Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
It's a new game? I was only half-watching the trailer but I thought it was just a remake of AC1 (Christ knows who would want to play muck again).

It looked exactly like the AC1 setting, outfit etc.
Similar setting, new story.

AaronRedDevil

Never played Assassin's Creed. Guess I'll start with the Ezio collection
Honestly man. Just start and end it there. Ezio was AC in its prime. Black flag is actually good but its not a real AC, just a pirate who happens to fall into being an assassin accidentally. Then the rest became so dull and pointless. Odyssey is actually solid too. But after Ezio they sorta ditched the main theme of AC and then just winged it after that.

Revan

Assumptionman
Honestly man. Just start and end it there. Ezio was AC in its prime. Black flag is actually good but its not a real AC, just a pirate who happens to fall into being an assassin accidentally. Then the rest became so dull and pointless. Odyssey is actually solid too. But after Ezio they sorta ditched the main theme of AC and then just winged it after that.
Hated Black Flag after a few hours. The most repetitive game ever. There are essentially a couple of missions repeated 20 times.

AaronRedDevil

Hated Black Flag after a few hours. The most repetitive game ever. There are essentially a couple of missions repeated 20 times.
23 tailing missions....I counted. It was so shitty to have that many. But the story got better as the game went on. Along with the ship battles. It was OK.

Revan

Assumptionman
23 tailing missions....I counted. It was so shitty to have that many. But the story got better as the game went on. Along with the ship battles. It was OK.
I gave up near the end of the game when I had to do another tailing mission after doing 15 of them or so. But I guess if you have to make at least 3 different versions of the same game 10 years in a row, you just change the skin and keep everything the same.

I think it might be the last Ubisoft game I ever played. For all the shit EA gets, Ubisoft is 100 times worse.

AaronRedDevil

I gave up near the end of the game when I had to do another tailing mission after doing 15 of them or so. But I guess if you have to make at least 3 different versions of the same game 10 years in a row, you just change the skin and keep everything the same.

I think it might be the last Ubisoft game I ever played. For all the shit EA gets, Ubisoft is 100 times worse.
Yeah that’s true. At least EA DO change it up sometimes. You’ve literally missed nothing with AC. Though I will say. Odyssey is a pretty solid game if you ignore it being tied to AC. Cassandra is one of the best main characters since Ezio. Also choosing between Spartans vs Greeks was fun. Actual battlefield fights. The map is fecking huge though with overwhelming amount of side quest and collectibles. So much fecking grinding. But I enjoyed the story and characters.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm somewhat miffed nobody has responded to my post about The Talos Principle 2 yet.

Did you guys not play the first one? It's one of those rare instances of a game with a genuinely thought-provoking story, similar to the likes of Soma, The Witness and Nier Automata.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Tailing missions in games should be banned. Horrible activity and never fun.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I'm somewhat miffed nobody has responded to my post about The Talos Principle 2 yet.

Did you guys not play the first one? It's one of those rare instances of a game with a genuinely thought-provoking story, similar to the likes of Soma, The Witness and Nier Automata.
Be miffed ye not dude! I love Talos Principle and was dead excited to see the trailer for TTP2.

It looks awesome.

Edit: wasn’t sold on the Witness even though my son raves about it. May give that one another pop.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Be miffed ye not dude! I love Talos Principle and was dead excited to see the trailer for TTP2.

It looks awesome.

Edit: wasn’t sold on the Witness even though my son raves about it. May give that one another pop.
I was going to tag you but couldn't remember if we've talked about it before! At least that's two of us with good taste :)

What is the most overrated game
GTA San Andreas hands down

caid

I played the first and enjoyed it somewhat but remember nothing about it.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Disappointed with Horizon: Forbidden West.

I loved the first game. They didn't do anything really innovative for that. It was just a refined Ubi world with fun combat and an engaging story.

This one though; World is too big, too many missions, dull characters, story isn't grabbing me at all. They Assassin Creed-ed themselves.

Also, I'd genocide the Utaru if I could. Annoying hippies.

Giggsyking

Never played Assassin's Creed. Guess I'll start with the Ezio collection
Start with Ezio, and then stop, then play Mirage. The changes the made to the game after Ezio was really annoying. But seeing mirage I see they went back the basics of AC.

