Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Just finished Cuphead. Took a week to 100%

Whilst it was difficult, especially the final two bosses, this was no harder than a game like Devil May Cry 3 or Ninja Gaiden. I think it's rep of being notoriously challenging plays mental tricks on people. It is very doable. And I would consider myself an average gamer.

Can someone recommend an indie game on switch that is difficult but also designed for short burst gameplay?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Just finished Cuphead. Took a week to 100%

Whilst it was difficult, especially the final two bosses, this was no harder than a game like Devil May Cry 3 or Ninja Gaiden. I think it's rep of being notoriously challenging plays mental tricks on people. It is very doable. And I would consider myself an average gamer.

Can someone recommend an indie game on switch that is difficult but also designed for short burst gameplay?
Hotline Miami is on switch isn't it :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I want to add Shovel Knight to my Switch watchlist but there appears to be multiple versions of the game on the digital store...

Which is the correct one?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
[QUOTE="Vidyoyo, post: 28366162, member: 89235"]
The gameplay is basic but it's an impactful game, the brooding tone and general eeriness is brilliant.

INSIDE is even stranger and without giving too many plot points away, a more aimed game at how people's thoughts are manipulated. Both are conceptual, maybe even abstract, but they're Danish and it figures because that's the land of Lars Von Trier and bacon.

They're both as far from the usual fun-filled gaming escapism you can get (which may or may not appeal).
[/QUOTE]
To be fair, I don't mind that. I like games that provided different experiences and aren't just a pick and smash type one. But I also do like some gameplay unless thr narrative is brilliant.

Hotline Miami is on switch isn't it :lol:
Really fun game.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Anyone played Lake? It came to gamepass recently.

If you haven't - it's narrative-driven adventure game where you deliver post around a small provisional town, set unsurprisingly next to a lake.

It's driven by conversations you have with the denizens, who you once knew 20 years prior. It's absolutely full of bugs and feels like it's held together by a shoestring, but somehow it works. It's a wholesome story about going back to your roots to discover who you really are.

Somebody on steam summed it up by saying it's a cross between Gilmore Girls and the quieter parts of Shenmue.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

If you haven't - it's narrative-driven adventure game where you deliver post around a small provisional town, set unsurprisingly next to a lake.

It's driven by conversations you have with the denizens, who you once knew 20 years prior. It's absolutely full of bugs and feels like it's held together by a shoestring, but somehow it works. It's a wholesome story about going back to your roots to discover who you really are.

Somebody on steam summed it up by saying it's a cross between Gilmore Girls and the quieter parts of Shenmue.
That's a great idea for a game, call it "the volcano" and have it all leading up to a big ending, with everyone expecting some volcano shizzle but instead, you just don't even put a volcano in the game. Then watch as the internet tries to decipher what the volcano was and what the game meant.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Sounds right up my alley! I just went to PSN and couldn't find this. I'm sure I saw this available for PS4 at one stage :(

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Ah! It's not on PS4 apparently, just Xbox and PC.
The lord giveth, the lord taketh away. Just been looking, I think it was meant for a PS4 release too but seems not so now. Shame, sounds good.

You'd probably like it actually. It's set in 1986 and has a fair few cultural references.
You callin' me old by any chance? :)

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Started and finished quite a few games over the Christmas and New Year period on the Switch:

Bayonetta 2
Pikuniku
Oxenfree
Gris

Currently playing Untitled Goose Game.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I recommend the forgotten city, the game started as a mod by one person for skyrim and it grew to be a standalone game, it's based around a time loop idea set in a roman city where if anyone sins everyone is punished.

It's a bit like majora's mask I guess but more story focused. It doesn't have the polish of an aaa game but it's worth a try so go for it if that's your thing.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I recommend the forgotten city, the game started as a mod by one person for skyrim and it grew to be a standalone game, it's based around a time loop idea set in a roman city where if anyone sins everyone is punished.

