Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Nobody I know completed it :lol:

It's a fantastic game for around 6-8 hours and does an amazing job recreating the Aliens universe but it's so damn long!
Yeah, I really want to do it, Alien is right up there with my favourite films of all time and this game recreates the feel very well as you say.

Thing is, I’m only about 4 hours in and there’s no relief from the dread:lol:

I know it’s only a game and the alien isn’t real so why am I sneaking round at 0.5 mph trying to make zero sound? Bagofnerves.gif.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah, I really want to do it, Alien is right up there with my favourite films of all time and this game recreates the feel very well as you say.

Thing is, I’m only about 4 hours in and there’s no relief from the dread:lol:

I know it’s only a game and the alien isn’t real so why am I sneaking round at 0.5 mph trying to make zero sound? Bagofnerves.gif.
The original AvP games on PC were even better for atmosphere. Easily the best Alien games by a long way, though Isolation takes it in a different direction and is scary as hell.

Volumiza

The original AvP games on PC were even better for atmosphere. Easily the best Alien games by a long way, though Isolation takes it in a different direction and is scary as hell.
They were very good games and I loved the online multiplayer modes, genius they were. I personally think isolation trumps anything videogame-wise for atmosphere. The sound (especially through headphones) is incredible and the visuals are straight out of the movie.

Still, AVP, what a game!!! I lost many an hour to that back in the day.

Redlambs

They were very good games and I loved the online multiplayer modes, genius they were. I personally think isolation trumps anything videogame-wise for atmosphere. The sound (especially through headphones) is incredible and the visuals are straight out of the movie.

Still, AVP, what a game!!! I lost many an hour to that back in the day.
Yeah I think Isolation was a touch disappointing to me, as it didn't really do anything with that genre and as I say, there were shortcuts made (like the shadowing) which takes it down a few notches.

Still great though, if you ever get the chance do it in VR. You'll need fresh pants!

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yeah I think Isolation was a touch disappointing to me, as it didn't really do anything with that genre and as I say, there were shortcuts made (like the shadowing) which takes it down a few notches.

Still great though, if you ever get the chance do it in VR. You'll need fresh pants!
Is the enemy AI as impressive as some make it out to be?

Volumiza

I’ve just downloaded a game called treasure hunter simulator? Why? Feck knows! It looks sh*t. Anyway, I’m off the find my fortune.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
  • Far Cry 5 is superb. I'm so surprised at just how enjoyable this has been. Loved it. On the last region.
  • Been playing Metro Redux (2033) here and there over the last few months. Really really like these games. The atmosphere and tension is something that's just right for me.
  • Just got Lost Judgement. So far so good. Feels a bit limiting at times like all Yakuza game but good start.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Loved Death Stranding. Just wish they hadn't botched the last 5 per cent / ending.
Oh, I love it too. The pacing of the game is perfect for me. :D
Unskippable too? It's why i won't ever play ffx and mgs4 again. Great games otherwise
The cut-scenes are skippable but its annoying, and tiring, just keep pressing the skip button. And its not only the cut-scenes, its the dialogue too.
This being my 2nd full play-through , its all abit of a nuisance.

Will be downloading the DLC soon. Only a £5 on PS-Store.

Last edited:

b82REZ

Despite two attempts at DS I've never finished it.

That's not a slight on the game, I actually love it (bar the tedious BT sections), but for some reason I have drifted from it each attempt to finish it.

I was also underwhelmed with the PS5 upgrade/directors cut. Added very little and did barely anything with the controller. Still probably worth the small upgrade fee though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I started Death Stranding last week but haven't played it for about 4 days. I think I will soon but I'm not exactly desperate to jump back in.

I find the menus a bit all over the place. There are so many little things to keep track of.

RedDevilRoshi

Are the recent Hitman games any good (basically the trilogy - 1,2 & 3)?

I remember playing Hitman: Absolution years ago and throughly enjoyed it but haven’t played any of the trilogy Hitman games.

AaronRedDevil

Stopped play shadow of the colossus. Feck that game. Starting Death Stranding again. Might platinum it. Should keep me entertained for a long while.

Superunknown

For some reason I thought I’d download and play Alien Isolation last night. Never completed it. It’s scary as feck!
Nobody I know completed it :lol:

It's a fantastic game for around 6-8 hours and does an amazing job recreating the Aliens universe but it's so damn long!
Amazing, amazing game. I finished it, but have to agree that it's a little bit too long. The length of it is somewhat putting me off replaying it. Could easily have filled two games with the length of this one.

Although, it's also hard to gauge just how long the game is, as I seemingly spent a large proportion of it hidden in lockers. :lol: My wife and I played it through together and we had one playthrough where I only progressed along a couple of corridors with the Alien prowling nearby. Took me 3 hours, probably about 1 per corridor. Was just insane. The most tense I have ever felt during a game.

Felt genuinely exhausted by the time I finished it. The last couple of hours were a great finale.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I haven't played war strategy games since hearts of iron doomsday, so a looong time. What's a good recent game in the same style? Something that doesn't require too much micro-management.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Finally finished the Mass Effect Trilogy this weekend. Really enjoyed it.

1 is good but a bit rough. Feels like a proper RPG and has some of the best worlds in the series.

2 is still the best overall. The character interaction is meaningful and the whole illusive man/cerberus arc works great.

3 is a weird game. Fantastic combat but the focus on humans being the most important race in the galaxy is jarring, especially towards the end.

It's on game pass :cool:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
So I've been playing Paradise Killer this week which is surprisingly good fun.

It's a murder mystery detective quest set inside a surreal post-sense cyberwave lo-fi world. You play as Lady Love Lies and must solve the case of several gruesome deaths involving council members. There's other eccentric characters with names like Dr Doom Jazz and The Witness to the End.

While the writing is all over the place and incredibly hard to follow it's exciting hunting round the world for all the key items. They might be randomly placed at the top of massive cliffs, meaning you have to carefully scale upwards, or at the bottom of basins. Don't touch the water though. It hurts.

All in all, a very unique experience. Sort of what Sweet Square's Hypernormalisation thread would look like if you could play it.

It's on game pass :cool:

b82REZ

Grabbed Sifu. It's really good.

The level of difficulty has been overblown though. I got through the first stage on my first attempt, and went back and improved and finished the level at 24.

Admittedly the second level is a bit more difficult but I still wouldn't say it's prohibitively difficult. Just takes patience.

The physical edition also came with a download for the soundtrack which is excellent and some really nice artwork.

Redlambs

The level of difficulty has been overblown though. I got through the first stage on my first attempt, and went back and improved and finished the level at 24.

Admittedly the second level is a bit more difficult but I still wouldn't say it's prohibitively difficult. Just takes patience.

The physical edition also came with a download for the soundtrack which is excellent and some really nice artwork.
The brainless reviewers put people off this game so much, to a ridiculous level.

You'll see my previous posts on here about this game, it's not "hard" in terms of actual difficulty, it's not something like Elden Ring where the difficulty is fake too many times so you just level up, this game is about just simply learning how you want to get the best out of it.

It's a brilliantly designed game and a rewarding experience. A classic example of a game buried by talentless hacks wanting to compare genre to genre, and any kind of challenge to "souls". feck off.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The brainless reviewers put people off this game so much, to a ridiculous level.

You'll see my previous posts on here about this game, it's not "hard" in terms of actual difficulty, it's not something like Elden Ring where the difficulty is fake too many times so you just level up, this game is about just simply learning how you want to get the best out of it.

It's a brilliantly designed game and a rewarding experience. A classic example of a game buried by talentless hacks wanting to compare genre to genre, and any kind of challenge to "souls". feck off.
Are you implying Dark Souls didn't invent difficulty?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

Absolutely. Got a mate into this and he started it last week and finished it last night. It's just a game that rewards perfecting the combat mechanics and with all the shortcuts you can open up and the fluidity of the combat itself it's never a chore to go back and replay levels to finish them at a younger age.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Are the recent Hitman games any good (basically the trilogy - 1,2 & 3)?

I remember playing Hitman: Absolution years ago and throughly enjoyed it but haven’t played any of the trilogy Hitman games.
I really like them. I bought Hitman 3 for the PS5 and love it. There is so much replayability to them – both from the levels themselves and different ways to achieve the objective, but also some of the extra missions you can play )set in the same level but with different objectives / targets).

Also, once you have bought Hitman 3, you can buy Hitman 1 and 2 and then play them with the same improved game engine from Hitman 3.

So would definitely recommend it!

b82REZ

There does seem to a shift recently with comparing new games to older ones. I know the BoTW comparisons to Elden Ring pissed you off, as they were way off the mark. The only similarity was the fact you can theoretically head in any direction at the start of the game. But because of those comparisons people are assessing the game incorrectly.

Whether it's coming from the editor or to make reviewers seem like gaming historians, but I've noticed for the most part reviewers seem to too eager to compare apples and oranges.

In regards to SIFU, even SkillUp overplayed the level of difficulty. I was surprised by his review and he's normally very objective and fair but I feel with this game he massively misrepresented it.

I assume the reason the game now has an easy mode is because of the early reviews.

amolbhatia50k

Alright guys pick two

The Forest
Transistor
The Talos Principle
Rage 2

Edit: adding Darkwood too

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Cheers. The Forest is the one I'm sold on! Looks like my kinda game.
If you like your survival mixed in with some horror, somewhere vaguely in a 7 Days/Subnautica universe, it’ll definitely be in your wheelhouse.

Like the former there’s an interesting story intertwined as well.

caid

Rage 2 was pretty forgetable. Pretty polished and well put together but bland.

amolbhatia50k

If you like your survival mixed in with some horror, somewhere vaguely in a 7 Days/Subnautica universe, it’ll definitely be in your wheelhouse.

Like the former there’s an interesting story intertwined as well.
I've not played any other survival game except Subnautica which is among my favourite games of this past generation