Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Just realised its over 9 years since Skyrim was first released.
Skyrim was released 9 years ago
Half-Life 2 was released 7 years before that
Half-Life (OG) was released 6 years before that.
Doom (OG) was released 5 years before that.

Two take aways;
  • Video Game technology has plateaued massively.
  • My life is halfway gone

Drainy

Skyrim was released 9 years ago
Half-Life 2 was released 7 years before that
Half-Life (OG) was released 6 years before that.
Doom (OG) was released 5 years before that.

Two take aways;
  • Video Game technology has plateaued massively.
  • My life is halfway gone
Feel the same regarding the second point, but my thought was fecking hell Bethesda is so slow at working and it's not like they code well :lol:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Feel the same regarding the second point, but my thought was fecking hell Bethesda is so slow at working and it's not like they code well :lol:
:lol: To be fair they have released one game since then...

As well as Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim

Drainy

:lol: To be fair they have released one game since then...

As well as Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim
Less said about Fallout 4 the better..

Then to strip out the multi player online the made for it, give it to their B team and charge people full price for it as though its a new AAA BGS game :lol:

el3mel

Finished the Wolfenstein reboot, The New Order and The New Colossus. Good shooters but have a lot of problems unfortunately. One of my biggest complaints about the game is how the difficulty is very uneven, some very easy sections followed by a ridiculous spike and so on. Some encounters design in both was really frustrating, but both are fun enough to play.

However Doom and its combat design is on a whole different level in comparison to Wolfenstein.

Tiber

3 months of gamepass ultimate on PC for £1 is a rather good deal.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Experiencing a few glitches and framerate issues with Jedi: Fallen Order which is a shame as I'm ,outside of that, enjoying the game.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
Trying to beat the Nameless King in Dark Souls 3 at the minute. He’s so fecking hard. The camera doesn’t help much either haha

caid

Trying to beat the Nameless King in Dark Souls 3 at the minute. He’s so fecking hard. The camera doesn’t help much either haha
Fight with the dragon beforehand just completely puts me off and makes him so much harder.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
Fight with the dragon beforehand just completely puts me off and makes him so much harder.
Yeah the camera for that phase is so fecking annoying. It’s so mentally draining fighting the dragon so when I actually get past him and fight the nameless king on foot he just wrecks me in 30 seconds haha. Doesn’t help that I have the bad habit of panic rolling, which he punishes harder then any other boss I’ve fought so far.

caid

Yeah the camera for that phase is so fecking annoying. It’s so mentally draining fighting the dragon so when I actually get past him and fight the nameless king on foot he just wrecks me in 30 seconds haha. Doesn’t help that I have the bad habit of panic rolling, which he punishes harder then any other boss I’ve fought so far.
Yeah, they're kind of polar opposites of bosses. Dragon is messy and is nearly about just surviving with spam rolling. Then it gives you a really technical boss with a very weird rhythm that needs a lot of precision. Dragon killed me often enough that just getting attempts against 2nd phase were so long apart that he was really, really, annoyingly hard to learn.
I caved and summoned help (which made him stupidly easy as always). I'd played through dark souls 1 and 2 just before starting 3 and was very burnt out on the series by that point. Fighting the painted world boss just before didn't help my patience for him.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
There is some spell that shoots black orbs that is his cryptonite.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Anyone played 13 sentinels: Aegis Rim? Worth it?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Strange how I've never really posted in this thread.

Nothing wrong with Fallout 4. I liked it a lot
Less said about Fallout 4 the better..
I hated Fallout 4.

Felt like a big vast space of nothing. Poor world building, poor writing and average gameplay. Although Fallout 3 would have also aged poorly by now I imagine, that was so much better for its time than 4 was for its.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
EA losing the full Star Wars license, only for Ubisoft to be announced to be making an open world SW game :lol:
Standard Ubisoft fare, I suppose. Colossal empty open world, a map with thousands of icons, towers, XP boosters, bland story and characters.

But it'll still sell 10+ million.

Siorac

Looking at the team, it's basically going to be The Division with lasers and lightsabers.
Oh good, I always wanted yet another fecking online game with bullet sponge enemies and enough microtransactions to prop up the GDP of a small country.

Ainu

Oh good, I always wanted yet another fecking online game with bullet sponge enemies and enough microtransactions to prop up the GDP of a small country.
But aren't you excited about the post-launch roadmap and season pass which will undoubtedly be announced months before the game releases? :drool:

Siorac

But aren't you excited about the post-launch roadmap and season pass which will undoubtedly be announced months before the game releases? :drool:
I'm salivating at the thought of unlockable lightsaber skins that only require 7900 hours of grinding.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
To be fair Ubisoft get a bad (slightly unfair) rep but they are frankly a million miles better than EA who literally churn out awful game, after awful game.