It's a bit like majora's mask I guess but more story focused. It doesn't have the polish of an aaa game but it's worth a try so go for it if that's your thing.
That's next on my list. I've heard good things and the time loop sounds interesting.

Obligatory it's on gamepass mention

Ainu

Finished Ys: Memories of Celceta yesterday. I ended up liking it after all, it just took a while to really get going. I'll get Ys IX at some point but it's time for something different. I'm playing the Shenmue 1 now, a game I never got to experience back in the day. Without any nostalgia to fall back on, this might be a rough experience, but I'm trying to approach it as a game of its time. Still though, those dialogues. :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
@Dirty Schwein I got Cuphead and started it but wtf? Literally the first area is spammed with enemies all around the screen. :lol:

I take it you have to play hitless as there is no way to heal?
Good man, good man!!!

Mate, the first island is easy peasy, wait until you get later down the game, some of those run & gun stages are far more annoying :lol:

Yeah, there is no healing so you have to go with the 3 lives you have (although you can buy upgrades to have more lives at the expense of your attack power).

My advice is to buy the invincible dash upgrade as soon as you can followed by the charge weapon and the chaser weapon. That combo is what I used most of the time (although there are certain levels where you have to switch that combo up).

Don't be intimidated by the hype, the game isn't that difficult and you can definitely beat it. I did it in about a week, playing an hour or so a day.

Edit: Also make sure you collect all the coins, you need those for upgrades and to get the 100% achievement. Search around the maps, some are hidden.

b82REZ

You have to start looking through the pictures and animations on Cuphead. It's the gaming equivalent of a magic eye.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
That's next on my list. I've heard good things and the time loop sounds interesting.

Obligatory it's on gamepass mention
It's a tad janky, after all its the work of a very small team but a lot of care has been put into it and the plot does have some interesting elements to it so definitely worth checking out.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Last time you told me upgrade your nail and you'd be walking like Stone Cold around Hallownest bitchlapping everything in sight and that's what happened, so I'm gonna see how this one goes. :D
Good memory :lol:

I'm usually right! Hopefully you'll enjoy the game, that's the most important thing. I'm already looking forward to the DLC.

Moby

Dick
Good memory :lol:

I'm usually right! Hopefully you'll enjoy the game, that's the most important thing. I'm already looking forward to the DLC.
It's great fun and like you said not too intense or anything.

Beat two bosses the carrot and the flowers. Struggling on the last phase of the frogs though.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It's great fun and like you said not too intense or anything.

Beat two bosses the carrot and the flowers. Struggling on the last phase of the frogs though.
Yeah the last phase of those frogs is the first time the difficulty goes up. But with a bit of practice, it's not too bad.

Find that blue ball of a boss if you can. He's close by and the easiest boss in the game.

Moby

Dick
Yeah the last phase of those frogs is the first time the difficulty goes up. But with a bit of practice, it's not too bad.

Find that blue ball of a boss if you can. He's close by and the easiest boss in the game.
Got those toad turds a while later but getting B- grade at best..

No idea about that blue ball. Do we HAVE to do all run and guns? I did one, have the invisible dash and that stronger attack but looks like all my paths are closed.

The dice guy asks me to pay the debtors, no idea how to do that. :lol:

b82REZ

Got those toad turds a while later but getting B- grade at best..

No idea about that blue ball. Do we HAVE to do all run and guns? I did one, have the invisible dash and that stronger attack but looks like all my paths are closed.

The dice guy asks me to pay the debtors, no idea how to do that. :lol:
You have to beat all the bosses before the dice guy will let you pass. He blocks the path at the end of each of island.

Moby

Dick
You have to beat all the bosses before the dice guy will let you pass. He blocks the path at the end of each of island.
Hmm. I checked around and only see one run and gun spot left, rest was done. Will probably check again.

Bosses are ok, run and guns not so much so hope that's not gonna be mandatory. :lol: