Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Ainu

I've never played the original Nier and loved Automata, so I'm definitely checking out Replicant. ACG's review was pretty glowing, even though the game looks rough.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Recently picked up No Mans Sky in the recent sale. Wasn’t sure what to think at first but it’s absolutely brilliant. So many in depth systems, it’s like the ultimate Star Wars fantasy played out. Seriously if you are on the fence give it a go because it’s genuinely great. Also the next gen update is class, runs so well.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Is it a redo of Automata, or a fresh game, or something else?

I adore so much of Automata in the style and story but there is so much low consequence, grindy gameplay that I doubt I'd play through it again without significant additions.
I was going to quotetag you actually. As Elly Melly says, it's a remake of the first Nier, which came out on the PS3 about 10 years ago? It had some super clunky gameplay by all accounts but I've heard the story is just as good and mind-feckey as Automata is.

It's on PC and the last-gen consoles if you haven't upgraded.

Last edited:

Siorac

Recently picked up No Mans Sky in the recent sale. Wasn’t sure what to think at first but it’s absolutely brilliant. So many in depth systems, it’s like the ultimate Star Wars fantasy played out. Seriously if you are on the fence give it a go because it’s genuinely great. Also the next gen update is class, runs so well.
For the sake of others, I'd add that pick it up only if you like the 'collect stuff - build stuff - go out to collect more stuff to be able to build more stuff' gameplay loop.

It's not my cup of tea so I couldn't get into it on two separate occasions. Same reason I completely neglect settlement building in Fallout 4.

Siorac

I was going to quote you actually. As Elly Melly says, it's a remake of the first Nier, which came out on the PS3 about 10 years ago? It had some super clunky gameplay by all accounts but I've heard the story is just as good and mind-feckey as Automata is.

And it brings back the "peek under the skirt of a certain character" achievement.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
For the sake of others, I'd add that pick it up only if you like the 'collect stuff - build stuff - go out to collect more stuff to be able to build more stuff' gameplay loop.

It's not my cup of tea so I couldn't get into it on two separate occasions. Same reason I completely neglect settlement building in Fallout 4.
I kind of agree to some degree but the exploration and upgrade system even leans into feeling RPG like too at times. Finding that rare ship or weapon upgrade is satisfying, but I know what you mean about the resource collecting. I think if you want an open-world space game there aren't many better from that I've played.

Revan

Assumptionman
Automata is in my top 3 of this past gaming generation. This seems like a semi remake, but not enough to be a proper one.
It is not a remake of Automata, but a remake of Nier (the original game). From what I’ve read, its gameplay is gonna be a mix between Nier and Automata, while the story is not gonna change at all from Nier.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It is not a remake of Automata, but a remake of Nier (the original game). From what I’ve read, its gameplay is gonna be a mix between Nier and Automata, while the story is not gonna change at all from Nier.
Yup, I know. Those sentences were not well put together at my end.

Siorac

It's not even really a remake, rather a remaster with some additional content, and we're getting the Japanese version of the protagonist of the original game instead of Papa Nier who was in the Western release.

el3mel

I was going to quote you actually. As Elly Melly says, it's a remake of the first Nier, which came out on the PS3 about 10 years ago? It had some super clunky gameplay by all accounts but I've heard the story is just as good and mind-feckey as Automata is.

Elly Melly? :D

thepolice123

Just got Days Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn both free on PS store. Hope they are worth the time.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Just got Days Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn both free on PS store. Hope they are worth the time.
HZD is brilliant.

I've been playing Powermonger on the WinUAE Amiga emulator. What I'd give for a modern update of this game. So many fond memories of playing it as a kid with my Dad.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Anyone play Disco Elysium on PS4 or PS5? I heard it's great but controller support is shite.
Ha, I was just browsing the PS Store to see if the price went down slightly. Its on my to play list but if the controller support is poor then,well, pointless purchasing it for the PS.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Gosh Subnautica is brilliant. I don't even achieve much in a sitting but I feel great while achieving that near feck all.

I should be progressing in FF7 but this is so much better.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Gosh Subnautica is brilliant. I don't even achieve much in a sitting but I feel great while achieving that near feck all.

I should be progressing in FF7 but this is so much better.
Yeah, it's great fun. I got the submarine and decided to play something else for a bit and haven't gone back. The leviathans are a total pain in the hole from what I remember.

