan here (although i was a massive fight fan in the 90's and 00's)

Joshua is a fine specimen of an athlete, a powerhouse and decent boxer he just lacks that aggression those fighter instincts and movements to dig deep.

He's still too robotic for me.
The problem with this era of super, giant HW's is that the majority of them are massive, immobile donkeys with only Fury being an anomaly in being so large yet so incredibly mobile. A cruiserweight coming up and taking his speed and mobility with him whilst being able to withstand heavyweight blows is going to make them look slower and less mobile than they are relative to each other, so Usyk's movement - which was already top class a weight class down - is going to amplify things and distort perception because in this day and age, your generic heavyweight cannot stick and move and display that kind of perpetual lateral movement.

Joshua was quicker and more mobile than he has been and that would be reflected against any other heavyweight sans Fury and obviously Usyk.