Ainu

I would be very careful with expectations for a new Assassin's Creed game. It might look like it's going back to its roots, but we know very little about the game and this is still Ubisoft we're talking about. There's a very high likelihood it's still the same open-world bullshit and level-grinding with the option to purchase xp boosters and other time savers. They can't be trusted.

Giggsyking

I would be very careful with expectations for a new Assassin's Creed game. It might look like it's going back to its roots, but we know very little about the game and this is still Ubisoft we're talking about. There's a very high likelihood it's still the same open-world bullshit and level-grinding with the option to purchase xp boosters and other time savers. They can't be trusted.
Agree, and congrats on winning the league.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
To be fair, I wouldn't complain if I woke up with System Shock in my library. It looks pretty damn good.
You ever played the original? It was great, but 2 was supreme and is an all time top 10 of mine.

This does look faithful, which means some will find it hard to get into but should be worth it. @amolbhatia50k the setting should be right up your alley too.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
You ever played the original? It was great, but 2 was supreme and is an all time top 10 of mine.

This does look faithful, which means some will find it hard to get into but should be worth it. @amolbhatia50k the setting should be right up your alley too.
Sadly not. I only played the sequel which was indeed very good. It was interesting to see how Ken Levine used some of the same ideas for Bioshock, like the immersive horror setting and audio narration.

Last edited:

Bobski

Christ, forgot I bought this :lol:

Better start it! How is it so far?
Tremendously and shamelessly old school. Which I am digging much more that I expected, but it is also causing some frustration, how I ever played this without a map in the old days I don't know. I hope they do a remake of System Shock 2, one of my favourite games ever, and just a little more accessible. I know Bioshock was considered the successor but I don't think it ever had the depth of the earlier games.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Anyone played Outer Worlds? I'm currently playing it now, it's OK but I don't find it as engaging as other Obsidian games,

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Found it very lacking. Every idea seemed half or three quarters done. Didn't have the charm of Fallout and I hated the art style.

But in more important news, feck your Metal Gear Solid 3 remake because Croc is getting a HD remaster.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/croc-hd-remaster-early-development-argonaut-founder-jez-san/
I haven't played Fallout so for me it kind of feels like Borderlands meets KOTOR. It's just a bit meh; I'm going to continue with it cause I've committed now but I don't feel drawn in to the universe in the slightest.

Bebe

I haven't played Fallout so for me it kind of feels like Borderlands meets KOTOR. It's just a bit meh; I'm going to continue with it cause I've committed now but I don't feel drawn in to the universe in the slightest.
I liked it, but it's nowhere near a classic Obsidian game. Funny writing at times and the ending ties things together nicely. I found it fun but unambitious.

Ainu

If anyone was still on the fence about consolidation in the gaming industry, this pretty much sums up how devastating it can be: https://www.polygon.com/23759179/embracer-tomb-raider-lotr-restructure-studio-closures-lay-offs

The sheer number of acquisitions that Embracer Group has been making in recent years is insane. The big ones are of course Crystal Dynamics and Eidos from Square-Enix last year and Gearbox a year before that, but there are dozens and dozens more. Now it turns out they are totally incapable of running them all and a financial setback means loads of them are going to close down in the near future, with god knows how many people losing their jobs.

The whole thing is so depressing to read. On top of the planned closures, there's stuff in there about a "$1 billion investment from Saudi Arabia’s investment fund" and then this gem:
"We know we need to be exploiting Lord of the Rings in a very significant fashion, and turn that into one of the biggest gaming franchises in the world,” Karch said. “And that’s obviously something that we’re going to do be doing. That’s a much better use of resources than some of the other projects that some of our teams have been working on."
What a time to be alive.

Bebe

If anyone was still on the fence about consolidation in the gaming industry, this pretty much sums up how devastating it can be: https://www.polygon.com/23759179/embracer-tomb-raider-lotr-restructure-studio-closures-lay-offs

The sheer number of acquisitions that Embracer Group has been making in recent years is insane. The big ones are of course Crystal Dynamics and Eidos from Square-Enix last year and Gearbox a year before that, but there are dozens and dozens more. Now it turns out they are totally incapable of running them all and a financial setback means loads of them are going to close down in the near future, with god knows how many people losing their jobs.

The whole thing is so depressing to read. On top of the planned closures, there's stuff in there about a "$1 billion investment from Saudi Arabia’s investment fund" and then this gem:

What a time to be alive.
Very sad. The games industry is so immature at times and the people working in the industry seem to usually be the ones that suffer.