MattofManchester

Yeah, it's great fun. I got the submarine and decided to play something else for a bit and haven't gone back. The leviathans are a total pain in the hole from what I remember.
They're quite avoidable, though. As long as you're not in the dead zone.

You should see the mod that was made to bring the Gargantuan leviathan to life. :drool:

jem

Assassin's Creed Origins is on sale for $16. Should I do it? I've been pretty underwhelmed by my limited experience with AC games in the past (the first one and Unity.) However, Origins seems to have pretty strong reviews.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Assassin's Creed Origins is on sale for $16. Should I do it? I've been pretty underwhelmed by my limited experience with AC games in the past (the first one and Unity.) However, Origins seems to have pretty strong reviews.
I'd say it's worth it for that price yeah, it's very different from the ones you've played and the Bayek is a good character

jem

I'd say it's worth it for that price yeah, it's very different from the ones you've played and the Bayek is a good character
Cheers - think I'll go for it. Getting my Astra Zeneca jab tomorrow and anticipating a day or two of being on the couch, so a new game will be just what I need!

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Just picked up assassin's creed Odyssey. First one I will have played since #3.

My mate who's given it to me has been raving about it but he's a Greek/Roman history geek so I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Do games purposely make writing ridiculously small? Contrast in menus sucks too.

Just went on division 2 for some reason and it's absolute garbage. Need binoculars to read their shite.

Seems to be a common theme among games though.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Did anybody play/finish The Evil Within back in the day? I'm at Chapter 10 now but just dropped down the difficulty as I want to get it over ASAP.

It's a shame really as it's now super easy - basically an action game - whereas before it was super tense. Problem is that the game is so frigging long and the story isn't any good. The reward of stealth killing enemies dropped around Chapter 7 and I was finding it hard to stay motivated.

I can't remember the last time I dropped the difficulty down to the easiest. Probably Bioshock Infinite.

caid

Did anybody play/finish The Evil Within back in the day? I'm at Chapter 10 now but just dropped down the difficulty as I want to get it over ASAP.

It's a shame really as it's now super easy - basically an action game - whereas before it was super tense. Problem is that the game is so frigging long and the story isn't any good. The reward of stealth killing enemies dropped around Chapter 7 and I was finding it hard to stay motivated.

I can't remember the last time I dropped the difficulty down to the easiest. Probably Bioshock Infinite.
I gave up a 3/4 of hours in. Every section i played took 5+ attempts. Any tension that existed on the first attempt was long gone by the time i got past each section. I think they added super easy after release and i tried that for a bit at which point it becomes a bit more obvious how janky and mediocre the whole thing was.

AaronRedDevil

Just picked up assassin's creed Odyssey. First one I will have played since #3.

My mate who's given it to me has been raving about it but he's a Greek/Roman history geek so I'm not getting my hopes up too much.
Best AC since Brotherhood imo. It has everything.

AaronRedDevil

Do games purposely make writing ridiculously small? Contrast in menus sucks too.

Just went on division 2 for some reason and it's absolute garbage. Need binoculars to read their shite.

Seems like every game is made for PC monitors. Couldn't play Stellaris for that reason. Smallest fecking writing I've ever seen, literally couldn't read a fecking word.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I gave up a 3/4 of hours in. Every section i played took 5+ attempts. Any tension that existed on the first attempt was long gone by the time i got past each section. I think they added super easy after release and i tried that for a bit at which point it becomes a bit more obvious how janky and mediocre the whole thing was.
I liked the replaying aspect at first because it felt like I needed to learn how to play it properly (i.e. conserve ammo, not go running into a hoard of zombinos, etc).

Then I realised it was just hard work and there's also a whole bunch of random insta-kills which set me back 20 minutes every time. I don't know why they thought to design a 15-hour game like that.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

I couldn’t play the last Fire Emblem for that reason. It was very annoying and easily avoidable on their end.

caid

I liked the replaying aspect at first because it felt like I needed to learn how to play it properly (i.e. conserve ammo, not go running into a hoard of zombinos).

Then I realised it was a lot of hard work. I don't think you can sustain this sort of gameplay over 15 hours. And especially not when the story is shit.

