Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

caid

Oh and i probably should have told you to go through the undead burg sewers to get to blighttown, you can from the place with the ghosts but its a much later point in the game, along with pukey cliff dragon.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I've missed your posts in here, but if you need any more help then just say. As a tip, there's a katana you can get up the top of Blighttown (depending which way you came in) that can last you the whole game and is very cool to use.

Also you should be doing Blighttown way before the area with the ghosts (you pick up transient curses for them btw, then they drop more as you go so they become no problem at all).
I think I’m probably fairly over-levelled at this stage because I’ve destroyed most of that ghost area and I feel pretty strong in Blighttown aside from the poison build up. Been collecting loads of those purple moss clumps so I can try another run later.

TrustInJanuzaj

Oh and i probably should have told you to go through the undead burg sewers to get to blighttown, you can from the place with the ghosts but its a much later point in the game, along with pukey cliff dragon.
I just sprinted past the pukey dragon to get into Blighttown the first time because I didn’t have the key to the gate. Anyway managed to get the key now so my main access in seems to be from Ghost area.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think I’m probably fairly over-levelled at this stage because I’ve destroyed most of that ghost area and I feel pretty strong in Blighttown aside from the poison build up. Been collecting loads of those purple moss clumps so I can try another run later.
Yeah, it's the nature of the beast. Trust me though, you don't want to grind and over level yourself as you are going to miss out on some great moments coming up if you just walk through them. (Blighttown you can be forgiven for, as it's annoying. Though imagine that at <30fps!!!)

TrustInJanuzaj

Missed these
I think you can stick with long sword for the first run through, keep it upgraded and it works. There's better weapons and i think better versions of the same weapon but if you really like it then you can use it. I think the drake sword is good up to a point but after a certain point weapons like the longsword will outclass it because they can be upgraded more. I think endurance increases your carry capacity, which lets you move fast in heavier armor. Not sure armor is that valuable in the first dark souls. Not sure it decreases the damage you take by much and slows you down enough that you start getting hit more. I think it kind of rewards an all or nothing approach where you're either naked and dodge everything or in havels armor (heaviest armor in the game) and just block everything.
Yeh I got the Drake sword after cheating slightly and watching a video and it’s just op in those starting areas. Read afew things online though that apparently it teaches bad habits so that might catch me up down the road. I’m rocking the Elite Knight armour at the moment which seems fairly decent and I have my weight limit pretty high due to having ‘Havel’s Ring’ and ‘Ring of Favor and Protection’. I found the Grass Crest shield which I’m enjoying for that extra stamina regen. I still feel very overwhelmed but definitely feeling better than 5/6 hours ago!

TrustInJanuzaj

Yeah, it's the nature of the beast. Trust me though, you don't want to grind and over level yourself as you are going to miss out on some great moments coming up if you just walk through them. (Blighttown you can be forgiven for, as it's annoying. Though imagine that at <30fps!!!)
Okay will keep that in mind. I’ll head back into Blighttown then and try clear that out then move on.

Ainu

Is that a real thing?
It's obviously not called swag sword in the game. :lol: But yes, Balder Side Sword, which can be picked up from the Balder Knights in the Undead Parish with some moderate farming. It's an excellent sword that generally gets recommended by players and can last you a very long time. I actually finished the game + DLC with it.

Ainu

Still the Uchitanga and Gargoyles Halberd for me.

But as has always been the biggest genius of souls, and why all the clones ultimately fail to live up, you can literally beat it with anything.
The Uchi is great and I think I've used it in both DS2 and 3. It's one of my go to weapons in my current Demon's Souls PS5 run as well, unless I'm in a world that requires blunt or piercing weapons.

TrustInJanuzaj

Still the Uchitanga and Gargoyles Halberd for me.

But as has always been the biggest genius of souls, and why all the clones ultimately fail to live up, you can literally beat it with anything.
Think I might have that one but haven’t tried it. The weapons are a little overwhelming to be honest. I just feel comfortable now with the move set of the swords. How important is parrying btw? I very rarely risk it because I invariably screw up but it does seem strong if the timing is right.

Redlambs

Think I might have that one but haven’t tried it. The weapons are a little overwhelming to be honest. I just feel comfortable now with the move set of the swords. How important is parrying btw? I very rarely risk it because I invariably screw up but it does seem strong if the timing is right.
You can beat the game without it, but it is strong and very satisfying. If you don't like it, don't worry. Again another huge strength of these games is there's always another way to play :)

TrustInJanuzaj

You can beat the game without it, but it is strong and very satisfying. If you don't like it, don't worry. Again another huge strength of these games is there's always another way to play :)
Yeh I won’t lie it is satisfying. Maybe something I’ll have to consciously try and practice a little more.

Ainu

You can safely ignore parrying. Some people swear by it, especially for one particular fight, but I never got comfortable enough with it to use it frequently. Barely used it throughout all 4 souls games.

Redlambs

Yeh I won’t lie it is satisfying. Maybe something I’ll have to consciously try and practice a little more.
It will click. Just try to keep on mind you don't have to use it for everything! You can parry some bosses, some most enemies, and it can get you out of the shite when you are surrounded...however there's often better options. Basically don't beat yourself up about having to use it in every encounter.

caid

Claymore still gets my vote. In the first Dark Souls more than any other. The stabby heavy attack is just op. Its the weapon for bads looking to cheese their way through the game (ie me).

caid

I just sprinted past the pukey dragon to get into Blighttown the first time because I didn’t have the key to the gate. Anyway managed to get the key now so my main access in seems to be from Ghost area.
So have you fought the gaping dragon? Boss with lots and lots of teeth.

Yeh I got the Drake sword after cheating slightly and watching a video and it’s just op in those starting areas. Read afew things online though that apparently it teaches bad habits so that might catch me up down the road. I’m rocking the Elite Knight armour at the moment which seems fairly decent and I have my weight limit pretty high due to having ‘Havel’s Ring’ and ‘Ring of Favor and Protection’. I found the Grass Crest shield which I’m enjoying for that extra stamina regen. I still feel very overwhelmed but definitely feeling better than 5/6 hours ago!
Pinwheel gives a mask thats good for that too, with the added benefit of being creepy and weird looking.

TrustInJanuzaj

So have you fought the gaping dragon? Boss with lots and lots of teeth.
I have not, don’t think I’ve met him yet. Honestly the world design gets me spinning abit but in a good kind of way. Got to delve back onto it now and try and explore blighttown and see where that leads me!

TrustInJanuzaj

Have you even fought the Capra Demon? Kind of seems like you went via the ghosts from the off?
To be honest I don’t often know who’s a boss and who’s not. I’ve beaten that Taurus creature near the bridge, the butterfly thing, obviously the starting one and the one near the blacksmith, maybe that’s the one with the teeth? Kind of cheesed that one by using the stairs to my advantage.

Ainu

To be honest I don’t often know who’s a boss and who’s not. I’ve beaten that Taurus creature near the bridge, the butterfly thing, obviously the starting one and the one near the blacksmith, maybe that’s the one with the teeth? Kind of cheesed that one by using the stairs to my advantage.
Capra Demon is in a tiny room with stairs and a couple of dogs which are a terrible distraction. I'm not sure which one you're referring to near the blacksmith with the teeth.

caid

It doesn’t help I can’t remember any of the creature or place names!
Do you remember that area with the dragon breathing fire on the bridge? You must do having gotten the sword off him. Theres a locked door on the same side as Solaire (so opposite side to where dragon was perched) that leads into Lower Undead Burg. Capra Demon is the boss of that area, you'd remember him if you fought him. Him and his 2 dogs tend to murder you the second you step in the room. From there you'll continue on into 'the depths' which is a sewer area with frog like enemies. After that you'll open up a gate into the top of Blighttown. The area you were coming in, by the cliffs with the dragon, is about half way down. At the bottom of that you'll fight Quelaag and after beating her you'll get a cutscene that shows a door opening that should be familiar. Its called Sen's Fortress. That'll keep you going for a good while.

TrustInJanuzaj

I'm guessing he means the Titanate (sp?) demon you first fight before the garden.

@TrustInJanuzaj you are going some weird ass way, but I totally respect it. The game was made that way :lol:
Hahah fair enough, I feel like I’m going all over the shop! That’s the thing though there’s no obvious direction and I feel like because I don’t have the master key I couldn’t get through some areas.

TrustInJanuzaj

Do you remember that area with the dragon breathing fire on the bridge? You must do having gotten the sword off him. Theres a locked door on the same side as Solaire (so opposite side to where dragon was perched) that leads into Lower Undead Burg. Capra Demon is the boss of that area, you'd remember him if you fought him. Him and his 2 dogs tend to murder you the second you step in the room. From there you'll continue on into 'the depths' which is a sewer area with frog like enemies. After that you'll open up a gate into the top of Blighttown. The area you were coming in, by the cliffs with the dragon, is about half way down. At the bottom of that you'll fight Quelaag and after beating her you'll get a cutscene that shows a door opening that should be familiar. Its called Sen's Fortress. That'll keep you going for a good while.
Somehow I have seen absolutely none of that. I’ve come into Blightown a completely different way. I think I know where you mean now, but when I tried that door under the dragon bridge I didn’t have the key at the time, maybe I do now tbf!

Ainu

Hahah fair enough, I feel like I’m going all over the shop! That’s the thing though there’s no obvious direction and I feel like because I don’t have the master key I couldn’t get through some areas.
The master key is actually NOT what you'd need if you want to play things in the "right" sequence. The feeling of going all over the place is normal for a first Dark Souls playthrough.

Redlambs

You have definitely missed a lot of the early areas you are supposed to go through :lol:

Though to be fair, it is so easy to do. I bet you haven't even met Havel yet! I'm so envious ;)

Redlambs

Torn between Elder Lilies or Hades. Someone choose for me.
Not played Elder Lilies but it's on my list. Hades is great, though I do think people over rate it mostly because of the mythology, gameplay wise it's good but a tad formulaic. Dead Cells (which I played through as heavily roughly the same time) was better for me, by a fair way.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Not played Elder Lilies but it's on my list. Hades is great, though I do think people over rate it mostly because of the mythology, gameplay wise it's good but a tad formulaic. Dead Cells (which I played through as heavily roughly the same time) was better for me, by a fair way.
Yeah Dead Cells looks great too! Leaning more towards Elder Lilies personally.

TrustInJanuzaj

You have definitely missed a lot of the early areas you are supposed to go through :lol:

Though to be fair, it is so easy to do. I bet you haven't even met Havel yet! I'm so envious ;)
I have met Havel, he hit hard, not too bad for backstabs though!

caid

Somehow I have seen absolutely none of that. I’ve come into Blightown a completely different way. I think I know where you mean now, but when I tried that door under the dragon bridge I didn’t have the key at the time, maybe I do now tbf!
Yeah you get the key after fighting the Gargoyles. You'll definitely have it by now anyway.

TrustInJanuzaj

Update: Managed to take out Qualag first time. I’m deffo pretty levelled out I think. Wasn’t easy mind you! The upgraded flask is a lifesaver!