Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Siorac

I tried out Lords of the Fallen yesterday, after years of having it in my library (got it for free from ps plus ages ago). Christ it's bad. Combat is woefully unresponsive and it just feels so slow and cumbersome in general. Hitboxes are all over the place and there seems to be a lack of feedback on weapons impact. At times I wouldn't even have known that I was getting hit if I hadn't seen the red damage number pop up.

Made it past the first boss (incredibly boring fight) and gave up. I might try again with the lightest and fastest character class to see if that's an improvement, but I'm not hopeful. I've also got The Surge from these same guys sitting in my library, also for free, at least that game is supposed to be a lot better.
I didn't find the Surge much better - the world itself felt monotone and uninteresting and there was something unsatisfying about the combat. But you should try it out anyway. Just don't expect Soulsborne quality.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Sonic, Street Fighter and the 'golden age' of gaming magazines

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47896612
Very cool!

I still remember the first issue of Computer + Video Games I bought - December 1988!

I was looking online and found a site that has scans of loads of old magazines - not just gaming ones - and they had a load of CVG magazines:

https://archive.org/details/cvg-magazine?&sort=-downloads&page=2

Here's a link to the magazine above:
https://archive.org/details/cvg-magazine-086

I still remember reading the Operation Wolf review and marvelling at the graphics! There's also a look at different football games on page 99 of that issue!

That site is an absolute time sink!!

https://archive.org/

The Internet Archive, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, is building a digital library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form. Like a paper library, we provide free access to researchers, historians, scholars, the print disabled, and the general public. Our mission is to provide Universal Access to All Knowledge.

We began in 1996 by archiving the Internet itself, a medium that was just beginning to grow in use. Like newspapers, the content published on the web was ephemeral - but unlike newspapers, no one was saving it. Today we have 20+ years of web history accessible through the Wayback Machine and we work with 625+ library and other partners through our Archive-It program to identify important web pages.

As our web archive grew, so did our commitment to providing digital versions of other published works. Today our archive contains:
Anyone with a free account can upload media to the Internet Archive. We work with thousands of partners globally to save copies of their work into special collections.

Because we are a library, we pay special attention to books. Not everyone has access to a public or academic library with a good collection, so to provide universal access we need to provide digital versions of books. We began a program to digitize books in 2005 and today we scan 1,000 books per day in 28 locations around the world. Books published prior to 1923 are available for download, and hundreds of thousands of modern books can be borrowed through our Open Library site. Some of our digitized books are only available to the print disabled.

Like the Internet, television is also an ephemeral medium. We began archiving television programs in late 2000, and our first public TV project was an archive of TV news surrounding the events of September 11, 2001. In 2009 we began to make selected U.S. television news broadcasts searchable by captions in our TV News Archive. This service allows researchers and the public to use television as a citable and sharable reference.

The Internet Archive serves millions of people each day and is one of the top 300 web sites in the world. A single copy of the Internet Archive library collection occupies 45+ Petabytes of server space (and we store at least 2 copies of everything). We are funded through donations, grants, and by providing web archiving and book digitization services for our partners. As with most libraries we value the privacy of our patrons, so we avoid keeping the IP (Internet Protocol) addresses of our readers and offer our site in https (secure) protocol.

You can find information about our projects on our blog (including important announcements), contact us, buy swag in our store, and follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Welcome to the library!

Dan

Very cool!

I still remember the first issue of Computer + Video Games I bought - December 1988!

I was looking online and found a site that has scans of loads of old magazines - not just gaming ones - and they had a load of CVG magazines:

https://archive.org/details/cvg-magazine?&sort=-downloads&page=2

Here's a link to the magazine above:
https://archive.org/details/cvg-magazine-086

I still remember reading the Operation Wolf review and marvelling at the graphics! There's also a look at different football games on page 99 of that issue!

That site is an absolute time sink!!

https://archive.org/
I used to buy that magazine too, still remember them giving Chase HQ a score of 97%.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I used to buy that magazine too, still remember them giving Chase HQ a score of 97%.
I used to love that game!

It still blows my mind how games like GTA feature tiny sections that are equivalent of complete games!

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Downloaded Vigor last night, it's free to play on the Xbox and at the moment I'm loving it.

It's a different take on the battle royale idea, instead of having to be last man standing, you can decide when you want to leave the game (via a run to the exit) depending on what loot you've managed to grab.

The loot is then used to improve your shelter, which gives the game an actual building process rather than the PUBG approach of it making no difference if you win. I'd definitely advise trying it out if you're on Xbox.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Downloaded Vigor last night, it's free to play on the Xbox and at the moment I'm loving it.

It's a different take on the battle royale idea, instead of having to be last man standing, you can decide when you want to leave the game (via a run to the exit) depending on what loot you've managed to grab.

