Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

el3mel

Ehhh? Sony own the lot and it's their decision. Nothing to do with studios. They know it's a easy cash grab releasing games after a year or so on PC. It's their new business model, I did tell @esmufc07 he was about to lose exclusives, but that guy never listens.
Thinking about it now I can see the scheme. Release it on PS for 2 years or so to guarantee the majority will buy the console and the game, then when it gets old release it again on PC for it to start selling all over again and get more money, winning in both directions.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Ehhh? Sony own the lot and it's their decision. Nothing to do with studios. They know it's a easy cash grab releasing games after a year or so on PC. It's their new business model, I did tell @esmufc07 he was about to lose exclusives, but that guy never listens.
Still plenty of exclusives on PlayStation. Still 0 on Xbox.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Why dont Sony just bring out their own PC version of Steam or Epic? All their exclusives go there and they dont have to give anyone else a cut

caid

Why dont Sony just bring out their own PC version of Steam or Epic? All their exclusives go there and they dont have to give anyone else a cut
Because most who've tried have failed miserably. They dont have the library for an attempt to even be worthwhile.

caid

Funny thing is its MS's 3rd attempt or so. And they've put their games on steam now because unsurprisingly people weren't using it.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Platinum #16 - Control Ultimate Edition (2021/PS5)

Awful game summed up by not having a decent final trophy screenshot due to the great design decision to have it so that the last trophy will inevitably be spending 100 ability points.

At least one of the DLC trophies is bugged. Will try and complete the other DLC as it is straightforward but will be glad to see the back of this game.

Turns out it is also my 2000th trophy so will always have pride of place on PSNProfile sidebar.

AaronRedDevil

Platinum #16 - Control Ultimate Edition (2021/PS5)

Awful game summed up by not having a decent final trophy screenshot due to the great design decision to have it so that the last trophy will inevitably be spending 100 ability points.

At least one of the DLC trophies is bugged. Will try and complete the other DLC as it is straightforward but will be glad to see the back of this game.

Turns out it is also my 2000th trophy so will always have pride of place on PSNProfile sidebar.
Was the game bad? Thinking of playing it but was turned off after the first hour, just seemed boring.

Irwin99

Anyone done the platinums for the Dark Souls trilogy? I'm about 60-80% on all 3 but i'm throwing in the towel on these. Too grindy, too irritating.

Bojan11

The thorny issue of video game pricing has reared its head in recent weeks. First, Nintendo revealed a remaster of the Wii game The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, complete with $60/£50 price tag. Fans took to social media: How can Nintendo justify that? A port of a game at the same price as an entirely original product? People were furious, and then rushed to Amazon and pre-ordered it anyway.

The conversation was ignited again after PlayStation's recent State of Play event, particularly around Housemarque's PS5 title Returnal. Sony has slapped a $70/£70 price tag on the new horror IP, and Twitter decried the decision as folly. A new IP without any major marketable assets, releasing alongside bigger, more affordable products like Resident Evil: Village? It doesn't stand a chance.
Let's bring this back to the subject at hand -- and specifically Nintendo, which has almost always delivered high quality games, and has an active audience of fans who really value those experiences. It has always charged a premium price for Mario and Zelda products -- even in the mobile space -- and therefore the benefit vs cost equation works for Nintendo. Customers expect high quality and believe it to be worth a premium price.

A good example of this is Mario 3D All-Stars. The collection launched last September and was rather cheaply made -- it is three ports of old Mario games and a menu of music -- but it was priced at $60. Read the social media comments and it's clear that some fans felt charging full price for this was outrageous, and that Nintendo could either have given them more for their money or set a budget price.

Yet despite what was said on social media, Mario 3D All-Stars shipped 8.3 million globally. The reality is that customers expect to pay for Mario games, and $60 for 60 to 70 hours of gameplay -- less than $1 an hour -- is perceived as good value by those players.

To give a personal example (remember, value is subjective), and to bring us onto the topic of Sony, let's talk about the upcoming Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart -- which, like all full first-party PS5 games, is being sold in the UK for £70. I love Ratchet & Clank, it is one of my all-time favourite franchises, and my benefit expectation for the upcoming PS5 title is extremely high. Yet when I saw that price, I hesitated.

I have spent more than £70 on video games before, but I've not spent anywhere near that for a Ratchet & Clank title. In fact, the last game on PS4, the remake of the original, cost me £30 brand new. I do expect to pay more for an all-new PS5 title, but double the price? The benefit/cost equation isn't working so well in this case.

Unlike Nintendo, Sony doesn't have a reputation for high prices on software -- hardware is a different matter -- so trying to convince it fans that $70 for Ratchet & Clank or Returnal is good value is a tall order.
Of course, that quality needs to be delivered upon. If Sony doesn't keep up its run of form, the PlayStation Studios badge will become meaningless. Worldwide Studios games have to be big, high quality and the best at what they do, which is perhaps why Sony has invested in its bigger studios and cut teams like Japan Studio.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...rd-sword-and-the-value-of-video-games-opinion

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I downloaded a demo of some robo samurai first person fighting game last night. Cant remember what it was called. Looked quite good. I was rubbish at it, naturally.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

Irwin99

Is SOMA any good?
The enemies are absolute garbage but if you can get past that the story is brilliant. The ending and a lot of the interactions with characters in general were disturbing and I felt uncomfortable at times.

So in short if you can persevere with some gameplay elements and you like interesting stories then you'll enjoy it.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The enemies are absolute garbage but if you can get past that the story is brilliant. The ending and a lot of the interactions with characters in general were disturbing and I felt uncomfortable at times.

So in short if you can persevere with some gameplay elements and you like interesting stories then you'll enjoy it.
Ah thanks, mate has just completed it and he said pretty much the same. Enjoy a story driven game so I'm sure I will get some enjoyment out of it.

Why don’t you play Dead Space 1-3?
I will in due course.

It's got a very good story.

At the time people were expecting a direct sequel to Amnesia, which I think accounts for the poor reviews. It's a more thoughtful game than it is a poop your pants horror.
Thank you .

Bojan11

Ah thanks, mate has just completed it and he said pretty much the same. Enjoy a story driven game so I'm sure I will get some enjoyment out of it.

I will in due course.

Thank you .
Where is my thanks? I pulled a few strings to get that horror game trailer for you. And how will you play dead space?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
On Xbox you don’t need to bring out old consoles to play it. You just go to gamepass and there it is.
Yeah it’s definitely an advantage with the Xbox. So many PS1/PS2 games I would like to go through again but there’s no easy way to do so. Such a good back catalog of games - I hope Sony find some way in the future to do something similar to MS in that respect.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Is SOMA any good?

Yeah it's alright. An easy 10 trophies if that is your thing. Got them all in a day.