Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Going to spoiler this for others
Am I right in thinking I need to beat the White Palace to be able to fight Radiance?
I can't quite remember the order but I think you beat White Palace to get the Kingsmould charm. Then you can head into black egg temple and fight Kollow Knight. However, if you go to the Abyss before going to black egg temple, you can change the Kingsmould for Void Heart. Once you do that, then you kill HK in the black egg temple, you have to dream nail him before his death to fight radiance... Something like that...

Probably been asked before - but something I thought about the other day: do you think you'll become too old for games one day?

Can you see yourself as a 50, 60, 70, 80...year old gamer?

And, if so - in what way? Will you be keeping up with the latest stuff - or will you be re-playing old games?

Do you think the gaming industry will move in the direction of - so to speak - accommodating "senior" gamers?

Here and now, I see that the teenage son of my current girlfriend is heavily into several of the games I enjoy myself. Which is a bit weird. Not least since he's not a very good gamer (he uses cheat codes!). But at the same time he's also into (online, mainly) stuff that I have zero interest in. And games on platforms that are entirely alien to me as a gamer: I have never felt even the slightest urge to check out the current generation of Android/Apple games.

But it's pretty cool that an old fart like me can bond with a kid over a video game - he absolutely loves GTA (his mother hates it, of course) and looks forward to GTA 6 just like me.

ETA There surely is a huge difference between games and, say, movies or popular music in this regard: GTA 6 will be anticipated and embraced by people ranging from their early teens to - at least - their 50s, I'd estimate. That would be unthinkable with a movie or a release by a musical artist. (Nevermind a work of literature).
I used to love fighting games but even at 30 years old, my reactions slowed down massively so I'm not as good at them anymore.

I guess I'll most keep playing indie platform games and stuff as well as party games like Mario Kart but the days of playing long adventure games are already over for me.

If the gaming industry goes further into Metaverse/Fortnite territory, I'll probably tap out.

Meller

Anyone tried both Metro exodus and Deathloop for the PS5? Looking for a cheap but still good game as I only have FIFA at the moment and I want to play a decent shooter.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Anyone tried both Metro exodus and Deathloop for the PS5? Looking for a cheap but still good game as I only have FIFA at the moment and I want to play a decent shooter.
Not tried the PS5 version but Metro exodus is a really good game. Just know that it's meant to be very analog/slow/methodical rather than a quick bang bang shooter.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It was given a shot by me after years. What a blunder.
Yeah I can't get into FIFA at all. Every year - especially now PES is shit - I think about buying it and then after watching some gameplay decide not to.

I came across a good Reddit post a few months back (which I can't find now) that explained how the game has become more competitive as Ultimate Team has taken over and how the whole game has lost its fun factor. Everything is about the 'meta' and the core gameplay is tweaked to accommodate how online players play - largely addressing their weird need for maximising their team spirit(?) and ramping up silly shit like how OP tricks are.

Shame really. People who enjoy football but aren't into UT are dying for a good football game and EA aren't delivering (IMO ofc).

amolbhatia50k

Fell for the sale discount? :lol:
Yes :(

I've evaded FIFA like a rash for ages. And due to the efootball fiasco I thought if giving this a shot. After the glitter and glamor of the presentation, I just can't deal with the woeful gameplay. I really don't know how people like this shit. Back to PES 2021 for me. It's old now but it'll do.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I've started to use surround sound (well, technically 5.0) for Xbox and PS5 and I'm kinda disappointed in it.

I expected the two back speakers to throw the sound forward more. It's great, as long as I'm sitting in between the speakers, but when I sit closer to my TV I have a hard time noticing their sound. It's like they don't project sound forward? Oh well.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I've started to use surround sound (well, technically 5.0) for Xbox and PS5 and I'm kinda disappointed in it.

I expected the two back speakers to throw the sound forward more. It's great, as long as I'm sitting in between the speakers, but when I sit closer to my TV I have a hard time noticing their sound. It's like they don't project sound forward? Oh well.
You need to set the distances from speakers on your sitting position. This will change how they perform. Most will be defaulted to the same distance between all speakers. However most people normally sit closer to the rear speakers.

Also changing the "mode" (cinema, Dolby, music) etc can change alot.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
You need to set the distances from speakers on your sitting position. This will change how they perform. Most will be defaulted to the same distance between all speakers. However most people normally sit closer to the rear speakers.

Also changing the "mode" (cinema, Dolby, music) etc can change alot.
Setting them up was a nightmare with PS5! Yeah, and I guess I'll just have to put up with it because I don't want to leave them in the middle of the room. They're great for when I'm lying in bed watching a movie, though!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Setting them up was a nightmare with PS5! Yeah, and I guess I'll just have to put up with it because I don't want to leave them in the middle of the room. They're great for when I'm lying in bed watching a movie, though!
Depending on the device used for surround sound, you can set them on there, like pick speaker rear left and set it to 3.0m or whatever. So you wouldn't need to move them, but they'd adjust the volumes/tones of the speakers to match your sitting position.

amolbhatia50k

So I've enjoyed my time with Shadow of War but struggling to get through it now as it's rinse and repeat beyond a certain point. Will likely watch the cutscenes on YouTube and move on. I think they overdid the nemesis system and under cooked the main narrative. And by narrative I don't mean that it's short - if anything it's bloated - but more that it could have been more focused and everything just feels so generic, to give players who aren't going to delve that deep I thr nemesis system a tight experience which doesn't take ages.

