Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeh I had the same thing with Outer Worlds it’s just not all that good. The environments are pretty, the characters can be good. The gameplay is really poor though and I think in a game like that, you have to rely on solid combat. That’s the reason a game like Days Gone or Rage 2 are pretty fun and playable, because their combat at least remains fun.
Even the worlds themselves seem less and less interesting as you go because essentially they feel similar to one another - a couple of major people to talk two and problem solve for, a wildlands nearby where you get to do some crappy monster killing. I really thought it would be more interesting than this. I reckon I'll just bin this one and move on. Wasting free-time does me no good!

I really liked Days Gone. As you say, the combat was very enjoyable and satisfying. The world, and story were also pretty good.l

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I think Aliens Fireteam Elite looks pretty good actually.

Rewatched Aliens the other night to get me hyped for it as well.

Pre-Order in. Just a shame it doesn't have cross platform compatability.

AaronRedDevil

Pre-Order in.
I want to get it but I'm afraid I'd get bored of it after I complete it. Like it'll be repetitive. Back 4 Blood was boring after the first day so this one might be something I'd prefer.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Pre-Order in. Just a shame it doesn't have cross platform compatability.
Think Aliens is my favourite ever film. I watched them all the other month, even the poorer ones are still very enjoyable I think.

Agreed about Fireteam. Did you play Isolation ?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Think Aliens is my favourite ever film. I watched them all the other month, even the poorer ones are still very enjoyable I think.

Agreed about Fireteam. Did you play Isolation ?
I haven't no. I nearly picked it up for a tenner from CEX at the weekend actually but saw that it was 7 years old which put me off. Still worth it?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I want to get it but I'm afraid I'd get bored of it after I complete it. Like it'll be repetitive. Back 4 Blood was boring after the first day so this one might be something I'd prefer.
Yeah defintely something better online with a couple of mates. I've goaded at least one to grab it on the PS though.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Even the worlds themselves seem less and less interesting as you go because essentially they feel similar to one another - a couple of major people to talk two and problem solve for, a wildlands nearby where you get to do some crappy monster killing. I really thought it would be more interesting than this. I reckon I'll just bin this one and move on. Wasting free-time does me no good!

I really liked Days Gone. As you say, the combat was very enjoyable and satisfying. The world, and story were also pretty good.l
Was really disappointed to hear they won't be making another one as the ending had me really intrigued. They also had some great mechanics to build on, a bit of a shame if that's where they leave it!

AaronRedDevil

I haven't no. I nearly picked it up for a tenner from CEX at the weekend actually but saw that it was 7 years old which put me off. Still worth it?
Isolation is 100% one of the best games I’ve played last gen. I watched the first Aliens movie before I played it and I was blown away by how exactly the same look of the ship. Buttons an all. One of the extremely few games where I was genuinely scared shitless throughout :lol:

Superunknown

Yeah I went in with sort of low expectations but ended up really enjoying it. Great tension throughout. Definitely worth a go.
Isolation is 100% one of the best games I’ve played last gen. I watched the first Aliens movie before I played it and I was blown away by how exactly the same look of the ship. Buttons an all. One of the extremely few games where I was genuinely scared shitless throughout :lol:
Put me down as + 1 to the Alien Isoltion fan club. Lovely game. Tense as hell and just unbelievably faithful to the source material. The look and sounds of the ship are very authentic for the franchise and it does a lot of things so much better than the likes of Alien Resurrection, Covenant, and the AVP films did.

I let out a huge sigh of relief as soon as I had finished it.

A criticism that I often see is that it is a fairly long game. I have to agree with this, it is quite long, but I found that this further adds to the "gruelling" nature of the game. It did feel like an achievement to get to the end of it. It's hard to judge how long the game actually is considering that I spent hours upon hours hiding in lockers. In one memorable playthrough, it took me around 3 hours to barely move between a couple of corridors and rooms, due to the Alien prowling around and me taking it very, very slow.

Ainu

Put me down as + 1 to the Alien Isoltion fan club. Lovely game. Tense as hell and just unbelievably faithful to the source material. The look and sounds of the ship are very authentic for the franchise and it does a lot of things so much better than the likes of Alien Resurrection, Covenant, and the AVP films did.

I let out a huge sigh of relief as soon as I had finished it.

A criticism that I often see is that it is a fairly long game. I have to agree with this, it is quite long, but I found that this further adds to the "gruelling" nature of the game. It did feel like an achievement to get to the end of it. It's hard to judge how long the game actually is considering that I spent hours upon hours hiding in lockers. In one memorable playthrough, it took me around 3 hours to barely move between a couple of corridors and rooms, due to the Alien prowling around and me taking it very, very slow.
I absolutely had a session like that as well. :lol: It is long, there's no question about that, but I still look back on it fondly. It's the quintessential Alien experience, as opposed to pretty much all the other games which are clearly inspired by Aliens. No other game has captured that claustrophobic feeling of being trapped with the "perfect organism" that is the Xenomorph. Blasting hordes of Xenomorphs to pieces with your pulse rifle, that just isn't Alien to me.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I absolutely had a session like that as well. :lol: It is long, there's no question about that, but I still look back on it fondly. It's the quintessential Alien experience, as opposed to pretty much all the other games which are clearly inspired by Aliens. No other game has captured that claustrophobic feeling of being trapped with the "perfect organism" that is the Xenomorph. Blasting hordes of Xenomorphs to pieces with your pulse rifle, that just isn't Alien to me.
Yep.