Siorac

To be fair Ubisoft get a bad (slightly unfair) rep but they are frankly a million miles better than EA who literally churn out awful game, after awful game.
EA have worse business practices - Evil Corp indeed - but creatively speaking, Ubisoft is every bit as bland, devoid of ideas, and formulaic as any famously EAesque EA game.

Ainu

Ubi games are almost always "decent". The problem is that their design philosophy has had an enormous impact on the entire gaming industry, leading to an obsession with busywork in pretty much all open-world titles or as some would call it the workification of video games. I actively despise them for it.

It's probably fair to say their monetization model isn't as bad as EA though.

TrustInJanuzaj

EA have worse business practices - Evil Corp indeed - but creatively speaking, Ubisoft is every bit as bland, devoid of ideas, and formulaic as any famously EAesque EA game.
Not sure I agree, look at the diversity of games that Ubisoft make and while they have some similarities its a very diverse gaming lineup offering a bit of everything. I'm really enjoying AC Valhalla, it probably isn't getting the plaudits it deserves. Equally, Immortals Fenix Rising is getting good reviews and that's just in the last few months. Can't really remember the last EA game I've enjoyed and even the crap they are claiming is FIFA has got worse year on year.

TrustInJanuzaj

Ubi games are almost always "decent". The problem is that their design philosophy has had an enormous impact on the entire gaming industry, leading to an obsession with busywork in pretty much all open-world titles or as some would call it the workification of video games. I actively despise them for it.

It's probably fair to say their monetization model isn't as bad as EA though.
I do get you on this one, but they have also made some brilliant gaming experiences. I think back to even the original Assassin Creed and it was way ahead of its time, Black Flag (despite not being my personal taste) was a really unique experience. The older Far Cry games (2/3) were really well made and raised the bar on open-world activities. The worst they have done is Odyssey which despite being an okay game, was just a ridiculous scale but I actually think AC Valhalla has gone a significant way to reducing those issues. Overall, they have done a few questionable things and I think they are prone to resting on their laurels and over milking their franchises but eventually they always push a bit of innovation which I don't think EA have ever achieved.

Siorac

I do get you on this one, but they have also made some brilliant gaming experiences. I think back to even the original Assassin Creed and it was way ahead of its time, Black Flag (despite not being my personal taste) was a really unique experience. The older Far Cry games (2/3) were really well made and raised the bar on open-world activities. The worst they have done is Odyssey which despite being an okay game, was just a ridiculous scale but I actually think AC Valhalla has gone a significant way to reducing those issues. Overall, they have done a few questionable things and I think they are prone to resting on their laurels and over milking their franchises but eventually they always push a bit of innovation which I don't think EA have ever achieved.
Hey, Jedi: Fallen Order managed to introduce Mongolian throat singing into Star Wars!

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
More generally was that game any good? I've heard mixed reviews.
It's decent enough, depending on how much you like SW it could even be great for you.

It's a mish-mash of mediocre gameplay taken from various other games though, the story whilst ok is written poorly (especially the dialogue) and the level design is tedious at very best. However it does actually play ok and it does do SW really well. It's a good base to build on for a sequel, but it's now unclear if that will even happen with the licensing stuff going on.

TrustInJanuzaj

It's decent enough, depending on how much you like SW it could even be great for you.

It's a mish-mash of mediocre gameplay taken from various other games though, the story whilst ok is written poorly (especially the dialogue) and the level design is tedious at very best. However it does actually play ok and it does do SW really well. It's a good base to build on for a sequel, but it's now unclear if that will even happen with the licensing stuff going on.
Fair enough, I'm probably not enough of a star wars fan to really appreciate it. I good star wars game for me would have to fall back on the gameplay.

Redlambs

Fair enough, I'm probably not enough of a star wars fan to really appreciate it. I good star wars game for me would have to fall back on the gameplay.
It's not terrible on the gameplay front, it can be quite fun. It's just riddled with terrible design choices, and is nothing you haven't played before. But again, there are a lot worse games you could play.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
pros and cons about all studios who might potentially get the SW license. Lets give Ubisoft benfit of the doubt

I think a lot of people liked the Jedi Fallen Order game from EA so I assumed they had turned a corner. I thought it was solid but not great

Ainu

I'll admit I do occasionally play a Ubisoft game when it has a 50%+ reduction, while I stay the feck away from anything EA does. There's always some enjoyment to be had in Ubisoft games before the fatigue inevitably sets in. EA are just garbage in every way. It's a shame though, they had that interesting short period of creativity over a decade ago when they released the first Mass Effect, Skate, Dead Space and Mirror's Edge.

Redlambs

I'll admit I do occasionally play a Ubisoft game when it has a 50%+ reduction, while I stay the feck away from anything EA does. There's always some enjoyment to be had in Ubisoft games before the fatigue inevitably sets in. EA are just garbage in every way. It's a shame though, they had that interesting short period of creativity over a decade ago when they released the first Mass Effect, Skate, Dead Space and Mirror's Edge.
True, and then they sadly started dumbing again for sales. Especially with Dead Space :(