The loot is then used to improve your shelter, which gives the game an actual building process rather than the PUBG approach of it making no difference if you win. I'd definitely advise trying it out if you're on Xbox.
I was looking at this the other day but didn't bother as just thought it was another pubg and the performance of that game sucked. Think I'll give this a try

Art Vandelay

I tried the Ghost Recon Breakpoint beta. It's shit and I won't be buying the game. I loved Wildlands, but this feels closer to an Assassin's Creed spinoff than a sequel to that. Driving feels sluggish and having no squad with you fecks it up too. Menu's are mind boggling at times. They've added bullet sponge enemies and nerfed the gunsmith options. All so they could add loot because it's now a looter shooter.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Can someone here please tell me what's so good about HDR? I've just been reading about Gears and people were raving about the HDR.

I'm playing Gears 5 on an Oled tv with HDR on, and what I'm I supposed to be looking for? It just looks like a normal game? It's making me feel like I'm going crazy because everyone says how great HDR is, and I've yet to notice it in any game.

Art Vandelay

Can someone here please tell me what's so good about HDR? I've just been reading about Gears and people were raving about the HDR.

I'm playing Gears 5 on an Oled tv with HDR on, and what I'm I supposed to be looking for? It just looks like a normal game? It's making me feel like I'm going crazy because everyone says how great HDR is, and I've yet to notice it in any game.
Better, more realistic colours making things clearer. It can be hard to even tell it's there until you switch between having it on and off a lot of the time. I didn't even notice it until I turned it on and off on Forza a couple of years ago, the difference really did shock me. I think you have to really tune your TV to perfection to get the best out of it.

Gears 5 really does look fantastic though.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Better, more realistic colours making things clearer. It can be hard to even tell it's there until you switch between having it on and off a lot of the time. I didn't even notice it until I turned it on and off on Forza a couple of years ago, the difference really did shock me. I think you have to really tune your TV to perfection to get the best out of it.

Gears 5 really does look fantastic though.
Maybe I do need to see it so by side. Seems to just be a marketing gimmick so far.

el3mel

Finished playing Control today. Really a magnificent game. That's how Quantum Break should have been done.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

‘Very easy mode’? Not normally the type of news you’d want to hear about a game...

Bojan11

The game has disaster written all over it.

And I for one will be smug when Kojimas Hollywood project and Geoff Keighley project goes downhill. Maybe then he’d be humble, hire ordinary voice actors and focus more on gameplay like he used to do back in the day.

kps88

‘Very easy mode’? Not normally the type of news you’d want to hear about a game...
What difference does it make? More options the better. We've seen games do this before where they put in a difficulty level for people who just want to enjoy the story.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What I was getting it as that this could just feel like this announcement sort of loses the serious OMG Kojima gold that Death Stranding was rumoured to be. Kind of downplays the game into being more of a Hollywood driven narrative, with gameplay tacked on. Like a glorified Telltale game.

That’s obviously an extreme view to take, admittedly. But I don’t necessarily think adding an easier than easy mode is a good thing, ever. Unless the game is outrageously hard.

Ainu

What I was getting it as that this could just feel like this announcement sort of loses the serious OMG Kojima gold that Death Stranding was rumoured to be. Kind of downplays the game into being more of a Hollywood driven narrative, with gameplay tacked on. Like a glorified Telltale game.

That’s obviously an extreme view to take, admittedly. But I don’t necessarily think adding an easier than easy mode is a good thing, ever. Unless the game is outrageously hard.
Why? If a game already has different difficulty settings as opposed to a fixed difficutly, why would it ever be a bad thing to have a very easy mode? It's just another option for anyone who wants to use it and if you don't like it, it's just another option to ignore, a you would be ignoring the "normal" easy mode anyway.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
This "Git Gud" bullshit is a recent phenomenon, probably spurred on by the likes of the Dark Souls series and their hardcore fans.

Even if a game has a fixed difficulty, it is easy to make it easy for others and what harm is it really?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Nothing wrong with gitting gud.
Nothing wrong with multiple difficulty settings if it doesn't make the developers think of the game as lesser for it either.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I wouldn't have worked my way through The Witcher 2 if it didn't have an easy difficulty setting.

But it was still a fun experience and set the stage for a GOAT game in TW3.

Art Vandelay

I've uninstalled Gears of War 5. It's one of the worst launches I can remember. I've not had this many bugs in a game since Fallout New Vegas and I've only had it since Thursday night. Broken quests, AI squadmates disappearing, various issues with saving, sound problems, disconnected during every single game of horde or escape, progress repeatedly being lost, stats not updating at all. That's not even all of them. Mates are having similar problems. It's an absolute disgrace that a first party game or any game can come out in this state.

Bojan11

I've uninstalled Gears of War 5. It's one of the worst launches I can remember. I've not had this many bugs in a game since Fallout New Vegas and I've only had it since Thursday night. Broken quests, AI squadmates disappearing, various issues with saving, sound problems, disconnected during every single game of horde or escape, progress repeatedly being lost, stats not updating at all. That's not even all of them. Mates are having similar problems. It's an absolute disgrace that a first party game or any game can come out in this state.
Your membership to the Xbox thread has been revoked. @Alock1 you know what to do.

On a serious note I got the ultimate edition. I didn’t bother playing the campaign yet. But I have to say the lag and getting kicked out of games for no reason was annoying. Happened to me about four times. MS hype about their dedicated servers and how powerful they are. But now that’s Halo MCC, Halo 5 and Gears 5 all having lag at launch.

