Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Finished Signalis yesterday. Has anybody else played it?

It's sort of like a cyberpunk lovecraftian horror love story that's set in space but with the type of descent into the metaphorical abyss horror - the same idea applied in the latter part of Silent Hill 2.

The atmosphere is sombre and brutal but it has a relatively satisfying gameplay loop. It has the same do-some-puzzles and find-keys-for-locked-doors mechanic that Resi does.

Combat isn't a strong point and the inventory limitations mean you'll need to wander about each area several times while returning periodically to storage crates. The bosses aren't brilliant but thankfully there's not many.

Also, the story is intentionally cryptic which some people on reddit seeming to really vibe with this but personally I think it flatters to deceive, although the tone really is excellent and the ending(s) hit a strong emotional note.

I would recommend this game for people who enjoy survival horrors.
Sounds shit.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Anyone here notice the difference between 120fps and 60 on a console? Been playing warzone 2 in 120 and it feels the same.

Ainu

Anyone here notice the difference between 120fps and 60 on a console? Been playing warzone 2 in 120 and it feels the same.
Can't say I've tried 120fps mode in any game yet, but there's a bunch of stuff you need to look at to make sure you're actually seeing 120 fps at 120 Hz. Outside of the game settings, is the console itself set to support 120 Hz output? I know on PS5 this is a system level setting, not sure on the X. Then there's the tv, assuming it supports 4k 120, you might need to look at the panel settings or picture mode. In case of 4k 120, the HDMI cable might also be a limiting factor, as not all cables have the necessary bandwidth.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Can't say I've tried 120fps mode in any game yet, but there's a bunch of stuff you need to look at to make sure you're actually seeing 120 fps at 120 Hz. Outside of the game settings, is the console itself set to support 120 Hz output? I know on PS5 this is a system level setting, not sure on the X. Then there's the tv, assuming it supports 4k 120, you might need to look at the panel settings or picture mode. In case of 4k 120, the HDMI cable might also be a limiting factor, as not all cables have the necessary bandwidth.
Yeah check the tv. I know on mine there's only one hdmi socket that supports hdmi 2.1 for 120hz gaming. Samsung have helpfully left a little game controller symbol next to it for easy identification.

Also some games will need you to select that mode in the settings.

Moby

Dick
Yeah check the tv. I know on mine there's only one hdmi socket that supports hdmi 2.1 for 120hz gaming. Samsung have helpfully left a little game controller symbol next to it for easy identification.

Also some games will need you to select that mode in the settings.
I got a new Bravia OLED and have selected all of that, plus modified settings looking at guides for HDR gaming. I played GoWR at 120 Hz on it, which was pretty cool but I don't know if I got to notice a huge lot but then I'm not really an enthusiast when it comes to these things.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I got a new Bravia OLED and have selected all of that, plus modified settings looking at guides for HDR gaming. I played GoWR at 120 Hz on it, which was pretty cool but I don't know if I got to notice a huge lot but then I'm not really an enthusiast when it comes to these things.
It's more for smoothness and allows you to run things like sexy hair mode in Resi 4 without any lag. There were people in the thread saying that it wasn't up to scratch graphically for a PS5 title but I think some had tv's that couldn't support the optimised settings. You probably won't notice it if it's on all the time.

Bosws87

The difference is night and day if its working, best way to test it is switch between the two after each other then you will be able to feel the difference when moving your character, its nowhere near as obvious or contrasting as 60/30 though.

The real reason for 120hz gaming and the popularity is for online competitive games, as you get a physical advantage by using the better hardware, as the monitor refreshes 120 times a second rather then 60, you will for example see someone coming around a corner before they see you (if they are on standard 60hz) we are talking very very small advantages here less then a second though.

120hz in single player only really worth the drop in visuals if its a fast paced game where precise quick input is everything, like a Ninja Gaiden etc.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The difference is night and day if its working, best way to test it is switch between the two after each other then you will be able to feel the difference when moving your character, its nowhere near as obvious or contrasting as 60/30 though.

The real reason for 120hz gaming and the popularity is for online competitive games, as you get a physical advantage by using the better hardware, as the monitor refreshes 120 times a second rather then 60, you will for example see someone coming around a corner before they see you (if they are on standard 60hz) we are talking very very small advantages here less then a second though.