All in all, a fairly enjoyable game that needed better structure. The Witcher style expansive game doesn't fit with a game that's all about the same combat and little else. IMO.

Next up is Far Cry 5.

Ainu

Just started playing Tunic on PC after reading so many good things about it. I've done the first boss and rang the bell, so early doors yet, but it's an easy game to fall in love with. The world design, the exploration, the combat, the music, the instruction manual, it's all pretty awesome.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Just started playing Tunic on PC after reading so many good things about it. I've done the first boss and rang the bell, so early doors yet, but it's an easy game to fall in love with. The world design, the exploration, the combat, the music, the instruction manual, it's all pretty awesome.
It looks beautiful, I'm pretty salty it's not being released for the Switch

Chairman Steve

The real Monkey Island 3 is coming

I wonder if they’re going to reveal whether the long standing fan theory was true or not

Not actually real pirates but a bunch of children role playing as pirates in a pirate themed theme park called Monkey Island

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Have been playing a lot of Genshin Impact – I play it with my daughter but have managed to get completely sucked into the game! So much depth and content there – especially considering it's a free game.

It's also very cool that you can play completely cross-platform – so when my daughter was travelling in the States, she played on her iPad and I could join via the PlayStation :)

Superunknown

Here is my (6 years, late!) review of The Last Guardian.

I found it to be a mixed bag. In some ways, the most beautiful game I've ever played. And in other ways, one of the most frustrating.

I know that it started life as a PS3 game and I can see why it had such problems running on that system. The frame rate would have been laughable.

I loved the art style. It was beautiful and some of the sequences were breathtaking.

They story was simple, yet effective.

The knock against the game is a huge one. The controls, in 2022, anyway, are abysmal. You spend half your time either getting trico to do what you want or trying to jump from it on to a platform. I felt like a trophy should have popped every time that I managed to jump from it.

7/10. And if not for the shitty controls, this game was a 9 or even a 10.
I adore this game and had such a great time with it. I played Ico for the first time a couple of years before playing this and fell in love with it, despite its age. It's one of those games that I wish I had played a lot sooner and can fully get the hype and iconic status surrounding it. I haven't got around to playing Shadow just yet.

The controls are the one thing that people seem to be mentioning whenever you ask them for their opinion on the game. It's not the easiest game in the world to control and you do spend a bit of time fighting against it. But, the experience that I had with the game was such a great one that I learned to just live with the controls. The ending got me good. Loved Trico as a character and as a companion during the game. Hope we get something else from Ueda, he's too good a creator not to be making new games or media.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
They invested way, way, WAY too much into Skylanders.
They made billions from it so I don't think they have any regrets but yeah, I'd have preferred they have just released more Crash and Spyro (actual Spyro, not the Skylanders monstrosity) games over the period instead.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They made billions from it so I don't think they have any regrets but yeah, I'd have preferred they have just released more Crash and Spyro (actual Spyro, not the Skylanders monstrosity) games over the period instead.
They did? I thought it was a bit of a damp squid? Like they made feck tons of toys and shit hoping it would be like a pokemon style game and it wasn't popular. Maybe it sold a lot for young kids dunno.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Quest 2 suggestions? Native only, no PC required.

Got Population Zero, Star Wars Vadar, Beat Sabre, Pistol Whip, Eleven Table Tennis, Thrill of the Fight.

Golf, Superhot, Climb all look good but unsure if they're worth the price.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Quest 2 suggestions? Native only, no PC required.

Got Population Zero, Star Wars Vadar, Beat Sabre, Pistol Whip, Eleven Table Tennis, Thrill of the Fight.

Golf, Superhot, Climb all look good but unsure if they're worth the price.
Superhot is the one of the best games on any VR. I'm not sure if you are still packing the timber and how flexible you are, but if you don't end up playing it thinking you are Neo and on the floor at some point, then you'd be the only one!

I can't remember the name right now, but the VR Streets of Rage (I want to say something Warrior?) is brilliantly done and a great workout. My boy swears by the Gorn and stride.

But of course, there's also Resident Evil 4. My favourite version of the best RE game to date.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Superhot is the one of the best games on any VR. I'm not sure if you are still packing the timber and how flexible you are, but if you don't end up playing it thinking you are Neo and on the floor at some point, then you'd be the only one!

I can't remember the name right now, but the VR Streets of Rage (I want to say something Warrior?) is brilliantly done and a great workout. My boy swears by the Gorn and stride.

But of course, there's also Resident Evil 4. My favourite version of the best RE game to date.
Haha I'm certainly carrying plenty of timber still but that doesn't mean I can't and won't be on the floor. Pistol Whip has already shown me that. I'll be surprised if my next knee dislocation isn't from playing vr at this rate (which is a sign of the state of things when it's not actual sport!).

Will check out Sunshine Arizona and look at the streets of rage thing.

RE4 is definitely on the list..

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Haha I'm certainly carrying plenty of timber still but that doesn't mean I can't and won't be on the floor. Pistol Whip has already shown me that. I'll be surprised if my next knee dislocation isn't from playing vr at this rate (which is a sign of the state of things when it's not actual sport!).

Will check out Sunshine Arizona and look at the streets of rage thing.

RE4 is definitely on the list..
Mate, I've literally fallen over the sofa playing Vr and I'm told it's not a pretty sight watching me try to contort my body to dodge bullets too :lol:

But sometimes, you just have to bullet time!

(Even if you pop a joint or two, or in my case every single one you have)