Art Vandelay

Your membership to the Xbox thread has been revoked. @Alock1 you know what to do.

On a serious note I got the ultimate edition. I didn’t bother playing the campaign yet. But I have to say the lag and getting kicked out of games for no reason was annoying. Happened to me about four times. MS hype about their dedicated servers and how powerful they are. But now that’s Halo MCC, Halo 5 and Gears 5 all having lag at launch.
Campaign is actually really good when it gets going. There's a lot of ups and downs though. World building is great yet the story is complete pants and you can see where it's going from a mile away. When it works though it's a lot of fun. Shame it doesn't fecking work. The squad AI isn't great, but there's some great use of environments. There's a lot of give and take with it.

We tried a few games of horde and every person bar one got kicked at least once during every attempt at it. MCC, State of Decay 2 and now this have been pretty shoddy releases for first party games.

It's just not worth the effort for me given the state it's in. Last I saw it was getting very little flack from the games media for the state it's in.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

Really, I expected that anyway, but to be fair I've never been a big fan of his games.

el3mel

I had nothing to play the last few days then I discovered I had The Evil Within 2 whom I played the first 4 chapters on its launch 2 years ago. Decided to finish it and I did yesterday.

Great experience. I'm not into horror games to be totally honest but the game isn't even that scary anyway which kinda pleased me. It's more of a survival action rather than survival horror. Few chapters were tense but that's it. Surprisingly it had a good story I cared about the gameplay was very polished. My only complain is
the stages with the fire enemies after Theodore reveal was very bland in comparison to the rest of the game.

Now back to searching for something else to play.

Last edited:

Ainu

Are the NI No Kuni games good? II is on sake for £15 on the PS Store at the minute
I'm actually playing NNK 2 right now. I'm not sure about it, it's sort of boring so far. There doesn't seem to be any depth to the combat and story and characters aren't up to much. The first one is much better, though keep in mind I'm not too far into the second game.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The first one was one of my favourite games on PS4. The 2nd one looked shite and trying to capitalise on what was a great model.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Control is a pretty cool game from the makers of Max Payne and Alan Wake. They really know how to create that freaky atmosphere.

Highly recommend.

Member 39557

Got it, great fun, but very short. Though after you finish it they add a stack of extra tasks for you to try.
It does look fun. I'm quite tempted, just because I like the idea of going around being a dick to everybody.

Art Vandelay

I've been playing Greedfall. I wasn't expecting too much and the start felt a bit ropey, but once it's got going it's been excellent. The story and setting has been very entertaining and it feels a lot like KOTOR. I appreciate that it's got hubs instead of an open world, I'm tired of open worlds and it's allowed them to make the hub areas look absolutely gorgeous.

It's not AAA quality, you can see that there's corners been cut in a few places and the combat isn't always the best. Sometimes it works fine but has difficulty spikes and the loot system could use refinement. Also the combat dialogue is awful at times. It has Vernon Roche's voice actor and I'm pretty sure I heard Ralph Ineson in there, so it feels like it's trying for the Witcher vibe, which is a very ill advised thing to draw comparisons to given how good it is. It's even got sword parts that are clearly ripped off from TW3. It's really nothing like TW3 though, it's much closer to when Bioware weren't shite. The closest comparison really is KOTOR, there's parts that feel like running around Dantooine again, although the combat is probably closer to something like Jade Empire.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I've been playing Greedfall. I wasn't expecting too much and the start felt a bit ropey, but once it's got going it's been excellent. The story and setting has been very entertaining and it feels a lot like KOTOR. I appreciate that it's got hubs instead of an open world, I'm tired of open worlds and it's allowed them to make the hub areas look absolutely gorgeous.

It's not AAA quality, you can see that there's corners been cut in a few places and the combat isn't always the best. Sometimes it works fine but has difficulty spikes and the loot system could use refinement. Also the combat dialogue is awful at times. It has Vernon Roche's voice actor and I'm pretty sure I heard Ralph Ineson in there, so it feels like it's trying for the Witcher vibe, which is a very ill advised thing to draw comparisons to given how good it is. It's even got sword parts that are clearly ripped off from TW3. It's really nothing like TW3 though, it's much closer to when Bioware weren't shite. The closest comparison really is KOTOR, there's parts that feel like running around Dantooine again, although the combat is probably closer to something like Jade Empire.
You had me at KOTOR.

Art Vandelay

You had me at KOTOR.
Let me be very clear, I'm not saying it's as good as KOTOR. :lol:

It just feels a lot like it with the hubs and general feel. It took me a few hours to figure out which game it was reminding me of, at first I thought Dragon Age 2, but then realised that it was more KOTOR than anything. My mate has said the same thing. I can't quite put my finger on exactly why it's more KOTOR than Dragon Age.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
This greedfall has appeared out of nowhere hasn't it? Hadn't heard of it till a week or 2 ago but looks interesting.

Same as remnant from the ashes, that has just turned up too with no warning but looks decen