120hz in single player only really worth the drop in visuals if its a fast paced game where precise quick input is everything, like a Ninja Gaiden etc.
I'd say it's more like the difference between 6:38 pm and 7:04 pm. i.e. noticeable but not unless you're looking really hard for differences.

Night after all is bereft of sun, whereas day is bereft of stars. Those are huge tangible differences that will be familiar to 100% of observers. Not so much with the 60 / 120 fps split.

Bosws87

People that play cod on console does it not have an option to see your frames per second that would solve the issue easily, just make sure it reads 120 in game and 120 hz on the tv source.

Bosws87

Still really enjoying Fantasian, it’s good enough to be considered console quality, shame it’s iOS only. It sticks to the proper old school original JRPG, world map, side quests, long 40+hours main story, text no voices and a turn based battle system. Which has a really cool feature where you can store the enemies that you would encounter in random battles and fight them all at once.

A battle system which allows you to take advantage of angles and the way enemies line up.

I’m late to the party games been out for a while but I’ve missed these types of games. Would recommend to anyone who loves a good solid grindy jrpg and has access to an iOS device!

Ainu

So after blasting through Yakuza Kiwami in less than two weeks (all substories besides the Amon super boss, who I also didn't bother with in 0 because they are garbage), I'm now already hooked on Kiwami 2. Have to say, after 2 games in that PS3-era engine, this feels like a breath of fresh air. It's so stylish and polished. The mini games I've played so far also feel better than in the previous engine. Performance is a serious step back but in a game like this, it's not the end of the world.

Moving on to Yakuza 3 is going to be so painful after this. :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
Still really enjoying Fantasian, it’s good enough to be considered console quality, shame it’s iOS only. It sticks to the proper old school original JRPG, world map, side quests, long 40+hours main story, text no voices and a turn based battle system. Which has a really cool feature where you can store the enemies that you would encounter in random battles and fight them all at once.

A battle system which allows you to take advantage of angles and the way enemies line up.

I’m late to the party games been out for a while but I’ve missed these types of games. Would recommend to anyone who loves a good solid grindy jrpg and has access to an iOS device!
I wanted to play it cause it is from the creator of the good FF games. But from what I heard, the second part of the game is pretty bad.

Revan

Assumptionman
Finished RDR2, around 47h in total. I think the epilogue was a bit too long and needless, but the game was really good. Enjoyed it a lot despite doing only the main story.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I started 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim the other day which has got some cringe-worthy awful anime trope things going on, but it's also cute how it unashamedly leads with retro sci-fi / kaiju monster movie inspiration.

Has anyone played it?

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Thought I would ask here as it's sort of gaming related.

I recently got a wired connection up to my bedroom and then bought a gigabit ethernet network switch. The issue is since I've used it I'm not getting full speed on my xbox. PS5 seems fine. A switch like that should not reduce my speed, right?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Does anybody know why single-player FPS games are so prone to giving me motion sickness but multiplayer games never ever do?

I tried playing Ghostwire Tokyo last night and it triggered it almost immediately and I had a headache for a couple of hours after. I'm wondering if it's to do with how the engine works but I'm not techy enough to understand.

@Redlambs

Ainu

Does anybody know why single-player FPS games are so prone to giving me motion sickness but multiplayer games never ever do?

I tried playing Ghostwire Tokyo last night and it triggered it almost immediately and I had a headache for a couple of hours after. I'm wondering if it's to do with how the engine works but I'm not techy enough to understand.

@Redlambs
Lower FOV and in in Ghostwire Tokyo's case probably poor/inconsistent performance? I would expect those factors to contribute to motion sickness. I don't actually play multiplayer games so I'm not even sure they generally have wider FOV, but it would make sense to me.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Lower FOV and in in Ghostwire Tokyo's case probably poor/inconsistent performance? I would expect those factors to contribute to motion sickness. I don't actually play multiplayer games so I'm not even sure they generally have wider FOV, but it would make sense to me.
It could be the FOV actually. I've just looked at a few games I play that don't give me it and they seem to have much wider FOV's. Borderlands 3 and Destiny 2, for example.

Last edited:

Ainu

It could be the FOV actually. I've just looked at a few games I play that don't give me it and they seem to have much wider FOV's.
It's one of those things that really should be adjustable in every single first-person title, yet almost never is, for whatever reason. On pc you can generally get away with editing some files but on console, you're screwed.

