Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Kapardin

I'm not really sold on the combat system. Everything seems to be about deflecting attacks to decrease enemy posture. I played through every single Soulsborne game without using parry, except on a few obvious enemies. I never really got the hang of it, never dared to rely on it and just didn't really enjoy it. This time around however, it seems pretty much the only viable way to play. So yeah, I'm not sure about this one.
Currently playing Dark Souls now on PC using keyboard. Bit of a noob, as before I was more interested in 2D Metroidvanias. Never really played 3D till now, and I suppose the best place to start was Dark Souls. Having a blast, but I'm finding the camera control for really big bosses (like Taurus Demon) that cover the screen challenging, to adjust it well so that I'm not just staring at the boss's big body...ah well, I am loving the game though.

Anyway, with relevance to your post, I got the hang of parrying pretty quick against lesser enemies in DS. However, it's a lot more challenging to attempt it against tougher enemies like Balder Knights and so on, though I'm now a master of the backstab and prefer that more.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Downloaded elder Scrolls online on Xbox one the other week, played after install, 2nd time.. massive update, updated and played, 3rd time? Yep, 50gig update. feck off you POS!

el3mel

Started A plague tale innocence today and I'm already hooked with the setting, the atmosphere and the simple but addicting game play. Hopefully it stays that strong till the end and the story ends being great.

Art Vandelay

Started A plague tale innocence today and I'm already hooked with the setting, the atmosphere and the simple but addicting game play. Hopefully it stays that strong till the end and the story ends being great.
I started it today too. It's quite interesting so far if a bit linear, but I like the setting.

Although the graphics are a bit weird, the main character looks very good but everything beyond her is a bit blurry and colour seems off. At one point I thought the kid brother was doing magic, but I think it might have just been a weird colour glitch.

el3mel

I started it today too. It's quite interesting so far if a bit linear, but I like the setting.

Although the graphics are a bit weird, the main character looks very good but everything beyond her is a bit blurry and colour seems off. At one point I thought the kid brother was doing magic, but I think it might have just been a weird colour glitch.
It's not top notch realistic graphics but I'm ok with that. If I'm not wrong, I don't think the game developers had a giga budget and it doesn't look like a AAA title for me. More like AA if there's something like that.

Art Vandelay

It's not top notch realistic graphics but I'm ok with that. If I'm not wrong, I don't think the game developers had a giga budget and it doesn't look like a AAA title for me. More like AA if there's something like that.
I managed to fix the graphics by toggling an option down to low, no idea why it wasn't already set like that as it looked ridiculous. Now it looks great.

I'm up to chapter 4 and it's been excellent so far, it's easing into the mechanics and puzzles nicely while telling a very good story so far.

el3mel

I managed to fix the graphics by toggling an option down to low, no idea why it wasn't already set like that as it looked ridiculous. Now it looks great.

I'm up to chapter 4 and it's been excellent so far, it's easing into the mechanics and puzzles nicely while telling a very good story so far.
Weird coincidence as I'm also at chapter 4. Maybe we are going to finish it together. :D

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Feck all to play these days so got Dragon Age: Inquisition for a tenner from PSN. Never played any of the series but it looks well reviewed.

Art Vandelay

Weird coincidence as I'm also at chapter 4. Maybe we are going to finish it together. :D
Let's race! It all seems very easy so far, I'm expecting the difficulty to ramp up soon as it's holding my hand a lot. The only time it really leaves you to your own devices is with the torches towards the end of chapter 3 and even then you can't go very far wrong.
Feck all to play these days so got Dragon Age: Inquisition for a tenner from PSN. Never played any of the series but it looks well reviewed.
Have you tried it yet? I think it's the game that made me just give up on Bioware.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Let's race! It all seems very easy so far, I'm expecting the difficulty to ramp up soon as it's holding my hand a lot. The only time it really leaves you to your own devices is with the torches towards the end of chapter 3 and even then you can't go very far wrong.
Have you tried it yet? I think it's the game that made me just give up on Bioware.
That doesn't sound promising!

Created the character only. Character creation always brings out the OCD in me and I end up spending half an hour on it.

Art Vandelay

Created the character only. Character creation always brings out the OCD in me and I end up spending half an hour on it.
I won't say too much until you've played a bit. I liked it at first, but eventually just found their games were no longer for me.

Revan

Assumptionman
I won't say too much until you've played a bit. I liked it at first, but eventually just found their games were no longer for me.
Bizarrely, it was very highly rated when it was released, but it is one of the worst Bioware games, and far worse than the original Dragon Age.

caid

I thought it was probably their best game since the first Dragon Age. Its a bit rubbish and there's a lot of junk content but theres moments of quality. The only part of Mass Effect 3 i remember was the crap ending, that was similarly ok but forgettable imo. Dragon Age 2 was pretty crap, Mass Effect Andromeda was seemingly terrible and Anthem was definitely terrible. I treat them as a bargain bin developer these days.

Art Vandelay

Bizarrely, it was very highly rated when it was released, but it is one of the worst Bioware games, and far worse than the original Dragon Age.
I was baffled at the time. I think it was shown at the same E3 as The Witcher 3 and looked like a bit of a joke in comparison yet people raved, then it somehow won some game of the year awards.

It was the game that told me the ME3 ending was not a one off and Bioware just didn't care about stories any more. They cared more about representation. Actually let me rephrase that, they cared more about everyone knowing they cared about representation. Representation isn't a bad thing, but the way Bioware hamfistedly went about representing the LGBTQ community always seemed cynical and childish. Now that I see most games journalists would rather be political activists than games journalists the game of the year awards make more sense. It also felt more like an MMO than an RPG and most of the character quests felt like Del's story in Wayne's World 2 about having to get 1000 brown M & M's to fill a brandy glass or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

Don't go for the male elf. You'll be stuck watching a stick figure with weird deformities running around for 50 hours.

el3mel

Finished it today! Very good game with a very good story, though by the end I thought the game was way too long for such a linear game with simple mechanics.

Art Vandelay

Finished it today! Very good game with a very good story, though by the end I thought the game was way too long for such a linear game with simple mechanics.
I'm not even sure where I am, I've not played it in a few days. I was at the cemetary I think.

I like that they've steadily dripped new mechanics in there and I'm still enjoying the story. My only real gripe is that once it lets go of your hand it will sometimes give you several paths forward, picking one can leave you locked into that path with no way back, the completionist in me that's looking for collectibles gets very annoyed by this.

How long did it take you to finish?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I liked Dragon Age Inquisition well enough honestly. Liked all of the DA games actually. 1 was amazing, 2 and 3 a bit less so, but still, enjoyed all of em and for a tenner, not a bad deal I'd say.
I need something to play on my Switch for my upcoming work trips where I will spend hours on end in a plane. Looking at buying Darkest Dungeon, supposedly it's hard an playable for hours. Anyone played it?

el3mel

I'm not even sure where I am, I've not played it in a few days. I was at the cemetary I think.

I like that they've steadily dripped new mechanics in there and I'm still enjoying the story. My only real gripe is that once it lets go of your hand it will sometimes give you several paths forward, picking one can leave you locked into that path with no way back, the completionist in me that's looking for collectibles gets very annoyed by this.

How long did it take you to finish?
About 14-15 hours. I'm not gonna say how many chapters it has for the spoilers but they were more that what I expected initially, though they kept dropping new mechanics till the very last chapter which was a good idea from them.

Just thought with how simple and linear the puzzles are, 15 hours felt a bit too long for me, but at least I don't think anyone will complain they don't get their value for money paid for it.

Yeah I noticed that collectibles thing, that's why they added chapter selection I believe.

Very atmospheric game though. The noise rats do was incredible and put you in the mood every single time.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
My bro just picked up an oculus rift s
He’s getting a zombie survival game at the weekend so heading over there on Saturday to see what it’s like

Art Vandelay

About 14-15 hours. I'm not gonna say how many chapters it has for the spoilers but they were more that what I expected initially, though they kept dropping new mechanics till the very last chapter which was a good idea from them.

Just thought with how simple and linear the puzzles are, 15 hours felt a bit too long for me, but at least I don't think anyone will complain they don't get their value for money paid for it.

Yeah I noticed that collectibles thing, that's why they added chapter selection I believe.

Very atmospheric game though. The noise rats do was incredible and put you in the mood every single time.
I think I finished it at around the same time frame. I really liked it and didn't think it over stayed it's welcome at that length. I'd give it a 9/10, some sections towards the end got a bit fidgety, but on the whole it was an excellent experience. Although the plot gets a tad mental despite how good it is overall. I'd buy a sequel.

Last year I was disappointed with almost every game I bought, I think only Kingdom Come Deliverance and Far Cry 5 I enjoyed the whole way through. This year has been the exact opposite. I haven't bought many, but Resident Evil 2, Metro Exodus and now Plague Tale have all been excellent.

el3mel

I think I finished it at around the same time frame. I really liked it and didn't think it over stayed it's welcome at that length. I'd give it a 9/10, some sections towards the end got a bit fidgety, but on the whole it was an excellent experience. Although the plot gets a tad mental despite how good it is overall. I'd buy a sequel.

Last year I was disappointed with almost every game I bought, I think only Kingdom Come Deliverance and Far Cry 5 I enjoyed the whole way through. This year has been the exact opposite. I haven't bought many, but Resident Evil 2, Metro Exodus and now Plague Tale have all been excellent.
Yeah I'll give it about the same score. Atmosphere was the best thing about it. They got it absolutely right. Anything rats related was done pretty well, though I think the game had some problems with the human enemies encounters and their AI.

Yet to play Metro Exodus. I have it though, and actually played the Metro Redux bundle earlier this year to prepare myself for it. I guess it'll be the next on my playlist once I get free time. This year has been great, and we still didn't enter the usual busy period of October and November. Death Stranding is coming in November and I'm looking forward to what Kojima is preparing for us!

Art Vandelay

Yeah I'll give it about the same score. Atmosphere was the best thing about it. They got it absolutely right. Anything rats related was done pretty well, though I think the game had some problems with the human enemies encounters and their AI.

Yet to play Metro Exodus. I have it though, and actually played the Metro Redux bundle earlier this year to prepare myself for it. I guess it'll be the next on my playlist once I get free time. This year has been great, and we still didn't enter the usual busy period of October and November. Death Stranding is coming in November and I'm looking forward to what Kojima is preparing for us!
If you liked the first two then you will love Exodus. The sound of that sniper rifle in my headset nearly deafened me as it echoed through the canyons.

I'm not bothering with Death Stranding, I'm done with Kojima games he's just an annoying twat now that's somehow been allowed to become bigger than his own games. He's quite happy to break your immersion every 10 minutes to remind you he made the game and he wrote it and directed it and programmed it and made the tea one Tuesday afternoon. He disappeared up his own arse years ago. I predict it will have a story that's utter nonsense, controls that don't take the human hand into consideration and he will squeeze his ridiculously punchable face in there in the middle of a mission alongside his name being everywhere yet will get 10/10 reviews because it's Kojima art.

el3mel

If you liked the first two then you will love Exodus. The sound of that sniper rifle in my headset nearly deafened me as it echoed through the canyons.

I'm not bothering with Death Stranding, I'm done with Kojima games he's just an annoying twat now that's somehow been allowed to become bigger than his own games. He's quite happy to break your immersion every 10 minutes to remind you he made the game and he wrote it and directed it and programmed it and made the tea one Tuesday afternoon. He disappeared up his own arse years ago. I predict it will have a story that's utter nonsense, controls that don't take the human hand into consideration and he will squeeze his ridiculously punchable face in there in the middle of a mission alongside his name being everywhere yet will get 10/10 reviews because it's Kojima art.
You don't seem so fond of him. :D I'm not particularly a big fan of him, as I'm mostly neutral towards game developers and hate fanboyism with passion. However MGSV was great for me, so I will be looking forward to what he's planning for this. The trailers didn't provide much.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What was it like?
Only played it for about an hour or so, but very good! Very immersive, love the different weapons etc and how you interact with them.
My only gripe would be the cables are easy to trip over. Not sure if there’s a wireless versio

Revan

Assumptionman

You are giving the impression that you don't like Kojima.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Sonic, Street Fighter and the 'golden age' of gaming magazines

"I remember when the Super Nintendo was delivered for the first time, taking it out of the box and playing Super Mario World. The whole office would stop, we'd go into the games room and crowd round the screen. There was a high level of excitement and that came across in the magazine."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47896612

Ainu

I tried out Lords of the Fallen yesterday, after years of having it in my library (got it for free from ps plus ages ago). Christ it's bad. Combat is woefully unresponsive and it just feels so slow and cumbersome in general. Hitboxes are all over the place and there seems to be a lack of feedback on weapons impact. At times I wouldn't even have known that I was getting hit if I hadn't seen the red damage number pop up.

Made it past the first boss (incredibly boring fight) and gave up. I might try again with the lightest and fastest character class to see if that's an improvement, but I'm not hopeful. I've also got The Surge from these same guys sitting in my library, also for free, at least that game is supposed to be a lot better.

Siorac

They Are Billions: Feck. Off.

I’m getting worked on this damned game but can’t stop playing it.
I was looking at that but was kinda turned off by the complaints about repetitiveness, and some people complaining that a single zombie spawning in an unfortunate location can wreck your game entirely and you can do very little about it, which sounded incredibly frustrating.