Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Ainu

Just finished Outer Wilds, it's hard to put into words just what this game does to me. There's nothing else quite like it. I had goosebumps the whole way through my last play session. These devs are geniuses, how do you even create a game as brilliant as this?

One thing that was seriously heartbreaking to me, was finding the Nomai of Escape Pod 3 and seeing how they met their end, clustered around a Dark Bramble seed in search of their Vessel's dying signal. Just such a profoundly sad scene. You pretty much knew it was coming the moment you read about the two duplicate signals and how they chose to follow the closest, but it still hit hard.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just finished Outer Wilds, it's hard to put into words just what this game does to me. There's nothing else quite like it. I had goosebumps the whole way through my last play session. These devs are geniuses, how do you even create a game as brilliant as this?

One thing that was seriously heartbreaking to me, was finding the Nomai of Escape Pod 3 and seeing how they met their end, clustered around a Dark Bramble seed in search of their Vessel's dying signal. Just such a profoundly sad scene. You pretty much knew it was coming the moment you read about the two duplicate signals and how they chose to follow the closest, but it still hit hard.
The bolded is exactly why I hold it in such high regard.
I don't know if you explorer the interloper but that's also a similarly interesting moment.

If you loved it I'd highly recommend Echoes of the Eye (the DLC). It's probably more obtuse / confusing but absolutely brilliant in its own way.

Ainu

The bolded is exactly why I hold it in such high regard.
I don't know if you explorer the interloper but that's also a similarly interesting moment.

If you loved it I'd highly recommend Echoes of the Eye (the DLC). It's probably more obtuse / confusing but absolutely brilliant in its own way.
I'll play some other stuff first but I'm definitely going back for the DLC at some point.

I did get into the core of the Interloper and found the Nomai there, along with the origin of the ghost matter. It was one of so many awesome moments in the game.

Getting into the Sun Station, finding out what they were trying to accomplish with the probe cannon in orbit around Giant's Deep, finding the probe tracking module in Giant's Deep's core, finding Feldspar stuck inside Dark Bramble, discovering the fate of Escape Pod 3, finding the Vessel and then finding Solanum on the Quantum Moon at its sixth location.

There's such an overhelming sense of history and significance during those discoveries. Reading all those Nomai interacting with eachother, it's almost as if you got to know them personally, which makes finding their remains so impactful.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'll play some other stuff first but I'm definitely going back for the DLC at some point.

I did get into the core of the Interloper and found the Nomai there, along with the origin of the ghost matter. It was one of so many awesome moments in the game.

Getting into the Sun Station, finding out what they were trying to accomplish with the probe cannon in orbit around Giant's Deep, finding the probe tracking module in Giant's Deep's core, finding Feldspar stuck inside Dark Bramble, discovering the fate of Escape Pod 3, finding the Vessel and then finding Solanum on the Quantum Moon at its sixth location.

There's such an overhelming sense of history and significance during those discoveries. Reading all those Nomai interacting with eachother, it's almost as if you got to know them personally, which makes finding their remains so impactful.
A break is a good idea I think. I too went back after awhile. It too is a force of its own but like a truly great DLC / spin off / it basically completes the package to near perfection.

All those moments are so darn good. It's a sense of wonder, awe, fear and more all at once. If I'm not mistaken I missed reaching the sun station in my first playthrough and when I made it in my second that moment you open the door and the music kicks in - frickin loved it. That goes for the soundtrack as a whole, brilliant stuff all the way through. Even the sound as the sun explodes is just right as is the 'reset loop' in how eerie it is.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Deathloop is boring as hell so far. I get that it's quirky and trying something a bit different but the reviews are fecking ridiculous.

b82REZ

Deathloop is boring as hell so far. I get that it's quirky and trying something a bit different but the reviews are fecking ridiculous.
I don't subscribe to the idea that all big devs pay for positive reviews but there is something very fishy with Deathloop.

It's not a bad game but it's not a 10/10 either. It's the definition of average.

Ainu

Started playing Ys IX: Monstrum Nox yesterday, not sure what to make of it yet. This is my fourth Ys game after Origin, Memories of Celceta and the excellent VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. None of these games I played for their visuals but this one is particularly unappealing. It's all drab greys and none of the colourful natural environments of Ys VIII.

I feel like this series needs a serious lift like Tales of Arise did for that series. That took a generally budget looking franchise and made it look striking, vibrant and often stunning. I just don't know if Nihon Falcom have the resources for it.

Anyway, gameplay is king and it's been decent so far, so we'll see. It has the potential to be another solid experience.

Drawfull

Finished Return to Monkey Island yesterday. It's alright, but some of the puzzles in part IV outstay their welcome with each seemingly having multiple sub-puzzles that in my opinion are just dragging stuff out (dunno if it's any more streamlined on easy mode). Also had a couple of unmissable achievements not pop when I was in offline mode on Steam Deck*, that haven't fixed themselves. I can't be arsed playing it through again to get them, or the rest that I'm missing and I thought I would. On the whole, it's a fitting sequel but not as good as the previous three for me.

*one puzzle in part V is a pain on the small screen

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Started playing Ys IX: Monstrum Nox yesterday, not sure what to make of it yet. This is my fourth Ys game after Origin, Memories of Celceta and the excellent VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. None of these games I played for their visuals but this one is particularly unappealing. It's all drab greys and none of the colourful natural environments of Ys VIII.

I feel like this series needs a serious lift like Tales of Arise did for that series. That took a generally budget looking franchise and made it look striking, vibrant and often stunning. I just don't know if Nihon Falcom have the resources for it.

Anyway, gameplay is king and it's been decent so far, so we'll see. It has the potential to be another solid experience.
I still enjoyed it but it wasn't a patch on Lacrimosa of Dana. It was more of the same but with a worse story, characters, and a dreary setting as opposed to a big colourful island. Dana is one of my favourite RPG's of recent years whereas this was more... serviceable. The combat is still so much fun, though.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Awful dialouge and writing aside, Death Stranding is fecking awesomely fun. I was hesistant to play it due to critics calling it just a "walking simulator" but there is so much more to it.

Even though the writing is cringey, Im interested in seeing what nutty shit Kojima provides as reasoning.

Also the community aspect is awesome. Nothning cooler than coming back to a highway someone else built for you.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Awful dialouge and writing aside, Death Stranding is fecking awesomely fun. I was hesistant to play it due to critics calling it just a "walking simulator" but there is so much more to it.

Even though the writing is cringey, Im interested in seeing what nutty shit Kojima provides as reasoning.

Also the community aspect is awesome. Nothning cooler than coming back to a highway someone else built for you.
I've still not tried it, but watch a video on YouTube every now and again and think "I should try this"

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
You say that all the time and never fecking get around to playing them!

Have you ever finished the Witcher 3 DLCs' yet? :lol:
Aye I eventually finished them the other year on the Xbox :lol: still gonna play through it all again at some point, hopefully if a ps5 patch ever comes.

Too many games I want to play tbh, not enough time, feckin work getting in the way -_-

Ainu

I still enjoyed it but it wasn't a patch on Lacrimosa of Dana. It was more of the same but with a worse story, characters, and a dreary setting as opposed to a big colourful island. Dana is one of my favourite RPG's of recent years whereas this was more... serviceable. The combat is still so much fun, though.
I didn't expect it to be as good as Lacrimosa of Dana, I was just a bit surprised at how different it is thematically. I'm enjoying it though, the expanded traversal options give its level design an element of verticality that you don't usually get in a JRPG.

The core gameplay loop is as addictive as ever and unlocking parts of the city is fun. It might not have the sprawling world to discover as in the last few games, but it's interesting in its own way.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
With rising energy prices and the general cost of living going through the roof it seemed like the right time to upgrade my PC. All because there was a good deal on a new 2060 12GB and it wasn't horribly overpriced. I'm guessing nobody is buying them so the prices are starting to drop?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
You say that all the time and never fecking get around to playing them!

Have you ever finished the Witcher 3 DLCs' yet? :lol:
Downloaded death stranding director's cut haven't I :drool: that's ps plus extra thing has loads of sweet shizzle on.

Today I've downloaded hotwheels unleashed, ghost of Tsushima, death stranding, and deliver us the moon.

Looking at returnal and death loop too.

Also finished horizon forbidden west main story, got a few things to go through for the but that can wait now.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Downloaded death stranding director's cut haven't I :drool: that's ps plus extra thing has loads of sweet shizzle on.

Today I've downloaded hotwheels unleashed, ghost of Tsushima, death stranding, and deliver us the moon.

Looking at returnal and death loop too.

Also finished horizon forbidden west main story, got a few things to go through for the but that can wait now.
Similar boat. I recently finished ac valhalla. Now going through DS, next up Returnal, then GoT.

Found hfw to be so dull. It shouldnt be dull but it is.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Similar boat. I recently finished ac valhalla. Now going through DS, next up Returnal, then GoT.

Found hfw to be so dull. It shouldnt be dull but it is.
Forbidden west had some absolutely amazing parts. Some pretty cack bits too but overall I enjoyed it. I loved the different characters this time around, and some of the areas, such as that fireworky desert illumination thing, class first time seeing it.

Think I'm gonna go through DS next too, then maybe something like deliver us the moon, then GoT.

However, MW2 and GOW: Ragnarok both out end of this month ffs

You deserve an award
I finished AC Valhalla too, hated it at first but thought it was great by the end. I actually felt like playing through it again after watching Vikings TV series.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Love Hotwheels, great fun. Deliver us the moon was one of my surprise favourites of the last gen. Not groundbreaking in the slightest and at times a bit clunky but really good atmosphere and storytelling, hope you enjoy it.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Just about to move house and am going to treat myself to a new tv. Preferably 65", 4k. Doesn't necessarily need to be cheap, I'm more interested in quality but if quality can be found at a reasonable price even better. Anyone got any suggestions? I've currently got a 48" Panasonic, bloody lovely thing with great picture but am open to other makes / models. Currently eyeing up the Sony Bravia XR.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Just about to move house and am going to treat myself to a new tv. Preferably 65", 4k. Doesn't necessarily need to be cheap, I'm more interested in quality but if quality can be found at a reasonable price even better. Anyone got any suggestions? I've currently got a 48" Panasonic, bloody lovely thing with great picture but am open to other makes / models. Currently eyeing up the Sony Bravia XR.
Bearing in mind I know nothing about TV's, this one seems like a good deal: https://ao.com/product/qe65q60ba-samsung-q60-tv-black-93021-108.aspx