Bosws87

@Redlambs
Framerate drops, framerate juddering, head bobbing (can usually turn it off in most games), FOV and so on.

Most multiplayer games turn all the realism crap off like head bobbing, depth of field, motion blur etc so could possibly be those options rather then the games performance

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

@Redlambs
As @Bosws87 and others have said, it's the visual settings in these games. Stuff like motion blur, DOF, inconsistent fps and mostly FOV are all things our eyes and brains struggle with.

Playing on a smaller TV/monitor will help, or better yet, join the master race and get to dictate those settings! (and actually have games to play too).

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Anyone know much about this "park beyond" game coming out soon? The Reddit sub is fairly dead with not much info, but it looks interesting.

Can't see any info on restrictions/limits like planet coaster. Guessing it will do though which always sucks.

Fully Fledged

I only really notice the difference if I go backwards to a game running at 30 frames. The jump from 30 to 60 is really noticeable but as you go up from that you get diminishing returns, as in the jump from 60 to 120 is nowhere near as pronounced as it is from 30 to 60.
30 to 60 is a gain of about 16 miliseconds between frames, but 60 to 90 is a gain of only 5.5. 120 gains only 2.7 over 90, and 144 has only 1.4 ...

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Just to point out, but I won't go full nerd again, don't get FPS and HZ mixed up. GoWR doesn't run at 120fps, but it does have a 120hz mode. So whilst you won't see it at first, it is better for your eyes and the higher fps it hits is much smoother for the gaming side (input and all that), you will get used to it. And you will definitely see the difference when you eventually play a 120hz game that hits 120fps constantly.

Also in terms of telling the difference overall: Windows periodically resets my 144 and 165hz monitors back to 120 and I 100% know straight away when that happens. But it's the kind of thing you get used to when using this stuff, and also my PC will run most anything at those FPS too which further shows the difference.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Just to point out, but I won't go full nerd again, don't get FPS and HZ mixed up. GoWR doesn't run at 120fps, but it does have a 120hz mode. So whilst you won't see it at first, it is better for your eyes and the higher fps it hits is much smoother for the gaming side (input and all that), you will get used to it. And you will definitely see the difference when you eventually play a 120hz game that hits 120fps constantly.

Also in terms of telling the difference overall: Windows periodically resets my 144 and 165hz monitors back to 120 and I 100% know straight away when that happens. But it's the kind of thing you get used to when using this stuff, and also my PC will run most anything at those FPS too which further shows the difference.

Ainu

I've been playing some OlliOlli World recently, by all accounts a very highly rated game, but I can't say I'm that impressed. It's fine for a couple of hours, but halfway through the map I'm already bored of going for high scores and bonus challenges, so I'm rushing through the rest of it instead. Decent game I guess, just not for me.

Also started Scarlet Nexus yesterday, still early days so I'm not sure how much I'm going to like this. It looks and runs great and I love the slightly anime sci-fi setting, so that's something. Combat is weird, a bit chaotic but maybe it'll grow on me. I'm not expecting much in terms of story and characters, probably a bunch of anime bullshit, so we'll see. It's intriguing, which is good enough so far.

Ahmer Baig

I have started playing Knights and Merchants again. Does anyone remember this game released in late nighties and then its remake was also released which addressed a lot of issues in game?

Knights and Merchants is a 2D real time town building/strategy game much like the more well known Settlers games. Setting up a good economy with efficient production chains is the goal of the game and it also has a surprisingly robust battle engine as well. This package includes the original 20 campaign mission plus the 14 campaigns added in the expansion. Some missions are battle only, but most involve plenty of town building. Overall I'd say mission average 2 hours. I recommend this game to fans of the genre who are willing to play a slower paced game and who love city planning and building.

In Knights and Merchants you'll find a high tactical gameplay in which you can win a battle with the right tactics even if your troops are outnumbered. There is an importace of knowing the strenghts and weaknesses of you units, how they are postioned, their formation, the terrain they are fighting on and so on.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I haven't been gaming since before Xmas. Been waiting for 7 Days To Die's Alpha 21 and it appears to be coming out this month. With so many great overhaul mods, there's really no need to play anything else ever.