Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Occasionally I'll think of/find something video game related to post that doesn't deserve it's own thread/doesn't fit anywhere, so I thought somewhere for all the general video game discussions to go might be good.

Also a list of most of the main gaming topics that do have their own thread might be useful, so here's that;

Consoles
Xbox One
Playstation 4 (PS3)
Wii U
Nintendo 3DS & PS Vita
PS4 vs Xbox One

Game Series
Pokémon
Final Fantasy
Uncharted
The Legend of Zelda
Metal Gear Solid

Games
Gran Turismo 5

Genres/Other
Retro Video Game Thread
The Platformer Video Game Thread
RTS (Real Time Strategy)
RPG's (That aren't Final Fantasy)
Kart Racing Games
PC Games
The Redcafe Video Game Review Thread
Post an awesome video game soundtrack
Steam OS
Good Game Deals
Playstation Plus
Steam Sales

If you have any other threads to add to the above categories, post it and I shall pass it along to the committee where a vote shall be cast to determine if it is added to the list.

Last edited:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Irrational Games is being shut down - http://www.irrationalgames.com/

A Message From Ken Levine

When Jon Chey, Rob Fermier and I founded Irrational Games seventeen years ago, our mission was to make visually unique worlds and populate them with singular characters.
We built Rapture and Columbia, the Von Braun and The Rickenbacker, the Freedom Fortress and some of the nastiest basements a SWAT team ever set foot into. We created Booker and Elizabeth, the Big Daddy and the Little Sister, MidWives and ManBot. In that time, Irrational has grown larger and more successful than we could have conceived when we began our three-person studio in a living room in Cambridge, MA. It’s been the defining project of my professional life.

Now Irrational Games is about to roll out the last DLC for BioShock Infinite and people are understandably asking: What’s next?

Seventeen years is a long time to do any job, even the best one. And working with the incredible team at Irrational Games is indeed the best job I’ve ever had. While I’m deeply proud of what we’ve accomplished together, my passion has turned to making a different kind of game than we’ve done before. To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience.

I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it. I’ll be starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two. That is going to mean parting ways with all but about fifteen members of the Irrational team. There’s no great way to lay people off, and our first concern is to make sure that the people who are leaving have as much support as we can give them during this transition.

Besides financial support, the staff will have access to the studio for a period of time to say their goodbyes and put together their portfolios. Other Take-Two studios will be on hand to discuss opportunities within the company, and we’ll be hosting a recruiting day where we’ll be giving 3rd party studios and publishers a chance to hold interviews with departing Irrational staff.*

What’s next?

In time we will announce a new endeavor with a new goal: To make narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable. To foster the most direct relationship with our fans possible, we will focus exclusively on content delivered digitally.

When I first contemplated what I wanted to do, it became very clear to me that we were going to need a long period of design. Initially, I thought the only way to build this venture was with a classical startup model, a risk I was prepared to take. But when I talked to Take-Two about the idea, they convinced me that there was no better place to pursue this new chapter than within their walls. After all, they’re the ones who believed in and supported BioShock in the first place.

Thanks to Irrational and 2K’s passion in developing the games, and the fans who believe in it, BioShock has generated retail revenues of over a half billion dollars and secured an iconic place in gaming. I’m handing the reins of our creation, the BioShock universe, to 2K so our new venture can focus entirely on replayable narrative. If we’re lucky, we’ll build something half as memorable as BioShock.

We do our best to update an FAQ in this space as questions come in.

-Ken Levine

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Damn, shame.

Hopefully 2K won't butcher the Bioshock series and are careful who they choose to take over.

Interested to see what this future studio comes up with.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Damn, shame.

Hopefully 2K won't butcher the Bioshock series and are careful who they choose to take over.

Interested to see what this future studio comes up with.
Me too. Not sure really what they could come up with either.

An underground city? A space city? I don't think either would work. They'd have to go back to one of the cities unless they manage to think of something.

Revan

Assumptionman
Did Irrational Games had financial problems and had to do that or just Levine is kind of a dick person?

I guess that the new Shock games won't be as good, though I was a bit disappointed on Infinite for it's mechanics that were extremely poor (by Shock series standards) although the story was probably the best story I have seen in a video game.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Did Irrational Games had financial problems and had to do that or just Levine is kind of a dick person?

I guess that the new Shock games won't be as good, though I was a bit disappointed on Infinite for it's mechanics that were extremely poor (by Shock series standards) although the story was probably the best story I have seen in a video game.
Basically, among other things, he's done a Molyneux.

I bet that core team of 15 doesn't bother with multiple producers either...

Revan

Assumptionman
Basically, among other things, he's done a Molyneux.

I bet that core team of 15 doesn't bother with multiple producers either...
What does that mean (I know who Molyneux is but still can't get it).

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
As expected, new Thief is shit, even big review sites noticed it (of course, for the wrong reasons) so no wonder one might have some layoffs. Though, I heard it is not that uncommon to have them after big releases, no matter if successful or not...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
TombRaider and Brothers: Tale of Two Sons on PS Plus today... already played and finished TR, but will see what Brothers is like.