Ainu

Anyone here played Scarlet Nexus? It has me intrigued and it's currently 40% off on the the PS store, so I'm tempted.

TrustInJanuzaj

Does anyone have any tips for how to deal with the ghosts on Dark Souls 1? They are doing my head in! I figured out you have to take a potion thing in order to hit them, but they are pretty tanky. Maybe I'm just under-leveled but when I go back up to the top/church area I'm one-shotting everyone so surely it can't be that. Also, what's the deal with that dragon/drake creature on the bridge, can I fight/kill it because it just one-shots me with fire every time I try and get past?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That UE5 footage looks incredible, as you'd expect. Strong Sekiro vibes so I'm definitely interested.
What is UE5?

PS store has two lovely discounts for Hellblade and Hollow Knight both games I really want to play. Hollow Knight - I know it's incredible but have played through it more than 2 thirds before a laptop issue. Hellblade will be fresh but not at the same level. Choicesss.

Ainu

What is UE5?

PS store has two lovely discounts for Hellblade and Hollow Knight both games I really want to play. Hollow Knight - I know it's incredible but have played through it more than 2 thirds before a laptop issue. Hellblade will be fresh but not at the same level. Choicesss.
Unreal Engine 5, I was referring to the Black Myth: Wukong video.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
What is UE5?

Two games whose sequels aren’t coming to PS which is disappointing. Hollow Knight is one of the best games I’ve ever played, I can’t recommend it highly enough. Have not yet played Hellblade but @Alock1 has only good things to say. Sequel is exclusive to MS.

Ainu

Two games whose sequels aren’t coming to PS which is disappointing. Hollow Knight is one of the best games I’ve ever played, I can’t recommend it highly enough. Have not yet played Hellblade but @Alock1 has only good things to say. Sequel is exclusive to MS.
Silksong might still come to PS later, the same thing happened with Hollow Knight. Hellblade is obviously off the table now, but the original is still well worth playing. A fantastic experience with stellar audio design.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Silksong might still come to PS later, the same thing happened with Hollow Knight. Hellblade is obviously off the table now, but the original is still well worth playing. A fantastic experience with stellar audio design.
I hope so. I have a switch in any case so will still be able to play.

Tempted to shelve Apex for a bit and play Hellblade. Will just annoy me if I enjoy it and can’t play the sequel.

Ainu

I hope so. I have a switch in any case so will still be able to play.

Tempted to shelve Apex for a bit and play Hellblade. Will just annoy me if I enjoy it and can’t play the sequel.
I'd just go for it. It's not a story that necessarily demands a sequel, so I wouldn't let that stop you. Whatever you do, make sure to play with headphones. I know other games might ask you to play with headphones for the best experience, but it's never been as true as for this one. It's essential to the experience.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I’m trying not to get my hopes up after how long Skywind is taking, but I see there’s a Skyblivion project underway too (recreating Oblivion with Skyrim’s engine).

I probably will get my hopes up though…

JP77

Anybody that knows much about gaming on Laptops/PC's?

I'm looking for a new laptop but I'm in a very tight budget, 500 max really. I've found a few, this being one:

https://www.hughes.co.uk/product/computing/laptops/all-laptops/asus/x512da-bq1039t?c=1760

Can anybody give me an honest opinion on if this is a decent laptop and if it will comfortably run World Of Warcraft? Not interested in any other games for it as I've got a PS5 for that, it's literally for Warcraft and then general every day use (browsing, Photoshop etc). It's got intergrated graphics but that's AMD Radeon Vega 8, is this good enough or avoid?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

I'm looking for a new laptop but I'm in a very tight budget, 500 max really. I've found a few, this being one:

https://www.hughes.co.uk/product/computing/laptops/all-laptops/asus/x512da-bq1039t?c=1760

Can anybody give me an honest opinion on if this is a decent laptop and if it will comfortably run World Of Warcraft? Not interested in any other games for it as I've got a PS5 for that, it's literally for Warcraft and then general every day use (browsing, Photoshop etc). It's got intergrated graphics but that's AMD Radeon Vega 8, is this good enough or avoid?
Slightly above your budget (£550) but I have a Huawei Matebook D14 that does all that stuff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-Mat...rds=huawei+matebook+d14&qid=1629543296&sr=8-3

Probably the main benefit over the Asus would be the build quality. It's metal rather than plastic which I always prefer.

Edit - Webcam sucks, basically unusable.