I thought Alien Isolation had the same problem. In fact, typing this out makes me realise horror games probably only work when they're short (e.g. Silent Hill, Amnesia, Outlast).
I think they dont need to be hard, and its probably not in their interest to kill you more than occasionally. Dieing in Alien releases all the tension and you come back gamifying it a bit (go to computer here, hit x 3 times, go to vent, avoid x room). After dieing in an area a couple times, i'm not that tense anymore. More frustrated probably.
I remember the first death or two vividly but i'm barely paying attention the 4th time it turns around at an inconvenient time, it gets an eye roll probably.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I think they dont need to be hard, and its probably not in their interest to kill you more than occasionally. Dieing in Alien releases all the tension and you come back gamifying it a bit (go to computer here, hit x 3 times, go to vent, avoid x room). After dieing in an area a couple times, i'm not that tense anymore. More frustrated probably.
I remember the first death or two vividly but i'm barely paying attention the 4th time it turns around at an inconvenient time, it gets an eye roll probably.
Yep - I felt the same way. It's a shame as Alien Isolation was such a well-crafted game and so brilliantly recreated the Alien universe. At 6-7 hours, with less Xenomorph moments, it would have been absolutely superb.

el3mel

I honestly only played the second game. Skipped the first one.

el3mel

Second game was really good, I thought. Reminded me a lot of Alan Wake.
Yes I quite liked it, though I felt its second half was step down from the first half. Once those fire enemies started to got introduce I felt the quality of the game dropped, but the first half in Union was really great.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
So I finished The Evil Within yesterday and here's some thoughts:
  • Incredibly lopsided gameplay; it doesn't know whether it wants to be a survival horror or an action horror and it's both, whenever it chooses.
  • The story is poorly told and awfully presented with charisma-less characters and not a hint of humour about its self-serious facade.
  • The atmosphere is top notch. It's more creepy than scary but the visual design of about 80% of levels and enemies really stands out.
  • It's way way way way too long, especially for how hard it is. I dropped the difficulty down about 40% in and it improved my enjoyment tons.
  • It's still not easy on casual because there's so many random deaths, many of which feel cheap and annoying.
  • Bear traps didn't need to be in the game at all. There's no bears ffs. Acid traps are stupid too.
  • The ending is the worst part. The first 4/5 chapters are the best.
  • At one point I ragequit and uninstalled it, only to later reinstall it, forcing myself to finish it.
All in all, an okay but unspectacular game. I just read a review that implied Mikami and his team didn't know what made Resident Evil 4 so good and agree.

The sequel - which I played a few years back - is an improvement in every single way except for the atmosphere.

Now I'm playing Halo: ODST which is a markedly more fun game.

Last edited:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
So I finished The Evil Within yesterday and here's some thoughts:
  • Incredibly lopsided gameplay; it doesn't know whether it wants to be a survival horror or an action horror and it's both, whenever it chooses.
  • The story is poorly told and awfully presented with charisma-less characters and not a hint of humour about its self-serious facade.
  • The atmosphere is top notch. It's more creepy than scary but the visual design of about 80% of levels and enemies really stands out.
  • It's way way way way too long, especially for how hard it is. I dropped the difficulty down about 40% in and it improved my enjoyment tons.
  • It's still not easy on casual because there's so many random deaths, many of which feel cheap and annoying.
  • Bear traps didn't need to be in the game at all. There's no bears ffs. Acid traps are stupid too.
  • The ending is the worst part. The first 4/5 chapters are the best.
  • At one point I ragequit and uninstalled it, only to later reinstall it, forcing myself to finish it.
All in all, an okay but unspectacular game. I just read a review that implied Mikami and his team didn't know what made Resident Evil 4 good and agree.

The sequel - which I played a few years back - is an improvement in every single way except for the atmosphere.

Now I'm playing Halo: ODST which is a markedly more fun game.
I'm not sure if it's in a specific thread, but when this launched I went i to detail about the development of this game and why it's so disjointed.

But to sum up, it's basically made up of bits and pieces he was forced to cut from the first few iterations of Resi 4. There exist (I think off the top of my head 3) other actual playable versions of 4, including one with the opening chase from EW.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm not sure if it's in a specific thread, but when this launched I went i to detail about the development of this game and why it's so disjointed.

But to sum up, it's basically made up of bits and pieces he was forced to cut from the first few iterations of Resi 4. There exist (I think off the top of my head 3) other actual playable versions of 4, including one with the opening chase from EW.
Ah, I didn't know that. Helps explain why it feels a little all over the shop.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Done with ixion on returnal. Getting the tool after feels so good. Can finally reach more points in the first area. :lol: