Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Hades now down to £17.99 on the switch. I think I may bite at that price. Heard nothing but great things about it.

el3mel

Played Hades for the first time today. Damn it was too addicting. 3 hours passed by without noticing. I can see why it's getting such price.

I'm not into Roguelike games but death in this isn't an issue. It's actually fun.

el3mel

Bought Immortals Fenyx Rising for 40 dollars on the sale on PS4. Decided to skip Watch Dogs Legion, the premise just doesn't attract me, maybe when it drops to 20 dollars or below.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Bought Immortals Fenyx Rising for 40 dollars on the sale on PS4. Decided to skip Watch Dogs Legion, the premise just doesn't attract me, maybe when it drops to 20 dollars or below.
I'm enjoying it so far, bought it the other day myself.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
First time in years where I'm bouncing between multiple games. Death Stranding, Crash 4 and Ghost of Tsushima. They're all so good.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Anyone played Greedfall? It’s free with game pass on Xbox. Worth playing?

Tiber

Kakarot has its issues, mainly due to a number of clunky feeling Japanese style gamedev decisions.

But a lot of the time it really does feel like you are playing an episode of the show

The game oozes Dragonball

Irwin99

Random question: why do people not like Dark Souls 2 in the Souls series? I'm replaying it after 5 years of neglecting it (and other Souls games) and I'm enjoying it so far. I like the safe space of the main town hub and the travel feature.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Random question: why do people not like Dark Souls 2 in the Souls series? I'm replaying it after 5 years of neglecting it (and other Souls games) and I'm enjoying it so far. I like the safe space of the main town hub and the travel feature.
Because they all have horrible taste. DS2 Scholar of the First Sin is the best Souls game, in my opinion.

- Best PVP. This isn't even up for debate.

- Best builds. It has the most weapons and magic in the series. Power-stancing opens up even more options for all of them.

- Best NG+. Lots of remixed enemies, tweaked boss fights, new unlockable souls and weapons.

- Best DLC. Artorias of the Abyss was good in the first game but the three add-ons in DS2 are a level above and has some of the best boss fights and areas in the whole series (Eleum Loyce and its boss).

- Majula.

el3mel

I have put 11 hours so far in Hades. Absolutely phenomenal game.

I'm on my 28th run and still didn't manage to escape though. Just starting to be able to defeat the 3rd boss a little bit easier. Will probably take me up to 35 or 40 runs or so before I get my first successful run, unless I get lucky.

Irwin99

Because they all have horrible taste. DS2 Scholar of the First Sin is the best Souls game, in my opinion.

- Best PVP. This isn't even up for debate.

- Best builds. It has the most weapons and magic in the series. Power-stancing opens up even more options for all of them.

- Best NG+. Lots of remixed enemies, tweaked boss fights, new unlockable souls and weapons.

- Best DLC. Artorias of the Abyss was good in the first game but the three add-ons in DS2 are a level above and has some of the best boss fights and areas in the whole series (Eleum Loyce and its boss).

- Majula.
I love the Majula camp. Feel so safe there :D I'm a recent convert to the series but I'm really enjoying DS2 a lot. It does seem a bit easier than DS1 but that could be that i'm either used to the game or i'm a better sorcerer/mage than melee character (as I was in 1)

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I love the Majula camp. Feel so safe there :D I'm a recent convert to the series but I'm really enjoying DS2 a lot. It does seem a bit easier than DS1 but that could be that i'm either used to the game or i'm a better sorcerer/mage than melee character (as I was in 1)
It is...except for the pigs!

Siorac

Lots of reasons but I can only speak for my own.

- Sluggish, weird character movement with a pretty annoying controller deadzone - essentially, your character has four-directional movement which is highly inconvenient when, say, balancing on some narrow thing. And even without that the character somehow feels like it's wading through mud. Can't really explain why.

- Adaptability. Tying your rolling i-frames to a stat was just a horrible idea.

- The change to parrying was shite. Wait until the opponent falls down because you can't riposte until then... just stupid.

- Often assholish enemy placement, full of stupid ambushes. Scholar of the First Sin Iron Keep can eat a bag of dicks.

- Uninspiring boss design. It has tons of bosses but most of them are just forgettable. Their mechanics, their design, their music.

- Adaptability.

- The online design. In Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls, if you wanted to avoid invasions, all you had to do was avoiding playing in human form and body form, respectively. In Dark Souls 2, you can be invaded while hollow so if you want to play in peace, you must play offline.

- Minor thing but I hate how my character sounds when hit or when he dies.

- Also, Adaptability. Did I mention it also has an impact on how fast you drink Estus? Who the feck came up with that idea...

- I also dislike that fall damage is an absolute value instead of a percentage of HP.

- Some enemies are absolute utter bullshit. The mace Drakekeepers with their infinite stamina and animation cancelling are the single most unfair foes in the Souls series.

- No i-frames when opening doors or going through the fog. Annoying when you're trying to hurry.

If you enjoy it, good for you. It did a couple of things right - bonfire ascetics was a good idea. But for me, playing it is an absolute chore and it's by far the weakest in the series.

Superunknown

I think I'm maybe 2/3rds of the way through Ni No Kuni. The game is soooo good. Makes me wish that we saw more hand drawn animations. :drool:
The battle system is fun as hell and I'm loving the Pokémon-esque familiars that you can catch and fight as. The game is just too good. Has anyone played the second? Is that worth playing and is it a similar sort of game?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think I'm maybe 2/3rds of the way through Ni No Kuni. The game is soooo good. Makes me wish that we saw more hand drawn animations. :drool:
The battle system is fun as hell and I'm loving the Pokémon-esque familiars that you can catch and fight as. The game is just too good. Has anyone played the second? Is that worth playing and is it a similar sort of game?
The battle system is different (no familiars to catch) and not as fun but it’s still a decent enough game. They added skirmishes which are fairly fun though. The first is definitely a lot better in the gameplay regard. The story/movie sequences are still good enough in the second to make it worth playing.

Superunknown

The battle system is different (no familiars to catch) and not as fun but it’s still a decent enough game. They added skirmishes which are fairly fun though. The first is definitely a lot better in the gameplay regard. The story/movie sequences are still good enough in the second to make it worth playing.
Cheers! Ah, in a way at least it's not just a carbon copy of the first game. I'll have a look for a good deal and will get on that.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Platinum #14 - Rime (2017/PS4, PC, Switch and Xbox One)

Nice little game but pretty sad.
Seeing you mention platinums made me count how many I have. 8. Oddly enough, half are the big Sony exclusives...

God of War.
Spider-Man.
Bloodborne.
Horizon: Zero Dawn.

3 are Telltales games. These must be free platinums because I only played them once...

The Walking Dead.
Game of Thrones.
Tales from the Borderlands.

And this odd one all on its own...

Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Seeing you mention platinums made me count how many I have. 8. Oddly enough, half are the big Sony exclusives...

God of War.
Spider-Man.
Bloodborne.
Horizon: Zero Dawn.

3 are Telltales games. These must be free platinums because I only played them once...

The Walking Dead.
Game of Thrones.
Tales from the Borderlands.

And this odd one all on its own...

Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy.
I had six when this year started (from 2010-2019). Yeah, the Telltale games are easy platinums. Mine:

1. Tearaway (Vita)
2. The Walking Dead (Vita)
3. Destiny (PS3/PS4)
4. Rocket League (PS4)
5. No Man's Sky (PS4)
6. Final Fantasy XV (PS4)

then this year's

7. Burly Men At Sea (PS4) - easy, basically a pick a path
8. Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)
9. LEGO Ninjago Movie: The Videogame (PS4) - another easy one, complete the story and get the collectibles
10. Astro's Playroom (PS5) - easy
11. Days Gone (PS4)
12. Bugsnax (PS5) - easy
13. God of War (PS4)
14. Rime (PS4) - easy

Most of the games were either free with PS+ or accessible via the PS+ Collection.

I'm close on all four Uncharted mainline games but just need to do speedruns on each. Can't really be bothered with those at the moment but will probably revisit at the tail end of next year.

Siorac

I started playing God of War but it was probably a mistake to do it immediately after Demon's Souls. The combat is a bit shit so far and I'd be more willing to put up with that if I hadn't just spent 80 hours with Souls combat.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I started playing God of War but it was probably a mistake to do it immediately after Demon's Souls. The combat is a bit shit so far and I'd be more willing to put up with that if I hadn't just spent 80 hours with Souls combat.
Yeah it's too close. I liked GoW, at times loved it, but it is a souls-lite and the enemy spawns are horrible and cheap design.

Play something else first, then go back. It's a great game if you give it a chance.

Chairman Steve

I went on a point-and-click puzzle adventure game spree over Christmas with the Steam Christmas Sales. I adore the Lucasarts ones like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle etc

Picked up Thimbleweed Park by Ron Gilbert (main creator of Monkey Island 1-2). He definitely made that with it being a loveletter to that genre in mind, with the verb list, the difficulty of puzzles, the classic digs at the Roberta Williams/Sierra puzzle adventure games. I hope he gets to make his version of Monkey Island 3 at some point. Pretty good game for what it was. Makes me sad that it needed crowdfunding.

Bought Day of the Tentacle Remastered. Had played the original in 90s but I had very conveniently forgotten the puzzles which was nice. It still holds up as good fun with challenging puzzles... loved that the original Manic Mansion was placed within the actual game too.

Also bought Escape from Monkey Island too for like £2.00 as I'd lost my original CDs and hadn't played it in years. I have no idea how they did it but they took the Grim Fandango engine and made it somehow worse (tank controls suck and it's a disgusting polygon fest). I typically enjoy the majority of the game until the Monkey Kombat bit which is infuriating and just not fun.

Point-and-click puzzle adventure games should surely be making a comeback these days with people liking games deemed 'walking simulators' and people being very invested in story in games now. Grim Fandango is a good example of video games being art.

Robertd0803

I got GTAV for the PS4 as a Xmas gift and enjoying it so far. Going to take ages though because I dont get a lot of playing time, got FFVII Remake in for my birthday earlier this year and only as far as Aeriths house.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Just ordered Jedi Fallen Order. First SW game I've ever played.

Last edited:

el3mel

I have been playing the Wolfenstein reboot for the first time. Pretty weird that The New Order runs much worse on my PC than The New Colossus despite being older ? TNC ran flawlessly on high settings while I have to keep TNO on medium to prevent frames drops.

Irwin99

Completed Dark Souls 2 which was good fun but exhausting near the end. Now on to Dark Souls 3 and died twice on the first boss before JUST managing it on the third attempt. I've picked an assassin class as i figured it would be a nice mix of warrior and sorcerer playstyles of my choices from the first and second games

Wish people would stop calling me 'ashen one' as I made my character have a dark skin tone this time. It just er, feels a bit weird :nervous:

Siorac

Wish people would stop calling me 'ashen one' as I made my character have a dark skin tone this time. It just er, feels a bit weird
:lol: It's not about your skin colour though: you were burnt to ash by the First Flame in the past, reawakened when the Lords of Cinder refused to take their thrones.

Irwin99

:lol: It's not about your skin colour though: you were burnt to ash by the First Flame in the past, reawakened when the Lords of Cinder refused to take their thrones.
I know that :D ashen just also means deathly pale and sickly and now the characters don't look hollow when they die (as far as i can tell so far). My character looks the very picture of health :D

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
So flying through the witness. Got to a sandy area and have not a clue the solution to the puzzles, can't see any logic so far.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
So flying through the witness. Got to a sandy area and have not a clue the solution to the puzzles, can't see any logic so far.
@RedSky had a great playthrough of the whole thing. I'm sure that you can eventually figure it out, but if you're absolutely stuck, know that you can reach out to RedSky if required.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Just playing Frostpunk. Very good if anyone likes stratgey / resource management games and hasn't played it. Quite a different take on it and can be quite an emotional experience.

Irwin99

Think my Dark souls 3 save took pity me and bugged out the fight with the Greatwood. The music didn't play and phase 2 didn't activate and I got a lucky, cheesy win :p