Balljy

That would run world of warcraft fine at low to medium settings and is decent value. The only things I would say is that the RAM is average at 8gb (if your photoshop usage is high, you'll want to bump that up), but OK and it doesn't seem to give the display resolution on the website (only screen size).

There's a few videos showing benchmarks for WoW for pretty much that hardware.

JP77

Slightly above your budget (£550) but I have a Huawei Matebook D14 that does all that stuff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-Mat...rds=huawei+matebook+d14&qid=1629543296&sr=8-3

Probably the main benefit over the Asus would be the build quality. It's metal rather than plastic which I always prefer.

Edit - Webcam sucks, basically unusable.
That would run world of warcraft fine at low to medium settings and is decent value. The only things I would say is that the RAM is average at 8gb (if your photoshop usage is high, you'll want to bump that up), but OK and it doesn't seem to give the display resolution on the website (only screen size).

There's a few videos showing benchmarks for WoW for pretty much that hardware.

Cheers guys.

Photoshop use is very little to be honest, I only dabble in it here and there. The one I posted would be much easier to get as I wouldn't have to pay up the full amount in one go (bills and family life man!). Another I found for 500 quid but would have to pay the full amount up front, is it much better than the ASUS one I posted above or could I save myself quite a bit of hassle and just go with the ASUS one and it'll run just as well?

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/msi...6-inch-geforce-gt-9s7-16r412-1069/version.asp

That's the other one, 20 quid more, is it much better? Appreciate any advice, just don't want to waste this amount of money on something that isn't very good. The ASUS one would be ideal as it would mean I wouldn't have to pay all the full amount up front but if the MSI one above is leagues ahead I'd rather that even if it meant spending the full amount all up front.

Balljy

Cheers guys.

Photoshop use is very little to be honest, I only dabble in it here and there. The one I posted would be much easier to get as I wouldn't have to pay up the full amount in one go (bills and family life man!). Another I found for 500 quid but would have to pay the full amount up front, is it much better than the ASUS one I posted above or could I save myself quite a bit of hassle and just go with the ASUS one and it'll run just as well?

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/msi...6-inch-geforce-gt-9s7-16r412-1069/version.asp

That's the other one, 20 quid more, is it much better? Appreciate any advice, just don't want to waste this amount of money on something that isn't very good. The ASUS one would be ideal as it would mean I wouldn't have to pay all the full amount up front but if the MSI one above is leagues ahead I'd rather that even if it meant spending the full amount all up front.
To be honest, that is quite a bit better for the GPU. It is a very different style of laptop though. Either would run WoW, but the MSI would definitely give you better framerates and alloiw you to bump up the settings.

Irwin99

Agree. It's interesting as well that Alien Isolation is probably the only game that's remembered fondly by most alien fans too. You'd think the makers of these games would take the hint.

I know it was a critical and commercial flop but I wonder if a game could be based around something like Alien 3's set up and environment-no weapons, super fast Alien, trying to trap the creature etc.

TrustInJanuzaj

Really getting into Dark Souls remastered now. Finally found my way down to Blightown and I feel like I’m just about getting a grip of the mechanics etc. I got the Drake Sword and my god that was such an upgrade on my previous weapon. With levelling up I’m just going Vitality, Endurance and Strength mainly so I hope that will be enough! I think I may have to go and hunt some of that purple moss stuff in the wood area because the poison in Blighttown is a bloody nightmare.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Really getting into Dark Souls remastered now. Finally found my way down to Blightown and I feel like I’m just about getting a grip of the mechanics etc. I got the Drake Sword and my god that was such an upgrade on my previous weapon. With levelling up I’m just going Vitality, Endurance and Strength mainly so I hope that will be enough! I think I may have to go and hunt some of that purple moss stuff in the wood area because the poison in Blighttown is a bloody nightmare.
I've missed your posts in here, but if you need any more help then just say. As a tip, there's a katana you can get up the top of Blighttown (depending which way you came in) that can last you the whole game and is very cool to use.

Also you should be doing Blighttown way before the area with the ghosts (you pick up transient curses for them btw, then they drop more as you go so they become no problem at all).

caid

Is there any advantage to changing weapons around? I’ve just stuck with my original long sword because I’ve kind of got used to the way it handles.
Okay thanks I think I know where you mean with Blighttown. Is there any way to mange your weight capacity because I keep finding cool armour and weapons but it makes me so heavy that I can barely move. Feel like the mobility is so important that I end up using worse, lighter stuff. I’ll have to try the claymore, I think I picked one of them up.
Missed these
I think you can stick with long sword for the first run through, keep it upgraded and it works. There's better weapons and i think better versions of the same weapon but if you really like it then you can use it. I think the drake sword is good up to a point but after a certain point weapons like the longsword will outclass it because they can be upgraded more. I think endurance increases your carry capacity, which lets you move fast in heavier armor. Not sure armor is that valuable in the first dark souls. Not sure it decreases the damage you take by much and slows you down enough that you start getting hit more. I think it kind of rewards an all or nothing approach where you're either naked and dodge everything or in havels armor (heaviest armor in the game) and just block everything.