The best game from last month was Guacameele, which was probably the most fun I've had playing a video game in ages.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Is Thief bad? I was considering trying it the other day.
Just my opinion, of course, but unconditionally, yes. It's bad.

From stupid and banal story, bad voice acting, horrendous sound and repeating dialogues over small and linear levels to contextual everything, jumping, rope arrowing, mantling.

Far cry from original two games, and easily worse than 'real' Thief 4, The Dark Mod (fan made first-person stealth game inspired by Thief).

Tomalonge

Think I'll be giving it a miss then.

It's a shame too, there aren't many great stealth games around anymore. Splinter cell used to be amazing but it's turned into a parody of itself.

Redlambs

A bad time to be a worker in gaming industry. I think that Obsidian did the same last year.
It has been for years.

That's what happens when idiots who have no skills and idea get involved and get paid all the money. I could tell a hell of a lot of stories about 'producers' and 'directors' and press releases/E3 shows. The whole industry is a mess and has been since the early 00's, it's only getting worse too. fecking cretins in charge, the talent is well down the list of importance these days.

Redlambs

Think I'll be giving it a miss then.

It's a shame too, there aren't many great stealth games around anymore. Splinter cell used to be amazing but it's turned into a parody of itself.
I agree, I hate it. I love the original splinter cells and Hitman games.

Now we get dumbed down tripe, but the flashy graphics mean they sell. Even then it's not enough these days :(

Revan

Assumptionman
It has been for years.

That's what happens when idiots who have no skills and idea get involved and get paid all the money. I could tell a hell of a lot of stories about 'producers' and 'directors' and press releases/E3 shows. The whole industry is a mess and has been since the early 00's, it's only getting worse too. fecking cretins in charge, the talent is well down the list of importance these days.
:( And this gets reflected with games decreasing in quality every year. Unoriginal multiplayers with shiny graphics and U20 players are happy to play the same crap every year.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Right, I don't know where to put this. I was sat thinking about what I wanted from a game when I was a kid, and basically it was to play a game set in my town.

Could this not be done these days? I mean google maps could surely be used to map towns and cities these days? (obviously there would have to be a size limit), but you could choose where to play the game. Plus if people were allowed to edit maps to make them more accurate to what they know etc?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Anyone played Trine/Trine 2 before? The complete collection is going for only £3 on Steam right now. I've been playing through the first game and it's good fun, well worth the money.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Maybe not a new thread but the development of eSports recently has been phenomemal!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...ta-2-championship-sells-out-arena-in-an-hour/

Roughly 10,000 tickets were sold this weekend in under an hour for Valve’s The International 2014 event, their yearly championship for Defense of the Ancients 2. Hosted at Seattle’s Key Arena, the finals will feature top DOTA 2 teams battling it out for an enormous prize. Last year, Swedish pro team Alliance took home $1.4M after beating rival Na’Vi in a best of five. It’s serious money, an enormous live event and an even larger spectacle online.
This been quietly gaining popularity. Serious money for being a eSportsman. My borther dotes on Na'vi and follows them faithfully. I've actually seen him very animated when they lost last years tournament. Very similar to real life sports.

For the life of me, I could not play DoTA and everytime I tried, ended up being identified as 'farming feeder' too quick and end up gangraped!

Ainu

I remember how impossibly stunning the original STALKER looked at the time when the first images appeared around the net. It seemed to take ages before anything really materialized though. Years later, I played a leaked alpha version that was hideous to look at and terribly unoptimized, though I suppose that's normal for an alpha version. I never got round to actually playing the finished product. Shame really.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
There's still time. ;)

I still have to play Call of Pripyat and Clear Sky before tackling this Lost Alpha. (anyway, heard there are still some quirks, so might be a good idea to wait for a patch or two)

Lance Uppercut

I bought a few PS3 games during the week. One, because it is supposedly rare. The other because I am told it is flawed, but also very interesting. And the third, because I watched a review of it and it looks right up my street.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Folklore is a decent game, great art design and an interesting if a times confusing story. Though I remember getting tired of it towards the end. Traded it in ages ago but I got the urge to replay it recently so I might try and hunt down a copy.

Lance Uppercut

I tried the demo for Folklore years ago and quite liked it. I never managed to get around to buying it, though.

Two Worlds 2 looks very reminiscent of Oblivion, which is one of my favourite games.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Anyone know where i'd be able to trade in my Xbox 360 and quite a lot of games for a PS3?

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Anyone know where i'd be able to trade in my Xbox 360 and quite a lot of games for a PS3?
Google 'trade in detectives'. Make an account and they'll give you the best prices around.

Lance Uppercut

I might try them myself. I want to trade Assassin's Creed 4 and Infamous (both PS4).

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Thought I'd have a quick hour on AC4.... 6 hours later and I'm still sailing the seas stomping mudholes in every bastard I come across! Think I've nearly completed the main story now.